Start by marking “Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)” as Want to Read:
Last To Die

James Grippando

Last To Die

(Jack Swyteck #3)

As a favor to his best friend Theo, Miami lawyer Jack Swytek reluctantly agrees to represent Tatum Knight, Theo's brother. Tatum is a thug-a hit man who claims he's gone straight. Tatum tells Jack that a woman named Sally Fenning hired him to kill her but he swears he refused the job. Now Sally is dead and she's named Tatum in her will, along with five other people, all of ...more
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published August 1st 2003 by Blackstone Publishing (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Last To Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last To Die

Start your review of Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)
Lynn Tieman
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good thriller. Had me guessing until the last.
Val
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised by how much more I liked this book than I liked the first one: The Pardon. The issue of child slavery in the chocolate industry was worked into the story, which was interesting and heartbreaking at the same time. On to the next book!
Branka Vujanic
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great one... love his style of writing, it's quite easy to read and the plot just keeps you on the edge till the very end. Was kind of disappointed to find out that there are only 3 of his books released in Serbia. Bummer.
William
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Audio: the ingredients of a good mystery were there, however, the craft of writing a good story were not.
Karen West
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Grippando novel and I've found a new author that I am loving. This one is based on the premise that a young woman dies and 6 people are named as heirs to her $46 million estate. The catch is that only the last living heir will inherit. Let the games begin!
Jeff Dickison
This story got off to a very good start, but when I got into the book it frittered away to almost nothingess. By the time I finished I was just glad the book was done. Not really recommended except to diehard Grippando fans.
Jenna
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the discussion in my book group of the first book in the series, I decided to do a few more of the Swyteck books.
Unfortunately, b/c of the availability of the audio thru my library, I’m doing this series out of order.

I like the Jack Swyteck character. I like his best friend Theo as well. (and now I’ll have to go back & read the one in which he was introduced)
And this was an unabridged audio as opposed to some of the others.

I liked how this one was part investigation & part court room
Scott Parsons
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
An earlier Jack Swyteck novel, Last To Die has an interesting premise. Having lost her daughter to an intruder some years before Sally Fenning has remarried and then divorced a wealthy French businessman who, among other things, is involved in the cocoa business in the Ivory Coast using child slave labour to enhance his profits. After only 18 months married to him, Sally gets a sizeable divorce settlement which has now grown to $46 million. For reasons which don't become clear until late in the ...more
Catrinka
I began reading Grippando's Jack Swyteck series with book #12, Gone Again, which I liked quite a bit and prompted me to read more of the series. Unfortunately, I didn't find the writing in this book, Last To Die, nearly as good.

The story got off to a fairly rousing start with a horrific murder in the prologue and there was a good bit of action throughout. But, it felt like the author was just throwing everything he could think of action-wise into the book, which made the story seem disjointed fr
L
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love it when the authors of "murder & mayhen" mysteries include some social issues--it reduces my guilt for reading and thoroughly enjoying my "trashy novels." In this case, Grippando brings in child slavery in the chocolate industry and mentions the FL tomato pickers. Without overdoing it for those who just want a quick read, Grippando gives a solid view of life and hardship among some of Africa's most disadvantaged.

Of course, there is the matter of the novel itself. Grippando has written ano
Jenn
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jack. He's a pretty good lawyer. He knows how and when to bend the rules. He has ex-con friends and people who surround him and love him. I have to admit that I didn't figure this one out. I had no idea why Sally left all her millions for six people to fight over. And six people who were somewhat on the revolting end of the people spectrum. Highly enjoyable thriller with a number of twists I loved.
Nicky
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a bit slower than the first two I read. But they have been consistently unpredictable. I admit to being surprised a lot of the time. I still don't love the characters. Jack isn't exactly a catch. And he seems to attract the craziest of women. The women in these books, or the way they are portrayed, is a problem. But the plot has plenty of twists and turns that keeps you guessing until the end.
Cindy
Oct 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting plot & people & info on child slavery. The Lane character reminded me of my U.S. Marine Corps dad when narrator described his using the "F" bomb as a noun, adjective, adverb, etc. though none of the tirade was narrated beyond that description. No sex, some cussing. I've read this author before & will again. ...more
Claudia
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carl Hiaasen, James W. Hall, Edna Buchanan and James Grippando are top notch authors of suspense novels set in Miami. This one has an implausible premise but delivers as usual. Jack and his best pal Theo always get into compelling scrapes.
Carol
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good legal thriller with twists along the way, and this was it!
John Marsh
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joan
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peggy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audiobook. This is my first Jack Swyteck book. Jack is a Miami criminal lawyer. His best friend is Theo Knight, who he saved from death row. In this book Theo asks Jack to help is brother Tatum. It seems Tatum, a self admitted hit man, was approached with a most unusual request. Rich but miserable Sally Fenning wants to hire Tatum to kill her - suicide by hit man. When Sally is murdered a couple of weeks later, Tatum swears he had turned down the job. But when Tatum is named a ...more
Wendy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The characters were well developed and the plot kept moving. Lawyer Jack is talked into representing thug Tatum, a former hit man, is a case where the murdered woman tried to hire Tatum to kill her AND named Tatum as one of 6 people set to inherit $46 million from her estate. All six are people she despised for various reasons, and her will stipulates that the last survivor gets the full amount - no splitting. People can opt out of consideration or stay in and hop ...more
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Grippando's Jack Swyteck series. Jack is a Florida attorney that always has his sidekick Theo in tow (who he got off from death row and quickly became best buds). In Last To Die, Jack is ask by Theo to represent his brother Tatum, when Tatum is named in a wealthy woman's will. This book has action, mystery, a little romance, and is packed with twists as the reader wonders why wealthy Sally Fenning named 6 beneficiaries in her will and the last one standing would get $46 million.

T
Barbara Schultz
Only my second Jack Swyteck, Jacks reminds me of one of my favorite Harlan Coben character Myron Bolitar.
I hate profanity and although this cast of misfits using foul language seems “in character” ~ I still hate it and ugh too many f-bombs were dropped. ~ noun, verb, adverb, adjective etc
Anyway, these 6 misfits are in line to inherit 46 million however only the “last to die” get the loot. Needless to say, this is a recipe for trouble!
There were more twists and turns than I expected. (view spoi
Frederick Tan
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, law
This time around Jack Swyteck is representing an alleged reform hitman Tatum who also happens to be the brother of his BFF Theo. He was contracted by Sally Fenning to kill her in what is a bluffing exercise. However, when she was found dead from an appearance car jacking incident, her will was equally bluffing. In it she inherited her entire 46 millions fortune to six individuals who has in one way or another was involved in the death of her daughter. But the will has a sting in it. Only the las ...more
Alexia Guajardo
The premise and general story was really interesting. I was actually invested in the characters though a lot of flaws tend to pile up. The love triangle, for example, felt unnecessary. Hell, Jack having a love interest at all felt unnecessary. The writing was aslo very simplistic and easy to follow, which whether or not that’s a bad thing really depends on the reader. I personally wasn’t bothered by it and actually felt it fit well with the witty dialogue. It’s a decent story that could have use ...more
Holly Gravel
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A- I liked the Jack Swytek lawyer character. He got Theo out of death row 10 yrs ago and Theo became his right hand man. Now his thuggish brother was hired by a rich woman with a sorry history, to kill her. Then he and others were heirs to her 46 million dollar estate which was going to go to the "last to die." Some of the heirs die/are killed and in the end it's her ex husband and Theo's brother, a paid killer, who were in cahoots. Theo killed his brother.
Steve Kusheloff
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique premise, written with authority

Basically it’s a story about a will that leaves a lot of money to a lot of people. From there the story takes some unique twists and turns. Like the old cliche, it will leave you guessing until the end. James Grippando is an attorney who became an author. His knowledgeable authority on the law is evident throughout. This was the first of his books I read, and I will definitely try another.
Linda
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Six people are in line to inherit forty eight million dollars, at least the last one living will inherit it all. This is the premise of the third Jack Swyteck book, and I am glad I didn't give up after reading the second book in this series. This time Jack is representing one of the heirs, an unsavory character, but the brother of Jack's friend, Theo. The story was clever and held my attention to the very end.
Crystal Brooke
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. Something I normally wouldn’t have read. But I got it for my mystery book club. Very interesting. A lot of characters and chaos. Had your mind ping ponging around on who did it and why. It made for a very good discussion and everyone seemed to enjoy it. There was just a couple loose ends. I hope to read the rest of the books in the series. That’s another thing I liked. You didn’t have to start with book 1. This was actually book 3 in the Series.
Jennifer Brown
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-shawn
Enjoyable story that has you everywhere! I couldn't decide who killed Sally (or who I wanted to have killed Sally). I like Theo's character and am glad we got some more of him. I was kind of surprised at the ending. I didn't think the author would go that route but I guess there's always a bad seed. Looking forward to reading more in this series!
Grace
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cindy
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack Swyteck and somehow missed this one. So glad I figured that out bc this was a very enjoyable read. It had lots of twists and lots of death along with a few big surprises. It worked well and my next mission is to make sure this is the only one I’ve missed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Then She Vanished (Roland Ford #4)
  • Muzzled (Andy Carpenter #21)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • House on Fire
  • Guilty Minds (Nick Heller, #3)
  • Cut and Run (Lucy Kincaid #16)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Vanished (Nick Heller, #1)
  • Swift Vengeance (Roland Ford #2)
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
  • The Last Good Guy (Roland Ford #3)
  • Death Qualified (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool's Paradise (A Jesse Stone Novel Book 19)
  • Salt River (Doc Ford Mystery #26)
  • Black Flag (Jake Keller #3)
  • Betrayal (Dismas Hardy, #12)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the winner of the Harper Lee Prize for legal fiction and a New York Times bestselling author of 28 novels of suspense, including the popular series featuring M ...more

Jack Swyteck (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)
  • When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • Born to Run (Jack Swyteck, #8)
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck, #10)
  • Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck, #11)