Start by marking “Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)

Pawn

(The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  11,090 ratings  ·  1,693 reviews
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the
Published November 26th 2013 by Harlequin TEEN

To ask other readers questions about Pawn, please sign up.
Shenequa Yes, in the sense that Kitty must face life or death situations. She's a very strong female lead. Doing whatever it takes to keep her loved ones safe…moreYes, in the sense that Kitty must face life or death situations. She's a very strong female lead. Doing whatever it takes to keep her loved ones safe and securing a way to spark a rebellion.(less)
Pepper-Soni-Roni Yes, Pawn is an exciting book and things continue through the series with a fantastic ending!
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
904 books — 2,319 voters
Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee JonesThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyReal by Katy EvansBranded by Abi KetnerThe Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber
New Series (2013)
1,005 books — 2,607 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,090 ratings  ·  1,693 reviews

Start your review of Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
Saniya
May 26, 2011 marked it as to-read
All that hardcore blurb with the heroine named Kitty?
Now, seriously?

I mean, it will be just so funny to read. xD Just imagine.

She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves...

As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter...

Hero: "KITTY, LOOK OUT!"

Kitty: "You...you left me for that girl?

Hahaha, I can actually imagine the hero saying that and Kitty
Giselle
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own
For the 82323234287637's book in its genre this year alone, Pawn was surprisingly original with a refreshing triangle-free minimalist romance and a plot that had tons happening throughout, not just anticipation for the ending. As my first Aimee Carter book I can't tell you how it compares to her Goddess Test series, but I was impressed with this one for sure.

The world building, at first, sounds like your average dystopian. Society is divided by numbers given to you after a big test on your 17th
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
"But if you’re careful—if you protect your pawns and they reach the other side of the board, do you know what happens then? Your pawn becomes a queen.”
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. If you had asked me what I was going to give this book after the first few chapters, without question, I would have said "1." Therefore, it was with a considerable amount of surprise that I found myself enjoying the rest of the book as much as I did. This does not mean that the rest of the book
Cyna
Jun 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
So Pawn. It's a dystopian novel by Aimee Carter.

what can you do

t-th-th-th-th-that's all folks

Ugh, I wish. I mean, that is basically the gist of it, if you wanted the tl;dr version, but there's so much absurd fuckery that no joke, I actually considered doing a chapter-by-chapter snark-along. This book is just fuckin' perfect for it, fuckery abounds on every page. However, one (and a half) read-throughs were enough for me, so instead, this review is just going to be long. Very long. So long. I'm sorry.

Also, SPOILERS YO

The biggest shame
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jamie
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has me a bit torn. I immensely enjoyed the plot as it unravels and the characters were nicely done. The writing moves at a rapid pace that constantly left me wondering where things would go next. And on the flip side was an inadequately built world around them.

Kitty has grown up in a world where people take a single test that determine what kind of life you will have. A six is the best (government officials, etc), a four is average and a one gets you sent Elsewhere, never to be seen
Blythe
Rating is either 4 or 4.5 stars.

Excellent excellent excellent. I have an annoyance or two, but I loved this as a whole regardless. Review to come.

ALSO, false alarm! No love triangle! Just another bonus point for this book and its awesomeness.
Evie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Think you've read all the dystopians out there and nothing can possibly surprise you, let alone blow your mind to pieces? Well, think again! Aimee Carter's latest YA novel has everything an awesome dystopian story should have - a thrilling, well-thought-out premise, complex world-and-character building, breathtaking action and a fabulous shock factor with a side of WOW! It's fresh. It's original. And it's certainly worth picking up.

The world Aimee Carter has crafted is quite a fascinating one.
Jasprit
With the dystopian genre so exhausted, it’s nice when a book comes along which seems to offer something different. And Pawn for me did start that way. In Kitty’s world everyone at the age of 17 is put through a test, this determines the individuals “ranking” and what sort of job they end up with afterwards. The higher the number the individual ends up with the better job they end up getting. Kitty has the potential to do well but ends up messing up her test and leaves with a III. It’s not the ...more
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: folks looking for lamer divergent part deux
2.5

Pawn is jumping the bandwagon of dystopian books bound for great sales but ultimately not satisfying legions of readers. It had a lot of potential to be realized but in the end, it failed by filling it all up with boring action scene after another and lackluster character, which is quite a feat now that I think about it, because around 100 pages initially were written to lay down the groundwork for the characters.

So commercially? It'll be a hit.
And aesthetically? Flop, flop, floppity-flop!

In
Glass
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, harlequin
Review from Ja čitam, a ti?

I didn't expect much. A lot of my friends didn't like Goddess Test by Aimee Carter and they warned me that I might not like Pawn. I decided to give it try anyhow and I'm glad I did. Pawn maybe did start a little bit "clumsy", but premise of this novel is so intriguing and the rest of it was really good.

One corrupted family, one low ranking girl, unexpected circumstances and few new friends. Judging by available advanced copies of books, it looks like dystopian genre
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Harlequin Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

After quite a displeasing debut series by Aimee Carter (The Goddess Test) I wasn't exactly enthused to try Pawn. However when the early reviews started to roll in, I was surprised by the constant great number of positive feedback Aimee Carter's latest was receiving. So I hopped on that train, and was not at all dissatisfied.

Kitty Doe hasn't had the
Anne
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Carter's Goddess Test series was sort of hit and miss for me, but I found it mostly enjoyable. So when I got the chance to read this one, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
Beyond the can she switch from mythology to dystopia question, I was also a bit concerned about the fact that I've read far too many dystopian novels lately. It seems like about every third novel I read has a post-apocalyptic theme to it. Then again, nobody's holding a gun to my head, now are they? If I'm getting a tad blown
Natalia
"At least now you have enough food to eat," he said. "At least now you can sleep safe in your bed and not fear your neighbors ransacking your home and murdering your entire family."

"Why would I fear my neighbors when my government does it for them?"

Yes, this piece of dialogue describes perfectly well the kind of society we deal with in this book.
Kitty Doe lives in a world where everyone is ranked into castes ranging from I to VII, with I being viewed upon as the wastes and sent Elsewhere, and
 LEAH⇢
Definition of PAWN:
a chess piece of the smallest size and value. A pawn moves one square forward along its file if unobstructed (or two on the first move), or one square diagonally forward when making a capture. Each player begins with eight pawns on the second rank, and can promote a pawn to become any other piece (typically a queen) if it reaches the opponent's end of the board.
a person used by others for their own purposes.

description

Book Title: PAWN
Author: Aimee Carter
Narration: Lameece Issaq
Series:
Giselle
I thought Pawn had such wonderful potential, and I really wanted to love it, but when the main character tends to do things just for the sake of others, with no mind of her own, I tend to start disliking everything she does. Maybe she's vulnerable now, but will be stronger in the future?

The government with the Harth family being the head has devised a system where each new adult will be placed in a caste system. Not original but the idea behind it always intrigued me. I wished there was more
Rinn
I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

Me throughout most of this book?

Yeah. Where to begin? First of all, let’s address the fact that NOWHERE is it explained why Kitty’s society is like this. The people are ‘ranked’ on their seventeenth birthday, given a number from I to VI, with VII only applying to the President and his family. If you’re anything below a III, then it pretty much means you disappear from
Kat Kennedy
It should probably be illegal to keep reading an authors work when you’ve so thoroughly panned it twice before but, you see, I was curious. Take away the horrible plotting and burdensome story of The Goddess Test, could Carter write something I liked, because I always suspected she could. If Pawn had continued in quality from the first half into the second, then I’d probably be giving it four stars right now.

Pawn started out very promising indeed. Kitty, ranked a three in a society that lives
LydiaMae
Jun 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 14+
Person: What are you reading?
Me: I'm reading Pawn
Person: *gives me a look and backs away slowly*
Me: NO, wait! Not like that! Come baaaack.....

What?
But, really though, who names their book Pawn? Someone with a mind not as low as mine apparently.
~Tina~

Once you turn 17 your life is ranked by the number branded to the back of you neck. It establishes your importance into society. A society that promises that the citizens will be taken care of, but you have to give back first. Everyone has their role to play, but it just so happens that Kitty Doe is a III (3)…well, it’s better then being a I (1) and going Elsewhere. Still, the life she was hoping for with her boyfriend, Benjy feels even more impossible so when Prime Minister Daxton
Jilly
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: y-a, dystopia
"What's your name?"..."Kitty".."Is that short for something?"..."Yeah, it's short for 'my mother was insane and had a thing for cats.'"

momma, is that you?
crazy cat lady gif photo: ccl Crazycatlady.jpg

I like Kitty! I like a good smartass!

So, the book starts out a little rough. Let's just say it takes a lot of licks to get to the good chewy center. We have a dystopian society that came together within 71 years. 71 years! So, believable? no. Then, we have old people, disabled, crooks, traitors, and unwanted sent out to a place called
Megan
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Pawn by Aimee Carter

Maybe it was the great hype off Twitter that got me, or maybe it was the synopsis that promised something fresh and exciting. I picked up PAWN and dove in pretty quickly expecting a new and engaging dystopia about a girl who takes the place of the Prime Minister’s daughter in a future dystopia. I should have known better. Really, I should have known given my previous experience with Carter’s THE GODDESS TEST and the increasingly overflowing dystopia market filled with 50
Colleen Houck
I was sucked into this book from the very beginning. This is an edge of your seat, fast and furious, roller coaster and I'd be shocked if you didn't pick up the next book immediately. What a scary world to live in! Love the heroine so much.
Ari
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am still a bit unsure about this one.
Dystopian stories can be a hit or a miss with me and this one falls somewhere in between.

Overall, it was such a confusing story. The premise was really interesting and it started pretty well, but somehow (in all that confusion and the lack of trust regarding most of the characters) I started to doubt my enjoyment for the book.

There were many ups and downs.
I am sure that plenty of people will enjoy this story because there is quite a lot of action, you find
Emily Anne
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pawn was a thrilling read, and no where near your typical, old-hat dystopian. Aimee Carter managed to create a world that wasn’t a copy cat, and I could tell she put a lot of work into making the future society seem unique and complete. Be on the lookout for this novel.

It seems to me that a lot of dystopians have love triangles (Hunger Games, The Selection, Shatter Me etc.) so I was elated when I realized that Pawn did not have a bothersome triangle of love and angst. I am not even against love
Kathylill
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really liked the first half of the book, unfortunately the second half took a turn in the wrong direction for me. So I started to skip over the next chapters and by the time I reached the ending I was seriously not a fan of this book any longer.

One of the things I so appreciated at the start was the description of the totalitarian / dictatorial political system with exams that define your future life once and for all, prosecution of political suspects, forced abortion after the first child
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Audiobook. Good but my attention fell towards the end.
Melissa
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've owned this book forever but never taken the time to read it until now. I feel like this is another one of those books that I probably would have adored if I had read it a few years ago. Reading it today, I still found a book that I really enjoyed. Pawn takes place in a future dystopian United States where people are sorted into groups according to their performance on some sort of standardized test. Those who score highest are guaranteed a fairly easy life with a good ability to make ...more
Farrah
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thrilling, romantic, and full of secrets and betrayals, Pawn was a wild ride of a book. And I loved it! It was absolutely wonderful. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Kitty was a strong heroine. I liked that her reactions were believable. When she heard of a rebellion that, if she joined, would put her life in danger, she wasn't about to go near that. I think that's a realistic reaction, which made Kitty seem more real. Of course, when she found out what was at stake, she knew she had to join
BookLoversLife
Kitty Doe is an Extra. Her parents already had one child and then had her. She lives in a group home now. She knows if she doesn't do well in her test she faces a life of hard work and little pay.

The day of her test comes and Kitty is classed as a III. She is devastated. For the life she wants she would have to be a IV and above. After the test when she is in the market, Kitty steals an orange. If she is caught she gets a harsh punishment. She meets up with Benji (her boyfriend) and on their way

• Lacivert
  • Safir (Lacivert, #2)
  • Karantina
  • 4N1K
  • Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1)
  • City of Savages
  • Un mariage à Lyon
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever, #1)
  • Reviving Izabel (In the Company of Killers, #2)
  • The Swan & the Jackal (In the Company of Killers, #3)
  • Storia di una caduta
  • Av Dönencesi (Kırmızı Başlıklı Kız, #1)
  • Ölüme Fısıldayan Adam
  • Free to Fall
  • İkinci Perde (Karantina, #2)
  • Dokuza Kadar On
  • The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #2)
  • The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy, #1)
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. She is the author of several series, including The Goddess Test series, The Blackcoat Rebellion series, and the Simon Thorn series.

QUEEN (#3 of The Blackcoat Rebellion) will be released on November 24th, 2015.

SIMON THORN AND THE WOLF'S DEN (#1 of the Simon Thorn series, Bloomsbury) will be released February 2, 2016.

The Blackcoat Rebellion (3 books)
  • Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)
  • Queen (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #3)
“Have you ever played chess, Kitty?”
I eyed her. What did a board game have to do with this? “Not really.”
“You and I should play sometime. I think you would like it,” she said. “It’s a game of strategy, mostly. The strong pieces are in the back row, while the weak pieces—the pawns—are all in the front, ready to take the brunt of the attack. Because of their limited movement and vulnerability, most people underestimate them and only use them to protect the more powerful pieces. But when I play, I protect my pawns.”
“Why?” I said, not entirely sure where this conversation was going. “If they’re weak, then what’s the point?”
“They may be weak when the game begins, but their potential is remarkable. Most of the time, they’ll be taken by the other side and held captive until the end of the game. But if you’re careful—if you keep your eyes open and pay attention to what your opponent is doing, if you protect your pawns and they reach the other side of the board, do you know what happens then?”
I shook my head, and she smiled.
“Your pawn becomes a queen.” She touched my cheek, her fingers cold as ice. “Because they kept moving forward and triumphed against impossible odds, they become the most powerful piece in the game. Never forget that, all right? Never forget the potential one solitary pawn has to change the entire game.”
65 likes
“But the world is out there, and it understands that the illusion of knowledge and freedom is not the same as the real thing. Eventually it will fade, and there are those who will do whatever it takes to make that happen sooner rather than later.” 26 likes