Start by marking “The Boy from the Dragon Palace” as Want to Read:
The Boy from the Dragon Palace

The Boy from the Dragon Palace

One day, a poor flower seller drops his leftover flowers into the sea as a gift for the Dragon King. What does he get in return? A little snot-nosed boy—with the power to grant wishes! Soon the flower seller is rich, but what will happen if he forgets the meaning of "thank you?"
Published September 1st 2011 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about The Boy from the Dragon Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy from the Dragon Palace

Start your review of The Boy from the Dragon Palace
Sasha
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who knew snotty children could make your dreams come true?
Lara
I like the illustrations to this story best. They are bright and colorful and remind me of several animated stories I've seen over the years. And thankfully, for as large a role as the snotty, sniffly nose plays in this story, there isn't really any snot in the pictures. Big relief for me! I much prefer cute or beautiful or silly illustrations to "cartoon gross" illustrations.

Actually based on a real folk tale, one I hadn't heard before! And if you've read any of my other reviews, you know I'm a
Samantha Garcia
This story is an ancient folk tale from Japanese culture. The boy from the dragon place is a boy who grants all your wishes but in return, you must cook him shrimp every day. The shrimp must have vinegar and sugar. Did I mention he was a snotty-nosed boy? It doesn't seem to bad, just cook him the special shrimp, and get whatever your hearts desire in return? One day the snotty nosed boy did not get his shrimp, because the poor flower seller was tired of cooking it for him, and tired of hearing ...more
Ely Navarro
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephanie Crowther
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A Japanese folktale about a poor flower seller who is granted wishes from the dragon king. All he has to do is care for a snotty-nosed kid by making him shrimp everyday. Unfortunately, the man isn’t grateful and that’s a problem. Great book with a positive message about gratitude! Fun illustrations too!
Ellis Lewkowicz
I really liked how color and artistic the illustrations were in this book. I could look at them all day. One thing that I learned from in this book is the more lesson of simply the need to say thank you. I think it highly important for kids to understand when something is rewarded or given to you, it is important to say thank you.
Angie
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The best thing about this book are the vibrant illustrations. I know there is a moral lesson or two about gratitude and contentedness, but the whole snotty nosed child and the need to either read or make nose blowing sounds is just... not my style. And I like silly books!
Megan Gallagher
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Title: The Boy from the Dragon Palace
Author: Margaret Read MacDonald
Illustrator (if separate from author): Sachiko Yoshikawa
Genre: Non-European
Theme(s): Magic, Imagination, Greed, Luck, Poverty, Manners, Giving, Wealth
Opening line/sentence: A poor flower seller found no one to buy his flowers.
Brief Book Summary: A poor flower seller is gifted by the Dragon King a little snot nosed boy who is supposed to bring him luck. The flower seller soon discovered after the little boy eats he sneezes out
Kest Schwartzman
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seldom do unexpected children pay their rent so promptly
Mallory Vickers
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
I read this book in class. I really liked the cultural diversity that was shown and the moral of the story. It talked about being greedy and how you shouldn't take advantage. I would recommend this book to older grade levels that could understand the story line better.
Zahava Davis
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal reaction: I thought this book was very cute! The illustrations are absolutely fantastic. The story is basically about a boy who can make gold coins rain from the sky and all of your wildest wishes come true by blowing his nose. Naturally he grants a wish to a flower shop owner who lets his greediness get the best of him resulting in a lesson being learned. This book is great because it teaches a lesson through humor that any child K-3rd grade will comprehend and enjoy. The only downfall ...more
Lisa Hartmann
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Boy From the Dragon Palace is a great folklore. It is about a boy that comes from the dragon palace in the sea. A poor flower seller comes to the sea and to his surprise a boy is offered to him. In exchange for caring for him the boy grants his wishes. The poor man becomes greedy and ungrateful of what he has been given and doesn't want to care for the boy anymore.In the end he decides to return him to the sea.After he returns him the man becomes poor again. I really like the pictures in ...more
Maria Celis
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etec545class3
Folktale
MacDonald, Margaret R. The Boy From Dragon Palace (2011). A poor flower seller receives a gift from the Dragon King which changes his life, if only for a moment. This Japanese folktale is a cumulative tale about gratitude and is retold through a comical relationship between a man and a child who happens to grant wishes by sneezing. Illustrator, Sachiko Yoshikawa illustrates using vibrant colorful designs and patterns that emphasizes the fantastical events of a rags-to-riches-to-rags
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A retold Japanese story. A poor flower seller is given a gift from the Dragon King -- a snot-nosed boy. Every night, he makes the boy a meal of shrimp. When the boy blows his nose, he bestows the man with gold, a wonderful home, and other riches. Just as you would expect, the flower seller becomes greedy and forgets to appreciate the snot-nosed boy. When the flower seller kicks the boy out, all of his wealth and riches disappear.

I really enjoyed the illustrations in this story. The snot and
Kristine Hall
Didn't realize it until after I read the book, but there really is a Japanese folktale about the Snot-Nosed Boy! This storybook is a much pared-down version, and the snot-nose is played up significantly more than in the folklore, which will make it all the more appealing to kids. The story is one of greed and the consequences of it and forgetting kindness.

The pictures are quite colorful and vibrant, though interestingly enough, the snot that is such a predominant part of the story is not ever
Jamie Davis
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The Boy from the Dragon Palace" is a fun read aloud in the library. The illustrations and bright and engaging. It is the tale of a man who gives a gift to the Dragon King who lives below the sea and in turn is given a young boy. The boy happens to have "the snottiest nose you ever did see!" The boy has the ability to grant wishes when he blows his nose. As in most folk tales with wishes, everything is not as wonderful as you would wish.

Good to use with a class to discuss the theme of a story
Deborah
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
"One day, a poor flower sellers drops his leftover flowers into the sea as a gift for the Dragon King. What does he get in return? A little snot-nosed boy--with the power to grant wishes Soon the flower seller is rich, but when he forgets the meaning of "thank you," he loses everything once again. "You just can't help some humans," say the snot-nosed little boy and the Dragon King."

A nice story of gratitude.

Elementary school
Books4m
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This picture book contains well illustrated watercolor and graphic deigned collage that beautifully supports the folktale. When a poor merchant makes an offer to the dragon god he is given a snot nose boy who grants his wishes in return. However when the merchant grows greedy and resents the boy he loses everything for not remembering to be thankful. An excellent resource for teaching manners and learning the folktales of other cultures
Julie Esanu
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A poor flower seller receives an interesting gift from the Dragon King--a snotty-nosed little boy who is able to grant his every wish. After fulfilling his dreams, the flower seller no longer has use for the boy and throws him out of his palace, thus throwing away all the gifts bestowed on him. This book is useful for teaching folk tales to primary grades as the sound effects engage children and encourage them to participate in the reading of the book.
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
My 6 year-old son and I read this book together as part of the Reading Together Family Exploration Book Club magic theme. It's a strange but fun folk tale about a greedy man and a magical boy. Christopher guessed the ending right away, but we had fun discussing what we'd ask for with the boy's power.

Gwen the Librarian
A magical boy who makes gold appear after blowing his snotty nose on his sleeve? What could be better?! This adaptation of a Japanese folk tale is nice and quick, perfect for reading with little ones, but might leave older readers seeking a bit more.
Katie Florida
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A snot-nosed boy who grants wishes? Stop. To funny. Great lesson about gratitude.
Karen
Classic folk tale of greed and its comeuppance, simply and nicely told with good details (the little boy's bubbly nose for instance). Colorful pictures loaded with Japanese atmosphere.
Karen Maurer
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Know a snot or booger obsessed kid? This is the book for her - or him.
Linda Atkinson
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Be especially kind to those snot-nosed boys;-)
Edward Sullivan
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
The boy with the golden snot. Very entertaining!
Laura Mack
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
MRM always adapts stories that are great for group sharing. Hits the spot with the thankless man!
Tami Holihan
Mar 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Couldn't even finish this book. It seemed ridiculous that richess came from the "snot-nosed-boy's" snot. I think the authors were trying to be funny, but they missed the mark.
Danielle Desmarais
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
-Fun fantasy story.
-Great illustrations.
-Quirky twists in the story that would keep children interested.
-Fun for both boys and girls.

-2nd grade reading level
Bear
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is Snot! ...and that's a compliment, believe me.

• Don't Paint the Cat: Can there really be too much of a good thing?
  • The Do-Over Day: a children's book about surviving the worst day ever
  • Where Would Santa Go?
  • It's not easy being Santa!: A Christmas tale about kindness!
  • If Beaver Had a Fever
  • Too Shy for Show-And-Tell
  • The Messy One
  • The Berenstain Bears And The Mansion Mystery
  • The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need (First Time Books)
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Trouble with Secrets
  • Naughty Ninja Takes a Bath
  • Cow Can't Sleep
  • The Berenstain Bears: When I Grow Up

Biography
Dr. Margaret Read MacDonald travels the world telling stories....always on the lookout for more great folktales to share. She shapes these found stories into tellable tales which anyone can share with ease. Filling her folktale collections with these delightful tales, she creates perfect read alouds for you and your family. MRM wants everyone to experience the joy of a beautifully