Start by marking “Green Monk” as Want to Read:
Green Monk

Green Monk

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Green Monk follows the adventures of a Monk cast out of his order, wandering a mythical Russian countryside. His only companion is a magical blade of grass that draws him into a brutal struggle against a terrifying foe. "Imaginative ideas abound in this book, like a blade of grass that can cut mountains and a witch's head held at bay by gripping its braided lock. Every sin ...more
Published 2009 by Whistling Cloud

To ask other readers questions about Green Monk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Monk

Rose
This was a cleanly told, brief little story. The plot was enjoyable, and clearly sets up a take-off point for a larger work, but I was most impressed by the layout - if the artist had a less thorough understanding of line and motion, the action in single-panel pages could have felt very flat. Instead, fight scenes flowed easily and my eye never stumbled. I do love clear focal points. A well executed, satisfying book all around.
David Stewart
Green Monk is about an exiled monk with a blade of grass style sword that can cleave anything...literally anything. In this tale, which I have to assume is part of a larger narrative, he battles a giant who happens to be terrorizing a local countryside. The story is short, with a fair share of action and a few moral lessons thrown in. I enjoyed reading through it, even though it only takes about ten to fifteen minutes to read in its entirety. The drawing is simple, in an almost anime style but s ...more
Ashley
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Green Monk created so many questions, starting with if I read this properly because it seemed more like a parable than a fully developed story. I liked the art--sparing lines and black and white--and I liked the dialogue. There was some cool magic (like a witch's braid, which sounds awesome, and a leaf blade that was supposed to be badass in an a priori way) but honestly, not much happened.
Kokeshi
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: russia
An excellent little graphic novel in a perfect format with great drawings and an intriguing story. I definitely wanted this story to continue, but even in its shortness there is exceptional story telling. I look forward to what comes next
Corby H
Fun little fantasy story about justice, cunning and penance.
Chris Tsang
Not as good as I thought it would be, but a fun quick read. Those who like graphic novels will read in about 5-10 minutes.
Wendy
Very small book.

Simple story of forgiveness(?), maybe redemption is the better word.
Lindsay
A quick, simple comic but well illustrated and well told. I found the style reminiscent of Jeff Smith.
furious
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, mines
a weird little book that feels like it's a chapter in a longer work. very reminiscent of Jeff Smith's style. little dialogue, big action. all single panel pages. very cool, can't wait to see more.
Alison
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of YALSA's top picks in graphic novels for for Teens of the year. Enjoyed it-I look forward to future adventures of Alexey the Monk-and future work from Brandon Dayton.
Nick
Feb 06, 2012
Robert Chartrand
Dec 09, 2011
Brandon
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Brian
Feb 28, 2012
Cooper
Jan 27, 2016
Ty Hatch
Sep 17, 2013
1 follower
Brandon has worked in animation, illustration and concept art. He has created concept art for multiple titles for EA Games and for Disney Infinity.

In 2009 he self published his first mini-comic, Green Monk, which was selected for the YALSA Top Ten Great Graphic Novels for Teens Booklist. In 2017 he was a contributor to Jim Henson's Storyteller: Giants anthology.

Brandon is easily distracted. Some