Start by marking “The Locker Room” as Want to Read:
The Locker Room

The Locker Room

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  5,354 Ratings  ·  605 Reviews
Xander Karcek has only wanted two things in his life: Christian Edwards and basketball—the man he loves and the game that let him escape a childhood he’d rather forget. His two obsessions have served him well. He and Chris beat the odds and stayed together through high school, college, and right on to the NBA.

But life under fame’s microscope isn’t easy, especially when two
Published April 22nd 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published April 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Locker Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locker Room

Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySKANKY ⚓️ Steamy Reads
4 AWESOME STARS, minus 1 Ripped the F$%k off Star

I had to wait overnight to do this review, just so I wouldn't cuss the blue streak to end all blue streaks.

This is me at the beginning of this book.

About a quarter in.

Halfway.

But at the end?

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

I'm sooooo pissed off.

Amy Lane wrote an awesome story here. Awesome.

I loved Xander and Christian. They were the yin to each others' yang.

The syrup to each others' pancake.

They completed each other (don't judge me).

They went through so ma
julio
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's never been abandoned.
Jesus, Amy Lane is going to kill me.

I can't read any more of her books until I've been through another round of therapy. Beauty and kindness and bravery and loyalty on this scale is too intense for a fragile heart like mine.

Haven't cried this much in years. No more Amy Lane for me.

(view spoiler)
Lauraadriana
TRUE LOVE...THE REAL DEAL, beat the odds, makes you better, gets you through anything, worth the pain, selfless, makes the happy better because we're together, strong, will outlast ALL hate, pain, bigotry, sacrifice, and come out FUCKING SHINING in the end...True.Love.

This book...These men...At 14 years old Xander met Chris on basketball court while he was trying to escape a bit from the horribleness that was his life. An addict mother, hunger, desperation, and Chris he saved him, they played ba
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book is everything a M/M romance should be. Amy Lane seriously raised the bar with this one.

I am usually not a huge fan of sports books. They either veer to the end of too buddy-buddy or they have too much sports info and I get bored. I'm not a sports fan in real life so I don't get anything extra from reading a book about guys in sports falling in love. However, Amy Lane just showed me how amazing this sub-genre can be.

I am completely in awe of this book. This book is epic. We follow Ch
LenaLena
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, omg-wtf-bbq
FIVE SIZZLING, THROBBING, FUCK ME NOW! STARS

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book SO MUCH!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!! I loved this book so much!!!!! Chris is so perfect. I have fallen in love with books. I have fallen in love with authors. But I have never fallen head over heals for a character! Chris! I love you!

I have read this book at least seven hundred times!
I LOVE IT! For all you Xander lovers out there....
you went for the wrong guy!! CHRIS ALL THE WAY!!!!!

The book that started a phenomenon and open
Nick Pageant
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
BR with Alona and Mark.

Well, I'm devastated. I might write more later. Right now I don't want to think about it.
Heather C
After months and months and months of refusing to read this, I finally put on my big-girl-panties and decided to do it. And once I started it I could not stop. It kept me up into the wee hours or the morning. I took a little break for sleep but once I woke up I had to finish it.

Of course, like most of Amy's other books this is all angst, angst, and more angst. I think I may have laughed a handful of times but I guarantee you I cried more times than I laughed! These guys just broke my heart ove
Eva
A beautiful love story that has torn my heart out

Xander and Chris's story was one of the most emotional reads I've experienced in awhile.
"Because it"s you and basketball, Christian. Only one of you can break my heart."

Beautiful

Tender

Passionate

Amazing

This book is epic, very powerful and real. Over 15 years of loving each other and beating the odds. And what love it was. I loved the passion these two men had for each other, the love... unconditional. No hesitation, not for a second, it was t
V
Nov 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Molli B.
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-m-m, 2011-read
I was really looking forward to reading this, given the nearly five-star rating on Amazon; I was thinking if I had come here prior to reading it, I'd have been better prepared for it, but it has over 4.5 stars here, too.

I liked the storyline itself--boys who meet as teenagers, fall in love, stay together through challenging circumstances, and then run into issues when their private lives are in danger of becoming public. It's a really great plot with a ton of potential. I love sports, too, so I
Duchess Nicole
I see Amy Lane's name consistently popping up as a fantastic weaver of deeply emotional stories, and after reading this book, I agree. The cover looks atrocious, but I've learned over time to trust in my friends and not cover artist. So please don't let the cartoonish depiction of Xander and Christian.

The book's blurb says it perfectly:
Sara
So I thought when I was finished with this that I would write this great review but I realize that I can't. I am still numb. Amy Lane fucking kills me, I have said this many times.

I know I have a thing for boys in the closet but this hurt. This was more than being in the closet, this was..good lord. This hurt.

It hurt to know how Xander lived, wait...survived, before he met Christian that night on the court. It hurt to know that the only things this boy loved were Chris and Basketball and that
Bev

***Have just finished the audio book of this, narrated by my favourite Sean Crisden. Well worth a listen. ***

A magnificent story and my favourite Amy Lane, although Sidecar and Beneath the Stain are extremely good too. Plenty of angst, lots of tears from this reader together with a few smiles, but make no mistake, this is an intense and sometimes painful read.

Xander & Chris, sighs. Together since they were 14, all Xander ever wanted was basketball and Chris. Their love and their journey to
Kaje Harper
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I read this book in one fast rush and then immediately turned back to the beginning and started it again. It just really worked for me. This is the story of two basketball players, Xander and Chris, who meet at the age of fourteen and never look at anyone else, never falter in their love for each other despite all the crap that a life in sports can and does hand to them. It's a little overwrought, the characters are polarized. (Xander's mom has no redeeming qualities at all, Chris's parents neve ...more
Kassa
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have mixed feelings about Locker Room. The premise honestly works for me as I adore angst driven men –it’s a weakness of mine- but the ending really disappoints me. I know not all readers will feel the same but I personally feel cheated. The book also tends to exaggerate and the emotions are wild and outrageous, always the depths of despair and the height of happiness. That doesn’t bother me as I like Lane’s writing and the story works regardless but not all readers may appreciate the
.Lili.
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
The Locker Room by Amy Lane
This is the beautiful coming of age story of Xander and Chris. The two met when they were 14 on a basketball court. Xander grew up in the home with an addicted mother who was never there for him. Upon meeting Chris, Xander felt like he was salvation.

I'm at a loss as to what to what write because I feel like if I go beyond this point I'll be spoiling the feeling and emotion of the book and I don't want to do that for any future reader. Instead I will tell you that this
Wade
I do not think I've read a book that has ever wiped me out emotionally like this one has. (I mean, I write it, but rarely read it.) I tip my hat to Amy Lane. To write things like this can be just as exhausting as reading it. Sometimes I think more so because as authors, our characters are with us all the time. They become a part of our lives. In our heads, in our thoughts, with us throughout the day. Today, Chris and Xander were with me WAY after I finished reading the book.

I think this is one o
Heidi
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heidi by: Eva
Shelves: favorites, m-m, amy-lane, sport
Whilst the title might lead you to believe otherwise, it really isn't that heavy on sport. Basketball in this story to me, is a means to an end. Xander wants two things in life:- basketball and Christian.

It is however, a powerful story of boys becoming men. A love between two men that face down hardship, bigotry and other hurdles in their quest to be together. A quest to share a lifetime of enduring love.

5 stars
Monika
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

WOW!! Just WOW!!!

I love this book.....I love these guys! Xander and Chris *sigh* what a beautiful journey Amy Lane took me on. She had me smiling, crying and a lot of times just going awwwww! This was a love story from start to finish that I didn’t want to end. Please I want more!!!

The only negative is the cover, I hate it, it doesn’t do the book justice! I say look past that cover and read Xander and Chris’s story, I will be reading it again and again!!!! *LOL*
Mary
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Xander and Chris share a bond that is so deep that it endures when it is tested by external forces as well as internal ones. The boys are a testament to true love and I will re-read this one again and again. My paperback is on it's way.
Alice
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, m-m
Unfortunately I have forgotten everything about this book and the narrator as I finished it nearly two weeks ago...

Sorry guys!
Grammy 1
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy lane keeps getting better and better!!!!Where do I even begin to review this amazing story? So here is the thing….I was privy to this story during its inception….I was a Beta reader for Amy Lane, receiving Locker Room one chapter at a time…Being able to absorb this story slowly was wonderful.

Xander Karcek was made for greatness….He feels he would not have achieved this, if it wasn’t for his Chris, Christian Edwards. So lets start at the beginning.

At fourteen, and standing at 6 foot one, Xan
Pickles
There are so many things I could say about this book. So many things. I could talk about how much I loved the characters, or how envious I am of Amy Lane’s writing style because she’s so amazing, or how she creates these worlds and families that I just wish I could be part of. But what it boils down to, what my knee-jerk reaction was the moment I read the last line, is this: I fucking loved it. Start to finish, I adored it.

See, I run the whole gamut of emotions when I read something by Amy Lane.
Jewel
No one makes me feel all the feelings quite like Amy Lane and The Locker Room is no exception. I read this book in a single sitting, and wow. Just wow.

The Locker Room takes us from the moment Xander and Chris meet when they're 14, until they are 28 with professional basketball careers. Their journey is full of hope and heartbreak as they try to navigate a course with too many obstacles and too much to lose. Xander only wants two things in his life -- Chris and basketball. And as long as he and C
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
What a fantastic little gem! The book takes place over approximately 15 years and I loved every minute of it. Xander and Chris grip your heart from the first page and don't let go until the very end. We get a great story, loveable characters (for the most part), a nice dose of saucy steam and above all else......lots of heart.

My favorite thing about this book is that you never question the love between Xander and Chris. And it is melt your heart, bone deep love.

My only grievance is a bit of an
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook
I am sorry it took me so long to read this book. I cannot remember the last time I became so emotionally involved with both mc's. The love Xan and Chris share is inspiring. I felt for Xan from the start, and Chris just jumped right in, took his hand and, aside from the struggles they both faced, held on until the end. Xan was unbelievably lucky to have found such a wonderful and giving friend and family.

I felt like I was holding my breath throughout a lot of this book anticipating what would ha
Monique ~ Sinfully
Typical Amy Lane... Nice easy listen!

Audiobook
Deeze
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After putting this one on hold for ages I finally decided now was the time. I knew from friends and reviews that this one was gonna be tough and boy was it. But it was not the ugly faced cry I was expecting.

Xander is a guy you will absolutely adore. From the very beginning he captured my heart, first as the lonely neglected kid then through all the phases of him growing up. Tissues were a permanent addition to my hand, but the tears were almost gentle in a way. Maybe it was the hope that was thr
BJ
Let me just say Amy, If you're reading this, you've truly outdone yourself :D

I thought Xander and Chris were one of the most touching couples i have ever read... I'm not ashamed to say that Xander's story had me on the brink of tears within the first 10 pages and the sincerity of their relationship had me openly weeping by the last chapter. I felt more connected to Xan than nearly any other literary figure I have yet to come across... the raw emotion brought on by the pain of an abusive home and
Elizabetta

Man, you can’t deny that this just grabs your heart and squeezes it to bits… squeezes so hard, and leaves you a mess of tears.

And there’s the conundrum… Because while I did find the The Locker Room engaging, while I really liked Xander and Chris (how could you not), while I really wanted their HEA, it often felt like too much. Like there was a little too much laying on thick of the angst and the hurt and the pain. And a little too long in the telling of it.

But, really, if you want a sweet, heart
So gay men need redeeming? 2 64 Jul 30, 2014 09:07AM
  • American Love Songs
  • Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)
  • Caught Running
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Take My Picture
  • Strawberries for Dessert (Coda Books, #4; Strawberries for Dessert, #1)
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • Dance With Me (Dancing, #1)
  • Steamroller
  • Out in the Field
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Superhero
  • Duty & Devotion  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3)
  • Bareback (Bareback, #1)
  • I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier
  • Nothing Ever Happens
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more
More about Amy Lane...
“....and his head and shoulders were on the bed next to the boy who had captured his heart like cupped hands would capture a butterfly, and had never, ever clutched him too tight and never let him go.” 29 likes
“...if I was going to play this game and love it, it had to love me back.” 19 likes