Start by marking “Pretend” as Want to Read:
Pretend

Pretend

What could have been a quiet afternoon at home turns into an adventure for Jimmy and his dad. Their couch turns into a boat! The staircase becomes a mountain! And blankets become a cozy hut, just right to cuddle inside. The one thing they don't have to pretend is how much they love one another.
Jennifer Plecas's bold artwork and lively text come together in a celebration
Published May 12th 2011 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Pretend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretend

Start your review of Pretend
The Library Lady
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love playing pretend games like "Going On A Bear Hunt" with the kids who come to my programs. I was tickled a year or two back when after doing a "Polar Bear" version of the game a preschool teacher reported that her group went back to school all pretending to still be shivering from their snow adventure!
Sadly, most of the grownups I run into don't seem to know how to PLAY with their kids.If it's not electronic or an activity planned and run by some group leader, they seem to freak out.

But
Lindsay Johnson
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"Pretend" is a children's book that takes place in a little boys living room. The boy and his father pretend they are in a boat in the ocean. The story continues as the boy and his father move to different parts of their house pretending they are sailors discovering an island. The book concludes with the father and the son coming back to reality and assuring each other that they are the best "pretenders".

This book would address imaginary play in the classroom. Children in the younger grades,
Caroline Daniel
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-4050
o Summary: A little boy is wanting his father to play pretend with him. The father and son duo never actually leave their house, but they pretend to do so. While playing pretend they travel in the ocean, go to an island, climb up a huge hill, and build themselves a fort. They both love their pretend experience and have lots of fun.
o Grade level: 3rd
o Appropriate classroom use this could be used as a read aloud and could also be used to tell students what the word pretend means if it is ever a
Cara Byrne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A little boy and his father engage in dangerous adventures - all without leaving their living room. This is a cute book about a kid with a giant imagination, and a nice reminder to parents to embrace the direction your child leads you in and play along.
Patricia
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic
Summary: This story is a bout a boy and his dad sitting in the living room and playing pretend. they pretend that the couch is a boat and they are out at sea. They travel to an island and build fires all while sitting on the couch. The father and son both have great imaginations.

Review: I really enjoyed this book because I like to read about the bond that the father and son have. They had fun together and it didn't cost any money. I love that they were able to have fun without any electronics.

Ashley Hubbard
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Pretend is such a cute book. It is about a young boy and his dad, who could have a quiet afternoon. But instead, they take an adventure! It allows kids to have extensive imagination. I give this book 5 stars because the illustrations are awesome. The author also seems like she has a great imagination for coming up with a book like this. I would definitely share this with my own kids, as well as my students.
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jimmy and his dad begin their adventure by pretending the couch is a boat. The story shows us the imagination of Jimmy in contrast to what him and his dad are actually doing.
This is great book to encourage students to compare and contrast what is in Jimmy’s imagination and what is really happening. I think all children can relate to this book and even adults!
Mary Madison
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
This book is about a young boy named Jimmy and his dad. They are just at home in real life, but they go amazing places by using their imaginations. They sail the seas and even find an island. This was a fun read. I would read this to a young classroom. I think it would show them the power of imagination.
Cheryl
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Any man who wants to be an even better Dad should read this book. But should kids? It seems kinda weird, to me, to read it from the perspective of a child. But then my kids haven't been Jimmy's age for many years so maybe I'm wrong. *I* liked it a lot.

Thank you Little Free Libraries.
A fun story about a little boy and his dad who pretend the couch is a boat and they proceed to have lots of adventures together. Sweet example of parent/child bonding and using your imagination. A nice read aloud for an imagination or father themed story time. Great illustrations, too!
Brian
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book has been in heavy rotation lately. I think this is great to help a child explore what their imagination could be.
Jenni Sauer
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book about using your imagination but very repetitive to read out loud (and not in the good way). But over all a pretty descent book!
Alaina Davidson
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and the idea it had. It can be very relatable for young kids when they enjoy pretending so much.
Cyndy
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really cute picture book about pretending. A father and son pretend to be lost at sea.
Sara
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love that this is a story of a young boy and his father playing pretend in the house. It's good to see a nice relationship between a father and son in this day and age. Lovely story.
McKendra Fisher
Really good book about pretending. Shows kids how much fun it can be to play with their family and make up stuff!
Chappyfamily
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good parental relationships
Kristen McBee
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a fun story about a boy and his dad playing pretend!
Rox
Nov 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is crap. “Jimmy said” and “dad said” appeared a bajillion times throughout. Horribly written. I gave this book to Goodwill just to get this piece of crap out of my house.
The Book Box
Mama read this to me the night we got it in the mail!
Morgan Baggett
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be great to read before making the student's write a fictional story. This story gives great examples of a child's imagination.
Allie Reitzell
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is for an advanced reader. This book can teach children to use their imagination.
Megan Cureton
Jimmy and his father love playing pretend together. Jimmy first asks his father to pretend they are on a boat and a shark is coming after them. Then they pretend they have fishing poles and catch some fish. They grill up their fish and eat them. After the meal, they search for land. They look through their binoculars and see an island so they paddle over to it. When the get out, they climb to the top because there are wild beasts that roam the island. They make it to the top of the mountain and ...more
Allison
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a little boy and his dad who play a fun game of pretend. The couch transforms into a boat, the carpet becomes water and some chocolate chip cookies become wild fish that they catch. The other room becomes a far off island, and the staircase is a mountain they climb to watch the sunset. They build a fort at the top and spend the rest of their time star gazing.

This book is appropriate for ages 4+

I would love to read this book with children and have them create an
Amber
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have never come across a picture book that promotes imagination like this one does. Better yet, what the boy pretends in the story, I can see little boys and girls actually pretending and coming up with some of the same things, such as making a fort out of chairs and pillows. Another thing that I loved about this book was the father and son bonding that was evident. Many kids can connect with this, but others cannot. However, they could still enjoy reading it because it is something that they ...more
Laura Marie
I read this to my niece today. I loved it! The father and son create a magical adventure..on the couch! They start off fighting sharks in the water and the story need with them climbing a mountain; making it to the top. The conclusion is the son telling the father he is the best in real life and in pretend. This is appropriate for Pre-k through 2nd or 3rd grade-depending on the maturity level of the class. It teaches children about using their imagination, close relationships with family ...more
Alison
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, grade-1
This was an interesting book that truly depicts the differences between an adults mind and a child's. The child can easily use his imagination to create these extravagant adventures that his dad can not see. However, with a little help from the child, the dad begins to see what the little boy is seeing and begins to enjoy himself. I would read this to my class and finish by asking why they think adults can not use their imagination as well as they can. I would also have them compare and contrast ...more
Rosa Cline
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a precious book to help kids with imagination. A little boy starts telling his dad that the couch they are sitting on is a boat and then uses his imagination and says they are in the ocean with sharks, then throughout the book the illustrations follow his and his Dad's imaginations but occaotionally it will show the 'real' things they use in their house (chairs, blankets, stairs etc) So in the end your child could do the same in your house, helping give them ideas to play. My ...more
Angie
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love pretend. I think kids have the best imaginations. I remember clearly pretending the sofa was a boat and there were sharks in the water. You couldn't step on the floor because the sharks would get you, so you had to travel from sofa to chair to table to keep away from them. Just like Jimmy I could be entertained for a long time with a game of pretend. It is really nice to see a book with a parent (dad) playing with the kids. Seems like a lot of adults can't do pretend anymore but Jimmy's ...more
Jordan Williams
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The reason I like this book so much is because it simply tells the story of a father and son spending time together. Unfortunately, we do not see this as much as we should. The child uses his imagination and their couch becomes a boat. It take the father a while to see what the child sees. This is great for children to maybe teach them to allow their imagination run wild. Children now days feel they need a computer, xbox, or cell phone to have fun. This book can show them that all they need is a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Otis and the Kittens
  • Read to Tiger
  • Luke Goes to Bat
  • Lion Lessons
  • Pup and Bear
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth