Start by marking “Brodmaw Bay” as Want to Read:
Brodmaw Bay

Brodmaw Bay

Another masterpiece of suspense from the author of the acclaimed The House of Lost Souls

It's the perfect seaside village—no crime, no one from the city. When things start to go badly wrong for James Greer in London, Brodmaw Bay seems to be calling him and his family. There's a perfect house, excellent schools—and welcoming neighbors who assure the Greers that they'd be de
Published January 1st 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published November 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Brodmaw Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brodmaw Bay

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
1,149 books — 1,757 voters
The Fireman by Joe HillThe Scarlet Gospels by Clive BarkerCruelty by Edward LornThe Elementals by Michael McDowellSunblind by Michael McBride
My Must Read 2015 List
115 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Blair
I had been looking forward to the release of Brodmaw Bay for a very long time - I added the title to my Goodreads shelves in March, and have been anxiously awaiting it ever since. My expectations were high, and I have to admit that when I saw the cover design, I was a little disappointed; it lacks the beautiful artwork and lettering that decorated the author's previous novels, and this led me to worry that it would be less subtle, and more of a gory horror story than the chilling, slow-burning a ...more
Lou
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Book description
When his young son is brutally attacked on his way home from school, James Greer decides he’s had enough. Disillusioned with London life and concerned for the safety of his family, he feels the time has come to move somewhere a little quieter. A chance discovery leads him Brodmaw Bay -a picturesque village on the coast of Cornwall. The locals are friendly and welcoming, if a little eccentric, and James is convinced he’s found the perfect home for his family.

But was it really shee
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I took to reading Brodmaw Bay with much gusto as a newly converted fan of his writing and concepts. I went in with high expectations prepared to be chilled to the bone and scared witless. It was not quite that extreme but still a creepy and atmospheric read.

What's the book about?

James Greer is a game developer living in busy London with his wife and two children, when his son Jack falls prey to a gang of young thugs and ends up in hospital James begins to rethink their lives and location. He dis
Mark
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while I pick up a new book by a new author hoping to be rewarded. In 2009 I ordered “The House of Lost Souls” by F.G. Cottam from amazon. Before I was halfway through it I ordered his second novel “Dark Echo” from amazonUK because I didn’t want to wait for the U.S. publication of it. Then there was the “Magdalena Curse”, “The Waiting Room” and this novel, the newly released “Brodmaw Bay”. Each of which ordered from across the pond as soon as they were available. Needless to say I ...more
Shree
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I took up this book right after finishing "the Colony Resurrection"...desperate to immerse myself in another Cottam novel. reading the blurb I wasn't sure what to expect as the plot seemed slightly different from the other Cottam's that I had read. It explored a different kind of horror - but equally scary and fascinating. It explorers the kind of rural horror that is dealt with in films like Wicker Man and Lovecraftian themes. What it has in common with Cottam's other novels is that it is brill ...more
Josephine (Jo)
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Well! He did it again. This book lulls you into a false sense of security and then wham! Brodmaw Bay immediately appealed to me as a place to live, picturesque, I have loved folk music since I was a child and sang in a folk group, and yes I wore the floaty frocks of the sixties and seventies. It all seemed so Swallows And Amazons but the underlying tension started to build so subtly that it was hardly noticeable until, like the family in the story, you were already so involved you were part of i ...more
Stacey
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th novel that I have read by F. G. Cottam, and I must say that I am hooked by his writing. I have 3 more that I am waiting for in the mail. His horror stories don't involve the blood and gore that many in this genre contain. Instead, his books involve unseen horrors which are even worse. This book contains ancient witchcraft and rituals as well as ghosts and true evil. The Greer family is a loving family going through various upheavals, when they decide to move to the small pictures ...more
Leah Polcar
I have to admit that I am a huge F.G. Cottam fan girl, but setting that aside, I can't see giving this book less than 5 stars. What you have here is a captivating tale that really shouldn't be so captivating: Brodmaw Bay succeeds in making the pretty tired Wicker Man/The Lottery/We-Can-Only-Guarantee-Our-Quaint-Lifestyle-Through-Human-Sacrifice trope very engaging. This could only have been done through truly remarkable writing. You know, writing of the superior sort which F.G. Cottam always del ...more
Susan
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
You need to get past the author's socio-political views - which seem slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun. Still, if I can do it so can you! If you manage that this is a good page turner, pretty spooky - a bit Wicker Man revisited.
Caroline
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle, favorites
Brodmaw Bay is another gripping read from F.G Cottam. It is a good old-fashioned tale of pagan rites and ghostly apparitions. Cottam knows how to hook his reader and also how to scare them. Read it if you dare....with the light on.
Martin Belcher
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
James and Lillian Greer and their two children, Jack and Olivia have a great life living in London until Jack is viciously mugged on a double decker bus for his mobile phone. Sitting next to his son's hospital bed, James discovers a book hiding on a bookshelf all about an idyllic Cornish sea side village called Broadmaw Bay.
His son's mugging has brought their exciting cosmopolitan life in London to a nasty end and James sees no future for them in the Capital. He googles Broadmaw Bay and falls in
Nancy
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
F.G. Cottam is one of the best in creating atmosphere. I can't help but like his books and the first 3/4 of this book is really good. What falls apart is the last part where he departs from his premise. If I went into that, it would be a spoiler and I don't want to do that.
Jack Greer is a young boy who is assaulted in a mugging. As he recovers, his father and mother, James and Lillian Greer, decide London is no longer the place for them and for their young daughter, Olivia.
Then James finds Br
Daniel Recanati-beatson
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s very rare these days that I find a book that genuinely gives me a good fright. What’s perfect about this book is how subtly it’s done. I've read a lot of horror books where the "monster" is thrown in your face every other chapter and it dulls the shock of what’s supposed to give the story its fear factor. That being said, I’m not going to give an in-depth synopsis on the novel, as a few who've reviewed it have already done so.

What I will say is this: If you are looking for a book that’s ea
Caitlin
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cottam always seems to come up with original entertaining ghost stories that could nearly be perfect . For me, they are let down by the shallow characters & cliche descriptions of said characters. His obsession with physical perfection, and also material labels, irritates me to distraction.

In this book, the pace was at the same suspenseful speed until the last forty pages or so, where it just seemed to be all thrown together for as quick an ending as possible.

It feels very incomplete to me
Sueann
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a book that involves sinister goings on in small towns, but throw in one of my favourite places Cornwall, Happy Days!

Although a great read I have given 4 stars due to its predictability. Well paced, perfect lengh, well character driven and plenty of eerie and chilling moments to keep me happy.

Could easily be turned into one of those wonderfully dark small or large screen British chiller film.

This is my first book from the author will be definitely be keeping my eye out for his o
Ken
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read - and had so much promise. I thought it got a bit 'muddy' in the end - perhaps because the story goes on for a good while, building up the suspense levels - and then *boom* - it wraps up in ten pages that seemed rushed to me. The ending was a bit predictable, but there were some really unexpected twists to it, as well. Definitely worth the read.
Martin
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I will definitely be checking out the author's other books. The story is well written, with several plot twists and plenty of creepy moments. I would highly recommend this book to any reader who enjoys classic English horror, as this story definitely, to me, had a nostalgic atmosphere albeit in a modern setting.
Horace Derwent
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yeah, the preternatural "the wicker man"
Jasper Fen
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
"The Shadow over Ibnsmouth" written by Dennis Wheatly in the 21st century.
Kathleen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brodmaw Bay seems to be the perfect refuge for James Greer and his family. When his young son is the victim of a brutal mugging, Greer wants to leave London - the sooner the better - for the charming old-fashioned fishing port he has just discovered. But was finding Brodmaw Bay more than a happy accident? What is the connection between the village and his beautiful wife? When his friendly new neighbours say they'd welcome some new blood - in a village where the same families seem to have lived f ...more
Elana
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are some horror tropes that seem to be done to death and can only come back as shambling literary zombies. But occasionally such a dead trope is miraculously revived, and this is what happens in this book. Nothing is as trite as a young couple coming to live in a small town and discovering...fill in vampire neighbors, serial killers, monsters in the basement, or a really bad planning committee. I don’t expect much from such novels except the pleasure of familiarity. But this one manages to ...more
Rich
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, nook-kindle
My first FG Cottam book and certainly not my normal read.

The characters in the book are developed rather well, especially for this type of novel. I felt that half way through it, the author could have written 15 different stories and endings in several genres simply from the strength of the characterizations and the setting that FG Cottam had painted.

Yes, the ending felt a little rushed, and the reader needs to let loose of reality to enjoy Brodmaw Bay, but it was a nice change from my normal r
John Wiltshire
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this atmospheric novel. I've read quite a few of this author and the books rarely disappoint. This one is particularly good for its descriptions of a Cornish village. Sure, the idyllic life isn't what it seems to be, but I enjoyed the beauty and tranquility while it lasted. Creepy, well written, and not too far-fetched (as horror goes).
KapitiKats
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quietly menacing

Another great story by F. G. Cottam evoking the rural and regional England familiar in all his work. The simmering evil of the Bay is beautifully described. The pagan rituals seem quite convincing. The main characters are well written with human flaws and frailties. Would love to see Alex McCabe reappear in future work!
Lolapaige
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Slow

This book may have been better had it not been so agonizingly slow. I'm not certain if all of the books by this author are this way or if this was just a one time thing. I struggled to finish because it seemed to drone on and by the time I got to the end I was thoroughly disappointed because it was such a predictable ending.
Mark Hodder
This is a slow paced tale of creeping dread, which spends as much time building its characters as it does dwelling on the threatening mysteries of Brodmaw Bay. Reminiscent of The Wicker Man, it's well-written and engaging but didn't deliver sufficient horrors for my taste. I liked it but I didn't love it.
Cheryl
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Not one of his best, but atmospheric and creepy.
Janette Fleming
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
SYNOPSIS
It’s the perfect seaside village—no crime, no one from the city. When
things start to go badly wrong for James Greer in London, Brodmaw Bay
seems to be calling him and his family. There’s a perfect house,
excellent schools—and welcoming neighbours who assure the Greers that
they’d be delighted to have some new blood in the Bay. But perhaps the
village isn’t so much welcoming them as luring them, to something
ancient and evil.

I have been waiting ages for this and it was worth it!

My only compla
Annette Gisby
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Tanya
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, ghosts
I enjoyed reading this book it was a nice slow and steady build up story about a family. When James son Jack is mugged and ends up in the hospital from a violent assault he decides it's time to move somewhere safer. He discovers a book his wife illustrated 20 years prior but she has no recollection of vroadmaw bay he researches and discovery it's a real place and his family decide to move there at first it's look like the perfect picturesque seashore town however it harbours a dark and deadly se ...more

• Curfew
  • The Art of Drowning
  • A Sincere Warning About the Entity in Your Home
  • Sugar Hall
  • The Drowning Pool
  • The Third Floor (Angel Hill, #1)
  • The Unseen
  • A Summer of Drowning
  • A Cold Season
Reading is a cheap and totally effective way of being transported to another world. The same is true of writing. Mundane concerns only afflict your characters if you decide you want them to.
University was where I first thought seriously about fiction; hearing about Hemingway's iceberg theory and Eliot's objective correlative and having the luxury of time to ponder on the mechanics of the novel.
My