Start by marking “Free-Range Knitter: The Yarn Harlot Writes Again” as Want to Read:
Free-Range Knitter: The Yarn Harlot Writes Again

Free-Range Knitter: The Yarn Harlot Writes Again

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Free-Range Knitter: The Yarn Harlot Writes Again reminds us of the joy we felt upon first encountering her hilarious and poignant collection of essays surrounding her favorite topics: knitting, knitters, and what happens when you get those two things anywhere near ordinary people.

For the 60 million knitters in America, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Published (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Free-Range Knitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free-Range Knitter

Start your review of Free-Range Knitter: The Yarn Harlot Writes Again
SaraJane
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
Page 8 "It is my considered belief that the number one reason knitters knit is because they are so smart that they need knitting to make boring things interesting. Knitters are so compellingly clever that they simply can't tolerate boredom. It takes more to engage and entertain this kind of human, and they need an outlet or they get into trouble. Knitting probably prevents arson, prison, theft, and certainly mischief. I think knitters just can't watch TV without doing something else."

Page 22 "I
karenbee
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I give up. I dutifully read through page 150 of Free-Range Knitter and just did not want to pick it up again. It's an ARC so I felt I should slog through to the end but I can't make myself do it.

Pearl-McPhee's writing is fine -- words are put together nicely, and it's funny in spots, touching in others, but there's no SNAP, no connection; I am uninterested in this essay collection and reading it was like homework.

The essays with "surprise endings" are predictable, the description of knitting
Maria Elmvang
I loved this essay collection :) It's the first book I've read by the Yarn Harlot (although I've read some of her blog), but it definitely won't be the last. I've only knitted "for real" for two years, but already I could see far too much of myself in it, and she gave me a lot of new ideas for how to 'knit on the go'.

It's a cozy read whose only fault was that it kept making me want to put down my Kindle and pick up my knitting instead.

Reread 2020 Unfortunately I had to downgrade the rating a
Lynn
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This is another of those 99-cent deals I got on a whim. I used to knit quite a bit, but then I started a business and every spare second of my life was pretty much wiped out entirely. (And the only reason I read books now is as an act of rebellion and escape, somehow I can feel more noble about reading and can launch a better defense about why I'm not working armed with a book, instead of a ball of sock yarn.)

I have sorta of known about this writer/knitter for awhile now. Her first book came out
Hannah
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it!

Random thoughts:
* Are there really people who walk and knit? If so, my weirdness with knitting has not quite hit that point (yet).
* I didn't know there were special bags for carrying around your yarn so it doesn't roll around on the bus. I promptly went out and bought this: Sock Knitting Project Bag Hexipuff Small Crochet Wip Bag - Crazy Calaveras so that I can carry around my socks in progress (SiP?).
* The story of the ball of the yarn in the elevator seriously cracked me up.
Margot
Free-range knitter contains a collection of personal essays and humorous bits pertaining to her life-long obsession with knitting. Being one of her later works, this book contains a lot of essays about the latter stages of parental life--once most of her kids have reached their teenage years.

This is the second book I've read by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, and I actually found this one a bit disappointing. I particularly found most of the essays about parenting and watching other people knit rather
Kaitlyn
May 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters
Shelves: knitting, 2011
Purchased because it was for sale for about $3 for Kindle the other day. Definitely worth the impulse buy. Cute, light, sweet, funny. Her books read much the same way as her 'blog and that's a good thing. I don't think that this was a strong as others of hers that I have read (perhaps just Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter) but I enjoyed particularly the story of her friend struggling with depression. (Or maybe "enjoyed" is not the word. I thought that and the story of her Aunt Helen ...more
MJ
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few books--both fiction and nonfiction--on the topic of "sentimental knitting musings" and found that most of them didn't resonate with me at all. A lot of knitting memoirs are simply written by people I don't have a lot in common with, and it's hard to find common ground with various middle-aged white mothers who inherited knitting through some family legacy of grandmothers and whose yarn budgets and tastes differ vastly from my own.

But while Pearl-McPhee fits the exact description
Donna
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you've read any of Pearl-Mcphee's other books, this one is most similar to Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter. That's still my favorite of her books.

Some of the chapters in Free-Range Knitter are full of her great blend of humor and insight. Sadly, it feels like she missed the mark in others, and there were a few that felt like pure filler.

I didn't really care for the chapters where she talked about her friends and their knitting, because they mostly seemed like personal stories and
Chris
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting, done, owned, essays, 2008, arc
"I received this as an Early Reviewers copy. Free-Range Knitter is a collection of essays, split into seven parts as if it were a knitting project: casting on, knitting two together, yarn overs, left-leaning decreases, making one, continuing to knit even, and casting off. Each part begins with an essay about how a friend or family member knits, which then leads to deeper insights. Pearl-McPhee's trademark knitting humour is evident throughout the book, and some of the essays will be familiar to ...more
kingshearte
Some of the essays in this book were cute, but many of them just started to feel repetetive. Yes, you are obsessed with knitting. Yes, you have a massively huge stash. And yes, you are completely weak and powerless when it comes to buying yarn. So the ones dealing with those topics bored me.

Some of them really were nice, though. The tributes to various knitting friends/relatives were really sweet, and I quite enjoyed the one about the fascinating and beautiful dance one's fingers do when
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
I loved this book. On the back there is a quote from the author that says:
This book is about the things we have in common, we knitters, no matter where we live, whom we love, or what we are knitting...This book, though it appears to be about knitting, is actually about knitters.

That pretty much describes the book, although I would add that the book is about mothers too, and mothers who do not knit will probably find something here that resonates. I laughed a lot, I cried a little bit, and was
Julie Davis
#1 - 2010.

Picked up in a last-minute splurge before beginning my 2010 resolution of not buying new books (aside from book club requirements) for a year. Which makes it all the sweeter ...

An assortment of alternately interesting, insightful essays with goofy ones. I wound being largely unamused by the pieces clearly intended to amuse such as letters to a sweater and I was generally uninterested in the pieces about McPhee's children which analyzed them as knitters and took that into musings on
Jane Lebak
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book, but not a surprise because I already know I love Stephanie Pearl McPhee from her blog. The book is composed of vignettes about knitters and the mindset of knitting, some misadventures and some thought-provoking analyses of the people she's known and loved. Recommended mostly to people who are crafty but also to others who just like to read about life in general.
Chelsea
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, humor, othermedia, 2010
As funny and enjoyable as her first, but with fewer digs at crocheters this time around. And while most of the book is humorous (and sarcastic and in-jokey), she managed to get me to tear up with the very last section ("Helen"), which really wasn't fair.

Much like her other books, a great read for the knitters out there, and likely completely incomprehensible for the non-knitters.
Nostalgia Reader
Just couldn't get into this one. The stories seem to tend less towards the humorous and more towards the poetic wax... the style made me think of Diane Ackerman's writing style, which I am not at all a fan of.
Sharen
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one didn't impress me as much as her first book had. I found myself reading just to get through it, hoping that I'd get a laugh or feel something from this book. There were one or two amusing stories, a couple of touching ones, but the majority of them just did not resonate with me.
Linda Chrisman
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I DO love this woman - I have my "shawl of shame", a yarn stash my family would be aghast at (if they realized the size of it), and my favorite yarn store ( Reverie - not the snooty one in my town.) Hail Stephanie, who understands that this knitting addiction is a good thing!
Bonnie
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Not something you read all at once. This is a series of short entertaining essays, so it was hard to get into the book as a whole; however, it is redeemed by the majority of the essays (only a few seemed like filler). I'll certainly be passing this on to a knitting friend!
Beverly
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is more substantive than her previous books. She focuses on people more than on the craft of knitting. She is a humorous writer, but her style wears on you after a while.
Becca
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Somehow this just wasn't as good as her previous book of essays. I thought the stories were interesting, but they weren't as personal and touching. Maybe it was just my mood and the intense jet lag.
Nicolette Kernohan
Free-range knitter is a humorous mix of articles on knitters, knitting and related topics, by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.

This is the second book of knitting essays by New York Times best seller, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, who is also known as the Yarn Harlot in her popular blog of the same name. Her first also is called Yarn Harlot. Although I have been a keen reader of her blog, this is the first time that I have reviewed any of her books.

Free-range knitter is divided into seven sections, each with a
Kerry
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free Range Knitter is yet another great collection of essays about life, love and knitting by Stephanie Pearl McPhee (a.k.a. The Yarn Halot). By now, it should go without saying that Stephanie’s writing is witty and funny and thoroughly enjoyable and this book is no exception.

I was fascinated by a running series of essays that reflected on the way several people in Stephanie’s life knit, their motions and the way they approached it, and how it reflected something about their lives or
Bonnie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
I let this book sit on my shelf for two or three years before I cycled back into a knitting phase. I go through periods where I don't knit for years, in between periods of knitting obsessively. But since knitting has been consuming my mind lately, I thought, "What if there was a book I could read about knitting that was neither a book of patterns, nor a lame chick lit knitting fiction?" And this book came to the rescue.
So, the first half of this book, I was thinking, okay, this is entertaining,
Jessica
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admittedly have struggled to finish a book in far too long. I picked up this book because I knew I liked Stephanie's blog, and this book is very much in the spirit of her blog. It's an orderly collection of essays, sketches, and possibly a short story or two. Knitting is so much a part of Stephanie's professional and personal life that it feels like in all of her writing, knitting is a gateway to understanding-kind of the standard analogy or metaphor she uses throughout her writing (and I ...more
Jill Benson
I love crochet and knitting and hearing someone else talk about their life as a knitter was great. While most of the stories do revolve around knitting and what it has taught her about life, Stephanie does have some stories that really are not about that and more about her family or philosophizing. The book is funny and rings true, but after a while, it seemed a little self important. I don't know if that is the right word, but it started to seem repetitive to me and I sort of had to force ...more
Emily
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually forgot I read this in passing several months ago. For some odd reason, I didn't enjoy it very much. I wanted to like it, I wanted to LOVE it and be inspired to knit myself a body suit but alas, I just could not relate to one Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I picked up several books from my knitting group up in Boston, I was so discouraged by this one I hadn't gotten around to any of the others.
Cupcakencorset
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Harlot book to date. I loved her essays, which cover funny, touching, practical and personal topics. While many of the characters/people she writes about are unique to her world, they are tenderly captured in such a way that I wish they were in my world too. Thanks, Stephanie, for such a good book. It was a Christmas gift I bought myself a few months ago, so I made myself wait until this week to read it. It will be one of my favorite Christmas presents for a long time.
Zoe
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting, comedy
Unlike Knitting Rules, there are no patterns here, just essays about the life of a knitter. Many are, even when the author strays from the knitting topic, laugh out loud funny. But sometimes, she ruminates on things that are very big picture, such as why so many who don't knit seem to be under the impression that knitters are dim witted, simply because they follow a 'domestic pursuit'?

All in all, good fun, but probably only if you are a knitter.
Lara
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book of essays from the Yarn Harlot, Free Range Knitter returns to the format that best showcases the author's talents. As always, her essays are funny, poignant, and most of all real. I have found that some of her writing can wear thin after you've read as much as I have, but this book stands out as having more meat and less fat. These new essays touch the heart and amuse in a way that repeated jokes cannot, no matter how funny they may have been the first time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting
  • The Curse of the Boyfriend Sweater: Essays on Crafting
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club, #1)
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 8
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 9
  • A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living with, and Letting go of Yarn
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 7
  • Pearl's Secret: A Black Man's Search for His White Family
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls, Vol. 4
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (better known as the Yarn Harlot) is a prolific knitter, writer and blogger known for her humorous but always insightful anecdotes and stories about knitting triumphs and tragedies.