Start by marking “The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan: How to Take Charge, Build Your Team, and Get Immediate Results” as Want to Read:

Praise for The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan "What a book! New and experienced managers at every level will 'fly' with this programmed learning."
--The Honorable Bruce S. Gelb former vice chairman, Bristol-Myers Squibb

"I love this book and wish I had read it before stepping into my current leadership role. It provides a practical and indispensable road map to success th
Published April 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan

Start your review of The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan: How to Take Charge, Build Your Team, and Get Immediate Results
Patrick
This book is pretty much just as the title says. It's a self-onboarding guide for people moving into a new leadership position. At this, I felt it was both too detailed and not detailed enough.

It was too detailed in that there were many detailed plans that seemed like they may fit certain situations, but definitely not others. It was not detailed enough in that many steps in the plans were distressingly high level.

A couple of minor gripes: this falls into the category of business books that com
Steve
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone taking on a new job or a new leadership role
This book is highly useful and straightforward. The content is focused on developing an effective plan and why, with a minimum on filler stories and narratives which serve to stretch most business books to a requisite number of pages to qualify as a "book" instead of an article. There is an overall summary, as well as summaries for each section and chapter. ...more
Vasyl Pasternak
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great toolbox for a new leader.
Omar Manejwala
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually bought this book prior to starting a new senior level leadership role and found it to be extremely helpful. The advice is very practical and I found that sticking to the recommendations made my first 100 days very successful. I would recommend this, with the caveat that if you are starting a new leadership position, particularly large organization/senior level, that you finish reading it well before you start, even before you interview.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A should-read book new managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Yamato
Brandon Guse
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for new leader's or already experienced leaders that need a refresh as they start a new position. I read this book, as I start each new position to remind me of key strategic areas and focuses to have with my new role. Lays out a plan for first 30 days, 45, 100 days, etc. to walk you through the process. I use many of the suggestions to help with fuzzy front end start time and throughout the first 100 days. Worth the read and happy I was given this book 10+ years ago by a recruiter as ...more
Chandrashekar BC
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all leads who need to manage a "Team".
This book does not take "Personality development" approach with emotional quotient in it, instead takes practical approach which deals with
- how to plan
- Self learning
- information gathering ,
- prioritizing
- How to foresee risks and mitigation plan
- Importance of proactiveness etc..

Lessons are very simple crisp, with point wise listing of information.
Adam Puar
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a highly recommended books for new leaders who are starting a new role either within their current organization or in a new organization. It contains the practical tips techniques and templates on how to manage and organize workload, build relationships, communicate with teams within and outside the organization and most importantly how to build a strategy for long-term success.
Ezgi ☕️
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, career, reviewed
Great tool for new leaders. It gets into every detail you will need for your new position. I would recommend getting when you start your job hunt- it gives good insight to interviews and understanding of the company you want to work for.
Eric Michels
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Very weak book. The only positive I can offer is that it will only consume 20 minutes of your time. The one piece of advice offered here is to learn as much as possible about the position and walk in prepared on day one. The rest of the book is filler.
Ryan Munger
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
An okay book and probably worth reading for anyone stepping into a new leadership role. Although it seemed mostly useful for upper management so it would be better served for those stepping into middle management as that is where most new leaders start.
Valerie
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent business book, recently updated. Very consumable and applicable to starting off on the right foot as a leader - lots of great advice I wish I knew before!
Maggie Simmonds
was given to me by my new job
read this BEFORE you start the new job
Beverly McCall
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As part of new job I took, this book was on the reading list. New Leader’s 100-day Action Plan by Bradts, Check & Pedraza wrote this guide to assist executives in their transition into their new leadership role. They introduce the reader to a new lens that looks at their strengths and their challenges. They go a step further and provide case studies and advice as well as sample planning tools. The culminating activity that the reader walks away with is a 100-day Action Plan. In some circles this ...more
Michael Weening
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I have always been a fan of re-reading certain books when I transitioned roles. My favourite has always been The First 90 Days by Watkins as well as HBRs On Managing Yourself - specifically the Primal Leadership article which is a great reminder of the dangers of the pace-setter approach to leadership while under pressure.

I finally read this book and will now add it to my "Re-read when changing roles" list. Filled with a common sense approach, if you couple it with the learnings o
Crissman Loomis
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book on the most important actions to take as a leader in a new job. Read this before starting your new job, or you'll regret some of the things you'll realise you could have done to improve your position. The book marks the the big winners that often people don't do, like meeting with the key stakeholders before your official first day.

Just the approach to weekly staff meetings alone is worth reading the book for. I can't wait to implement in my company.

A must read for all executives.
Christopher
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am using this book as a guideline to getting a better job in my field. So far it has offered nothing but excellent advice on securing a job, negotiating a salary, and how to spend your first 100 days on the job to secure a solid long term position with the company.

I would read this in Junior year of college so you are prepared before entering the job market. I showed this book to a few people who were upset they missed out on such useful information.
Phillip Elliott
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
There are some great ideas and thoughts in this book. I am happy to have read it. It was light on preparation ideas. How does one research and plan, and I thought it was long on the actual implementation or execution. The Book had good information about communications. I liked the information even though one could argue that its old information that was covered better someplace else. I would argue that good ideas are worth repeating, and this is the right place to express those ideas.
John Stinebaugh
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So after my first pass through this book it is to be determined how useful a resource this is truly going to be. My intent was to go through it on audio the first time and then go back and revisit it using the tools described with a more complete understanding. I will revisit this review at that time to see if subsequent readings, and using the tools that they have available make this an even richer experience.
Caroline Gordon
Fabulous book, put this on your must read list if you are looking for a job or about to change jobs. It has the best interview advice I have read anywhere, and lots of advice for leaders of all levels. It is suitable for front line managers as well as executives. There is specific advice to follow before you start and during your first 30, 60 and 90 days on the job.
Todd Mckeever
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book with all of its goodies in there and a very well thought out agenda of making maximum use of the start of each experience.

I found this to be a good book to read along with "my first 90 days" book as well. Check out the web site to get free all the graphs etc that we're mentioned in the book.
The Lion King
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical and clearly drawn from real life experiences

As a current CEO bows moving to run another organisation, I found this book incredibly insightful, I formative with real life solutions and suggestions. My only regret is that I wish I had found it sooner before I became CEO for the first time. Highly recommended
Flora
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book which is quite easy to read and follow, listing out the key milestones and 'to-do' list with a corresponding target date. Useful in providing guidance on what to look out for when you start a new role.

Probably more relevant for people starting on more senior leadership roles, in which culture and HR issue is more critical. Still worth a read and make notes on.
Vlad Vasilis
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book with a great oversight, but also insight to how to manage the critical first 100 days of your newly rewarded management position. I like it a lot and what surprised me is that the book has a link to a website which gives you amazing tools with which you can work after you finish reading it. I just love it. I totally recommand it because it is very practical.
Christie
If you are starting, or planning to start a new job, this book is a really FABULOUS resource for plaing your cards right and providing valuable insight to "weasle" your way up the top of the corporate ladder. Really, it's a great book. ...more
Terence
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-read
Started off great with numerous helpful insights. It seems like the author has the most experience postulating people for new leadership roles. Unfortunately the final two-thirds of the book want as good.
Brenda
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear, practical guide on stepping into a new leadership role. Gives you worksheets and tools to actually implement the principles and lays out what to do before day 1, day 30, day 60, and day 100. Great tool!
Mohammed
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book overall was an eigh openner. I didn't expect that the first 100 days had this importanse. The book is an idle action plan for those moving to a new leadership role weather external or internally within thier organizations. ...more
Bruce Flanagan
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I also use this book in some coaching situations

• Total Leadership: Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • 12: The Elements of Great Managing
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Ethics for the Real World: Creating a Personal Code to Guide Decisions in Work and Life
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepreneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything
  • Work the System: The Simple Mechanics of Making More and Working Less
  • Lead the Field
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful