Start by marking “Selected Poems of Victor Hugo: A Bilingual Edition” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems of Victor Hugo: A Bilingual Edition

Selected Poems of Victor Hugo: A Bilingual Edition

Although best known as the author of Notre Dame de Paris and Les Misérables, Victor Hugo was primarily a poet—one of the most important and prolific in French history. Despite his renown, however, there are few comprehensive collections of his verse available and even fewer translated editions.

Translators E. H. and A. M. Blackmore have collected Victor Hugo's essential
Published June 1st 2004 by University of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems of Victor Hugo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems of Victor Hugo

Start your review of Selected Poems of Victor Hugo: A Bilingual Edition
Rosa Ramôa
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
O Homem e a Mulher

O homem é a mais elevada das criaturas;
A mulher é o mais sublime dos ideais.
O homem é o cérebro;
A mulher é o coração.
O cérebro fabrica a luz;
O coração, o amor.
A luz fecunda, o amor ressuscita.
O homem é forte pela razão;
A mulher é invencível pelas lágrimas.
A razão convence, as lágrimas comovem.
O homem é capaz de todos os heroísmos;
A mulher, de todos os martírios.
O heroísmo enobrece, o martírio sublima.
O homem é um código;
A mulher é um evangelho.
O código corrige; o evangelho
Svetlana
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excelent descriptions. I love how he makes things, the wind, the sea, rivers mountains... even a sunset come to life.
Elizabeth
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love, love love so many poems here. Some not so much. I like to be able to pick this book up, close my eyes and let the pages flutter by until my finger stops the movement. I always find something new in this collection even if I've read many of the poems many times. Definitely not for everyone, but filled with emotion as only Victor Hugo can...
Zoe
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
I spent my summer vacation reading through this book, as well as the 2002 Brooks Haxton translation "Victor Hugo Selected Poems." Knowing nothing about Hugo, I also had to read up on the French Revolution and the difference between Napoleon I and Napoleon III. I'm grateful to Angeel ___, the late French scholar who last resided at a retirement home in San Mateo, for turning my attention to this major poet of the Romantic period.
Varja Askeland
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing work by an amazing poet!
A very good translation, since they havn't changed too much in his poems - Victor Hugo's spirit is still in this english translation. Great work, I don't think it could have been done better!
Lanny
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I forget where I read it, but there was a population swell
traced back directly to when the announcement was made of Hugo's death. A great tide of anguish and romance washed over the streets of Paris. I've seen pictures of the funeral procession. As throngy as any Ayatollah's affair. Amazing!
Eadweard
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I enjoyed them, I thought these were going to be a bit too Romantic for me but they weren't.
Fathya
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the one with title "Whose Fault Is This? (June 25, 1871)"
عمران ابن مصر
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ec
يبدأ فيكتور هوغو بالحديث عن الولد الأكبر شارل الذي كان الأول بين الراحلَيْن. فهو يراه مختالاً بنفسه ذكياً ويعمل من دون كلل أو ملل. بيد ان هذا التوصيف لا يعني ان الكاتب- الأب أراد هنا أن يكتب سيرة ابنه الذي كان يرى فيه في البداية نوعاً من الاستكمال لمسيرته الخاصة، ولكن صورة جانبية تتفادى رسم المسار الذي سارت عليه حياة شارل القصيرة. وهكذا، من دون سرد تأريخي كرونولوجي يحدثنا فيكتور كيف كان شارل كاتباً ومؤلف كتب كبيراً وربما بخاصة بفضل روايته «الرؤيوية» المعنونة «خنزير القديس أنطوان». بيد ان من ...more
Ana
There's nothing wrong with these poems, but none of their themes or metaphors caught my fancy.
Charlie Ericson
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't pretend this rating needs justification
Trounin
До 1848 года Гюго рассуждал о разном, затрагивая любые годные ему темы, даже посвящал стихи людям искусства, вроде Дюрера и Данте. Но с 1848 года Гюго обрёл настоящего себя, так как к власти пришёл Наполеон III, провозгласивший Вторую республику. Гюго пророчески предупреждает французов о грядущих несчастьях, если ненавистный ему политический деятель останется у власти. Его ожидания оправдались: в 1852 году Наполеон III отказывается от республики и устанавливает в стране Вторую империю, чем ...more
J.M. Hushour
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
That these are mostly pretty terrible, stylistically-speaking, is no reflection on Hugo as a writer: indeed, he is one of the titans of the modern novel, unassailable and profound. Instead, it's mostly a reflection on the stale shape of poetry during the period straddling the middle of the 19th century. With Romanticism twitching about and Symbolism and the "moderns" en route, Hugo unfortunately falls in a weird niche of unbelievably awful verse partly centered on eulogizing and panegyricizing ...more
Barbara
This is the exact version I actually have, so I'm adding this to my "read" list. I'll keep the other version on my list here to remind me that there's an illustrated version of this collection out there.
Melissa
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can really see how Hugo's life affected his poetry. A book full of feeling!
sandra
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I still pick this up and read a bit from it. I love Hugo's poetry.
Jana
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This man was so talented. I have heard that he wrote one poem every day for his entire adult life! Some consider him the father of the romantic period in France.
Medayat
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
un grand poete .. un grand homme ..
un celebre intellectuel francais de tous les temmps
ces poemes sont clairs et eternels..
Elissa
Jul 24, 2012
violet
Aug 16, 2011

• The Mirror and the Lamp: Romantic Theory and the Critical Tradition
  • Paradiso (The Divine Comedy, #3)
  • Purgatorio (La Divina Commedia #2)
  • Vita Nuova
  • Les Fleurs du Mal
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Odes
  • Idylls
  • The Satyricon
  • Jason and the Golden Fleece (The Argonautica)
  • The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays
  • The Enneads
  • Plato: Complete Works
  • Lyrics of the French Renaissance: Marot, Du Bellay, Ronsard
  • Méditations poétiques et Nouvelles méditations poétiques
Victor Hugo, in full Victor-Marie Hugo (b. February 26, 1802, Besançon, France – d. May 22, 1885, Paris, France), poet, playwrighter, novelist, dramatist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France, who was the most important of the French Romantic writers. Though regarded in France as one of that ...more