Start by marking “The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius” as Want to Read:
The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius

The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius

Perhaps silver bells and cockleshells worked for contrary Miss Mary, but master gardeners do not “make” their gardens grow. And yet it is clearly not by chance or accident that they succeed. They understand the principles that govern their success, and they know their role in the process. Whether explicitly or intuitively, they understand natural law and they orchestrate c ...more
Published (first published February 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Student Whisperer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Student Whisperer

K.
Jun 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
So disappointing. I really don't have a thing good to say about this book, which is really sad, given that Oliver DeMille co-authored it.

However, since I never really got to the part he wrote I am sure I have made a premature and ill-founded judgment upon it.

Here's the problem(s) I had with it, which led to my inability to finish it (and I do hope to go back to the 2nd half of it someday when I've been properly washed clean of the gunk from the first).

-Mistakes abound. Some significant. How w
Alli
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am halfway through this book which means I've only read Tiffany Earl's part. I have really mixed feelings so far. On one hand, I am annoyed by her writing. It's all about how much smarter she is than her peers, how much more studious she is than just about everyone, what she thinks about things- and this is all told in awkward sentence structures and the most scattered disorganized format I've ever read. I often had that feeling like when you go into the kitchen and start looking around for so ...more
Celestia
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It's very inspiring. I had a hard time when I finished Tiffany Earl's section and moved on to Oliver's. Tiffany's style is a narrative and it's very interesting as she tells her story of growing, starting in scholar phase and pursuing depth in her college studies and then discovering her mission in life. So when I started reading Oliver's part it was harder because he doesn't tell many stories (only two that I could count, and they were very brief). He goes into the "how" of ...more
Deanna
Sorry everyone. I am getting uncomfortable with the emphasis on mentors and missions. Perhaps God can be our mentor and our mission could be being a mother? Just something to think about.... No lynch threats please.
Jenn
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe it is just me... but this book felt about 200 pages too long. Like they had 100 pages of true content and decided the book would be better if they could stretch it to 300.
Celeste Batchelor
The Student Whisperer is more than a book, it's a process! In order to truly get any meaning out of it, you need to complete all of the exercises and make a Student Whisperer Notebook. I decided to gain all the wisdom from it that I can to not skip any exercises, thus it took my much longer to finish the book than I expected.

I was happy to see so much incredible information included, even to the point of being a little overwhelming. I'm sure that as I practice and use the exercises in my mentori
Andrea
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mentoring
This book is divided into two sections. In the first section you follow a student through the process of being mentored while in public school and on through four years of college. In the second section you learn what it takes to be a mentor to students. The ideas are strongly correlated to the philosophy of education described in Oliver DeMille's books Leadership Education and A Thomas Jefferson Education. I liked the concept that ideas are transferred over time in a genealogy of thought. I lik ...more
Sara
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it

I thought that some of the reviews for this book were a little harsh. I think that the goal of the 'first book' was fairly well executed. Ms. Earl did a good job at trying to get the reader to know what it 'feels' like to be mentored. There were a few comments in the book that could have been taken as arrogant, but I don't think that was the intention of the writer. On the whole I came away from the first book as being inspired to some degree, for which I am grateful that I read it.

The 'second
Jorgina
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
THis book covers the idea that all children are geniuses and just need an insightful parent/mentor who is in tune to the child's personality, learning level, and desires. Included are charts to determine the type of mentor you are in comparison to the type the child needs and what approach you as the mentor should take to help them increase skills, overcome blocks/obstacles, stretch, etc. Co-authored by two people who really know their stuff about mentoring. I also discovered something about my ...more
Jackie Pilkinton
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tjed
This book is a must read for anyone who is serious about mentoring others and especially for those trying to implement Thomas Jefferson Education in their homes.

I really enjoyed reading about Tiffany's experiences and the journey she has taken to become a mentor. It caused me to reflect a great deal on the experiences I have had in my life that have led me to the path I am on today.

I really appreciated Oliver's insights on how to mentor well. Being a great mentor requires a lot of thought and t
Jonathan
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that will not allow you to put it down. It took me all night to read it, savor the words and the message, evaluate myself, and peer into the future.

In the end of Chapter 5, Tiffany Earl shares an amazing, catalytic experience at the Museum of Terror. The struggle between liberty and evil is tangible, as is the Call to join the fight. Her words echoed the desire of my heart, and they bring tears to my eyes now as well as when I first read them.

I cannot wait to reread th
Aimee
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this book. The first half is OK. Some parts were hard to get through for the simple reason that for the format (to my mind) it didn't make sense. I did enjoy the story, though. The second part of the book, however, is where the real meat of the book is. THAT'S the part I enjoyed the most. That was incredibly helpful and insightful, but you really have to do the work at the end of every chapter to get the results. I know that I will be taking several of these practices into my own ...more
Marilyn
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about TIffany's road to a liberal arts education. It inspires me to be more specific in crafting what Diann Jeppson calls a master plan for our family's education. I didn't go through the Oliver's exercises in the back. Some of them I will go back and do. Others are too deep and long for my purposes. I didn't know that Hungarian students revolted against Stalin and had a wee of freedom before the tanks rolled in in the 50's. THis book makes me want to study up and then travel ( ...more
Janalyn Blanchard
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book and did most of the exercises as I did. As I'm only beginning to understand mentoring and how to be a great mentor, I had a hard time with some of the assignments. Still, it was an amazing experience. I found myself applying some of the concepts talked about here to all areas of my life, not just the mentoring of my children. I recommend this book to all and will return to it again in the future.
Maria
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will definitely be reading this book over and over again. This time I just read it to get an idea of what student whispering entails. Next time will be more time consuming because I will be doing the exercises found in it and recording in my student whisperer journal. What a journey it will lead me to! What is my life's mission? Courage to do it!
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely the most powerful and useful book Oliver DeMille has written to date. I wish every parent and teacher in the world had access to it. I'm still processing it. I've read the whole thing, but I am still working on the last of the "homework" exercises. If you do the writing exercises, there is NO WAY for it to not substantially change your life.
Teresa
Jun 28, 2011 is currently reading it
Finished first half - good, eye-opening account of Tiffany Earl's college experience in light of having a true mentor. Second half is about how to be a mentor to someone, and is written by her mentor, Oliver DeMille. Tiffany talks about adhering to CM philosophy in her writing, but the 'how-to' part seems not so CM-friendly. Should probably wait until I finish to pass judgement, though.
Tammy
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book went from entertaining in parts to insightful to almost prophetically, to the letter, describing some of my life's transformational experiences. I've marked this book up all over! Oliver's essays were especially far reaching and Powerful. I will reference it over and over in the future.
Melissa Cochran
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
There were some good ideas presented in this book, but it was difficult to read because of the patronizing attitude of the author. It reads like an unedited story of the author's fantastic education and then transitions into the feel of a cheesy self-help book.
Janet
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting. I thought it would help more with guiding children, but really only dealt with mentor phase, not any phases before that. The first half of the book was Tiffany Earl's own story. While interesting, it wasn't what I was looking for.
Christy
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
The first part is probably 4 stars; Oliver's how to is 5.
Diane
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Between 3 and 4, although I have not done the workbook section yet. The final chapter before the workbook portion was the most helpful for me.
Tanya
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education, classics
An incredible book for anyone who wishes to be an effective, outstanding mentor!
Kayti
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Myra
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really liked the first half, and only got a ways into the second half and just didn't feel like reading the rest...
Olivia
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn't really like it. It didn't feel like it was making a point to me and although I tried to preservere, I gave up 3/4 of the way through.
Tia
Apr 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Turn the Page: How to Read Like a Top Leader
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Better Late Than Early: A New Approach to Your Child's Education
  • The Making of America: The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution
  • The Great Conversation: The Substance Of A Liberal Education (Great Books Of The Western World, #1)
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
  • Understanding the Times: The Collision of Today's Competing Worldviews
  • The One Minute Teacher
  • How Children Fail
  • School Education: Developing A Curriculum (Original Homeschooling #3)
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Writing Road to Reading: The Spalding Method for Teaching Speech, Spelling, Writing, and Reading
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • Asimov on Numbers
  • Brain-Based Learning: The New Science of Teaching & Training
  • Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit
Oliver DeMille is the founder and former president of George Wythe University, a founding partner of The Center for Social Leadership, and the author of A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the 21st Century.

As a university student, Oliver went on a search for a truly great education — experiencing private and public universities, technical and religious schools, corpo
“No U.S. president can “fix” education, no law can systematize inspiration, and no amount of funding, policy or resources can structure passion.” 3 likes
“How many have been persuaded that they needed to make it their life’s purpose to find a job, follow a career, be normal, fit in, or seek security, prestige, power or possessions? What great blessings has the world missed out on because of these choices?” 2 likes