Start by marking “Not My Kid” as Want to Read:
Not My Kid

Not My Kid

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Megan Reilly is a newly divorced single mom trying to raise two sons. She is also an ambitious journalist covering a story about bomb threats at her son's middle school. After her thirteen-year-old, Cameron, is arrested for shoplifting, he becomes the prime suspect in Megan's big story. Her response is, "Not my kid." As the case against Cameron builds, even the man who lov ...more
Published May 5th 2011 by Camel Press (first published April 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not My Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not My Kid

Rebecca McNutt
Not My Kid is an honest and profound sort of story, bringing readers into the wold of a woman who doubts that her son has a problem even when it's happening right in front of her.
Karen
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sometimes free offers should be turned down. This book was definitely one of those times. I did finish it since I really hate not to start and finish a book. The only reason I gave it a 2* instead of a 1 is because I was able to endure it and finish, it was free-though If it was costly as far as money goes, I probably would have saved myself how annoyed these characters got me, The mom, the cop and the ex. The "not my kid"-the focus of the title was the only thing good about the book. This is my ...more
Bren
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book pulled me in with the plot. It was an excellent read. I was really hooked on the characters of the story and looked forward to seeing how it all worked out...

Except for the fact that the ending was completely rushed. It didn't tie up all the loose ends. It was written as if it was on a deadline and there were just minutes left to finish the ending.

I was extremely disappointed in the ending. It was pushed and there were lingering lines that were not tied up. What happened with the fath
Lillie
Each chapter was written in first person from the POV of a character. Unusual as it was, I found it interesting as the character's name was in the chapter title, and each chapter was very short, helping to avoid confusion (although a couple of times I had to go back and look to remind myself whose POV we were in). The reader was able to understand each character better by getting into his or her head. The story was very believable, and I imagine similar situations occur in many families all the ...more
Ted
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author creates a quick pace through her use of short paragraphs and frequent shifts in point of view. I found the story very engaging. Mary's choice to tell the story in first person point of view was not especially creative, telling the story in first person point of view with ever-changing characters, however, was brilliant. The familiar Wyoming setting added a nice sense of reality, but knowing the author personally really brought the story to life. Nice job Mary!
Michelle Turner
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I happened across "Not My Kid..." and I'm glad I did. It's a great read. It's fast-paced without sacrificing content. The characters are believable and it didn't drag. It kept me interested to the end. And then it did what any great book does, it tore at my heartstrings and made me think...what would I do if it were my kid in trouble? It rang true to the end without settling with a neatly tied up conclusion. I really like this new author.
Sandra
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking. Billiter tells the story of a teenager who leaves notes making terroristic threats - and makes us understand why, even root for the kid. The story is told from multiple points of view, including the kid himself, his parents, a cop, a lawyer, etc., all of which serve to round out the story and add dimension.
Ro
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Didn't think I'd like this book but I was pleasantly surprised! My kids are still small so I am not yet dealing with issues discussed in this book. However, this story was very riveting! Took it on vacation and could not put it down!!!! A great beach read.
I am sure if anyone has dealt with the issues of spousal abuse and how it can affect family dynamics, you will really be hooked. Loved it.
Ben
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
For a first novel, this was an excellent read! Mary's voice really comes through in her writing! It was awesome to read it this year because I had the pleasure to teach one of her twin boys this year!
Sally
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A real page-turner written with journalistic precision. The characters and plot are so realistic they make you squirm, but are also easy to relate to. The author has a gift for conveying modern life, situations and people.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Single moms, domestic violence, kids in trouble, troubled adults 1 2 May 03, 2012 03:19PM
Mary Billiter is a weekly newspaper columnist, romance author and college writing instructor. She also has novels published under the pen name, “Pumpkin Spice.”

Mary resides in the Cowboy State with her unabashedly bald husband, her four amazing children, two fantastic step-kids, and their runaway dog. She does her best writing (in her head) on her daily runs in wild, romantic, beautiful Wyoming.

Re
More about Mary Billiter...