Start by marking “A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels” as Want to Read:
A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels

A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,199 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The result of sixteen years of research in Talmudic, gnostic, cabalistic, apocalyptic, patristic, and legendary texts, the classic reference work on angels is beautifully illustrated and its reissue coincides with the resurgence of belief in angels in America.
Published October 1st 1994 by Free Press (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Angels, please sign up.
Ambrianna Freeze No, not technically. It does not answer any spiritual questions. It is a list of all the angels from across the hierarchy and their purposes. It is…moreNo, not technically. It does not answer any spiritual questions. It is a list of all the angels from across the hierarchy and their purposes. It is only spiritual if you use it to pray or summon angels. Be careful with that though, there are dark angels in here as well.(less)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Nephilim
282 books — 485 voters
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary by AnonymousThe Oxford English Dictionary by John Andrew SimpsonOxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by A.S. HornbyEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.
Dictionaries
321 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it
YES, "including the fallen angels". whew, those are the best ones!

a pleasant way to while away an evening. put some castrati on the record player, pour a glass of white wine, and learn all about the legions of good & ill. fascinating! and exhaustive. i found it fun to compile a mental list of my favorite and least favorite angels and proceed to pit them against each other in my own imaginary personal rapture/apocalypse.
Paul
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This dictionary attempts to list all the angels named in authoritative sources, along with what is known of their functions and relationships.

I got this book in December 1983, probably as a Christmas present (sorry, can't remember from whom). I had started to acquire reference books, and I had certainly turned toward an interest in spiritual things, so this book would have been a natural addition to my library. But since my main interest was not in Christianity or Judaism, and I did not particul
Tiffany
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember who got this book for me, but it's really neat. I use it to name alot of my pets.
Akaria Gale
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angels, non-fiction
Growing up Protestant I didn't know much about angels. Who knew they were like smartphone apps of the heavens? Seriously, there's an angel for practically anything and everything. I really enjoyed this book and found it an incredible resource as I wrote an angel related original fiction last year. Comprehensive and easy to use, it was useful as a starting point to help me do further research certain characters. I think anyone who's interested in the supernatural will find this a handy addition t ...more
Nicole Hadaway
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book -- I used it when doing research for my novel, Release, and I'm continuing to use it for the sequel, Return. It also contains spells from the Key of Solomon and various grimoires at the end.

Be warned, though, that this work, which is very thorough, was published before all the Dead Sea Scrolls were translated and thus, the tales of the Nephilim from the Book of Enoch are not fully detailed in this book. Still, it's a great reference work on Judeo-Christian mythology.
Lori Schiele
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got this book out of the library to use as research for one of my upcoming novels and discovered enough information that I have decided it is worthy of purchasing my own copy for further reference. Gives names and titles of angels alphabetically, but also by groups and by their "job descriptions". Full of charts and sigils and other interesting "artifacts".

Definitely helpful for an author researching angels, but also full of enough information for anyone with any interest in them at all.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
With all the books on Angels out there today, Davidson's work reigns toward the top. To many, it is THE angelic resource. I like how it includes the fallen angels and not just the frilly standard names you find elsewhere. Lots of obscure angels throughout many religions and Davidson does a good job tracing alternative spellings and nicknames back to their original owner.
Kayleen
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Angel or Mythical Creature Fans.
I love this book.
It has very reliable and interesting information about Angels and Fallen Angels.
And his introduction was very fascinatingly cool.
I wish he had more book's out.

Can't wait to reread it.
Sloan
May 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: personal
Not that great. I expected more stories or explanations about Angels. No, the book has a short definition of each Angel. With a few added sections like the one with prayers. Like a dictionary. Who would have guessed?
Alan Lestini
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Not really a sit-down to read book, but a reference book --- good to have around for research!
Sasha
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is a satanic book in disguise. I wouldn't feel comfortable having something like this in my home. It repeatedly states: one, that the Bible (possibly referring to interpretations) is incorrect about some angels; two, that Lucifer is not satan/the enemy (every time you say his name it gives him power); and finally, there is an incantation at the end to invoke the 7 princes of hell that it calls angels. The only good thing about this book is that at the very end of the appendix, there is ...more
Brendan Lloyd
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent source of information for anyone with an interest in angels! I was extremely impressed with how many quite obscure sources were consulted, and how it also explores parallels to angels in various non-Jewish cultures (though occasionally gods from some cultures are listed - I don't know if I agree with them being counted as 'angels').
Besides an A-Z listing of angels, there's also a list of the 72 angels of the Shemhamphorae (which includes Michael), the names of Lilith's disguises, ritu
Yvonne
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angels
This is an exhaustive list of angels, both 'good' and 'fallen.' I got this book in 1994, it was first printed in 1971, copyrighted by the author in 1967. I can only imagine how many hours the author put into researching this book! It includes a great appendix and a wonderfully large bibliography citing many old texts (I love old references!!!)...this was long before Google, so I have a deep appreciation for the time it would have taken him to write and research this book!

If you are into angel l
Titan
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everything from the reflective introduction, which I read with such gusto that I was ten minutes late for work, to the compartmentalized appendix achieves what I have attempted to make logic of in this esoteric universe of angels (including the fallen angels). The thoughts, categorization, confusion, etc. are all the more impressive for the dictionary they birthed. I always strived to make sense of all the contradictions woven into the lore of angels and demons. Now I don't have to—Gustav Davids ...more
Cleverusername2
This is one of my favorite time waster books. It is a fascinating, detailed, and exhaustive treatment on the subject of angels and spirits of Judaic, Christian, and Islamic mythologies. The Abrahamic religions I might say. I found the Kabbalah research interesting. It seems that Jewish scholars had an angel for everything, one for every hour of the day and a demon for every hour of the night. That sort of thing; a full delineation of the Powers and Thrones emanating from the all powerful God. Ve ...more
Stephen Simpson
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I can't imagine the amount of work that went into researching and writing this detailed reference.

It is a reference work, so it's not really something you sit down and read for pleasure (unless you're weird like me). I also found a lot of the entries to be lacking in depth and detail; I suspect that the source material itself often included little more than a name and a brief description, so I don't really fault the author for this.

If you're interested in theology, angels, folklore, or a write
Tahni
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing resource for anyone studying angelology or, say, writing stories featuring angels. There are a lot of entries that give the reader little to go on ("an angel of Thursday in some occult traditions" is probably my favorite) but if the info provided isn't satisfactory, a very thorough list of resources is provided which can be back-tracked for more info (though honestly, if there's little provided in the entry, there's probably not much else to be found in the way of solid info o ...more
David
If you're into angelology, this is probably the best reference book there is. Nearly every named angel (including not only those from apocrypha, but texts including Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, and Hindu traditions) is included here. You can find all the different hierarchies of angels described here. It really is an encyclopedic reference. Writers who want to use angels from mythology would be well advised to refer to Davidson's work; many other dictionaries of angels are just condensed s ...more
Angie
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphysical
An amazingly complete collection of angels from all over the world. Also included are some of the more well known demons (such as Lillith).

There's also appendexs' (appendexis? Appendices? Argh.) which cover material from angelic invocation to the angelic alphabet. And the book is worth it for the bibliography alone.

All in all, the most comprehensive book on the subject (and an interesting read).
Thomas
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"I actually stumbled upon this amazing and extremely useful book at a flea market. As i was writing a book (fantasy novel) with lots of angelic and demonic characters, i was hard-pressed and tired (internet is ultra-cluttered) to find a suitable book for references. Thats when i found this book. Final verdict: Extremely useful for writers and an awesomely perfect resource on Angelic and Demonic lore."
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. There's no story line, so if you're interested in this one, please know..."Dictionary" isn't some nifty part of a nifty title. It's an actual dictionary that reads like a dictionary, alphabetical entries and all. The information was amazing though. It was all very detailed and the first section was just unreal (in a good way).
Veronica Ibarra
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I like how so much is included from across cultures here with loads of information in the Appendix and 20 pages of Bibliography. I really like how extensive the research is without overt bias to exclude anything. Surprised by some of what I learned and definitely interested in further reading on the topic. (This is the kind of reference book I keep in my personal library to fuel my imagination.)
Dani Smith
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is IT. While writing my debut novel, Psyche's Gate, I referred to Mr. Davidson's fantastic compilation of all things angelic again and again. From the well-known to the obscure, the highest Seraph to the lowest of the fallen angels, this book is a rich wellspring for the author, historian, student, theologan, or general fan of mythology.
Adrienne
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal, thorough, and comprehensive references to all things angel amongst other facets of religious symbolism. I refer to Davidson's work on a nearly daily basis to assist with my writing or research. It's often used in conjunction to Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah, another fantastic resource for religious and occult studies.
M
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm not gonna read this book. I learned my lesson with "Dictionary of Symbols" and "Encyclopedia of Gods". No matter how interesting the subject matter, if it starts with "dictionary", it's not a cover-to-cover situation.

I'ma reference it, though. When I need to look up fallen angels. Which is more often than most, probably. That counts as reading.
Tor.com Publishing
As far as I'm concerned this is the one stop reference book for angels, & the term "angel" is defined pretty broadly. With an appendix of alleged angelic alphabets? Who could ask for anything more. --MK
Angela Sasser
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well researched source for angels with plenty of definitions and references to check. There are even charts with angelic scripts in the back, which is quite interesting! This book is my first stop for lore when I need angelic information.
Johnna Zunshine
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We read to gain knowledge of angels. This book reveal destiny! She recommend this book for the public. Reason: To know destiny! Mankind can become destiny! Mankind can have knowledge of tri-unity of God's Government. Mankind can receive knowledge of orders in the spiritual world.
Linda White
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well researched. These names are hard to come by and then finding out their place/duties as angels or demons is truly an immense task. No matter your religious choice, this book is a good reference book to have.
Neil Sinclair
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A handy guide to both the Fairest and the Fallen.

if someone comes to your door in a trench coat and a slouch hat and hands you their business card you can see which team they play for before letting them in.
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Angels A to Z
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • Encyclopedia of Angels
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods  Goddesses
  • Complete Enochian Dictionary: A Dictionary of the Angelic Language as Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Encyclopedia of Hell
  • The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • Goddess: Myths of the Female Divine
  • The Book of Enoch
  • A Dictionary of Superstitions
Gustav Davidson was a poet, writer, and publisher. Davidson attended Columbia University in New York City and worked for the Library of Congress. He was one time secretary of the Poetry Society of America.
More about Gustav Davidson

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99