Start by marking “Hailey's War” as Want to Read:
Hailey's War

Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Hailey Cain has a history of testing the limits of her fate: as a fearless bike messenger on the twisted, competitive streets of San Francisco; as a young female cadet in a sea of men at West Point. But Hailey also has secrets—the biggest of which led her to leave the academy just two months short of graduation, two months away from becoming a lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

N
Audio CD
Published June 7th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hailey's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hailey's War

Tara Chevrestt
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, arc, 2010-release
***A PLEADING NOTE. PLEASE BRING THIS SERIES BACK!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING TWO YEARS FOR BOOK THREE!!!!!***

The word adrenaline is what comes to mind as I try to find a way to describe this story. This book is like a sleek, sexy, ten cyclinder sports car going 180 mph in a world full of four door, four cylinder Ford Escorts going 45.

Hailey is 24, has failed or dropped out of West Point, and is living paycheck to paycheck as a bike messenger in San Fran. She's got this friend tho, Serena, a hard as
Caitlin
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book caught me completely by surprise. I expected it to be more young adult than adult and for some reason I really didn't expect it to be such a great thriller.

Hailey's War is complusively readable (as in I dare you to put it down). Smart, engaging, elegantly plotted, this is a thriller with a difference - interesting and competent female characters run the show here - and what a show it is.

Ms. Compton has carefully created characters who feel real, but who also have plausible reasons for
Renee
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an unexpectedly compelling thriller. And just when you think it's all wrapped up or that there are some loose ends you're not meant to tie up, there's a final twist. It was a satisfying read. Hailey's War read a little bit like Chevy Steven's Still Missing and Hilary Davidson's two books. There's also a tiny bit of a modern day Kinsey Millhone of Sue Grafton's alphabet series.
Amy Meyer
Release Date: June 2010
Publisher: Crown Publishing
Genre: Mystery; Contemporary Fiction
Rating: 4.0 out of 5

Publisher: Twenty-four-year-old Hailey Cain has dropped out of the US Military Academy for reasons she won't reveal. She has had to leave Los Angeles and it would be too big a risk for her to return. Now working as a bike messenger in San Francisco, Hailey keeps a low profile, until her high school best friend Serena Delgad
Nancy
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book not to be missed this year is Hailey's War by Jodi Compton. Hailey's life has gone deeply south as she doesn't graduate from West Point with her class. She goes West in search of her cousin C.J. who has made it big in hip-hop and would love to give her a place to stay. While driving her beater car one afternoon, a toddler runs out in front of her and is killed. Not her fault but the child is the only son of Lucius Marsellus. A music mogul in his own right and not a person to be messin' wi ...more
William Bentrim
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-swap
Hailey’s War by Jodi Compton

Hailey is a bike courier with a secret. She left West Point under unknown circumstances but what she learned there, keeps her alive through some harrowing circumstances. She truly believes in honor, respect and loyalty.

Hailey is an enigma in this story to both her friends and her enemies. She has a secret that she refuses to share. The author did a great job in maintaining mystery regarding that secret until the final conclusion.

There is artful misdirection in much
Susan Botich
This story was very well-written but it took me a while to get into it. At first, I thought it might not be something I wanted to finish - the main character too foreign from me in her view of the world, the plot too urban L.A., the driving force behind the story too acerbic. But, I was drawn in by Compton's expertise in threading the subtlety of the characters' "faults" with certain virtues and taking the simple who-done-it mystery genre into whole new territory. Excellent writing there.

I would
Cj
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a first-person narrator, Hailey is a smart, spunky, and entertaining raconteur. She knows her own strengths, but is also funny and self-deprecating. To enjoy this book, one must have a great deal of tolerance for gang-slang, since Serena and her male and female compatriots speak a particular lingo that is indigenous to those living "la vida loca" in Los Angeles. Although the adventure on which Hailey embarks is action-packed and engrossing, the characters are thinly drawn and, as the story pr ...more
Tyra
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fast read for me and a nice change from the chick lit I normally read. I had the same basic issues that I do with most suspense/thrillers in that I find the whole plot hard to believe and that the characters all can do what they do in the book. That said, I enjoyed the story and the fact that it was set in CA only added to my enjoyment.

BTW - the Barnes and Nobles synopsis that Goodread shows for this book is NOT for this story. This one is about a kidnapped girl and the gangs in
Kim Galla
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: ARC
ARC from Read-it-Forward.com

After dropping out of West Point four months before graduation, Hailey gets to play soldier while directing a reconnaissance mission between a Latino gang and a Greek organized crime boss. An unexpected ending, something I've never read before. I don't want to use the clichéd “she's facing her inner self,” but I'm glad she finds direction in the end.
  • The Jaguar Prophecies
  • Stardust
  • The End of Marking Time
  • Credo's Hope
  • Agent in Old Lace
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
  • The Man from Saigon
  • The Good Boy
  • Through the Heart
  • Bulletproof Mascara
  • Saint Training
  • Your Presence Is Requested at Suvanto
Jodi Compton, like Hailey Cain, is "Californian in a way a lot of people are Californian; I was born someplace else." Jodi has lived in California since the age of one, except for a brief stint in Minneapolis. In addition to the two Hailey Cain novels, Jodi is the author of two novels about Minneapolis detective Sarah Pribek, The 37th Hour and Sympathy Between Humans. She currently lives outside S ...more
More about Jodi Compton...

Hailey's War (2 books)
  • Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)