Start by marking “Double Dead (Tomes of The Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Double Dead (Tomes of The Dead, #1)

Double Dead

(Tomes of The Dead #1)

Coburn’s been dead now for close to a century, but seeing as how he’s a vampire and all, it doesn't much bother him. Or at least it didn't, not until he awoke from a forced five-year slumber to discover that most of human civilization was now dead-but not dead like him, oh no.

See, Coburn likes blood. The rest of the walking dead, they like brains. He’s smart. Them, not so
Published November 15th 2011 by Abaddon (first published November 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Double Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Dead

Justine
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read

Coburn had seen lots of bad shit. He'd been the engineer of most of it. He'd seen blood and horror aplenty and it didn't mean squat. To him, the human population of the world comprised nothing but meat-puppets and blood-bags: people to manipulate and motherfuckers to eat. And that was that and never would it be different. Or so he thought.

Coburn is a vampire who arises from a long period of dry out due to lack of blood to find that while he was incapacitated, the zombie apocalypse has
Bradley
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Serious fun stuff. I can't believe this is his first novel, and the first one I've read. It certainly isn't going to by my last. :) I love the concept. Vampire MC in a zombie wasteland. SO TOTALLY COOL.

And yes, there's a full-blown tribute to either the comic for The Walking Dead or the TV series. Soo many great scenes, all made with just enough difference to be all Wendig, but with a very classy evil humor that's all Wendig, too. :)

So I fell into this novel having a grand ole time and it never
Emma
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was a fun read. This is a surprise to me as, although a fan of grimdark, there were some really gruesome description in here and there was so much swearing. But it worked. It more than worked...Wendig can write! Fast paced, exciting, an original take on the apocalypse.
Ren Thompson
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lately I’ve been on this zombie kick.

I’ve pulled out my old Romero flicks (if you even have to ask, leave now and go to the next blog), I got hooked on The Walking Dead series on AMC (an extremely smart move on their part, by the way) and have recently discovered zombie fiction.

Chuck Wendig has decided to take it a step further by putting a frigging Vampire in the mix.

Yeah.

I know.

The vampire’s name is Coburn. Our “hero” is an asshole and, to put it bluntly, he refuses to apologize for it. Can I
Paul Nash
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, urban-fantasy
Outstanding! I'm a fan of The Walking Dead, vampires (just not the faires from Twilight) and Robert McCammon. To me, this was a perfect mashup of the three!

Coburn (the BAD ASS vamp) awakes after a sort of hibernation slumber, to a world full of zombies. This literally happens on page one. He is thirsty for blood...so what does a vampire do? He hunts...and in turn becomes a protector, a "Shepard" to his cattle (people).

The action is 110% BRUTAL and non-stop! Never boring, never a dull moment! Th
Chelsea
This was my favorite book of the year. Starring a deliciously misanthropic vampire, a rat terrier, and a pack of zombie apocalypse survivors packed into a Winnebago, this tale sells itself as full-on pulp. It's replete with zombies, guns, cannibals, Walmart... A real freakshow-cross section of society. It brims with humor, explosions, guns, and a touch of the supernatural that really pulls it together.

However, the tale has a surprising sensitivity, which leaves you wondering about what it means
Mr. Matt
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia, horror, 2013, zombies
I picked up Double Dead with great expectations. I was very impressed with the Miriam Black stories. The premise of this book was hard to beat. A vampire wakes up from a multi-year slumber only to find that the world he had known was consumed by the zombie apocalypse – and he can’t feed off of the shambling corpses. Now, he must go from hunter to shepherd in order to preserve his own food supply. Awesome, right?

The problem with Double Dead is not the premise. Just looking at this book in terms o
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, kindle
You may also read my review here:http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/01/...

So, you’re a dessicated vampire (that’s gone without blood for years, and has been in a kind of stasis) that comes to in the middle of an abandoned theatre with zombies nomming on, well, everything living. What do you do? You need to get blood, right? Our vamp, Coburn, attempts to do just that, but when he bites into one of the zombies, he quickly realizes that zombie blood is bad for his health. Well then, it’s time to fin
Amanda
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aderyn Wood
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apocalyptic
A unique and refreshing take on the vampire vs zombie tale. The main character, Coburn, was as frustrating as he was endearing. Fast-paced, great writing and an entertaining story.
Gianfranco Mancini
3,5 stars

"What are you?" "I'm Batman!"

Vampire Coburn wakes up from a five year slumber after vampire hunters blown a theatre on his head (going away with his middle finger) and finds out a world ravaged by the zombie apocalypse!
An original non stop action tale visceral and funny.

We have a well done great mash up of genres, a real fun one.

A badass vampire as main character.

A zombie apocalypse.

Zombies mutating after drinking vampire blood.

A fat cannibal queen and her brutal henchmen.

Clown bikers g
Romina Nicolaides
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
The premise of this book is so cool that after reading it any Fantasy Author will say “Why didn’t I think of that?!” Or maybe it’s just me.

Coburn the Vampire wakes up post apocalypse in a world overrun by zombies. To a hungry Vampire, humans have gone from a fast food level of availability to foraging in the desert in July levels. They are very hard to come by and when he does find them he has to fight the zombies for them. If that isn’t an awesome concept, I don’t know what is.

In order to survi
Mrs. Badass
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because I follow Chuck's blog, and find his humor on par with my own. Or is that my humor is on par with his? I think he's older, so let's go with that.
I found Double Dead to be interesting and different. Some parts were funny, some were gory and others had me cringing. I suspected a few things, but was also surprised at how the book ended.

Coburn, is a vampire who wakes up, buried, with no idea how he got that way. He rises up and finds himself in the middle of a zombie apoca
Amanda
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's certainly a new spin on the Zombie Apocalypse. What would happen if you were a vampire, and you woke up to find most of your food source is walking around all pussy and rotten and, well, inedible? If you're Coburn, you turn shepherd, protecting your food source to ensure your survival.

Now, let's not think this is altruism. Coburn is a total asshole. Cocky, smug, cheerfully violent - this vampire does not sparkle, or swoon, he bites holes in you and drinks your blood. He's Spike, before spik
Carl Bussler
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense-horror
I love stories about redemption, forgiveness, and guilt. Double Dead delivers. This story has a vulgar, brutal, hard-candy coating. I found it difficult to like the protagonist in the beginning. Coburn the vampire is really quite despicable. He's crass. Violent. Selfish. Rude. But it wasn't long before I was in his corner cheering him on.

This is what makes the journey so enjoyable. His personal transformation from hunter to shepherd.

Immediately after finishing Double Dead, I fired-up Amazon and
Gregor Xane
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Predictable, repetitious, and ridiculous. The ICP Nation was a bit too silly. But, overall, it was a quick, fun read. It accomplished exactly what it set out to accomplish.
Trevor Green
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First off, I'm gonna tell you all that Double Dead is not for the faint of heart. If you suffer from a severely overactive gag reflex, heart murmurs, are a nun, or you're just straight up noodle-necked (not a real thing), stay well back. If you don't fall into those categories, pick up the dang book. I give Double Dead 5 solid stars, and it deserves it.

I've been a long time follower of everything Chuck Wendig. I guess I may even be considered a Wendigoth (a term for Wendig fans, coined by anothe
Kelly
Oct 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book. I really, really did. The premise alone set up such expectations in my mind. Let's think about this: A vampire wakes up from a long sleep and find the zombie apocalypse in full swing. He can't live on zombies - their blood does nothing for him. Animals help but not enough to sustain him. He needs humans - which are rare.

This could have been so right. Vampire having to win the trust of a band of humans and help them survive while convincing them to allow him to feed so
sj
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here.

Remember when I said last year that @KateSherrod had needed multiple showers after reading Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black books?  That was NOTHING compared to the showers, brain bleach and other necessary mental hygiene adjustments one will need after reading Wendig's zombie+vampire+zombie vampire novel Double Dead.

I am not kidding at all, this book is GROSS.  But still somehow charming? Seriously, this was how I read this book -  "HAHAHAHAHAHA!  Ew.  Seriously, ew.  But stil
Jax Garren
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because (a) I adore Chuck Wendig's irreverent yet thoughtful blog Terrible Minds and (b) vampire/zombie pulp horror, yes please.

Wow. Just...wow. This book is disgusting. And hilarious. It's like a Quentin Tarantino movie in book form with a vital difference: I like Wendig's characters. Though I admire Tarantino's skill, creativity, and vision, I don't enjoy his movies because his characters are pretty much soulless. (Yes, I've seen Kill Bill. No, it didn't change my mind.) Chuc
Christina
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Chuck Wendig really hit the ground running. As far as skill goes, it really doesn't feel too much farther than his Miriam Black books (the two I've read anyway). I do have a couple issues with his writing, particular to this story. One is that he definitely depends on character archetypes to outline his characters, and it gets a little boring seeing everyone perfectly live up to the expectations of that stereotype. The other is that he tends to make narrative choices that feel really unsatisfyin ...more
Colleen
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It's the usual unwilling guardian shtick--the sarcastic rather scruple free vampire, Coburn, finally free after 5 years trapped...to discover a zombie ravaged NYC, years after the outbreak wiped out most of humanity. With the drinkable blood supply a fading commodity, he agrees to shepherd a group of people (the idiot father, sick daughter with a plan, the usual tough-pretty troublemaker, vet, and computer tech) across country to a lab still working on a cure, in exchange for ...more
Brian Steele
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A terribly fun book, if you like your fun bloody. With a basic premise that a Vampire wakes up sometime after the Zombie Apocalypse has occurred and realizes that he has to protect his food source from the shambling undead, things go off in a bizarre tangent from there. The hysterical word-play by Wendig is countered perfectly with his scenes of high-level gore.

Our main protagonist, Coburn, is the very definition of "misanthropic," prone to inappropriate comments and bursts of ultra-violence for
Josh
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Probably between 3 and 4, but I'm rounding up because why not be generous?

I was taken by the concept here immediately. What does a vampire do in the zombie apocalypse? It's such an easy concept, and a good genre mash-up, but it was fresh enough that I hadn't seen it before and Wendig shows from the outset that he's going to have some fun with it, without making fun of it.

The first half to two-thirds of the book it all seems to be tracking along fairly well, a straight-line narrative but well tol
Dan
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is pulp.

I mean, it has to be, right? It's a vampire fighting zombies. That's... about as pulpy as you can get.

I'm a big fan of Chuck Wendig, and his first novel didn't disappoint. It's not high literature, but it's entertaining as hell. I wasn't able to read as much as I'd like for the first half of the book or so, but once my schedule cleared up the pages flew by.

I do have one qualm, which is that the entire first paragraph goes by without the word "fuck." I've got certain expectation
*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
If you want to read a book with pretty sparkling vampires, well don't read this. But if you want some good horror badassary with a vampire who is not a nice guy, then this is the book for you. Throw in a bunch of varied and interesting characters, a rat terrior, tons of action, and a world filled with zombies and you've got one heck of a good story.

Another bonus... the author's writing style is so sarcastic, clever and fun. He had me rooting for the "monster" vampire. You could catch little glim
Krycek
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian, horror
Mitch Davis
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved every single bone-crunching moment of this book. The idea - a vampire wakes up in the midst of the zombie apocalypse and is forced to turn from predator to protector - is executed excellently.

With a wide cast of whores, cannibals, rednecks and drug addled clowns, Wendig keeps the batshit-insane levels at a euphoric high on his adventure from the East to West coast of America.

When you flip your middle finger off at the world, remember that the world might just cut it off.
Eric Asher
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun roller coaster testing the upper limits of profanity and gore. My gore limits anyway, which I didn't think I had, but apparently I do, lol. Good read, there are only a few highs for the characters throughout the story, but the lows in this book are so horrifically low you can't stop reading because that "just can't be happening". I'll definitely follow Coburn into the next story.
Robert Williamson
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a book!

Coburn is a terrific character. This book had it all - action, suspense, smart ass comments, a vampire and zombies.

I cannot wait for the next book in the series. Another must read author for me.
  • Silver Crown King (Demon Lord, #5)
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • Resurrection: Zombie Epic
  • Dead Things
  • City of the Lost
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • The Zombie Whisperer (Living with the Dead, #4)
  • Blood Riders
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Ship of the Dead (Omega Days, #2)
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Dead Harvest (The Collector, #1)
  • Resurrection (Demon Squad, #2)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Dead Living
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
“What...what are you?" she asked.
"I'm Batman.”
4 likes
“He wasn't supposed to feel this way. He didn't even want to feel the way he did for the dog, for Creampuff--
Goddamnit
Goddamnit
"Goddamnit!" he snarled. Ginger blinked. Incredulous he explained: "They took my dog, Ginger. They stole my terrier." He popped each of his knuckles. "They didn't just abandon me after I got them through, after I kept them alive. They rubbed salt on my wound while they pissed in my eyes. I can't believe they stole my dog."
Coburn grabbed the kid by his all too-clean shirt and shook him like a baby. "Listen. You're going to drive me to go get Creampuff, my terrier...”
3 likes