Start by marking “The Breeds Of Man” as Want to Read:
The Breeds Of Man

The Breeds Of Man

The Mark Twos were a breed apart, similar to other humans in every way but one: a survival adaptation different from any seen before. When it was discovered how remarkable that adaptation was, the implications were staggering...Because in a world where fear and suspicion reigned, where disease limited population growth, and where survival of the human race depended on a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published February 1st 1988 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about The Breeds Of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breeds Of Man

Start your review of The Breeds Of Man
M.R.
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this a long time ago, but was captivated by the ideas about sexuality within it.
Ronke Olabisi
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
If science fiction themes can be distinguished as "science fiction as character" (Star Trek), "science fiction as background" (Star Wars), "science fiction as trigger" (ET), "science fiction as story" (The Matrix), then The Breeds of Man definitely falls into the "science fiction as story" theme. It falls squarely between hard and soft sci-fi. The science isn't as plausible as say, "Deep Impact," but far more believable than say "Starship Troopers."

The story plunges you into a world where the
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a fast-paced tale of a near possible future, The Breeds of Man is not the book for you. But, if you are looking for a story with good character development and an interesting storyline, this may be right up your alley. This story just kind of rolls along and there is not a lot of action. But what you will find is a story that makes you think about what is in store for us in the near future.

I was interested in the characters and what was going to happen to them, but I
Kathy Sebesta
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book off my to-be-read shelf. I doubt it's available anywhere, and it's definitely dated, but the premise - the cure for an AIDS pandemic creates an interesting form of sterility, and how the "new" homo sapiens lives and eventually interacts with the "old" - is interesting and well done. A quick read with some food for thought.
Raella
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
MAD SCIENCE creates a new subspecies of human who change sex every month starting at puberty! Yet nothing very interesting comes of this. They have to keep their existence a secret from the outside world, blah blah same old thing. Most of the plot is ludicrously implausible. Do not recommend.
Christopher
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
For some reason this book took me about 4 months to read. I kept reading other books in the middle of it. Despite of that, I really enjoyed the book. I love science fiction, but much of it is bad. This book is good.
Brian
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
An odd mix of 50's and 80's style sci-fi, with a dated background, and the occasional "sex sells right?" moment. The basic premise is interesting, (I won't give it away here) but almost wasn't enough to save the book. Barely a three.
Parmacendar
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction, nb
Sally
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have never read any of Busby's other books, although I am familiar with his name. This book was published in 1988, but wears well. The premise of society's problem of women being unable to have more than one child with the same man was an interesting one, and the solution was even more so.
Jeremy Moats
Aug 02, 2015
Glen
Apr 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
  • Orbs (Orbs #1)
  • The Elders (Mind Dimensions, #4)
  • The Enlightened (Mind Dimensions, #3)
  • The Mandel Files, Volume 1: Mindstar Rising & A Quantum Murder