Start by marking “Troublesome Words” as Want to Read:
Troublesome Words

Troublesome Words

Used book
Published 1997 by Penguin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Troublesome Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troublesome Words

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I read this book two times in about six months, so I think I'm done with the cover to cover work. I have it marked and highlighted and handy for reference.

Along with discussions of spelling and usage, Bryson includes many examples of incorrect usage from well-known publications and authors (including his very august self). The examples let you see what it looks like when it's done wrong, and you may recognize your own errors in those of other people. It's also nice to know that even the profess
Aaron Brame
I taught middle school grammar for six years, and my favorite part of the grammar book (didn't you have a favorite part of the middle school grammar book?) was always the glossary of usage. I saved that part of the curriculum for the end of the year, like a desert that you look forward to throughout a long meal.

"Class, do you know when to use 'fewer' instead of 'less'? No? Oh, goodie."

After the joyful experience I had reading A Short History of Nearly Everything, I wanted to check out more Brys
Tim
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

description
I might be starting towards lexophilia, but this book is the only dictionary/ thesaurus that I can seriously read. That is sit and read through it one word at a time. The only disadvantage is that it tends to make one nervous in one's own writing and want to check everything with Bryson just in case you have just made another almighty clanger.

It was given to my by a lovely friend and it has proven to be a delight, you can't categorize it well, it isn't really a dictionary and it's not a thesauru
Matthew
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book definitely earns a 5 star rating, I'm just not sure who to recommend it to:

Professional writers and grammar nerds will love the book's utility; this is a resource I know I'll be returning to often. For example, if all I'm trying to do is spell or define a word then I'll pull out a basic dictionary. But what if three different words seem to have identical definitions, are there situations I'm supposed to use one word over another? Or let's say I see several respected publications handle
Karen Brooks
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant little book amd a must read/desk companion for professional writers. Arranged alphabetically, it basically explains correct spellings, etymology and meanings of various words and the mistakes that even lovers of words and writing can make. For example when to use compliment or complement; when to parlay or attend a parley. He explains the real meaning of condone (which is not to approve or endorse but to forgive - whoops!) and takes his time over who and whom. He also explain ...more
Summer
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who like words
I really enjoyed this, but then I do sometimes read the dictionary for fun. I found Bryson’s expectations of correct usage to be insightful and realistic. I appreciate his examples of incorrect usage.

An example of something I have applied to my own writing is the entry for include. He writes, "include indicates that what is to follow is only part of a greater whole. To use it when you are describing a totality is sloppy, as here: “The 630 job losses include 300 in Redcar and 330 in Port Talbot”
Emmkay
I think I'm in love. Be still, my geeky, grammar- and word-loving heart! I had the satisfying experience of coming across entries that reinforced my own pet peeves (e.g. the misuse of 'fulsome,' the confusion of 'tortuous' and 'torturous'). But still more satisfyingly, I learned plenty more that I did not already knew, and also learned explanations for things that I knew only by instinct. Marvellous!
Carin
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my quest to read all of Mr. Bryson's books, some are easier than others. But I have to say that, for a grammar nerd who loves words, this was a joy. It did take me a long time as I didn't want to read too much at once for fear it would run out of my ears, but I learned a lot and I will be hanging onto this as a reference book for a long time to come.

Did you know the phrase is to the manner born, not manor? Oops. Me neither. Did you know a koala is not a koala bear? That one I did learn last y
Daniel Taylor
As this is a reference book, only the most committed logophile will read it from cover to cover.

The book has one section, "Troublesome Words", and an appendix, "Punctuation".

What makes this guide to correct English stand out from the cluttered shelves of similar books is two things. Bryson delivers his advice with his trademark humor that readers of any of his other books will immediately recognize. That itself leads to the second point — Bryson isn't some grammarian tucked away in the dusty sta
Charles
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-writing
Excellent book. There was much here I just didn't know, and a lot of other material that I might once have known but had forgotten. I actually read through the entire thing, although it would be a great browsing book for anyone who wants to write or who just loves langauge. I got several blog posts out of the interesting material I found within.
Peter
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A book to dip into and enjoy. Mr Brysons' wit and writing are what bring a potentially bland word book to life.

Highly recommended.
Martin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What began as a lark as a welcome break for the old noodle after reading some mind-bending books became something much more serious.

I like books, words, and books about words. This doesn't take much brain-power - but this was different. This was quite a serious, thorough, quite complete run-through of the most common bugaboos that need addressing.

I thought Bryson was a bit overstuffy at first, but then realized how useful and relevant all his advice is. Halfway through the book, I then realized
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
What an organised mind Bryson must have, to be able to put together such a needed collection of information. I would find it hard to believe that a single person exists that wouldn't learn something from this book, I know I've been corrected on several things. I had no idea that Americans use the word 'homely' differently than Britons do, or that we shouldn't say 'I feel nauseous'.

Everyone who's serious about writing (especially journalists) should take a look at this book. I assure you that it
Linda
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book to sit down and read from beginning to end. It is more a reference book, and also very good for browsing. Bryson was a copy editor in England in the 1980’s and here he lists common mistakes in usage and spelling, with delightful paragraphs and examples of correct and incorrect sentences. Although I didn’t read it chronologically, I browsed enough to have read practically the whole book, and I enjoyed it. He has written other books about the English language and I will probabl ...more
Colleen
Aug 05, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am always reading this type of book to glimpse into the world of those smarties that I believe secretly carry a red felt pen with them to correct the incorrect grammar of the rest of us.

I always learn that I have been misusing or mispronouncing some word or another, this makes me think that reading through the book has been validated, until I catch myself using that same word incorrectly again.
Syntactical Disruptorize
This is a charming book on words writers often get wrong, but it misses its target, through no fault of the author. If you know enough to look in this book, much less own it, you probably cared enough to get it right in the first place. It's an okay book to wave in someone's face to let them know just how wrong they are, but that's a nasty use of Bryson's self-effacing, gentle style.
Cathy
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned many things from this book. Did you know there is no rule against split infinitives? I was also reminded to just forget about the word 'very'.

In fact, I think I'm going to buy this to use it as a quick and easy reference, much easier than using a dictionary or maybe even dictionary.com.
Jana
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
Recommended for people who are already fans of linguistics, grammar, and clear explanations of the rules governing both. Bryson writes clearly and concisely, providing many examples of words which can be troublesome indeed.
Curtis
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an actual reference book, so I'm not sure I'll ever finish reading it.
Grace
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every writer should have this book for reference
Matt Hooper
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm running out of Bill Bryson books to read. I've taken to reading his dictionary.

"Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words: A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right" was the author's first published book (it has undergone several updates since debuting in 1984). If you are unfamiliar with the author, then please allow this brief contextual diversion.

Bill Bryson has written several humorous, erudite and grouchy travelogues, hiking memoirs, and scientific explainers. Born and raised in Des Moines, I
Robert Hepple
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
First published in 1984 under the title 'The Penguin Dictionary of Troublesome Words', Troublesome Words is a short book of various words the are often misused. In most cases, Bryson provides examples (mainly from newspapers) of incorrect usage, before telling you how the word should be used. Mostly this is okay, but there are a few contentious descriptions. Bryson quite rightly points out many instances where common usage has changed the intended meaning of a word over time, yet ignores quite a ...more
Ed Hatfield
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very good at what it does - poking sharp holes in journalistic writing whenever there is redundancy, wherever there is rambling and in papers as successful as The Times and The Guardian. It has a very simple layout and could easily be used as a reference for those writing professionally, as well as being very simple to read casually.

Probably best received by total pedants (such as those who sneeringly inform you that 'advance planning' is the only possible sort, ha ha) and those in
Jimyanni
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linguistics
For someone who is as fascinated by the language as I am, and as interested in writing well, this book is useful and more entertaining than it might be expected to be; Bryson's writing is, as usual, stylistically enjoyable. But for anyone who enjoys his books describing his travels, or other less pedantic works, but who does not share my enthusiasm for correct usage of the language, this book might be considered tedious. Do not be fooled by the fact that it's written by Bryson, who tells an amus ...more
Brian Cleveland
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book about the language and certainly helpful for a copy editor like myself, though some of the things are (or should be) well known to writers and editors, and some are unlikely to come up if you're not British. But I highlighted a lot of things and will keep it at my desk at work as a reference.
Magdelene
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reference source for most writers. For those not familiar with Bryson's dry wit: this book primarily slaps the wrists of journalists and copywriters more than any other type of writer. If neither of those are your background, you may find yourself rolling your eyes with irritation at some of the entries.
George Lai
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love the English language, and if sometimes you pause and wonder whether what you have written doesn’t seem quite right and you spend minutes debating with yourself, this book is a highly entertaining read.
This must be the 5th or 6th Bryson book I’ve read.
Sara Eames
An interesting and, at times, amusing book which tries to explain the correct use and/or spelling of troublesome words. If you enjoy Bill Bryson's sense of humour, then this could be a book you would enjoy.
Lord Zion
Interesting, and I learned a lot from it. Certainly not a book for everyone; he brings to a very dull subject some life.
Suzanne Hess
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guide worth having.
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Title 5 18 Apr 08, 2016 12:50AM
  • The Highly Selective Thesaurus for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes in English Made by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite
  • The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--And How to Avoid Them
  • Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words
  • The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • The Language Wars: A History of Proper English
  • Usage and Abusage: A Guide to Good English
  • The F-Word
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
William McGuire "Bill" Bryson, OBE, FRS was born in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1951. He settled in England in 1977, and worked in journalism until he became a full time writer. He lived for many years with his English wife and four children in North Yorkshire. He and his family then moved to New Hampshire in America for a few years, but they have now returned to live in the UK.

In The Lost Continent, Bil
“Before, prior to. There is no difference between these two except length and a certain affectedness on the part of 'prior to.' To paraphrase Bernstein, if you would use 'posterior to' instead of 'after,' then by all means use 'prior to' instead of 'before.” 13 likes
“One idea to a sentence is still the best advice that anyone has ever given on writing.” 8 likes