Start by marking “Jo of the Chalet School” as Want to Read:
Jo of the Chalet School

Jo of the Chalet School

(The Chalet School #2)

The Chalet School now boasts over 30 pupils. The autumn term sees adventures of all kinds - a flood that threatens the school and the dramatic rescue of an unwanted St Bernard puppy. Finally Joey, Robin and Madge spend a delightful Christmas at Innsbruck.
Published September 1st 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1926)

Start your review of Jo of the Chalet School
Abigail
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'The School at the Chalet'
The Bettany sisters - Madge, who founded a boarding school for girls in the Austrian Tyrol, in The School at the Chalet , and her younger sister Joey, who was enrolled as the school's first pupil - return in this second installment of Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's epic fifty-eight-volume series (sixty-two, in the paperback reprints), which first saw print in 1925. The little school on the Tiernsee has grown since its first term, and now boasts more than thirty pupils, with all of the old girls - Joey ...more
Gerry
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second in the series of Chalet School stories, Jo Bettany returns to school for a new term to discover that her sister, Madge Bettany, who is the headmistress of the Chalet School, is expecting an increased intake. The pupils for the new school year would number 33. And that is just enough to evolve an adventurous old-fashioned tale around the threesome of Jo, Grisel and Juliet, who often take the lead roles in any escapades.

Just before the new term begins, a six-year-old girl who has
L.H. Johnson
There's very little to say about the early Chalet School books other than to rhapsodise over how awfully lovely they are. And they are. They are like snow on the day when you don't have to go to school. There's something other worldly about them at this point in the series and it is something rather special and beautiful.

So! Here we are. It is only book two and the school is still finding its feet. We are on the side of the bluest lake in all of Austria and it includes one of my most favourite
Rosemary Atwell
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-reads
Another fun read of an old favourite. There's lots of nostalgia to love here - an impossibly old-fashioned Austrian Christmas, romantic descriptions of the Tyrol and exploits and adventures without an online selfie posting in sight. School magazines are set up and Shakespeare gets sent up. More Girls Own magic.
Carolynne
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Robin makes her first appearance at the Chalet School, and headmistress Madge, who is Jo's sister, gets engaged to Dr. Jem Russell of the nearby TB sanitarium ("The San"). Not the most compelling of the Chalet School series, but you need to read it for background for the subsequent books.
eghzarw
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
В прошлом томе все устраивались и организовывались, в этом дело пошло еще веселее. Главу про Рождество в Иннсбруке вообще можно издавать отдельной книжкой с иллюстрациями, она совершенно чудесная.
Vicki
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another comfort re-read and this is easily my favourite of the series!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Published in 1926, this volume reflects a time when upper middle class girls' education wasn't taken all that seriously. English, math, a bit of history and languages are mixed with dancing, singing and the all-important needlework. I'm just surprised there is no cookery/household management class (though I suppose the German girls get that at home and the English girls expect to have servants when they marry). The most important aspects seem to be games, long walks, crafts and of course no ...more
Kate Forsyth
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is ne of the treasures I found in a second-hand children's bookshop Hay-on-Wye when i was there recently – a third edition of ‘Jo of the Chalet School’ by Elinor M Brent-Dyer, published in 1936, with illustrated bookplates intact. This is the second book in the famous series about a girls’ school in the Austrian Tyrol, but was the first one I ever read. I had found a box of them in my grandmother’s attic while staying there on Christmas holidays, and read my way through them. Years later, I ...more
Katherine Bruce
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jo of introduces a number of new ideas that EBD does not really use in other non-Chalet books: hobbies club, Shakespeariana, St Bernard dogs, a nativity play, etc. The much-lauded Christmas scenes also help to introduce her readers to another facet of continental life. Like its predecessor, it is made up of a series of short scenes and events rather than attempting to follow one or two characters through the course of the book. Of course, having so few characters means that almost all of them ...more
Adrienne
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Such lovely tosh. Surely in real life the Chalet School would have shut down by the end of this book, yet another accident making it uninsurable.
Donna Boultwood
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can't give these books anything less than 5 stars. Adorable and of a time. Gruss gott!! Loved the Shakespearean slang and new character the Robin.
T.F.
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review - Jo of the Chalet School - Second book of the series and second for me too. The scenic settings of the school nestled in the Austrian mountains are the best part of the book. I found this book needs a different kind of mindset to enjoy compared to Enid Blyton school stories. Enid Blyton school stories usually have a central conflict that grabs the reader by collar and drags them along. I found even the one book of Angela Brazil I read had that probably even stronger than in Enid Blyton ...more
Margaret Conmey
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most important book in the series
Although the School at the Chalet started the famous series but it was not really a school story and had a lot of rather episodic adventures
In Jo of the Chalet School the school is now established and some of the most important themes for the school and the series start in this book
e.g Jo decides to become a writer,the Chaletan and the Hobbies Club are founded,StBernard dog becomes Jo’s pet,and the first marriage(engagement) between a Chalet School
Helen
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
well, it's the chalet school
Geraldine
If I was reviewing the section that covered Christmas in Innsbruck this would be a 5 star review. I can't remember how long ago I first read this but it planted something ineffable in my head, and it's very strange actually that not only have I never been to Innsbruck at Christmas, I've never even been to Austria.

The rest of the book is a necessary read because it lays down a lot of information for later in the series. And it's certainly not uninteresting.

I shall say this just the once but I
Shawne
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where school stories are concerned, very few can rival the length, depth and quaint magic of Elinor M. Brent-Dyer's Chalet School series - none more so than at the very beginning, when the school is just getting started in the Austrian Tyrol. At this point, the universe is fresh and refreshing, filled with some of the characters who will stay with the series through over 50 books - many of them at their most winning and human.

Jo Of The Chalet School, in particular, is a joy - a world centred
Deborah
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who writes these synopses?!

The Chalet School now boasts over 30 pupils. Correct

The autumn term sees adventures of all kinds - a flood that threatens the school I think you'll find this happens in the EASTER term and the dramatic rescue of an unwanted St Bernard puppy. Oh, well done. Although we don't actually witness the rescue, do we?

Finally Joey, Robin and Madge spend a delightful Christmas at Innsbruck. 'Finally'? No, this happens halfway through the book, before the flood. HELLO! Did you
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the lengthy series about a girls' boarding school in Austria. This book particularly features 12-year-old Joey Bettany, sister of the school Head. She makes new friends, becomes editor of a magazine, learns to ski, and even discovers what her future career is likely to be.

Much more interesting than the average school story for teenagers, even if it does seem a little dated in places. It's so enjoyable to read the hardback again, after only having a paperback version for many years.

Emma Rose Ribbons
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-stories
I liked this much more than the first one so I'm so glad I persisted. I'm getting really attached to the students, especially Joey (who I consider the main character at this point). I still wish most of the adventures would take place within the school and revolve around school activities but I really enjoyed the girls' Christmas spent with a host family nonetheless. The Robin is a lovely addition to the cast, too. At this point I'm considering this an adventure series, not a school series, and ...more
Hanna
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls 8 - 12
Shelves: childhood-books
Fancy seeing this old series here :-) Do children still read books like this..? Well, I loved these books anyway! Jo is such a sweet heroine. It is probably wildly politically incorrect nowadays though.. But the "wisdom" from the Chalet school series helped me fit in later when I started boarding school. Don't brag, don't whinge and don't gossip too much. Thank you Elinor Brent Dyer, lol!

^
Rather smudgy typeface; perhaps not reset since the first printing?!

Both charming; and nowadays, positively funny. Take the singing class under the tutelage of Mr Denny (later christened by the girls ‘Plato’) for example. “ ‘That went well. Now if the tiny maiden” – he indicated the Robin again – ‘will bring me the first song, we will ask this next little elf to distribute these!’ ” (p.103).
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin is introduced in this book, and she's featured in a lot of the following books. She's a six year old, the baby of the school, placed there because her father had to go to Russia for business. She quickly becomes everybody's darling because of her sweet temperament.

Lots of fun in this book, from going skiing, Christmas celebrations in a foreign country, and a big surprise for Madge at the end!
Nicola
I liked this just as much as the first one. I especially liked the descriptions of Christmas in Innsbruck. Joey's 'Elsie' book and the Shakespearean slang made me laugh. Oh and I now want a St Bernard puppy! (although my cats wouldn't be impressed)

I need to try and find an unabridged The Princess of the Chalet School now :\
Celia
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
The second Chalet School book - the school's students continue to increase in number, and there's a terrible flood. Plus, a puppy, as you can see from the cover. Joey continues to be a delicate little flower who collapses in a serious fever whenever a breeze brushes against her the wrong way.
Sally
I'd forgotten Robin popped up so early. I was never really that keen on her - or Jo, for that matter!
Ella Mclellan
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i love this book and i think it is one of my fav. chalet school books as my family have 60 out of 62 books of the chalet school! i definitely recommend and i love the robin and Rufus the pup!
Sarah Adamson
This is the second book in the chalet girl series. A very enjoyable book and one of my favourites.
Sian Taylor
lovely series of books for girls
Mel

• The Guides of the Chalet School
  • The Twins at St Clare's
  • Claudine at St Clare's
  • The Bettanys on The Home Front
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • The Chalet School and Robin
  • Juniors of the Chalet School
  • The Chalet School and Cornelia
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • The Muller Twins at the Chalet School
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's
  • Juliet of the Chalet School
  • Deira Joins the Chalet School
  • First Term at Trebizon
  • The Butterfly Room
Elinor M. Brent-Dyer was born as Gladys Eleanor May Dyer on 6th April 1894, in South Shields in the industrial northeast of England, and grew up in a terraced house which had no garden or inside toilet. She was the only daughter of Eleanor Watson Rutherford and Charles Morris Brent Dyer. Her father, who had been married before, left home when she was three years old. In 1912, her brother Henzell ...more

The Chalet School (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • The School at the Chalet