Start by marking “Physics Of The Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny And Our Daily Lives By The Year 2100” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  11,733 Ratings  ·  926 Reviews

Imagine, if you can, the world in the year 2100.

In Physics of the Future, Michio Kaku—the New York Times bestselling author of Physics of the Impossible—gives us a stunning, provocative, and exhilarating vision of the coming century based on interviews with over three hundred of the world’s top scientists who are already inventing the future in their labs. The result is th

Published (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Physics Of The Future, please sign up.

Daniela With a really open mind, everything in this book can eventually happen. It's really entertaining so you won't ever get bored!
A I thinks it's because more and more developed nations like Germany and Japan are seeing negative population growth. The idea is that as the worlds…moreI thinks it's because more and more developed nations like Germany and Japan are seeing negative population growth. The idea is that as the worlds developing nations mature their populations will stop increasing and will eventually begin to decrease.(less)

Kim Pallister
Mar 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a horrible book. I gave up on it a third of the way through. I'm not sure why people give the author high marks. Perhaps his earlier works are better and he phone this one in.

The book claims to look at scientific advances in a number of fields (computers, biology, etc), and drawing from interviews with hundreds of leading scientists, make predictions about the next 90 years.

What it does instead is the worst kind of pop-science futurism. The author picks and chooses from science that sup
Michael
Lot of thrilling stuff here in one competent package from a scientist who puts on a futurologist’s hat to give us a tour of how far science will advance and change society over the next 100 years. His topics cut a broad swath with chapters on each of the following: computers, artificial intelligence, medicine, nanotechnology, energy, space travel, wealth, and humanity’s stages of civilization. It’s fun to hear from a knowledgeable writer just how likely it is we will achieve many of the themes o ...more
Efka
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Apie šią knygą galima kalbėti daug ir ilgai, bet pakaks pasakyti tiek: jei išsipildys bent trečdalis to, ką Michio Kaku numano, kaip galimą žmonijos ateitį, mes iš esmės būsim dievais. Bent jau pagal tradicinį, antikinį ar pagoniškąjį dievų supratimą.

Taip, yra ir čia keistų prognozių. Yra ir tokių prognozių, kurios jau po keletos metų po knygos išleidimo nepasitvirtino ("Naftos barelis šiuo metu kainuoja apie 120 dolerių ir nepanašu, kad ateityje dėl ko nors ši kaina turėtų kristi"), bet yra ir
Robert Kroese
I got this book out of the local library because I heard the author on NPR and the book sounded interesting. I'm doing research for a near-future sci-fi novel and this sounded right up my alley.

First of all, the title is a misnomer. This book should be called Technology of the Future, as it's only tangentially about physics. The prose is painfully bad at times, tending toward cliches and mixed metaphors. Consider this gem, for example:

"Like a kid in a candy store, he delights in delving into unc
Gendou
May 01, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, futurism
This books is more about the TECHNOLOGY of the future than the physics thereof.
Really, if you've kept up with Tech news, you can just skip reading this book...
I counted no fewer than 34 references to "God" or "gods", a bad sign on it's own.
There is more time dedicated to ancient mythology than to actual physics!
The most annoying is the indicative future used without proper qualifiers.
For example, he says something "will happen", instead of examining the LIKELIHOOD that it will happen.
This is Kak
Mike Mullin
Excellent when Kaku focuses on technology, physics or string theory. When he veers onto other topics such as history, education, or culture Kaku produces about one WTF? statement per page. Not only are his opinions on these subjects often totally unsupported by evidence, they occasionally contradict other assertions found a few pages away. Even when Kaku sticks with what he knows, his predictions for the future seem almost laughably optimistic and naive. Every problem has a technological solutio ...more
Marty Essen
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably not a book some hard-core science fuddy-duddy is going to enjoy. But if you are just fascinated by learning new things or contemplating the future, this soft-core science book is for you.

For me, any book that makes learning fun is a good one. Just think of how many people will pick up Professor Kaku's book that haven't read much more than a science-related newspaper article since high school!

My favorite sections of Physics of the Future were the chapters on the Future of Energy
C.W.
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Thoroughly engrossing, entertaining, interesting, and well put together; I enjoyed listening to this a lot, and thought it gave a great and insightful look into things that I don't know anything about. But now I kinda do! Michio Kaku made it all accessible while not dumbing it down at all - he's just got a great writing voice and way of expressing things that's easy to follow. Obviously knows what he's talking about and cares about giving you as much information, in as engaging a way as possible ...more
Daniel Clausen
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic journey into the future of science, technology, and humanity.
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I was really disappointed in this book. I was expecting more information on physics (darn the title for misleading me!) and was instead presented with a book about the future of technology. Which is cool, since that's my field of expertise and I've seen some of the things that Kaku mentioned in the book.

There were some glaring omissions (where is Virgina Tech's CHARLI? And no DARwin? He's the RoboCup champ, for goodness sake!) in the AI section, though i
Colin Bendell
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm super excited about the future! Michio Kaku connects work being accomplished the labs with the applications in the future. This isn't about imagining some mythical utopia, but looking at the discoveries and inventions that exist today and how they can be combined and utilized in the future once the economies of scale and mass production are flushed out.

For example: We already can remotely control micro robots and we have the ability to analyze cells on a single micro chip. In the futur
Sam
May 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read a couple hundred pages on an airplane, and I regret having made an impulse-purchase of this book in the airport bookstore. Like others, I was disturbed by the poor writing (annoying tone, repetitive and useless allusions to mythology, weird Star Trek obsession...). And as others stressed (and which if I'd had more time before my flight I might have realized by skimming more thoroughly before purchasing), this book has practically no physics in it. At some point I might go back and read so ...more
Fred Forbes
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of hearing Michio Kaku speak at a convention and figured if his books are as thought provoking as his speeches, I should grab one. He does write well but I think the title of this one is a bit misleading. It ranges far beyond physics to a variety of sciences to lay out a timeline of coming advances but most importantly it goes far beyond science to human relationships, economics and trade and personal lifestyle. Probably the most intriguing development to me it the incorporati ...more
ade_reads
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"But science, not superstition, is based on reproducible, testable, and falsifiable data." (page : 84 - 85)

Finally, I finished this book last night and i'm absolutely hooked!

Focusing on medical care, scientist have created a way to insert a chip and it's complete with a TV camera and radio into a pill takes TV images of your intestines and radios them to a receiver. One advantage of a patients intestines and detect cancers, without the inconvenience of sticking a 6 foot long tube up the large in
Bryan Alexander
Physics of the Future is a light, breezy account of where many scientists and technologists saw their fields advancing as of 2011. It's a nice historical document in that way, and also a very easy to read sketch of the future from an expert perspective. It's also a very positive, optimistic book.

Michio Kaku breaks things down by scientific and technological disciplines, exploring each one in turn: artificial intelligence, energy, space travel, health care, computing (again), nanotechnology, and
Michael
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was little I had a book about what would happen in the future, and it was one of my favorite things. Heavy on illustrations. I remember that the pictures were of people in floating cars, buildings under water, that sort of thing. Fanciful and mostly just made up, but tons of fun to think about. I am wishing right now I knew where it was. I guess there's no way that book or anyone could have imagined what actually has happened! Much more impressive in many ways. Hell, the internet came out ...more
Max
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
A light fun albeit selective exploration of the future of technology. From internet connected contact lenses and magnetic cars to starships and designer children, Kaku identifies many of the possible advances to occur in the next 100 years. If his optimistic presentation holds it will be a great time to live.

His greatest concern seems to be global warming which in his hopeful projections, mankind is able to handle. However he just touches the problem of man’s violent history and leaves out the
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting book for me. I'm a scientist myself, but my field, geology, tends to look into the past rather than the future. It made me more aware of the upcoming breakthroughs in physics, medicine and computers. I liked the fact the author is a quantum physicist himself and fully knowledgeable about these ideas and actually got to physically test and see the technology himself. I had no idea how far away we are from creating a true artificial intelligence and nanotechnology, but how ...more
George Saoulidis
Great foundation for hard sci-fi inspiration. Mr Kaku is a well educated nerd and we love him for it.
Correen
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Kaku makes the complex understandable. That is, one does not understand the complexities but rather has a sense of what is happening. This book creates a sense of wonder. His look into the 22nd century seemed too pat but still challenging to the mind. Given how difficult it has been to find cures for cancer, parkinson's, or even the common cold, it is hard to consider how disease could be eradicated. On the other hand, the use of dust sized computers, seems quite possible.

I would recommend this
Ugnė
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pagaliau išmurkšliojau. kad pavadinimas turėtų būti ne „ateities fizika”, o „ateities technologijos”, tai visiems aišku. nepaisant šio klaidingo pavadinimo, veikalas įdomus ir aprėpiantis nemažai sričių. sužinojau naujų naudingų dalykų ir pajaučiau, kad į ateities pasaulį bei jo užuomazgas šiais laikais žvelgiu kitu kampu. dėkoju ponui Kakui ir Lietuvos mokslų akademijai.
Chris
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had potential but ultimately didn't do it for me. Kaku looks at current trends and developments in science, technology, genetics, medicine, etc. and attempts to picture how human life will be changed by 2100.

Positives:
Kaku gives a pleasant tour of the many fascinating discoveries and upcoming developments in science and technology. Also, props to him for attempting a thoughtful, well-reasoned guess at what the future will look like.

Negatives:
Kaku plays it way too safe. In his effort n
Alex Telander
Michio Kaku, a professor of physics at the CUNY Graduate Center, sure knows how to make science both gripping and interesting. After the great bestseller, Physics of the Impossible, which tackled all those great science fiction inventions we’ve heard so much about in books, going in detail about when these said inventions would plausibly be invented; he brings things closer to home in Physics of the Future, focusing on inventions developments over the next century.

In his new book, Kaku goes into
Dave
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not bad, it's just not great either.

I quickly got tired of the tone, which seems melodramatic. He talks incessantly about reclaiming the power the ancient gods were said to have, like the Greeks'.

It also takes a while to get going and to understand the structure, which takes an area of technology and then explores it near, mid, and long term future.

After all of that, I felt like I had heard of most of the technologies he talks about before. The most interesting parts are where he projects f
Ivana
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profesor teorijske fizike koji je uspeo da razumljivim, tačnije naučno popularnim rečnikom omogući nama običnim smrtinicima, jedno fenomenalno I zanimljivo putovanje u budućnost.
Budućnost u kojoj ćemo moći da čitamo jedni drugima misli, u kojoj ćemo se voziti letećim automobilima, kada će preventiva svih bolesti biti moguća zahvaljujući magnetnoj rezonanci veličine današnjeg mobilnog telefona. Budućnost kada ćemo imati svoje avatare i vreme kada će postojati svemirski liftovi u turističkoj ponu
TarasProkopyuk
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futurism, science
Превосходная, качественная и захватывающая книга!

Автор проделал прекрасную работу собрав множество научных открытий в эту книгу. Она словно поток фактов о с острия научного мира от первых его лиц. Да, многое нам уже известно из новостных сводок и может не так уж и удивит, но когда данные о передовых научных открытиях собраны в одно единое место и очень хорошо систематизированы, то читая книгу словно попадаешь в будущее.

После прочтения книги вы вряд ли станете равнодушным к науке или к изобретате
Umair Khan
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is the future going to be like? Physics of the Future tries to answer this question in an engaging, thought provoking and visionary account of the possibilities that, according to the author, Michio Kaku, will be transformed into reality in the coming decades. The book will not be a disappointment to fans of Kaku and can be considered as a sequel to his previous work, Visions, but with a more expansive view.

Physics outlines four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, weak
David Everling
I'm not sure about anybody's ability to predict a century into the future (especially if you give credence to the idea of accelerating returns in technology), but I was willing to give this book a shot after hearing Michio Kaku in interviews. In particular he piqued my curiosity with the claim that all the ideas in the book are grounded on currently existing prototypes or established scientific theory.

Now after having read it, I think Michio is only giving a survey of some select topics, and the
Mykola
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ua, paper
До цієї книжки, думаю, цікаво буде повертатись час від часу, адже вона про майбутнє (а значить, це такий макро-чекліст), крім того, в ній є купа посилань на підняті теми (і список літератури в кінці). «Фізика майбутнього», хоч направду не лиш фізика і не стільки про майбутнє, здається мені хорошою точкою входу в популярну науку.
Кайку — мій герой. Написано жваво і легко, при цьому автор вдало сполучає свої фахові знання із широтою зацікавлень. Це такий гіперсоціальний Юкава Сенсей, апологет прогр
Scott Wozniak
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating survey of what's actually happening in the cutting edge of science and technology. He walks through computers and vehicles and energy and space exploration and even culture. For each area he discussed deeply what's happening now, then gives thoughtful guesses to what will develop in early 21st century, mid-century, and late-century.

His understanding of science is broad AND deep. His vision of the future of science is compelling. Some highlights: Tiny computer chips will be
Goodreads Librari...: [Speaker Portuguese] Fix field "sort by title" 3 10 Mar 10, 2017 11:53PM
Goodreads Librari...: B004WNAA88 3 25 Apr 28, 2012 10:45AM
  • Wonders of the Universe
  • Radioactivity: A History of a Mysterious Science
  • The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos
  • From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
  • The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • The Day We Found the Universe
  • The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality
  • Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
  • The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics
  • In Search of the Multiverse
  • Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond
  • The Book of Nothing: Vacuums, Voids, and the Latest Ideas about the Origins of the Universe
  • Time Traveler: A Scientist's Personal Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality
  • Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: Митио Каку
Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008) and Physics of the Future (2011).

Dr. M
More about Michio Kaku...

“‎By 2100, our destiny is to become like the gods we once worshipped and feared. But our tools will not be magic wands and potions but the science of computers, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, biotechnology, and most of all, the quantum theory.” 32 likes
“There is so much noise on the Internet, with would-be prophets daily haranguing their audience and megalomaniacs trying to push bizarre ideas, that eventually people will cherish a new commodity: wisdom.” 27 likes