Start by marking “Mog in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Mog in the Dark

Mog in the Dark

(Mog the Forgetful Cat #4)

An all-time classic Mog story refreshed with a new cover and format.

Join Mog for a fantastical adventure with mousedogbird!

Mog sat in the dark.
Mog thought in the dark.
But the dark was not where Mog wanted to be…
And who else was there in the dark?

One night Mog’s imagination takes her on a hilarious twilight adventure to a land of fantastical creatures, but true to form, all
Published January 3rd 2006 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Mog in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mog in the Dark

Abigail
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mog Fans
Mog, that rather befuddled feline whose story began in Mog the Forgetful Cat , returns in this delightfully surreal nighttime adventure, finding herself shut out of her house, and growing increasingly frightened of the possible dangers - conjured up by a vivid imagination - lurking in the dark. Imagining gigantic birds with teeth, and flying dogs, she retreats to her favorite tree, where she eventually falls asleep, and dreams that she is being transported back to her family. Only it isn't her ...more
Shaun
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Mog the cat who gets locked out of her house. She gets increasingly worried about what could happen to her while out in the dark alone. When she begins to think of flying dogs and birds with teeth, she retreats to her favourite tree where she falls fast asleep. She dreams about supper and that she is back with her family - but the dream turns into a nightmare about 'mousedogbirds'.

The reason I choose to review this book is because it was the first book that I remember loving
Vorbis
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is actually a premier's reading challenge book. Like.. seriously? I like the Mog books and so does Matt. This is not a good one of them. Mog has a trippy dream and makes up words. It is nonsensical hallucinatory crap, like anyone describing their dream to you is. Interesting to them, bloody annoying to the listener.
"And then the bird grew teeth and was actually a mousedogbird!"
"...Fascinating."

Helena's Library
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oof... my daughter loves all the Mog books, and clearly she enjoys this one too, since she asked me to read her "the one where he's flying in the dark" the other day (we don't own this one, only borrowed it from the library).
But for me, this is the worst entry in the series (of the ones I've read) - there's no story really, just a big hallucinatory dream sequence involving some MouseDogBird creature which has its moments but is just not very enjoyable overall. And it's repetitive too - Mog's Am
Ana
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is very different than the rest of the Mog series and not in a good way.
It felt to me like the author is trying to pull a 'Dr. Seuss' (whom I love) and failing miserably.
I would even say it is quite disturbing.
Harriet Mitchell
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a poignant day to have read some Mog to Reception...
Jenna Mills
A bit of a weird one, but great to have a book which looks at nightmares
Grace Dawson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was written using only 60 different words to make it ideal for a first reader. The birds with big teeth were quite frightening!
Jacqueline Brocker
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nanolomo
Mog sat in the dark and thought dark thoughts.

It strikes me as interesting that one of my favourite books as when I wasn't even 10 was published the year I was born (1983 - which additionally is when another favourite, So You Want To Be a Wizard, was also published - that's coming later this month).

But that's by the by.

Mog was a series of children's books created by Judith Kerr. I had two when I was a child; Mog and the Baby and Mog in the Dark. The latter was always my favourite - I suspect t
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
Mog in the Dark is about Mog the cat experiencing the dangers of being outside at night compared to his daily routine of being a cat at home in his nice warm basket and with his family. This was the first time I’d ever read a book by Judith Kerr and her continued Mog books, even though I’ve been hearing about Mog for years. I have to say I was excited to dive in with my daughter, but it was quite clear from the start that this was not a book that we were going to enjoy. The main problem was that ...more
Karen
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Despite having lived in England for a few years during my youth, and then, much later, growing up to be a children's librarian, I wasn't familiar with Mog books. At least I wasn't until last year, and that infamous, glorious Sainsbury advert. I was so in love with Mog from the advert, I had to buy my own Mog the cat. Then my son wanted one. And one thing led to another and to this book.

Even though this book isn't the strongest outing for Mog the cat, my son still loved it. I suspect, however, h
Relyn
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't.
Recommended to Relyn by: Sainsbury's
I blame Sainsbury's. Yep. It's Sainsbury's fault that I read the most boring children's book I've ever read. "What's Sainsbury's?" you might ask. A grocery chain in England. If you haven't watched them, rush over to Youtube and watch Sainsbury's Christmas commercials. They really are wonderful.

The newest one featured Mog, England's most beloved cat, so of course I had to read the story. Ummmmmm.... maybe it's better if you loved it as a child? Hmmmm.... I didn't like the art - at all. And, the
Seth Mowshowitz
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been reading this to my 3 year old daughter for a few weeks now and I think it is becoming my favourite children's book since my first child was born 6 years ago. Mog's imagination reels as she hangs out by herself in the dark thinking 'dark thoughts' nearly to the point of Magical Mystery Tour psychedelia. My favourite line by far is "big birds with teeth can be bad in the dark."
t u r q u o i s e
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading any of Judith Kerr's childrens books with my kids :) Especially the Mog stories, & The Tiger who came to Tea. From my experience most children become interested & tickled by her work! This particular book is simple and created especially for young readers starting out.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, kids-books
I can't fault the depiction of Mog's dreams, but this is a bit of a pain to read out loud with its repetitive sentence-building. Fewer pages or more content would be an improvement. My daughter loved it.
l.
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Mog thought, who is that?
Who is that in the dark?
Is that a bird?
Birds are not bad.

But it may be a big bird.

It ma be a big bird with teeth.
A big bird with teeth can be bad.

Big birds with teeth
can be bad in the dark"

What kind of Charlie Day nightmare?
Sebastian Chaoui
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Legit, worth every star.
Stacey Schmidt
Oct 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mog
A story where Mog has nightmares. I thought it would scare my seven-year-old because of some of the disturbing monsters in the nightmares so I didn't read it to him.
Janine Cranmer
Mar 08, 2016
foxesrosedagger
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Judith Kerr was a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany with her parents and her brother, Michael, in 19

Mog the Forgetful Cat (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Mog the Forgetful Cat