Start by marking “Reckoning (Night Huntress, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Reckoning (Night Huntress, #0.5)

Reckoning

(Night Huntress Universe 0.5)

In New Orleans, a pair of undead ghoul serial killers is about to turn Mardi Gras into a horror show - unless the immortal hitman Bones can hunt them down first. Can he avoid redhaired vampire mercenary in pursuit at the same time? From anthology Unbound.
Published November 29th 2011 by Avon HarperCollins (first published August 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckoning

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
This was a really good pre-Cat Bones story.

It takes place in New Orleans where Bones is contracted to take out the Lalauries (as ghouls), who have taken advantage of ghoul queen Marie Leveau's absence, and started to hack up Mardi Gras tourists serial killer-style.

It was kind of awesome. But then, I do love it when history (ESPECIALLY creepy history) is mixed in with UF. But maybe that's just me . . . *wink*
Sophia Triad
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very short story about Bones before he meets Cat. It takes place during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It is a quite sad story as well as a scary story.
Bones is paid to hunt two immortal serial killers, a ghoul couple that like to play with their food before they kill it. They are extremely, disgustingly, horrible sadists.
Pretty soon Bones will not care for the payment, but only for the vengeance.
You will definitely love Bones more in this short story and if you a fan of the series, it is a must
SheriC (PM)
I've never read any of the other books in this series, but that was not a barrier to enjoying this fun little novella about a vampire-for-hire and deadly ghouls. The author had more fun with the gruesome than with the romance, which was decidedly one-sided, but I thought (view spoiler) especially at the end.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive. Competently read by Ta
Melindeeloo
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I read Jeaniene Frost's "Reckoning" as part of the Unbound anthology - Before he met Cat, vampire Bones is on the hunt in New Orlean's for a pair of brutal supernatural serial killers - I am a huge fan of Bones and Cat, so it feels weird to see him on his own. And though Frost still tells an interesting story, with the way things go down, the Bones here is a lesser one - he doesn't seem as smart or powerful as usual. (4 Amazon stars/3 goodreads stars = I liked it)
Glass
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Gah... I'm skipping novellas.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This was really good! I love Bones who is the featured character in this short story. The story was entertaining and the narration of the audiobook was excellent. It was really nice to see a bit of Bones in his pre-Cat days.

Book source: Public library via Hoopla
Treece
Rating: 4 stars

Bones on a secret job in New Orleans to track down and to kill a pair of serial killer ghouls was captivating and edgy. It was a fascinating glimpse into Bones' life pre-Cat aka The Reaper.
I would definitely read this one again for the thrill.
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Bones is one of the few heroes whose looks I've never paid much attention to because his actions and words are much more interesting and compelling. Since there's no Cat here, I could appreciate his whole self a lot better, not just his persona. And me likey.
Yodamom
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, library
Quick and fast, about 2 hours on audio. Bones hit New Orleans where he is hunted, hunts and questioned by a queen. I enjoyed seeing Bone pre-Cat and watching his skills come into play.
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
I read a couple of books from this series years ago and decided to do a reread starting from the beginning

This is before Bones met Cat when he's hired to find two ghouls who are murdering and eating people in New Orleans. Bones also has an assassin oh his heels, there were some action packed moments, a brief love interest who unfortunately died and a satisfactory conclusion to the plot.

Moving on
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Reread 16.12.2015

It was interesting to see what life was for Bones before Cat. Though I think in this story he was lacking.

If it would have been about any other vampire but Bones I would have given it 3 stars. But since I'm so biased when it comes to this series it's 4 stars for me. ;-)

Originally read somewhere 2013 or before.

Read in Unbound
Lyn* Nomad *Worlds await*
Uh, uh, is it a good idea or bad to re-read the Night Huntress series? What if the stars Bones put in my eyes when I was younger fall off like scales and I end up not liking him anymore?
A necessary evil if I want to read the newer books.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm always jonesing for my next Cat & Bones fix so when Reckoning was released as a stand-alone novella I just jumped at the chance to start from the very beginning of this series. This short story was only previously available in the Unbound anthology and it's installment 0.5 in the Night Huntress series. I didn't love this tale but then again, there's no such thing as a bad read when this series is concerned IMO.

I'm just going to come out and say it. I found Bones
Iza
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars, though I was tempted to give it 3. My bad - in fact, I should have read that book after I began the series.

You know, reading it feels like "how the characters originally met", but since I don't know the characters yet, I missed something that would probably have delighted me later. The pace is good, I'm not in love with Bones but I'm interested in him and in the situation, I want him to find those he's looking for and I'm certain I'll meet again some of people I saw there - we
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
Bones'ın Cat'ten önce, yanlız kovboy olarak takıldığı vakitlere şöyle bir göz atmış olduk. 😊
Cereja Cult

Reviewed on 01/15/2012

I’ve read this after reading the first book and about 50% of the second book so I knew exactly who Bones was and what he did for living, well, not living, but, oh,, you know what I mean. What he does to get money, anyway.
The story is in New Oreland and is before he meets Cat. It’s in 3ºpeeps POV, not my fave, but it was cool enough. It still got me somewhat inside Bones. He is still hot and still Bones, but there was no talk back and all the feisty stuff I love about this
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This 60 page short story is part of the Night Huntress world of Jeaniene Frost, and provides background information to events and characters that we see later in the 4th book, Destined for an Early Grave. This is absolutely a story to search out, if for no other reason than to enjoy a few moments from Bones' POV. In the novels, Cat is often chided because she doesn't think like a vampire. So, it is sweetly refreshing, after umpteen hundred pages of Cat's often immature and wishy-washy observatio ...more
Malinda
4 stars

This was a very good short story about Bones before the beginning of the Night Huntress series. Bones gets called in to New Orleans to take out two undead killers that are causing havoc in the city. There ends up being an unexpected issue when his hiring doesn't end up being quite on the level. Also, Bone has some trouble with someone trying to cash in on a price in his head while he's busy trying to hunt the killers. It's an interesting little story but fair warning, it does have a bit o
Pam Nelson
5 Reckoning Stars

It's worth the read for sure, we get to meet Bones before he is with Cat.
You get to see him as a bad as Bounty Hunter and who wouldn't want to read about that!

So if your thinking you will pass I am here to say its a great beginning to the series and you should read it if you have read the series because BONES... Enough said. :D

*All my Reviews are 100% honest and my own.*
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
A 3.5 star read. this is a prequel to the Night Huntress series, Bones before Cat and does answer some interesting trivia, including the origin of Bone's platinum hair colour and why Marie had banned him from New Orleans.

A nice little read but they're better as the dynamic duo, Cat and Bones than solo.
Marianne
3.5 stars and an interesting look into Bones's bounty hunting days prior to meeting Cat.
Anne - Books of My Heart
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Great story of Bones in times pre-Cat. It also provides the backstory of his tumultuous relationship with Marie.
Kathrin
When I thought that I didn't want to start a new series, I stumble upon this one.

Decent start, as always a little short but promising enough to start the series. I'm looking forward to it.
Danielle
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
2018 reread:
I still love this little intro to Bones. He's a lot of snark and sass, but then, you do get to see the vulnerable side of him - the part that truly cares for people and does not want to see any harm come to innocents.

2015 review:
I'm coming into this series, so I'm reading this novella before reading the first book, so while I know of Cat and Bones, I really don't know them well at all. In this case, it's all about Bones, as its a prequel to everything else.

Of course I had to love
Sheri
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I liked this short story. You get to see a glimpse of Bones before Cat. He doesn't seem quite as intense, lacking a bit of his haughty personality. I'm not sure if that is due to the short nature of the story or if it is because he was different before he meet Cat.

I really liked that this story tied into the other books. We met Marie (Queen of New Orleans) and learned a bit about hers and Bone's past. I think that's the thing I didn't like about the Sookie short stories - they were just stories
The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost was one of the first paranormal series I read and I immediately loved it. I enjoyed this short-story as well. Reckoning takes place in New Orleans before Bones and Cat met. Although I missed Cat in this story, I enjoyed seeing Bones in a different light. The Queen is also a character in this short-story and the reader gets a glimpse of the Queen's and Bones interactions that will be continued later on in the series. I would recommend Reckoning to fans ...more
Stacie
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A little bit more Bones is a good thing, but this short little story was actually quite sad to me. It also didn't add anything to "Halfway to The Grave"; not even to Bones' character in book 1. I'm hoping and guessing it will add to other stories in the series or to the series overall. So I will see... Other wise, it a very short story that didn't take long to read, so if your a series fan, why not read it. Happy reading!
╰⊱♥⊱╮ღ꧁Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie꧂ღ╭⊱♥≺
Not bad, but I do think Bones NEEDS Cat at his side! It just wasn't the same with just him! This prequel explains Bones's expulsion, by Majestic, from The French Quarter, and Why, further down the track, he was so wary about fronting up to her again. It is set right before he heads to Ohio and his eventual destined meeting with Cat.
Brandi ;)
Loved it! Pretty much because it is all Bones and I just can't get enough of that man. Also, I liked reading about him pre-Cat. You know, getting a little feel of how he was before she met him. Still the same hot and sexy vampire, but maybe a little more....reckless? Is that possible? Ah well, I liked it, enought said. :)
Lorre
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet short story ! I would've liked it a bit longer and more detailed.

Reckoning is a story about Bones before he meets Cat.
It sure was strange to read about the handsome vampire without his "Kitten".
But with or without his beloved Cat he still has that same humor I love so much about him !

• Weddings from Hell
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)
  • Death's Excellent Vacation
  • A Family Affair (Cassandra Palmer, #4.1)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter #0.8)
  • Relentless (Vampires in America, #11.5)
  • Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring (Jane Jameson, #3.5)
  • The Alpha Alternative: JZB Sex Scene (Fever, #1.5)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • For I Have Sinned (Charley Davidson, #1.5)
  • It Happened One Valentine's Day: An Avon Romance Valentine's Day Sampler
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin, #2.7)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, the Broken Destiny series, and the upcoming Night Rebel series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in Florida with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps i ...more

Night Huntress Universe (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Once Burned (Night Prince, #1)
  • Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)