Start by marking “The Dark Earl” as Want to Read:
The Dark Earl

The Dark Earl (The Peers of the Realm Trilogy #3)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A sensual new Victorian romance from the New York Times bestselling author of The Irish Duke. When Lady Harriet Hamilton and Viscount Thomas meet, Thomas finds her outspoken, and yet, quite a beauty. But Thomas is committed to restoring the family holdings, not chasing a wife. If only Harry wasn't making herself right at home...
Published September 6th 2011 by Signet (first published September 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Earl

Bookaholics
Sep 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The Dark Earl by Virginia Henley
Historical Romance -Sept. 6th, 2011
3 stars

Thanks to his father, the Earl of Lichfield, Thomas Anson watches as everything in Shugborough is auctioned off and the family’s hunting lodge nearby burned to the ground for insurance money. Angry and bitter, he vows to restore Shugborough back to its former glory no matter the cost. When he meets the precocious and willful Harry (Harriet’s nickname) daughter of the Duke of Abercorn, he realized that she is his solution.
Trudi Jorda
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit with a Heroine named Harry short for Harriet who speaks a bit too openly for Victorian Times (note- not a Regency) LOL the book is full of fun, scares and a closer look at Victorian times. I would actually reccomend this book to those who have a good sense of history, humor and unconventionality!
Reba Dom
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good read. Not fantastic but a good, easy book to read. The characters were funny, deep, and charismatic. The story line was well written with just enough details to be good but not too much to be boring. Well worth the read.
Magpie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Meryl review August 2017
Inoffensive fun - formulaic entry into the crowded historical romance field, suffering a little in comparison to Eloisa James who captures the escapist, erotic nature of her subject matter and writes extremely well to boot.
Harry and Thomas are minor aristocracy whose love life encounters a few ups and downs.
Have gained a new phrase in "bugger and balls!" And may be gleefully using in the very near future.
3 stars for the richness of the scenery and Thomas's attributes, 2 s
Lucy Qhuay
It is a great pity that I can't give more stars to this book.
However, there were several things that got on my last damn nerves! -.-'
First, I thought that the first meeting of the protagonists, that happened when the heroine, Harriet, was barely a child, was a bad start for their story.
I mean, I'm not seeing myself falling in love with a person that called me bitch or that accused me of theft.
But whatever, some years passed and by the time that they meet again, the hero, Thomas, is almost 30 and
LibraryDanielle
Mar 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
I was totally not impressed with this. Harry the main female, pushes society's rules to cause trouble, not out if any "ideals" like you're supposed to believe. 'lets wear short skirts to the Queen's ball!' and thomas, the male, is a hypocritical jerk. he doesn't like Harry because she's a "rebel" but wants her because of her money.

there were also some rather gratuitous tacky sex scenes, like at the first ball, the debutante who's parents were throwing the ball gives head to Harry's younger broth
Elis Madison
This is the third in the series, following The Irish Duke. This is the story of Louisa's daughter, Harriet (Harry), who falls in love with an estate, and then with its (eventual) owner, Thomas Anson, the (eventual) Earl of Lichfield. Again, these are historical people; I can't say how accurate the details are, though.

There are a couple misunderstandings and secrets that create a bit of drama, but this isn't a riveting story. 2.5 stars.
Tammy
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The only reasons I decided not to give it 5 stars is because I had issues with how the girls behaved. Very un-Victorian like, and not just a little bit, but a lot. Also a little un-lady like. However the love story at the heart of the book was enough for me to overlook these faults. I know a book is good when it sticks with me for a day or two after I've finished it as this one has.
Alex
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The main characters barely interacted

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
S
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paul-marron
Well, I guess I *have* read this book a while back, in trade. I just finished reading it as an ebook, too, thinking that I *didn't* finish reading this the last time.

Harry is a bit trying at times. She may be why I had forgotten I've read to the end before.
Katie Kuykendall
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Absolutely loved it! I found myself unable to put it down. I even read it to my client who was enthralled with it and asked me to read more books like this to her. A wonderful book!
ms bookjunkie

I do so love VH's historicals. She writes earthy heroines, hunky heroes, and vivid, rich, lush, sensual/scandalous history. Love love love!
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks
I liked this story. Good characters. Fun read
Rebecca
The best thing about this book? Thomas. He was the only reason I was able to finish it and give it 2 stars.
Robin
Feb 28, 2013 marked it as to-read-do-not-have
Book 3 in "The Peers of the Realm Trilogy"
Tyra
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good book.
Kris
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
DNF. Too modern. Too many characters. Too many witty repartees and clandestine make out sessions.

I do quite like the writing style. I may revisit in the future.
Chele Kispert
great series.
PWRL
Jun 06, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Kristy
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it

Typical historical love romance. Easy summer read.
Ann Unger
loved it
Rae
rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2011
Oct 26, 2012
Tbjmg Mom
Jan 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Trouble Me (The Rosewood Trilogy, #3)
  • How to Ruin a Reputation (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #2)
  • Pure Temptation
  • Not Fit for a King? (A Royal Scandal, #1)
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • The Couple Behind the Headlines
  • Return of the Moralis Wife
  • Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half (Beau Monde, #2)
  • The Trouble with Valentine's
  • Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure (Summersby #1)
  • Checkmate, My Lord (Nexus, #2)
  • What a Duke Wants
  • A Very Private Merger (Dynasties: The Kincaids. #6)
  • Society's Most Disreputable Gentleman (Wellingfords, #5)
  • Once Upon a Valentine: All Tangled Up\Sleeping with a Beauty\Catch Me
  • What Lies Beneath (Millionaires of Manhattan #1)
  • Waking Up in the Wrong Bed
  • My Wicked Little Lies (Wicked Family Secrets, #3)
Virginia Syddall was born on December 5, 1935 in England, where her father, Thomas Syddall, taught her to love history. She obtained a degree in History in the University. In 1956, Virginia married Arthur Henley. They moved to America, and now they live most of the year in St. Petersburg, Florida, and they spend the hot summers in Ontario, Canada, where they have their two adult children and three ...more
More about Virginia Henley...

The Peers of the Realm Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Decadent Duke