Start by marking “Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer” as Want to Read:
Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer

Witch: The True Story of Las Vegas' Most Notorious Female Killer

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Drawing on extensive interviews with the accused herself, here is the sordid, twisted, and surprising story of Brookey Lee West--a successful technical writer from Silicon Valley who went on a twenty year crime and killing spree.

Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch

Gary Taylor
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime, crime
Insertion of the femme fatale or wicked woman has served as an irresistible literary device back to the Garden of Eden, where Eve tried to blame it all on a snake. It's only been in the last generation, however, that we learned the fairer sex can actually be more than a fictional antagonist. True crime books and TV documentaries have heralded the emergence of the true-life femme fatale as a uniquely dangerous breed, and some of us just can't get enough.

So, I say thanks to newsman Glenn Puit for
Gill
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked on this book from the first chapter. A really interesting well written book about an evil woman. A definite recommendation to those that like true crime stories.
Lou
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it
If you like real life crimes - it is good. I remember hearing of this after it happened...now, it has nothing to do with witches (Brookey West's family delved into the occult), and that fact has nothing to do with Brookey's murders she committed....the author does have a small paragraph in the Author's Note - stating this is in no way connected to Wiccans in the U.S. or witches, who do not use the carft for evil....just felt it would have been better not to use Witches fr a title - not connected ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Interesting story, poorly written book. Very frustrating.
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
on Sunday, June 15, 2008

Finished it last night. I quite liked this book to my surprise.
It kept me enthralled from beginning till the end.

Suzie Flohr
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book
Jill Hughes
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, true-crime
This book was...not bad. I feel like the title of "Witch" was misleading, since the influence of the occult wasn't delved into very deeply, but it's definitely an eye-catching one and why I picked it up in the first place. Meh.

It was a fast read, considering I got it finished within 24 hours, so that was good. I liked the parallels drawn between the Brookey Lee West case and other crimes, and the tidbits from other cases in general. The author was very descriptive of West's family history withou
Amanda Lynn
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and appreciated that actual recorded conversations were used as dialogue. There were little to no typos, which I love, but there were several points where I thought Puit's own choice of words were a bit crass and simply unnecessary. He throws in a few "Fucks", "Piss", and "Bitches" that aren't accounted as dialogue which I feel cheapens Puit's skill as an investigative journalist and writer.

Other than that, I thought this was a very interesting case and story.

Another thing I
Meshell
Mar 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love true crime books - If I had to read one set of books for the rest of my life it would be true crime. I did not like this book.

I could not pinpoint one thing I did not like about this book but there are several things that niggle at me. I did not like the misleading title, I did not like the authors writing style (no offence intended I'm sure I could not have done a better job it just was not, in my opinion, the best writing style for true crime I have read, I did not like the implication
Jo
West grew up with alcoholic junkie parents who left her and her brother in the house for days at a time while they went to get their fun on. Does this excuse her behaviour. No but it does explain why she grew up to be a selfish, deceitful and manipulative woman who murdered her mother and stuffed her in a rubbish bin in a storage place and possibly also killed one of her husbands and her brother. Puit put this book together using interviews with the killer herself as well as family, friends, col ...more
Brian
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Definitely give you a sense of how twisted some peoples lives and families can be. I love the journalistic style with which this book was written and he fact that the author gives you the facts and lets you draw your own conclusions is refreshing. The book gives you a sense of why CBS chose Las Vegas to launch their CSI franchise, if the experts in this book are any indication, you can see the parallels between the real life and the drama of TV.
Ryan Sugarpants
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I loved this true-crime book. It's a quick read and a fascinating look into a nutcase-of-a-woman who enjoyed writing technical instruction manuals, marrying alcoholic native americans and (possibly) killing people. Highly recommended if you enjoy true crime studies, decomposed dumpster bodies, withcraft and oddball people.
Brandi
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a page turner it held my interest and the way it was written was a lot different than any book I've read. You know what happens before you start reading but you still keep reading to see how and why.I really liked the book. It just amazes me what people can do to each other. FYI the photos are Creepy!
Dahlia
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Very entertaining in a sick way -- observing an incredibly dysfunctional family -- the author's straight-forward reporting style made this a quick and engrossing read. But it's not profound or illuminating
Inky
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is true crime, which really ups the ick factor. Talk about ripped from the headlines -- this book takes us into the dark heart of a crime that involves a daughter's murder of her mother. Love the police details and the close look at one satanically messed-up family.
Angel Zapata
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this a lot. Simply written and seemingly thorough research. The only fault, in my opinion, is there was little explanation on how deep Brookey was into the occult to deem her a witch. Crazy, yes. A witch, I'm doubtful.
Angel Early
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: True Crime Readers
I learned that some people get away with a lot of shit before getting caught. This woman was truly heartless & somehow capable of getting away with so much crime knowing she had to do it yet unable to charge her. The way she murders her Mom, which finally gets her arrested, is horrible!
Linda Thomas
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was really a good book, if you are into True Crime and of course, I am. The Author has a way of writing that keeps the book flowing, very smoothly.The subject of the book was a real piece of work. I will read more of Mr. Puit's books.
Melissa
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
It's a sad story of a bad relationship between a family. Unfortunately, it turns out that this woman was very sick and may have killed her mother, brother, and husband. It's the usual true-crime kind of thing.
Kendra
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Liked this book in the begenning and then it just got old! This lady had a very twisted mind, obviously, and I just got tired of reading about it! Its usually hard for me to quit reading a book once Ive started it but I just couldn't finish this one...read all but the last 3 chapters!
Samantha
Sep 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: to no one
Liked the concept, hated the execution. This author is very boring. It would have been really great if he had the ability to get into the mind of killer. It pretty much read like a police report. At the very least, it goes to show how parents can really f-up their kids!
Megan
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Calling her a witch and a serial killer is a bit of a stretch. Didn't think the book was well-written. The author couldn't decide between step mother and mother in law when describing the killer's step mother. Thankfully it was a fast read.
Stephanie
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a true crime page turner. I thought it was well written, considering the confusing family dynamics at play. This is the kind of book that keeps your mind wondering. Enjoyable read for true crime lovers.
Meghan
Mar 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
A woman kills her mother and puts the body in a trash can in a storage unit. The body is there for years before someone finds it. Interesting...
Jeanine
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of daughter who murdered her mother (or maybe not) and stuffed her body in a can and kept her in storage. Strange case - strange woman.
Just_me
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, crime
Got 3/4 of the way through but DNF for as kept going off on a tagent
Holly Maus Halbur
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very interesting. The further into I got, the crazier this woman turned out to be. Overall, it's a good book about a sick and twisted person.
Nicole
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story. Read this book in about 3 days, couldn't put it down.
Deanne
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
The sort of neighbour who would make me contact my nearset estate agent. There are some people that just feel wrong, and Brookey West is one of them.
Lauren
Aug 11, 2007 rated it liked it
This book was okay. Not in my top true crime novels, but it was okay.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Seven Days of Rage: The Deadly Crime Spree of the Craigslist Killer (48 Hours Mystery)
  • Cruel Deception
  • Pure Murder
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • True Stories of Law & Order: SVU: The Real Crimes Behind the Best Episodes of the Hit TV Show
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge