Start by marking “Why I Jumped: A Dramatic Story of Finding Hope Beyond Depression” as Want to Read:
Why I Jumped: A Dramatic Story of Finding Hope Beyond Depression

Why I Jumped: A Dramatic Story of Finding Hope Beyond Depression

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  414 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Readers won't be able to put down this powerful true story of crippling depression, dramatic rescue, and a return to hope. Now in paperback.
Published March 1st 2008 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published December 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Why I Jumped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I Jumped

Jenna
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers, expectant mothers, mothers with PPD, christians
A very (less than 24 hours) quick read that kept me interested throughout the entire book. Basically, you read quickly to get to the point where she jumps, wanting to know how everything played together to that point and then, after you get there, you want to keep reading in order to know "what happens." It's not an easy read for anyone who has experienced depression, PPD or abuse but I think it's a great, realistic and spiritually positive book for mothers experiencing some of these issues.

Issu
Molly
Sep 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's the voyeur in me, the rubber-necker that caused me to borrow this from a non-reading friend's apartment. I spent high school in Green Bay, and whenever we go home, we cross the Tower Drive Bridge and I do remember when the video circulated though I'd been gone for five years; beyond that, I've taken courses such as Women and Madness in History and Literature and hold up poets such as Plath and Sexton as excellent examples in craft.

But the writing here, even ghost written, is woefully poor.
Amy
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an emotionally charged book that left me teary eyed, due to the disturbing subject matter, but, the story would have had a bigger impact had it been written with more personal insight. It seemed to merely skim through Tina's life. This would be a good book for those who suffer from any type of depression, to help them realize that they're not alone -and- for those who do not suffer from any type of depression, to help them understand what it is like for those who do suffer from depressi ...more
Bettye Ohrem
Was a very good book,
Lynn Tolson
Tina Zahn describes her descent into a suicide attempt in this memoir about the ramifications of unresolved childhood trauma. Zahn explains that her post-partum depression was a final blow after a lifetime of abuse and abandonment. She reveals in the prologue that the reader will experience the drama of her story. The drama is captured on police video, which was recorded from the patrol car's camera as Zahn jumped from a bridge. Zahn's story was aired on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Tina was sexually
Tippy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For everything she had to endure in childhood and as an adult I give praise to Tina Zahn for having the courage to stand up and share her story. PPD is something not so easily recognized and indeed does get worse with each successful pregnancy. I've had my own battles and after my 4th child I hit a point in my life that left me alienating my friends, my family, and abandoning the things I once found enjoyable. The bad thing about PPD is that it's not so easily shared with amongst friends and fam ...more
Bob Price
Tina Zahn has much to be commended for...most importantly for overcoming and being will to talk about her depression and that which caused it.

Why I Jumped is her autobiographical exercise in coming to terms with her life and allowing others to learn from it. She became a national sensation when she jumped off a bridge in Green Bay, WI; only to be saved at the last possible moment by a police officer who risked his life to save Zahn's.

For the most part, Zahn's book is clear, concise and engagin
Ashley Tetzlaff
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! This is an amazing book. Very riveting story. I could hardly stand to put it down.

Tina Zahn tells about the bridge incident, to be sure, but her depression started much earlier than just some PPD after her 2nd child. Why I Jumped tells about the sexual abuse she suffered as a child (no worries, she doesn't go into details here, mostly just tells how she felt about it, not what happened exactly), the control others held over her life for many years, becoming an extreme people pleaser in or
Erica Floyd
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the biography, Why I Jumped. this book tells the story of Tina Zahn, who suffers from post-partum depression. Since childhood, she has lived through many traumatic events up to adulthood. Tina makes an attempt to jump off the high bridge in Wisconsin all the while her husband, Daniel warns the police who happens to be near the bridge and follows right behind Tina. As soon as she tries to get out of her car and jump off the bridge, the police and two others grab her just in time.
I enjoyed
Lydia
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tina Zahn gives a great, honest account of her journey through childhood trauma and adult depression. As with many cases of postpartum depression, giving birth brought her underlying issues to the surface and to a crisis point. Her postpartum depression resulted in her suicide attempt (which was caught on tape by a state trooper's dash cam).

People who have never been depressed have a hard time understanding someone who is. Tina writes,

I know that people in depression must look lazy and selfish t
Andrea
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-ficiton
VERY QUICK READ!!
This autobiography is a woman's past that leads to depression on attempted suicide. As a child Tina was abused and by 23 years old she has had made some huge decisions that really effect her. After settling down with her husban she has two children and gets postpartum depression. Being saved by a police officer who risks his own life to save her she meraciously survies the ordeal and finds a new sorce of strength in God and the people she loves around her.
I enjoyed this book,
Shari
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story! What a story of HOPE for so many out there who suffer from clinical depression. Most people, particularly women, have suffered from a bout or two (or more) of depression, myself included. While I've never suffered as severely as the author of this book, I could relate in so many ways to her as I read this.
Tina has overcame so much including a jump from a bridge famous for no survivors! God had other plans for her life that's for sure. This book also reminds us of the power o
Jean Callaway
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew the barebone facts before reading this book. But reading first hand of the abuse, the manipulation, the called workers who didn't help, the physical pain, it was a great story. What I enjoyed most was Tina's journey with God. Her prayer group friends, God Bless you for recognizing and taking the time to pray for her. How scripture was weaved into the book, "For I know the pland I have for you" Jeremiah 29:11. Just wonderfully done. As a person who has anxiety and dealt with depression, I ...more
Regina
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in awhile God brings a book into my life that wakes me up and reminds me how much He loves us. This is one of those books. Sometimes it's easy to think that my experience with PPD was the most horrific of all time. But there's always someone who's endured worse. It just makes me all the more aware of all the times God had His hand on me over the years, even though I couldn't feel it or see it. He protected me from so much and I need these reminders to be grateful. If you want to hear ...more
Denise Nutt-Beers
The writing is a bit sad here, although one does sympathize with the writer. There was a unfortunate lack of attention to detail in the story. I don't know much more than that she suffered debilitating depression, received some intense treatment and structured prayer, and got better. She covers the entire first year of her child's life and never mentions how it impacted him, what she felt when he looked at her as mommy, or any other vivid details. Fortunately, it takes just a short time to read.
Tori
This is at least the second book I have read about someone attempting suicide but surviving. With both, I was surprised at how little insight they offered into what was going on at the time of their attempt. (This one goes through the events that led up to the attempt but not too much into what she was feeling.) I think this says a lot about depression and how bad their mental state has gotten to lead them to that point.
The story of a woman's ilfe from her horrible childhood to her struggle with back pain and post pardum depression as an adult. It all got so bad, that she tried to jump off a bridge, but an off duty officer caught her wrist at the last second. She wants to give others hope and to encourage you to strengthen your faith in God to get through. There is a way. It's just not easy and takes a lot of work.
Chandra Boulden
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, book-club
Whoa! What a harrowing experience. A very intriguing peek into depression, and how strong it is to overcome. I think as women it's a hard fight to stand against because we are taught to be good and get along. Many women turn into people pleasers, which can lead to unhappiness if it's not kept in check. Her story is a good example of this. If the whole book was wrote like the first part it would be a five star for sure, but you can tell when the authors change.
Maegan
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women suffering through PPD, those interested in the follow up of news events, Christian living
Recommended to Maegan by: Kim from MOPS
Shelves: memoirs
A fast read, partly because it is not particularly well-written. It is the narrative of Zahn's journey through post partum depression. There is not a great deal of personal insight, but it was nice to have validation for some of my own feelings. Zahn had a horrible experience growing up, the sections about the sexual abuse at the hands of her step father were very hard to read. I imagine for those who have been abused it would be very traumatic.
Hollie
Feb 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very brave of Tina to share her story. I'm glad she's found peace. It was interesting to read as I remember when she jumped, and so many times with news stories such as this, especially local news stories, you don't get the follow up. At the time, its watercooler talk - you speculate and sympathize, but often soon forget... And the officers who caught Tina and brought her back up over the side of the bridge - what amazing heroes.
Ashley Maden
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a heartfelt story about a woman and the dramatic stories of her life and situations that ultimately led to her trying to end her own life. It was a great reminder that we never know what someone is going through or what they have been through and what they are feeling and to always pay attention to those we care for and never underestimate the power that depression can have over someone's life.
Kristin
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
+ I first heard of this story when I saw the video on Tru TV (on a show about events captured on police dash cameras). I ordered the book from PBS immediately!!
+ An inspiring and amazing story. I could only hope for the best for Tina Zahn. She's been through so much!!
- The book was really fast paced - like she rushed to write it. I felt like it was lacking necessary details towards the end.
Tara
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have felt exactly the same at one point in my life... the only difference is that my (then) husband didn't stand by me, or try to get me help:/ my depression got so bad that I remember I felt nothing at all. I didn't care about anything or anyone. I couldn't even get out of bed to take care of my kids.
Sherry
Oct 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a great deal of insight into the mind of someone suffering from deep depressive symptoms. In Zahn's case it was post-partum depression that started her decent. This would be helpful to anyone having lost someone to suicide or living with someone suffering from depression. Can also alert new mother's and their loved ones as to symptoms to be on the lookout for after childbirth.
Carrie
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I have had post-partum, so I liked reading about someone else having it, since when you're in it, you think it's only you. You are crazy and you know it, but you can't stop it. It's awful. This book has an interesting story, but the writing was horrible. I guess it is accessible to the Oprah audience...
Jessica Brauker
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short and emotional read for me. I suffered through post partum with psychosis. Although Tina's case wasn't as severe as mine, her story moved me and brought me to tears. If only I had read this book sooner maybe I wouldn't have tried to take my life. Tina's story is an inspiration to anyone who has been there or anyone currently there. Please read!
Kimberly
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The beginning was kinda boring so I skimmed through it but the end was great! The most meaningful thing to me was how her spiritual journey was so crucial for her to finally start healing. Fascinating postpartum depression story.
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very fast read - its a compelling story about a woman who jumped from a bridge in Wisconsin and survived. It's a miraculous account of her journey into depression and her long road out of it.
Angie crosby
Due to my own sexual abuse history I found the descriptive parts difficult to read. I thought the book was good, however I felt like Tina was saying it was worse for her because of her past, and I don't feel it is right to say anyones depression is worse than another persons. I
Jen
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a woman's struggle with depression and family issues, as well as the hope that she now feels after finding God and staying strong. It gives you insight into how one would feel if they were a victim of abuse and/or depression.
Why I jumped--what a joke! 1 16 Feb 12, 2008 10:29AM
  • Three Weddings and a Giggle
  • The Time Travelers: Volume One
  • The Gifted
  • Simple Path
  • A Place at the Table: The Crisis of 49 Million Hungry Americans and How to Solve It
  • Between Heaven and Ground Zero: One Woman's Struggle for Survival and Faith in the Ashes of 9/11
  • What Every Mom Needs
  • Majestie: The King Behind the King James Bible
  • Sinner's Creed
  • Find Me
  • Since Then: How I Survived Everything and Lived to Tell About it
  • Multiple Bles8ings: Surviving to Thriving with Twins and Sextuplets
  • Body by God: The Owner's Manual for Maximized Living
  • If You Have a Craving, I Have a Cure: Experience Food, Faith, and Fulfillment a Whole New Way