Start by marking “The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group” as Want to Read:
The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group

(Paranormal Support Groups #2)

When Tobias Richard Vandevelde wakes up in hospital with no memory of the night before, his horrified mother tells him that he was found unconscious. At Featherdale wildlife Park. In a dingo pen.

He assumes that his two rambunctious best friends are somehow responsible, until he discovers that they're just as freaked out as he is. Then the mysterious Reuben turns up, claimi
Published April 4th 2011 by Houghton Mifflin (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group, please sign up.
keikii Eats Books In my opinion, no. You'll perhaps get more out of it if you read the first, since a lot of the characters there appear up here, and it is a bit of a c…moreIn my opinion, no. You'll perhaps get more out of it if you read the first, since a lot of the characters there appear up here, and it is a bit of a continuation of part of the story from the first, however I would say this can be read completely standalone.(less)

Start your review of The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
Vinaya
They say one picture is worth a thousand words. So here's one picture...

Photobucket

And now, for the thousand words...

In a fight between the Abused Werewolves and the Reformed Vampires, the werewolves would get their asses handed to them. On a plate. With gravy. The Abused Werewolves Rescue Group comes nowhere close to the kitschy coolness that was The Reformed Vampire Support Group. For one thing, this book reads like it's written for a much younger audience. The protagonist himself is only thirteen. N
Sana
DNF at page 132

I really am not all that compelled to read this. Why was I forcing myself to turn those boring pages???

Toby was our dumb and manipulative 13 year old protagonist. He literally did whatever Fergus told him to do and could not think for himself. Fergus was super annoying, always trying to do things that would get them in trouble.

The werewolf subject was just meh. It didn't capture my attention. It was so bleh. I can't even describe my feelings using proper words. XD
Norma
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series. I did not get the chance to read the first book. There were a few places where they referenced things that happened. But it wasn’t necessary to read the first one in order to understand this book.

First off, I thought that the characters were pretty weak. Toby was supposed to be thirteen, but for much of the book he was characterized as a much younger boy. His mom might as well just been holding her hands over her ears shouting “la la la I can’t hear you” for
Elliot
Mar 29, 2020 marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I am DNFing a book. Let's all be proud of me! I made it a 100 pages in and this is just way too middle grade for me. I don't like the writing style nor the main character and I just don't care what happens.
Crowinator
Paula Weston
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-paranormal
These days, much of the popular paranormal fiction on YA shelves seems to be almost exclusively targeted at female audiences.

Teenage boys, however, can be thankful Catherine Jinks hasn’t forgotten them, following up her offbeat novel The Reformed Vampire Support Group (TRVSG) with another cool offering, The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group.

While the TRVSG was told from vampire Nina’s perspective, her latest novel is told through the eyes of 13-year-old Toby, who learns the hard way that his onset of
Alex Garcia
Feb 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
Couldn't do it. Couldn't finish it, even with a couple chapters left.

I looooved the first story. This one also had a lot of promise, but it just dragged too long in parts and that ending is just terrible.

For a series about werewolves, there was only a lot of mentioning about werewolves. The cover also is deceiving because the character is 13. I assume that they're trying to represent Reuben with the cover, but even then they should have represented that younger character.

There's mainly just som
Jon
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Not for me
Amy L. Campbell
Note: Review copy provided by Netgalley.

I was hoping for something that took itself a little less seriously, instead I got a fairly typical coming of age story with vampires and werewolves tacked on and little extra added melodrama. It even came completely with a Jerry Springer-like Afterthoughts tacked on. Toby isn't a particularly interesting character and he sometimes comes off sounding more like a 13-year-old girl than a 13-year-old boy, maybe the 13-year-old inner monologues all sound the s
Cristy
THE ABUSED WEREWOLF RESCUE GROUP is the second read of its kind for me and I have to admit it was a notch (even if only a small notch, a notch none the less) above its predecessor, THE REFORMED VAMPIRE SUPORT GROUP. Weather the mild betterment is truly due to an improvement in writing or has more to do with the fact that the werewolves were just far less depressing then the weak and sorely pathetic vampires, is a tough call to make.

Most of the original cast returns as secondary characters along
Kate
I read this ARC via NetGalley.

Toby recently blacked out and woke up in a dingo pen. While the doctors try to determine whether or not Toby has epilepsy and his mother interrogates him about drug use, Toby receives a letter from a priest who has a totally different theory about Toby's blackout: he's a werewolf.

At first Toby and his mother think the priest and his friend Reuben (who also claims to be a werewolf) are crazy. Toby and his two friends go out of their way to capture Reuben's crazy theo
Beckiezra
This probably deserves 3.5 stars, I enjoyed it more than average but it didn't wow me. I'm not very consistent in my star ratings...

I read this rather quickly for me and I enjoyed the idea but I wasn't thrilled with the main character and just before the actual excitement started half way or more through the book I found myself wondering what the point of this was. I didn't want to follow the adventures of a 13 year old in pulling pranks and making messes, I wanted to know about werewolves!

After
Melissa Elgersma
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
We meet Toby the day he woke up naked and alone in a dingo pen at the local nature park. He is in the hospital with no memory of what happened. The doctors are talking epilepsy when a mysterious note shows up on his pillow that offers an explaination. The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group is the follow up book to Catherine Jinks's Reformed Vampire Support Group. After leaving the hospital, Toby gets two visitors, Father Ramon and Reuben, who claim to know what Toby really is.

While Toby has a hard ti
Christine Edison
Toby has accepted that on Monday night, he somehow got out of his house, lost all of his clothes and wound up in the dingo pen of a local nature reserve. Did he have an epileptic attack, as his doctor thinks? Did he do drugs, as his mother suspects? Or is he becoming a werewolf, as his new acquaintance Reuben claims? Toby's friends Fergus and Amin want to trick Rueben and his support team, but Toby suspects Reuben's right. He just doesn't want to believe it.

This book frustrates me, perhaps becau
Nicole Edwards
This was pretty entertaining. I liked the humor. So much humor. Love that. And it was a fresh take on the whole werewolf thing: Kids being kidnapped for blood sport? Interesting. Oh, and it was set in Australia. So that was fun.

Here's the thing: This book was written for boys. I bet pre-teen boys would love it with all the idiotic boy-things these kids do and the main character being a 13-year-old boy. Seriously, teenage and pre-teen boys are gonna love it!

It just wasn't for me so much. While
Lindsay
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vamps R Us
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The action is full speed, pedal to the metal. The motivations of the kidnappers are frighteningly plausible. I was working through escape plans and possiblities right along with Toby, Reuben, and the crew. I even found myself with a decent sized crush on Reuben...not quite sure if the author intended for him to appeal to readers this way...but heck, I am not complaining. I'd like to see Jink's write a paranormal romance with characters as strong and emotionally scarred as Reuben. ;p

See full revi
Victoria Larroque
This book had a promising beginning as it was funny and didn't take itself too seriously. However, towards the middle of the book I felt like the story dragged on way too long. Furthermore, it didn't have a conclusive ending, I feel like it was sort of rushed. At the end I was so unmotivated I ended up skimming the last few pages.
~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson
check out my review on paranormal-romancejunkies.webs.com or type in nocturen reads!!!
Maree Kimberley
Catherine Jinks has written some brilliant, imaginative and haunting young adult novels. This isn't one of them.
Missie Kay
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jinks' signature dry wit makes this book great fun to read.
Sally
Audio - voice drew me in.

James
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys
The werewolf part was less interesting than the innate Australian-ness of the book.

Took forever to finish because it never hooked me.

Overall, well-written, but for my tastes...blah.
Disuno
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I see that a few people didn't actually finish this book so for those of you who are curious about how the book ended but don't want to pick it up again here's what you missed:

(view spoiler)
Holly Kench
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I’ve been looking forward to reading “The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group” for a while now. I really enjoyed Catherine Jinks’ previous related story “The Reformed Vampire Support Group,” and was intrigued to see how she would follow it up.

“The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group”, however, was so much more than I’d anticipated.

It is the story of Toby (or Tobias), a teenage boy who wakes up one day in the local wildlife park’s dingo pen. With no idea how he got there, Toby assumes his friends were playing
Perch
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a direct sequel to Reformed Vampire Support Group and directly follows the events of the first book. You can probably still read it on its own, but the first one really sets up the world and mythos. That leaves room for this one to focus on expanding on that set up and mythos. Most telling, this time the main character is both younger and a boy and depending on how you feel about Toby will color how you feel about the overall story. I personally disliked him intensely, but I did remember ...more
Leah Zheng
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kari
Sep 27, 2017 marked it as couldnt-finish-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, youth, werewolves
I initially checked this book out because I thought it would be YA, which can be interesting. The synopsis also sounded like a different take on the typical werewolf story, and I like werewolf stories well enough.

However, our MC is only 13, and kind of an idiot, and within the first few chapters the only real questions posed within the story can be answered with 'yer a werewolf, Toby'.

I don't really have any desire to read a YA YOUTH novel about a 13-year old boy who's a werewolf, but doesn't r
Iris
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

• Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville, #5)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville, #4)
  • Juliet Immortal (Juliet Immortal, #1)
  • Map of Fates (The Conspiracy of Us, #2)
  • Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond (The Hollows, #10.1)
  • Second Star To The Right
  • The Fox Inheritance (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #2)
  • A Salty Piece of Land
  • Trump Revealed: An American Journey of Ambition, Ego, Money, and Power
  • The First Family Detail: Secret Service Agents Reveal the Hidden Lives of the Presidents
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Prom Nights from Hell
  • The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)
  • Frankie the Ferret
Catherine Jinks is the Australian author of more than thirty books for all ages. She has garnered many awards, including the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Award(three times), the Victorian Premier’s Award, the Aurealis Award for Science Fiction, the Australian Ibby Award, and the Davitt Award for Crime Fiction. Her work has been published in Australia, New Zealand, Britain, ...more

Paranormal Support Groups (2 books)
  • The Reformed Vampire Support Group

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...