Start by marking “Making Is Connecting” as Want to Read:
Making Is Connecting

Making Is Connecting

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In Making is Connecting, David Gauntlett argues that through making things, people engage with the world and create connections with each other. Both online and offline, we see that people want to make their mark on the world, and to make connections.
During the previous century, the production of culture became dominated by professional elite producers. But today, a vast
Published April 11th 2011 by Polity Press (first published March 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Making Is Connecting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Is Connecting

Rachel Smalter Hall
Nov 10, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
Recommended to Rachel by: Heather
Shelves: british, crafty, essays, tech
Rats, didn't have time to finish this before it was due back at the library. Will have to pick it up again soon to finish. Loved the first half -- Gauntlet's got a great grasp on non-stuffy academic writing. And he talks about dinosaur cakes.
Barbie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: keptcopy
Read for school. It was pretty good, but not what I needed as a source unfortunately.
Ellen
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title sums up the book, but it is still a really good idea to read the book and explore the way the ideas are presented.

A key quote is:
"Why is everyday creativity important? Because I feel that it's incredibly important - important for society - and therefore political...But it is the fact the people have to make a choice - to make something themselves rather than just consume what's given by the big suppliers - that is significant. Amplified slightly, it leads to a whole new way of looking
Kim
I am a fan of David Gauntlett's work from back in the early aughts with his set of theorist trading cards. I discovered them while studying for my MA qualifying exams and thought they were delightful. At the time that I bought this book, I did not realize this was the same person.

So perhaps I am biased but I found this book to be more reasoned and balanced than other books on maker culture. I would describe Gauntlett's tone as cautiously optimistic rather than the euphoric optimism one finds in
Silvia
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Una lettura scorrevole ma non banale, che riempie di energia ed ottimismo verso le possibilita' offerte dal web 2.0 in termini di condivisione della propria creativita' e del proprio saper fare da parte dei "makers" in senso lato: i nuovi artigiani del XXI secolo. Fare e' connettere, e' condividere, e' collaborare, online ed offline, ed e' anche avere uno scopo, un progetto comune anche ad altri per cui spendere se stessi e grazie a cui relazionarsi reciprocamente. Queste, del fare qualcosa perc ...more
Nelson Zagalo
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Making is Connecting: The social meaning of creativity, from DIY and knitting to YouTube and Web 2.0 (2011) de David Gauntlett é um livro fundamental na corrente atual de livros (ex. livros de Clay Shirky ou Charles Leadbeater) sobre os efeitos da nova criatividade potenciada pela internet e mais especificamente pela web 2.0.

Análise no blog: http://virtual-illusion.blogspot.pt/2...
Paul Hartley
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this book last year but its the kind of book that is worth dipping into again and again. Gauntlett describes and analyses creativity in the community spanning arts and craft, blogs and YouTube and taking in social capital and web 2.0. Gauntlett gives us a number of tools for '...thinking about everyday life, creativity and media' in terms of five principles, including and '..an understanding of creativity as process, emotion and presence'.
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Found it a bit too optimistic at times and could've done with a healthy dose of scepticism. Plus some parts were overly lengthy and others not enough. Still, interesting stuff but not my favourite book on Web 2.0 and the power it has to connect people - try Clay Shirky's Here Comes Everyone instead.
Jason Antoniewicz
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Convinced me to stay on a Masters when I wanted to quit because it reminded me about why I did these things I do. Gauntlett also contributed feedback on my dissertation as well, which just sealed my respect for the guy.
Amy
Didn't finish this because it wasn't what I was expecting - more philosophical than practical.
Austin
Jun 29, 2013 added it
Shelves: school
Incredibly interesting and right smack in the middle of all of my research interests. Great read (for me at least)
Ilias
Anna
Apr 17, 2015
dartily
Feb 01, 2018
David Gauntlett is Professor of Media and Communications at the University of Westminster, London. He is the author of several books on media audiences and identities, including Moving Experiences (1995, 2005) and Creative Explorations (2007). He produces Theory.org.uk, the award-winning website on media, gender and identity.
More about David Gauntlett