Start by marking “Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy, #1)

Days of Infamy (Days of Infamy #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,459 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
On December 7, 1941, the Japanese launched an attack against U.S. naval forces stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. But what if the Japanese followed up their air assault with an invasion and occupation of Hawaii? This is the question explored by Harry Turtledove in Days of Infamy, with frightening implications. With American military forces subjugated and civilians living i ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2010 by Tantor Audio Pa (first published November 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Days of Infamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Infamy

Bill Ward
I have mixed feelings about Harry Turtledove's writing, and this book is as good of an example of the reasons as any. On the plus side, he takes a scenario from our history, changes one key fact (in this case, the Japanese sent an invasion fleet to Hawaii and not just a strike force), and then carries things on to a natural conclusion. As a geek I love the "what-if" scenarios.

But there are two fatal flaws to his writing, that I must also acknowledge: women characters and grease-spot expository.

L
Marc
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Harry Turtledove. While his book don't pack as much of an emotional punch, I do always find them interesting about what could happen. They seem to make a lot of sense. That said, I didn't quite enjoy Days of Infamy like his other series.

The main reason was that I didn't feel any sympathy towards any of the Japanese characters from the Axis. I've felt sympathy towards his German and Southern characters in his other works, but not here. I don't know if it was because of the way he portrayed
Barry
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and complex, Days of Infamy explores the question "what if Japan followed the attack on Pearl Harbor with an invasion of the islands?"
In general, he does a good job. He presents the way the Japanese of the time thought and would have reacted realistically, which is essential to true historical understanding and explains a lot about what happened in Japan when the non fictional war ended.
I do think that he is a little short on the strategic aspects of what the Japanese would have don
Scott Law
I enjoy reading alternative histories. This was a bit different in that the branching point was not so long ago, basically what if the Japanese has occupied Hawaii rather than just bombing Pearl Harbor. It was very detailed and presumably accurate (I'm not really that up on the topic, but Turtledove has a pretty good reputation). It involved a couple of actual people involved with the original attack, but there was also a good size cast of regular people on both sides and how they were affected. ...more
Eric Diehl
I fretted over giving this read just 3 stars, because it's done well enough that I feel it *should* get more. The problem is that I could never really connect with it---especially the characters---and, especially in the first half, I seriously considered setting it aside and moving on. I am no authority on the history surrounding Pearl Harbor, but Turtledove reportedly is, and I'd say that shows. But much of the narrative was kinda sterile feeling to me, even in the heat of battle.
I'm also a li
Mr.B
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What if the Japanese had followed up their surprise attack on Pearl Harbor with a land assault and occupation of Hawaii? Turtledove writes alternative history--some good, some not. He knows a lot and researches his work well, but his writing can approach superlative levels of mediocrity. Plot driven. Unfortunately, Turtledove prefers to write massive, multi-volume "epics" that are never complete works in a single cover. By the end of this book, the Japanese are well entrenched in Hawaii and the ...more
Mark
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important safety tip: this is actually a 2 book series, coupled with THE END OF THE BEGINNING. This book ends in the middle of the story!

With that said, it's one of the more interesting Turtledove "what if this had happened?" novels... I think the focus on the Japanese taking & holding Hawaii helped the author focus his storylines and makes his usual "plotting by coincidence" more palatable.

I'm looking forward to the next book.
Thomas Nettleton
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this book is NOT 520 pages long. It is, in reality, 369 pages long.

Overall, a very entertaining and thoughtful read, and a good, solid work of alternative history. What if Admiral Yammamoto had been command of the Japanese fleet, instead of Admiral Nagumo, at Pearl Harbor? The war in the Pacific certainly would have been very different. We'll never know in this reality, thank God. :)
Larry Corn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has taken fact and turned it into a 180 degree angle of fiction. I hope he

Will continue this storyline to a full conclusion. He has peaked my interest in his concept. At this time I don't know if he has continued this book,but I hope that he has.
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: Days of Infamy by Harry Turtledove.

One of Turtledove 19s amazing, creative, well written books. Turtledove has assembled an interesting cast of characters including Japanese residents of Oahu, a surfboarder, several Americans soldiers and airmen, and a wide collection of Japanese leaders and soldiers. The novel moves a bit slowly, but the battle scenes are the tip of the iceberg, full of descriptive maneuvers, a lot of rearranged history, very educating and intriguing to read.

The novel
David
Jul 15, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history
Another Turtledove down. I love Hawaii. I love World War II. I love alt history. So this was a natural to check out. Took me a while to get into the story but towards the end I was really into it. I feel his other "south win civil war fights north again and again" series is much better. At least it grabbed my interest more but this was still good and I'm looking forward to the next volume. My only real complaint is that once again, he makes the US look like they can't fight a war at all at first ...more
Shane
"Days of Infamy" had an interesting premise: what if the Japanese had attacked and occupied Hawaii in the beginning of World War II. As the book presents it, they would have been wise to do so.
Turtledove's action scenes are great; the entire beginning of the book is basically one long, running battle.
He also gets you to invest in a wide range of characters, both American and Japanese, military and civilian.
Perhaps not the book's fault, but I didn't realize this was only part 1 until I reached th
Christopher
The first volume in a very enjoyable 2-volume alt-history series which asks "What if the Japanese sent an invasion force to Hawaii in 1941 instead of just bombing Pearl Harbor?"

What follows is a "fun" occupation of Hawaii by Japanese forces as U.S. forces eventually surrender and the Japanese install a native-Hawaiian puppet king. American forces on the mainland slowly muster and prepare to strike back but the book ends before that comes to pass (saving it for Vol 2).

In the meantime, we get a
Doug
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history or modern warfare
A highly plausible alternate history exploring what might have happened had the Japanese empire chosen to invade and occupy the Hawaiian islands rather than carry out the drive-by style attack at Pearl Harbor they did in actuality. His characters are well developed; as in his other books, he creates a fairly large cast of memorable people, and the subplots involving their experiences with the invasion and occupation both give the story greater depth and show more detail about the military and ci ...more
David
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this story of what could have happened it after Japanese carrier planes attacked the US installations at Pearl Harbor if they had landed troops. I really liked all the color in the story that includes not only the fighting on Oahu but the stories of the people living on the island and how they must change in order to live.

I'm looking forward to the next book End of the Beginning ....
Rob
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Decent idea, really terrible writing. The sort of book where you read crappy paragraphs to whoever is around you because they're so unbelievable and cringetastically hokey. Countless examples of writer/editor laziness, like when different characters both say that the Japanese "really jumped on [Hawaii] with both feet" like 10 pages apart. How this guy can be the king of alternate history while writing so very poorly is a mystery to me.
John
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No fantasy elements for Turtledove in this alternative history. What happens when the Japanese attack an unprepared American Force on Dec. 7th @ Pearl Harbor? (They kicked our @$$ for those who didn't know.) But what if they followed up with an invasion of the islands?

Here's one possibility and it's well thought out. I really enjoyed this book and am enjoying the next one too. Give it a shot.
Steve
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-history
AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING! Turtledove does it yet again! A realistic and well researched idea of a Japanese invation of Hawaii after the Pearl Harbor attack brought to you by a wide variety of characters from both sides and all walks of life! A story put together in only a way Turtledove can and made so real it could almost be an historical account! A must read for any alt hist or WWII buff!
Jeffrey Schmieder
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An alternate history: what if the Japanese had taken the Hawaiian Islands. Diverse band of characters from the Japanese to natives to American servicemen. Very effective in bringing the war back home and showing how brutal the Japanese were to subject citizens. Enjoyable and some good analysis on how the US won the war.
Karl
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. "What if Japan followed up the attack on Pear Harbor with a full scale invasion of Hawaii?" That's answered here with the precision of detail that the author is noted for. Like all Turtledove's books, it's not difficult to make comparisons (many times direct comparisons) to real-History facts and occurances...like Japanese P.O.W. camps and how they treated occupied territories.
James
I have loved the other Turtledove's that I've read but, while this book still has the wealth of detail and verisimilitude that I've come to expect, I found no magic in it. Personally, then, I was disappointed with the book. That won't stop me from reading volume two, only from expecting as much from it.
Lizzy
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
repetitive
open-ended
many character perspectives

interesting to read a book in which the united states loses. naturally didn't pay much attention to getting to know the japanese characters and felt uncomfortable while reading.
S
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that like history
harry turtledove's books are always interesting. he takes an event in history and then changes the outcome. this particular book was about the day japan attacked pearl harbor...and actually took over hawaii. this is part 1
Kharpo7
Harry Turtledove runs hot and cold with me. Some of his books are ABSOLUTELY brilliant! (Ruled Britania) and some are just idiotic. (Guns of the south, Southerners travel back in time with AK47's to change the civil war outcome. Cmon!) Turtledove should have been beaten for that one.
Justin
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on if Japan invaded and conquered Hawaii after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Very good but not great book, non-memorable characters and easy to predict what is going to happen, but enjoy the concept...
John
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, a good story of what could have been. This book has more of a mix of real people & fictional characters than the other Turtledove books that I have read. Still, putting these real people into a what if world makes that part of the story more interesting to me.
Robert
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very well written alternate history of Pearl Harbor (why if the Japanese had sent the third wave of bombers and occupied Hawaii). Full of bad things happening to good people and obviously wanting you to buy the next book to see the bad guys get theirs. I will not.
Brentman99
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: once
Recommended to Brentman99 by: Those who love alternative history.
Turtledove does a great job of taking an historical event and turning it on its side. This time, the US lose Hawaii to a Japanese invasion. I love the way he uses historical figures to make alternative history plots. A very enjoyable book.
Paul
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry Turtledove is one of my favorite authors. Very few people can take actual history and show what it may have been if a single thing went differently. This story is an excellent story about WWII. If you get a chance to read this or his other novels, I strongly recommend it.
  • 1945
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • The Two Georges
  • Never Sound Retreat (Lost Regiment #6)
  • 1812: The Rivers of War (Trail of Glory, #1)
  • 1945
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • Rising Sun Victorious: An Alternate History of the Pacific War
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...

Days of Infamy (2 books)
  • End of the Beginning (Days of Infamy, #2)