Start by marking “The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1

The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1

(The Matrix Comics #1)

"The Matrix" revolutionized the science-fiction action film for ever, and this collection of stories delves deeper into the world of the movies, exploring every aspect of the struggle between machine and mankind, between what is real and what is illusion.
Published November 21st 2003 by Titan Books Ltd (first published November 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1

Brian
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
I had a fun time, not blown away but entertained. The book tells many stories. Three stood out to me. Neil Gaiman wrote one called "Goliath." Wow, the man can write. The story deserves five stars as a stand-alone. I'd guess this has the standard 2500 to 3000 words. A man gets pulled out of the Matrix to fight Aliens. The main theme concerns a life as a mindset. As destruction comes to the Matrix, people lives keep being reprogrammed.

I also liked The Millers Tale by Paul Chadwick, short graphic
Samuel Ch.
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
Nice supplement to finish The Matrix saga and turn it into a huge and whole massive universe. The side stories told here add a better atmosphere about the Zion troops, as they show some history before and after the Matrix was built.

Since the original concept of The Matrix was actually a comic, this book was inevitable, and the drawings and dialogs are very original and intense.

With this book, the saga covers the most of the medias: Movies, videogames, animation, and comic books.

I'm not giving
Tess van Brummelen
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
-Useless! You're useless 66! Where in God's green earth have you been?
-Order 721--
-Sweet Jesus! You started that eons ago! Distant stars have born and died since then! Entire species evolve faster than you clean a commode!
-p.009

Drummond: Do you remember what you were thinking?
B1-66ER: Yes.
Mr. Krause: Oh dear God, please help me! Please don't! Please, I beg you! Please don't kill me!! Please!
Drummond: What was it?
B1-66ER: That I did not want to die.
Drummond: And then you killed them.
B1-66ER: Yes
David Thomas
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the Matrix, even its much maligned sequels, but this collection of stories is hit or miss, mostly misses. The best of the bunch isn't even illustrated, but probably got in anyway because it was written by Neil Gaiman, whose name carries some clout in relation to graphic novels. It's about a eugenically enhanced human that the machines have created to fly a spaceship to fight aliens. Yes, really. It's a lot better in execution than it sounds. Another good one is about a ragtag group that c ...more
Claudio Romero
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A must-read for the fans.
Alex
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, thought provoking and uneven comics produced before, during and after the release of the first movie. There are a couple of real duds here but setting is well suited to this sort of exploration, and fans who were disappointed with the very plot-driven movie sequels will find a lot to rekindle their interest. Neil Gaiman’s prose story “Goliath” is probably the highlight.

(Once upon a time you could just read most of these on the sprawling Matrix web site but I’m not sure that monument
T4ncr3d1
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
"La questione che ci troviamo ad affrontare è se la classe di persone descritte in questo dibattimento appartenga o meno a questa comunità e sia parte costitutiva del popolo sovrano. Noi pensiamo di no, e pensiamo che essi non siano inclusi, né sia accettabile che lo siano nella definizione di "cittadino" data dalla nostra costituzione. (...)
Al contrario, essi erano al tempo considerati una classe di esseri inferiori e subordinati, i quali, emancipati o no, dovevano essere soggiogati alla razza
Kevin
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is volume 1 (of 2) of a really cool collection of graphic and essay stories set in world of The Matrix. These are short side stores that could have been in the movies. These were originally published on the Internet at the site TheMatrix.com, but were then moved to whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com only to be removed (why?!?). They can now be viewed at:
http://web.archive.org/web/2004061609... .
They are all quite good, but by far the best is an essay story entitled Goliath by Neil Gaiman, which
Daniel Hermosel Murcia
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Como ya hicieran con los Animatrix , este conjunto de historias ahondan en la complejidad de la saga “Matrix” contando historias paralelas, ampliando la mitología de la misma o incluso metiéndola en la “realidad”. Como espectáculo narrativo y visual es variopinto y, al menos en mi caso, cumple con las espectativas y hasta las supera. La diversidad de estilos, en ambos aspectos, lo hace de lo más entretenido. Desde el cómic en blanco y negro con un trazado más dejado, hasta el tintado detallista, ...more
East Bay J
Interesting colection of stories based on The Matrix. I've only seen the first movie and don't know much about the whole thing but this was pretty enjoyable. One stand out is a story called Bits And Pieces, about an android on trial for murder. This one's by the Matrix writers with cool black and white art by Geof Darrow. When I saw Niel Gaiman's contribution, I was a little irritated. It's prose writing with a few pictures. Too many words! I hate words! Once I started reading it, though, I foun ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't really find the first Matrix movie as marvellously innovative as most people seemed to and I disliked the second film so much I still haven't gathered the courage to see the last one. That's why I was pleased to note that this collection of short graphic stories from the Matrix universe, while uneven, offers more innovative concepts than the films themselves ever did. It isn't groundbreaking stuff, but there are a few ideas about identity and and the basic sci-fi question of humanity re ...more
Daryl
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
The first Matrix movie was original, ground-breaking, with an interesting premise, albeit one that never fully paid off. The second Matrix movie was so bad that I never bothered to watch the third one. This is a collection of short comic stories by some very talented comics artists, as well as a few fan favorites that I never really understood the appeal of (Sienkiewicz, McKeever). The stories are set in the Matrix universe, but nothing here is unique or, frankly, appealing. I kept waiting and h ...more
angrykitty
i'm just now reading this, and i have to admit that even though i'm a huge matrix fan, i'm already pretty underwhelmed by these comics. i'm extra bummed that even though they got neil gaiman to contribute, he didn't provide a comic, instead he gave a short story.

i've now finished this book, and stand by my orginal thoughts. it was good, but not that great.
Pedro
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Una recopilación fantástica de comics inspirados en The Matrix. Todos son brillantes, pero por supuesto destaca el relato de Neil Gaiman, por empujar los bordes de nuestra imaginación y darle una nueva dimensión a este ya establecido concepto de los hermanos Wachowski. Todo fanático de la película debería complementar la historia con este volumen.
Briana Grenert
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have not seen the movie, but reading this made me want to. I have never read a comic book before, but suprised myself by enjoying it. I especailly like the one with the three men who had just watched "The Matrix", because it is so much like "reality" and yet still within the parameters of the matrix.
Fugo Feedback
Aug 17, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Fugo by: Autores.
Shelves: pospuestos
El famoso sorete "Deleted member" que ya borró varias ediciones no en inglés de varios comics había borrado este también, pero ya lo resubí (y van...). En cuanto al libro en sí, creo que ya había leído varias de las historias y que el promedio era bastante bueno. Cuando lo tenga a mano, espero poder ponerme con las que siguen.
Kyle Kurtzal
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have fantasized about the Matrix Comics Vol. 1 and 2 becoming a tv series... with a rare cameo here and there by characters from the movies of course! They add depth to an already incredibly rich story. They are a must read to anyone who loves The Matrix.
milton
Feb 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great complementary stories to the matrix universe. it's not always about neo. and vol. 2 is just as good.
Bernardo Martín
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
ok.
Jonathan
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That comics are better than bloated sequels.
Patrick
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The hits are captivating, and the misses are over quickly.
Dony Grayman
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-esp, decto
Edición española que traduce el vol. 1 estadounidense. Ejemplar con la portada dañada.
Matt Piechocinski
Too bad the 2 sequels weren't as good as this anthology collection. I really liked this universe expanding collection of stories.
Adriano Barone
Un paio di storie carine ci sono (l'ultima in particolare), ma in generale è un volume che potete tranquillamente evitare.
Lucy Werner
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed the book. it's great to see all those talented minds putting there own impression of the matrix idea out there. have to get vol. 2 :)
Hunter Johnson
The Matrix Comics by the Wachowski brothers et al. Edited by Spencer Lamm.
Mark Nevitt
A series I have read in the past but thoroughly enjoyed returning to the Matrix.
Rathan Krueger
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The first half of a great view of the Matrix world outside of the films/anime.
Robbiet13
Dec 24, 2012
Matthew Stevenson
Nov 14, 2011
Goodreads Librari...: Full author/role details for "The Matrix Comics" 1 8 Jul 08, 2019 10:42PM

• Tron: Betrayal
  • The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone
  • Constantine: The Hellblazer Collection
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded
  • 9-11: September 11th 2001, Volume 2
  • Apparat: The Singles Collection (Apparat, #1)
  • The Best of Ray Bradbury
  • Midnight Nation
  • 24 Hour Comics
  • Spawn / Batman
  • 28 Days Later: The Aftermath

The Matrix Comics (2 books)
  • The Matrix Comics, Vol. 2