Start by marking “Life In The Balance: My Journey With Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:
Life In The Balance: My Journey With Breast Cancer

Life In The Balance: My Journey With Breast Cancer

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Hardcover
Published September 13th 2006 by HarperCollins Canada

To ask other readers questions about Life In The Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life In The Balance

Alex Gregory
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to read this book, but having heard anecdotes about this woman from people who had seen her speak in person (namely, that she was a bit arrogant and didn't even talk to fans who came up to her) and having found a copy of the book for dirt-cheap at a thrift shop, I figured it was worth a shot.

I certainly didn't regret it.

Life in the Balance opens with the literary equivalent of a flash bomb being thrown onto the deck of a ship. It starts with Shapiro waking up in the middle of
Leslie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
On the plus side, lots of information about the treatment options and decisions that have to be made by women diagnosed with breast cancer. Also, very frank and personal (that turns out to be both a plus and a minus). On the minus side, found it depressing and potentially misleading for women in this situation (everything that could go wrong, does; she stays very angry for much of the process; she tries to prove she's superwoman). Every woman reacts differently and kudos for being so honest, but ...more
Jen Haddad
Feb 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
It made me feel like her life was how the 'rich' receive treatment not the everyday person. Having been a patient of breast cancer I know it's certainly not how it was for me or many other patients.

This book just didn't sit well with me and I certainly WOULD NOT recommend it to any breast cancer patient that is struggling with their battle of the disease whether that be coming to terms with it, emotionally, physically, financially etc.
Elle
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Dr. Marla Shapiro is an amazing woman and doctor. This book taught me so much about her life and how she struggled with breast cancer. It's informative, frank and intimate.
This book should be read by every woman whether they're going through this disease or not.
Joanne
Lindalou
Jul 23, 2011
Lillian
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DR. MARLA'S BOOK IS RAW AND PAINFUL AND HONEST.
Patricia