Start by marking “Las brujas” as Want to Read:
Las brujas

Las brujas

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  270,444 ratings  ·  6,293 reviews
En Las brujas, un niño y su abuela se enfrentan a la terrible Asociación de Brujas de Inglaterra mientras estas, bajo la apariencia de mujeres corientes, celebran su convención anual en un hotel.
Published March 1985 by Santillana (first published October 27th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Las brujas, please sign up.
Akshat Roxx the existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been…morethe existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been made....it is for you to decide wheteher they exist as they are perfectly hidden in the society....they may be anywhere....they might be ur neighbour or EVEN A MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE GOODREADS......who knows!!(less)
Conor Nally It's completely fictional and it's a fantasy story.

·  270,444 ratings  ·  6,293 reviews

Jessica
May 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Warning: Extremely Long Review and Childhood Storytelling

When I was ten or eleven, I was sitting in the playground at summer camp, minding my own business and reading this book, when one of the playground supervisers came and asked me what I was reading. When I showed it to him, his eyes got wide and he took the book from me. Then he went to the trash can and started ripping it up, page by page. And he washed his hands afterwards, "to get rid of the filth." It was a library book. He was just goi
Starjustin
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect when I started this book. Believe it or not, this is the very first Roald Dahl book that I have experienced. I enjoyed this book tremendously. This chapter book tells a story of a grandma, a grandson, and their journey together is ridding the world of 'real' witches and saving the world's children. I will be reading more of this author for sure. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a fun read and well worth the experience!
Wendy Darling
Re-read for our classics discussion Friday 10/30! Still had me giggling from the very first chapter.
James
Roald Dahl is in my top 3 of favorite children's authors. I had read a few of his books as a child, but most of my exposure occurred as a young adult and while in college.

The Witches was actually a book I read after the movie with Anjelica Huston was produced. I am a huge fan of her work, and when she appeared in this movie, I was fascinated with the story. I'd definitely recommend reading the book first as the movie takes the story so much further.

For one thing, the book has an unnamed narrator
Claudia Ramírez
Más como un 3.5 :).

El libro me pareció bonito. Es el primer libro de Roald Dahl que escucho sin haber visto antes la película, así que ahora sí que no tenía idea de qué iba a pasar o de cómo se iban a solucionar las cosas. Estuvo sobre todo MUY gracioso, y creo que tuvo que ver con las voces que hacía la narradora. Cuando escucho audiolibros, todo suele ser muy neutro en cuanto al tono de voz, pero esta mujer sí se divertía exagerando las voces, especialmente las de las brujas, supongo que porqu
Miranda Reads
I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.
After the tragic loss of his parents, a young boy goes to live with his much beloved grandmother. He soon learns of the impossible - witches exist. And they're sole joy in life is to find ways to make children disappear. Preferably in nasty and mysterious ways.

We soon discovers how to recognize a wit
Lola
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, witches
The clever and courageous tale of a young boy and his spirited grandmother who fight witches together.
Lisa
"Down vith children! Do them in!
Boil their bones and fry their skin!
Bish them, sqvish them, bash them, mash them!
Brrreak them, shake them, slash them, smash them!
Offer chocs vith magic powder!"

Oh, thank goodness for the likes of Roald Dahl, who can combine the scary with the funny stuff and open a treasure chest of children's fairy-tales with all the wisdom humanity is capable of (which, of course, still is quite limited).

As a child, I was terrified and fascinated at the same time when I read t
Joe Valdez
My introduction to the fiction of Roald Dahl is The Witches and this is one of those books whose language and imagination are so exotic that I wanted to scribble down every paragraph, until the story pulled me in and I surrendered to its spell. Published in 1983 with illustrations by Quentin Blake, I was presented a 30th anniversary edition for Christmas--by a dear friend on Goodreads--which includes Blake's etchings. Without the mischievous charcoal drawings to accompany it, Dahl's text alone w ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Witches, Roald Dahl
The Witches is a children's fantasy novel by the British writer Roald Dahl. It was originally published in 1983. The story is set partly in Norway and partly in the United Kingdom, and features the experiences of a young British boy and his Norwegian grandmother in a world where child-hating societies of witches secretly exist in every country. The witches are all ruled by the extremely vicious and powerful Grand High Witch, who in the story has just arrived in England to
Mariah Roze
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently trying to read all of Roald Dahl's books! When reading this book I realized that I definitely read this when I was in elementary school :) It brought back some memories. I loved this book and the creativity and that Roald does with this story line.
carol.
Things that are cool:

-a cigar-smoking grandma who encourages you to take safe action

-investigating

-solving problems

-witches with accents

Things that are creepy:

-Having to stay a mouse the rest of your life

-Feet without toes

-Pet mice that go missing and are never found

-A boy who is never reunited by his family, or even mouse-trapped

-Talking about dying while in bed with your grandmother

Roald Dahl never worked for me as a kid. I distinctly remember picking up James and the Giant Peach and being si
Michael
I was a very sheltered child.

Or was I a wuss? I was probably a wuss.

For instance, when I was a little tot, Sammy Terry scared the shit out of me. I remember being frightened by commercials of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the one time I inadvertently saw part of a Friday the 13th movie on TV? Fogettaboutit. Nightmares for weeks.

But that all came later.

But this book. Oh, this was traumatic shit.

I was in preschool, probably 4 years old, when the teacher decided to read us The Witche
Michael Finocchiaro
The story of the young unnamed narrator and his grandmother living between Norway and England and affronting the Great Witch and her minions was delightful and fun. It would not be in my Top 5 of Dahl though (I appreciated the two Charlie books, the BFG, the Magic Finger and James and the Giant Peach more.) I love reading them to my kids in any case and getting all excited on what crazy twists the stories will take.
Julie
My daughters and I had just wrapped up the audiobook of The Witches with Miranda Richardson yesterday, having listened to it all week in the car, and we were still blissed out on those wonderful, awful witches. . . .

. . . when this idiot playground dad got in my way.

So, the story goes like this. . . I'm an animated woman. I love stories, both listening to them and telling them, and I love a good joke, too. And I found myself, yesterday, engaged in conversation with a playground dad's mother, her
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers
Recommended to Mariel by: greedy kid me
I've noticed for years and years that critics love to say that Roald Dahl is "spinning in his grave" over some such filmic adaptation of his works. I'm a curious type person so I had to look up what the hell was in his grave, anyway. He was buried with pool cues, his typewriter and pencils (backup?). Guess he'd need to hustle his way past the pearly gates? I'm kidding! Don't dance on my grave. (Gosh, real critics are so harsh.) If he's spinning I guess there's plenty in there to make lots of rac ...more
Ammara Abid
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is one of the best and my favorite children's writer.
He's a master in depicting ordinary details in excellent manner.
Uptill now, I didn't find anything written by him which I don't love. ♡
Matt
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
What is a witch? After my last book, all about the Salem Witch Trials, I have a pretty good idea about what the Puritans thought. However, it would serve me well to allow Roald Dahl to present an answer to that for his childhood readers. According to Dahl, a witch has claw-like fingers (always gloved), remains bald (but wears a wig), and has squared feet (no toes and a horror when shopping for shoes!). But, the most important piece of knowledge about witches is that they DESPISE children more th ...more
Shirley Revill
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fiction, fantasy
One of my daughter's favourite books and I still have it today. Storytelling at it's best.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The witches of England have a plan to do away with ALL English children. This little Norwegian orphan boy and his grandmamma come up with a plan to do away with all English witches instead. When they've accomplished that task, the little boy is noticeably altered in size and appearance. He doesn't mind, though. He sets off cheerfully with his grandmamma on a grand tour to rid the entire WORLD of those evil witchy creatures.

I've always known there were real witches in the world, because Mrs. Nai
sarafem
I would love to know why I am the only person on the planet who did not like this book. I tried to find some bad reviews on GoodReads, but the only one and two star reviews said things like "Bad no like mousey! dlksk djglsk diewqls!" I'm assuming they were in a foreign language and not written by a kid who could not type, but I was too lazy to click on the profiles. Maybe I should learn the language and go live there, where we can all unite in our hatred of this book.

It seems to me that 90% of t
Flor
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia de fantasía para chicos y no tan chicos, sobre las aventuras de una abuela muy peculiar y su nieto, para desbaratar a la Sociedad Secreta de las Brujas.

Las brujas, que odian a los niños y quieren librarse de ellos, están por todos lados, y van disfrazadas de mujeres comunes y corrientes, pero tienen ciertas características con las que pueden ser identificadas:
🎃 llevan guantes para esconder sus garras,
🎃 son calvas y usan peluca,
🎃 tienen un olfato muy desarrollado,
🎃 su saliva es
Richard Cardenas
This was my first Dahl read ever and I LOVED it. The movie is one of my favorites so when I found it was a book years ago I wanted to read it and haven't gotten the chance until now. I think this is one of the good ones that has been adapted to film almost perfectly as well. I read this on audiobook too, narrated by the amazing Miranda Richardson and that made it 10x better. I can't wait to read more of Dahl.
Fran
The Witches is a surprising book. The story is deceptively simple but many great ideas are buried in between the lines that tell it, make it a rich read leading to many buried treasures that shine in the light of the new understanding they bring.

It all start when a seven year old boy whose name we never learn (isn't it that clever?) loses his parents in an car accident, and goes to live with his grandmother in Norway. Grandma is a master storyteller, who tells the boy about witches with claws in
Annet
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, kids
Gorgeous, cute book and the illustrations of Quentin Blake are just too cute as well. I've seen the movie of course several times and hey, the movie has a different ending, that is a surprise! Roald Dahl, a great, entertaining writer...! I really need to start reading the 'grown-up' books soon :-)
Manny
Headlands Hotel

For people who don't already know: the hotel used in the movie actually exists. It's The Headlands Hotel, Newquay, England, and I've eaten there several times.

The staff are friendly and well aware of the relevant history. If you ask, they'll show you the room where the witches had their big meeting and the spot where the baby carriage nearly gets pushed off the cliff. The food is good, and you get a fantastic view over the bay, where people surf in summer. Recommended!
Repellent Boy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
En serio, que gran maravilla fue la mente de Roald Dahl. Es increíble que consiga crear historias tan originales. Porque siempre son muy originales. Las brujas se ha convertido en uno de mis libros favoritos infantiles. Por muchas razones.

Me encanta los valores que muestra el libro. Sobre todo la idea principal: no juzgar por el exterior, que este puede ser precioso, pero esconder algo muy horrible. Además es sumamente divertido y no paran de ocurrir cosas. Solo lamento no haber leído este libr
Elena
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi, 2018
3,5*
No tuve el placer de leer los libros de Roald Dahl de niña, ¡pero nunca es tarde!
Tengo que reconocer que de haber leído este libro de pequeña probablemente me habría vuelto un poco paranoica buscando brujas por todas partes...!
Me habría gustado que ciertos puntos sobre el aspecto físico real y "deformaciones" de las brujas no se hubieran tratado como rasgos horrorosos y específicamente relacionados con su maldad (calvície, no tener dedos de los pies).
Dejando esta crítica de lado, la histori
Leon Enciso
Reto 33- 2018 Book Challenge: Un clásico infantil que nunca has leído.

Sigues siendo tú mismo en todo menos en el aspecto. Sigues teniendo tu propia mente, tu propio cerebro y tu propia voz, gracias a Dios.

Igual de tierno y creepy que la película. XD Ame a el protagonista y a su abuela. ^_^
juan carlos
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
¿Para que leer las brujas?

1. Te muestra a esos villanos malvados sin corazón y a su vez divertidos. Además que la radiografía de la bruja es muy bien establecido.
2. La narrativa es adictiva y atrapante que jamás cae, sube sube hasta llegar a un buen desenlace.
3. El apoderamiento de la trama y el lector es único, ya que los protagonistas no tienen nombre así que puedes tú vivir la trama.
4. El final es muy diferente al de la película
5. El mensaje que te da la novela es hermoso: No importa el físic
Il salotto dei le...: Lettura gennaio 2019: Le Streghe - Commenti e discussione 1 24 Jan 22, 2019 05:32AM
Books that scared you 1 1 Oct 27, 2018 04:36AM
Books that scared you 1 2 Oct 27, 2018 04:36AM
whats the name of that book?! 1 2 Sep 11, 2018 07:07AM
Too scary for kids? 75 405 Jul 08, 2018 11:00AM
Around the Year i...: The Witches, by Roald Dahl 1 8 Jan 27, 2018 04:46PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • De FauTeNKaMPioeNe
  • Hasse Simonsdochter
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters

“It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” 1594 likes
“She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.

I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But—here comes the big "but"—not impossible.”
204 likes