Start by marking “Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)

Me and My Dragon

(Me and My Dragon #1)

Dragon lovers will jump at the chance to see what raising a friendly dragon just might look like in this hilarious read aloud about a boy and his pet. While dragons may not be the most traditional of pets, the boy explains how his dragon, Sparky, would be the perfect pet and pal. He details tips for how to pick a dragon, what to do when your dragon misbehaves, and what NOT ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Me and My Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and My Dragon

Matt
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cute little story about a boy and how he would interact with the pet dragon he has always wanted. From feeding him to having the dragon help with errands, things could not be better for the protagonist of the story. Bullies would be a thing of the past and show-and-tell would be brilliant as well. There's nothing that life with a dragon could limit, at least in this story. Neo listened and enjoyed the story so much, eager to hear about others might like to have a dragon. He, too, would surely ...more
Heidi-Marie
That is the most adorable dragon I have ever seen! The typical pet story, and the typical pet-twist story as well. But I like that it was a dragon. And I liked seeing the dragons antics, expressions, and experiences--as well as the boy's. My favorite part: the broccoli. Sorry. Couldn't help it. That was my hardest laugh of the many I had.

Would work for a school-age storytime because of the humor, but I think it could also work in preschool.

A good choice for a Beehive nominee. Kids will love it,
Shannon McGee
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, dragons
Utterly Adorable and funny! This book made me laugh out loud at not only the pictures but the descriptions of how this little boy would love a pet dragon and why. Every time I look at the book I find something sneaky hiding in the back of the illustrations. Like how the blue bird of happiness appears on a uniform and then in the background as the boy teaches his dragon how to fly. The scared dogs that appear in the pet window and obedience school. Just open the book an really look at it in detai ...more
Barb
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Darling book about a boy who imagines getting a pet dragon, taking him to the vet, getting him a collar and leash then taking him to obedience school.

He goes on to imagine all the great things he could do with his dragon, he's the fire-breathing variety who likes Brussels sprouts (how convenient).

A charming story for all ages with the sweetest illustrations and clever little details. My children loved the stuffed knight the dragon carries around like a teddy bear. My son was so proud of himself
Karen
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, I wished I had a dragon just like the one in this book. For one thing, he would have eaten my brussel sprouts. Actually, that alone would have been enough of a reason. The dragon in "Me and My Dragon" is such a friendly dragon that my four year old son thinks he says, "Good morning, little boy. Have a wonderful day". And he probably does; I'm just too old to hear it.

The story is adorable, but what really sets this book apart and made me want to buy it are the fabulous, whimsic
Bridget R. Wilson
One little boy wants a very unusual pet. You might think a dragon would make a horrible pet, but that's not so. With a few adjustments, dragons can be perfect pets.

What I thought: Too fun! Me & My Dragon is another great book to add to my pets story time. In fact, maybe I should have an unusual pets story time. The illustrations are great--so saturated with bright and bold colors. My favorite illustrations are the cover, walking the dragon, brussel sprouts, and dragon reading.

Story Time Them
Heather
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The storyline is clever enough, but it is the pictures that make this book great. They are extremely attractive, but also full of really funny moments along the sidelines and in the background. The end papers are also fabulous and not to be missed. This is a great story for kids interested in dragons or in getting a pet.
Emily
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
You might think that a dog or a cat is the perfect pet, but you would be wrong. The perfect pet is a dragon. Read this funny book about how to find, train, and have fun with a dragon that’s just right for you!
Lacey
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really cute story about a boy wanting a pet dragon. Kierra and hubby enjoyed it tonight before bed. Fun illustrations and a fun story.
Bari
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great choice for any child who has or wants a pet.

Perfect for a story time or one on one.

Recently used in a library story time for children ages 3-5 who loved it.
Marcie
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-humor
I usually like books by Biedrzvki, but this left me flat. David Larochelle's The Best Pet tackled the subject with what I felt was a much better read aloud.
Eleanor W
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are what made us want to get these books...the dragon is SO CUTE! The story line is really good as well. When the whole family says "aw that was cute" when a book is over you have to give it 5 stars.
Holly
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is such a cute book! I love rereading this to my son on a weekly basis, as this is one he often chooses for bed time. He says he wants a Dragon just like the boy in the book. The boy in the story tells why he wants a Dragon for pet and how he would live with it. It's hilarious and engaging.
Pam
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Having a dragon for a pet brings several challenges. This young boy tells the reader how to take care of a dragon - the do's and don't's.
Jennifer Parker
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
good ideas for an imagination of having a dragon for a pet and the fun you can have with them.
Ashley
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Alice may have secretly authored this book. Her dragon obsession knows no bounds.
Villain E
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A boy fantasizes he has a dragon. Reads as a decent example of little-kid-logic. Cute, but nothing special.
Alyssa Tabor
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Will skip for storytime.
Egallagher2016gmail.Com
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like that a monster dressed up as another monster and said, "Hey. He stole my idea." But, it isn't spooky enough.
Lila Lovebug
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mommy read this to Lila.
Erin
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What do you do with your pet? Would you do the same things if your pet was a dragon? Find out in this sweet picture book about sharing your life with a pet dragon. From check-ups to bath time this covers it all.
Steph
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story is adorable and I can't get over how perfect the font choice is! Makes the story very kid-friendly. :-) The dragon is just darling... the last page made this librarian grin!
Erica
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Illustrations and words are perfectly paired in this laugh out loud book for children.
Kelli Overcash
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Me and My Dragon by David Biedrzycki

Short Description of Book: This story is told from the perspective of a young boy and details all the things he would do, and not do, if he had a pet dragon.

FOCUS: Narrative Features I would use in a mini lesson

1. Voice: This story is narrated from the point of view of a young boy. It is important that students understand voice because in this story, voice lends to context and understanding. The story is light and fun hearing it from the perspectiv
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A boy talks us through the adventures he has getting a pet dragon.

The drawings in this book make it a MUST HAVE even if the story itself weren't so adorkable. Most story books have 1 or 2 spreads that are spot on and make a book satisfying... in this book EVERY page was a winner!! Seriously my nephew poured over this book and we were terribly challenged to find just one picture to draw too! Whimsical, fun and full of details...

The s
Jen Volkmer
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Biedrzycki, David. Me and my dragon. Watertown, Mass.: Charlesbridge, 2011. Print.

Me and My Dragon

By David Biedrzycki

I chose this book because my five year old nephew is in love with dragons and would adore having one as a pet.

This book is about a little boy who wants a more unique kind of pet. He doesn’t want a dog, cat, gerbil or fish. He wants a dragon. It is all about how he would care for his dragon and the wonderful things they could do together. It touches on responsibility, bullies, the
Drew
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Review

I thought this book was a very adorable book. It has lot of colorful pictures that hold attention of children. Not only are the pictures colorful they are quite amusing. The picture go great with the story and I could see a beginning reader looking at the pictures to help with understanding words. I like books that have a child imagine something fake, like dragons aren't real! I think this is a good entertainment book for ages like 4-6 beginning readers.

Summary

This boy does not want a dog
Allison
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers, parents, dragon lovers, knights
Recommended to Allison by: My son
This is a sweet, simple take on owning a pet dragon, complete with the "7 Tips for Raising a Dragon." The protagonist doesn't want a dog like other kids, but instead chooses a fire-breathing dragon from the local exotic pets store. Biedrzyski approaches owning a dragon with all the matter-of-factness of owning a dog or a hamster. Water it, feed it, give it someplace warm to sleep. But never, ever bring it kite-flying or feed it broccoli. Broccoli gives dragons gas. Brussel sprouts? Those are ok. ...more
Dolly
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny tale about a very unusual pet. We've read a lot of dragon stories recently, so this was a clever and humorous addition to the mix. The dragon is adorable, especially as a baby. And the various scenes that the boy imagines are hilarious.

We loved the little details in the illustrations, like the '9 essential flammables and minerals' in the Dragon Chow and the fire extinguisher in the boy's room as he reads a bedtime story. We had to laugh that the dragon ate the boy's Brussels spr
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• One Busy Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Say What?
  • Dream Friends
  • Scrawny Cat
In his early years David created stories for his parents and friends. A commercial artist since 1980, his work has appeared in magazines, newspapers, book covers, billboards and even ice cream boxes. The supermarket is like a gallery of his work.

Now he has now returned to his first love of picture book storytelling. He has illustrated close to 30 books including self-authored and award winning Ace

Me and My Dragon (3 books)
  • Me and My Dragon: Scared of Halloween (Me and My Dragon, #2)
  • Me and My Dragon: Christmas Spirit (Me and My Dragon, #3)