Start by marking “El lenguaje del cuerpo” as Want to Read:
El lenguaje del cuerpo

El lenguaje del cuerpo

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  1,131 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Based on the premise that the movements of the body are the projection of a person's deepest and most private thoughts and feelings, this breakdown of movement creates a comprehensive analysis of the body's silent language. This scientific approach to body language argues that movement and gesture—signals constantly emitted by the human body—can be interpreted and understo ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Editorial Kairos (first published August 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about El lenguaje del cuerpo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El lenguaje del cuerpo

A.
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The questions printed on the cover of this book is the reason for which I bought this book….and I did not find the answers in any page.

I guess this book’s body language is misleading.

As the writer stated at the end “Body language as a science is in its infancy, but this book has explored some of the ground rules…”
It’s an introductory book in body language, so don’t expect it to quench your thirst in this field.
Jerry
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who suck at Charades.
Recommended to Jerry by: Dave
This book is groundbreaking... if you read it 40 years ago. Now, it's just filled with obvious observations that any half-way paying attention person can make like, "If a woman is frowning then she may--or may not--be upset." Ok, maybe the book isn't that obvious, but you don't really want me to spoil all of it for you, do you?

But I do want to thank Julius Fast for giving me the line, "Nah, baby, I wasn't staring. I was just admiring your particular mode of nonverbal communication. It's very in
Caroline Åsgård
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really have to say, this book interested me a lot! The power of body language is much stronger than I thought, and now I have learned so much about interpreting it and being aware of what one does - and that your body can say the opposite of what is coming out of your mouth!

If you're interested in people and culture, this is really a book you should check out. It's not long, and isn't written in a heavy, scientific matter.

Now as I've moved from Norway to Florida to work at the Epcot world show
Noor
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book has really opened my eyes to help be build my confidence and think twice before i do a certain action however the probably with body language is interpretation and personality traits that could lead misunderstanding of certain gestures. Other than that great book!
David
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dave
Shelves: nonfiction
As an undergraduate, I took a course called Reading People and Places. We read a lot of Roland Barthes. We wandered (or, rather, walked briskly) around DC and looked at architecture. We looked at pictures of fashion models in magazines and read elaborate descriptions of the meanings of men's suits. And at some point we learned about the work of Dr. Edward Hall and his theory of "proxemics," or how men use space to communicate with each other. I learned a great deal from that class, though I don' ...more
Emma Brown
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you want a book that tells you why you should learn body language, you've found what you're looking for — otherwise, this is a waste of your time.

I saved this book from being thrown away because I hoped I could glean some useful information about how to read (and, I confess, manipulate) body language. The questions on the cover suggested that the book would offer some helpful insight.

Unfortunately, the questions were a mere ploy to whet one's curiosity, not an actual offer to supply the answe
Raghid
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julius Fasts ’’The Body language’’ is very simple. It simply provides a very simple introduction to the world of the ’’Body language’’. It is very simple and ‘’light’’ and nothing to complicated or overworked and the reason to that is perhaps that this field - the body language - was, upon the books release (1970), new. It was emerging.

Julius Fast basically gives you the basics - the ''easy'' introduction to the body language - and in the process he does discuss some good points regarding the b
Raquel Pimentel
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This is indeed a very interesting book. The subject covered in this book was not very developed at this time. With the evolution of communication (non-verbal), society has learned to understand the language of the body. But in reality, people still do not master this matter. The body speaks, and speaks truth, without our consent. Experts can discover truths through people's behavior and gestures. It is a very useful science in many professions. I have already published some articles (in Portugue ...more
Shaikha_a_140514
It was interesting to read this book that really helps in our life and social one specifically . the writer previews Dr's opinions and studies about every movement we do and what does it mean in the body language . one of them says that if you were in a cafe and choose to set in the middle of an empty table , means that your body is saying " I don't want to share the table with anyone "
Ilze
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do I do with my hands??!!
Someone said I should keep an eye on my mother ... but that's the last person I want to be like ... so, having discovered a slick way out of my teenage conundrum, I read this book, which was neatly hidden in mom's bookshelf!
Natalie
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the 4th edition (1971) and the cover was way more bitchin.

It has some serious "pc" issues, but served as an "at hand" (purchased used because the jacket is hilarious) introduction.

I'm sure there's a way better resource out there.
Andrew Childers
With reference to research, real life situations, and reasoning the authors attempt to describe what we know about human practice in proxemics, face, ritual, expression, and motion. This book, well, was written in the 70s (while reading I came across things that caused me to check this fact more than once), and it seems that there's little concern for the type of political correctness I experience now on a daily basis. Quite a bit of the book was entertaining to read, but I question the validity ...more
Brooklyn Otis
Aug 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from a friend of mine who was giving things away before moving. I asked her afterward if she had read it. She responded that she hadn't gotten very far into it but couldn't remember why. I pointed out some rather disturbing pieces of sexism in the book and then she remembered. She apologized for not throwing it away instead of giving it away. At one point the author makes a middle aged man into a victim because he treated a young woman like a piece of meat and she gave him a a pi ...more
Shara
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most common criticisms in writing workshops is there are too many smiling and eye verbs. What’s that? For those of you not in the know, it boils down to the fact that if there’s a gesture, the character usually smiles, or “does something” with his/her eyes. Narrowed eyes, glanced away, stared, etc. Any verb your eyes can do, or any description of eyes (fire raged within) falls under this category.[return][return]The reason writers do this is simple: we’re in the age of film. Movies an ...more
Brenda
I didn't care much for it. It told me a great deal about the science of body language. However for me all those questions on the cover will still be unanswered at the end. It was very dry. It will be going to charity.
Bob Nichols
Fast's book, now very old (1971), provides an overview of the then emerging field of body language ("A science called Kinesics"). The book's organization is somewhat haphazard, with intermingled discussion about inner states that manifest themselves in body language and, from the reverse perspective, body language that reveals signals about internal states. A subtext to this book is not just what one can learn by observing, but also what body signals one can employ for more effective social inte ...more
Abhinav
Speaking of simple body movements, giving them a evolutionarily historical perspective, elaborating the relevance of these movements in the current "civilized" society and much more, JF does a great job in explaining the theoretical origins of body language. Despite being amongst the first few books on this subject, the content remains totally contemporary. The book only falls short regarding the updation of many findings that have been uncovered by ever-enthusiastic researchers within the past ...more
Craig Adamson
The book was written in 1970 so was interesting to read about the various social settings (such as a therapist smoking while talking to her patient) and social strata were described. Other than that, I didn't get that much out of the book. Maybe the discussions and theories presented were groundbreaking at the time, but I found the book wanting for information and heft. Easily read it in a few hours on a plane. Kind of disappointing really. I would not read it again. But enjoyed the conversation ...more
Anna
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2016
a classic about body language.
i learned to decipher and express body language from this book when i was a teen. so to a certain degree there has never been any spontaneity or naturalness in deciphering or expressing it.

now i re-read it as an audiobook and it's every bit as good. it'll be read again and again, as i try to learn to better decipher people's body language and intentions from voice alone.
David Ward
Body Language by Julius Fast (Pocket Books 1970) (153.0). The premise of this book is that one's body sends out subconscious signals all the time, and that one's true thoughts and feelings can easily be decoded by one who knows how to read “body language.” It's hard to believe now that this was new knowledge in the 1970's! My rating: 7/10, finished 1972.
Rian Nejar
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An informative, enlightening, easy-to-read book on the developing science of kinesiology or communication through bodily movements and expressions. A must read for the active social communicator. First published three and a half decades ago, this book continues to remain useful as a refresher in practical application of this essential skill.
Deejay Nicke
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that raises more questions than it answers. It's designed to pique your curiosity, not satisfy it.

This book will equip you with the foundation to go out and do your own experiments and observations. The book still hasn't been written on body language, so get out there and learn the language!
Jeff
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
1st Read: May 13, 1996 - May 16, 1996
Considering when this had first arrived in bookstores and the people that bought and read it, it must have been a game changer for the pick up artists and swingers!
There were interesting ideas and situations in the book. For the most part, nearly everything in here is second nature by today's standards.
Brandi
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Actual rating: 3.5

It's crazy to think that we only began to seriously look into and study body language in the 1970's, and not far earlier. You would think that body language, or 'the science of kinesics', would have been studied earlier, especially when you consider that humans have been living on this planet and interacting with each other for at least two millennia.
Jaime Contreras
This is one of the seminal books on the subject of who we transmit messages using our body. Parts of the book need to updated with the new research on para-messaging, how we say things. The body language is impacted by this. Still, this is a vital book for anyone with an interest in non-verbal communication.
Glanda
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not recommended... Maybe the content is too old...
Sidney
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really helped me to read the little gestures and signs people give off. Considering that human communication is over 80% body language this book was a must. A solid read that definitely hit its mark. Great tips to think about especially when in an interview or talking to someone of authority in your life.
Ikey Benney
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember many years ago when Julius fast published this book, I read it and it was very exciting learning how to know the thoughts of others by recognizing certain body postures. I highly recommended it!
Joanne G.
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I found this fascinating at the time. It helped to "read" people. I still use what I learned from this book. I can't remember if the book was well written or factual, but I know I was given knowledge that I hadn't considered before.
Cris
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
More about the *study* of body language, than an key to *understanding* body language. And you can tell this book was orginally published in 1970 from some of the examples and the language. It was okay, but not what I was looking for.
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • The Art of SpeedReading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • Frogs Into Princes
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation
  • Handwriting Analysis: Putting It to Work for You
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • The Big Book Of NLP Techniques: 200+ Patterns & Strategies of Neuro Linguistic Programming
  • Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self-Deception
  • The Secret Language of Business: How to Read Anyone in 3 Seconds or Less
  • Body Language (Need to Know?)
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • Body Language: How to Read Others' Thoughts by Their Gestures
  • Intimate Behavior: A Zoologist's Classic Study of Human Intimacy
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women
  • The Power of Persuasion: How We′re Bought and Sold
Julius Fast was an American author of both fiction and nonfiction. In 1946 he was the first recipient of the Edgar Award given by the Mystery Writers of America for the best first novel of 1945.
More about Julius Fast...