Start by marking “Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)” as Want to Read:
Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)

Wolfheart

(World of Warcraft #10)

In the wake of the Cataclysm, conflict has engulfed every corner of Azeroth. Hungering for more resources amid the turmoil, the Horde has pressed into Ashenvale to feed its burgeoning war machine. There, acting warchief Garrosh Hellscream has employed a brutal new tactic to conquer the region and crush its night elf defenders, a move that will cripple the Alliance's power ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Wolfheart, please sign up.
Dan This book isn't part of a series, so it's a good standalone read. The more you read in the Warcraft the universe, the more context each story has. The…moreThis book isn't part of a series, so it's a good standalone read. The more you read in the Warcraft the universe, the more context each story has. The more Warcraft books I read, the better they are.(less)

Start your review of Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Wolfheart (World of Warcraft #10), Richard A. Knaak
In the wake of the Cataclysm, conflict has engulfed every corner of Azeroth. Hungering for more resources amid the turmoil, the Horde has pressed into Ashenvale to feed its burgeoning war machine. There, acting warchief Garrosh Hellscream has employed a brutal new tactic to conquer the region and crush its night elf defenders, a move that will cripple the Alliance’s power throughout the World of Warcraft. ...
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز نوزدهم ماه
Markus
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, warcraft, 2016
Garrosh Hellscream, newly appointed Warchief of the Horde, is preparing a grand invasion of Ashenvale while Tyrande Whisperwind is desperately struggling to preserve the unity of the Alliance. The induction of the worgen of Gilneas is under threat by the unforgiving animosity of Varian Wrynn, King of Stormwind.

Wolfheart might just be the best book I've read from Richard A. Knaak. The writing is better and it provides an insight into many minor aspects of Warcraft lore that I'm glad to have.

And
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'm sure I've said before that I would never read another World of Warcraft book by Richard A. Knaak, and yet here we are once again. I guess I just never learn my lesson.

Of course, I had my reservations, but my interest in the game's lore and characters won out in the end, especially since I discovered from the title and description that this book was going to be focused on King Varian Wrynn. I never really cared much for him as an in-game NPC, but after reading the World of Warcraft comics he
Allie
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
The title's a bit misleading, as I was expecting the story to revolve around the worgen, when in fact this was a very heavily Night Elf-based story..even though it's technically about King Varian Wrynn.

I'm mixed on whether I actually liked this novel, versus liking it purely because of its rich involvement of the Night Elves (of whom I'm very fond of). While I enjoyed the overall concept of the story, I feel Knaak majorly lacked ability at portraying the characters' personalities. Being a
Rachel
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warcraft
Another audible.com audio book here. Yay!

When you see the title Wolfheart, coupled with piercing human eyes, you think "My name is Varian Wrynn, but I am also Lo'Gosh." And you would be right, except Varian's story is not the plot of this book. The plot is the Horde's encroachment into the Night Elves' Ashenvale led by Garrosh Hellscream. Varian is a major player and even the key to saving Ashenvale, but he is in the book much less than one would think. Varian's story is more focused on his
Dottie
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I like Varian Wyrnn much better after this book.
Esmée van der Weide
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“My name is Varian Wrynn, but I am also Lo’Gosh.”

This book actually has a funny story behind it. I wanted to give my boyfriend a copy of this book for our one-month anniversary as I knew he wanted this book for a while yet. Ofcourse, as a fellow Warcraft fan, I ordered a second copy for myself with it. My idea was that when we both finished reading, we could talk about the plot and details and more. This was well over a year ago and he still hasn’t read it, though I don’t blame him as he isn’t a
Nate
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book that that I have read that is also a game. The Warcraft book series have always been one of my favorite and what got me into trying the game and I have played the game since 2008. Wolfheart is my favorite because it has all of my favorite races of the game in it, the night elves, humans, and worgens. This book is for people that have played the game and want to know more about it and for the people that haven't played the game and find an interest to from this book.
Mohamed
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While the World of Warcraft books never really set the bar (or even approached it) when it comes to fantasy writing, this one is amongst the better, more engaging ones. It really speaks volumes when someone who's a big fan of the Horde such as I would be engrossed in the happenings of the war in Ashenvale and cheering for the hapless Night Elves. A most worthwhile read.
Shirosaki Ogihci
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was intresting that they brought the worgan in as the enemy at first, not giving many hits that it really was a worgan. Though I wish they would've spent less time focusing in on the night elves, overall, it was a rather enjoyable book.
Khristie
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Richard A. Knaak did not lose my interest w/ this novel. :)
Candace
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another good book I read entirely too fast.
Dana
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. My first WoW lore book and I have to say it was really interesting delving into the lives and history's of the characters I've come to know by name only.
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
Better than I expected it to be.
Full review to come.
Jack Leone
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great Warcraft book, Nice to finally see Varian King of Storwind in all his glory.
Astrid
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on recommendation from a huge Varian Wrynn fan [so huge, that she's since quit the game after his untimely demise on the Broken Shore in-game]. I have to say I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, other than it featured him at some point [she was clear he wasn't around from the off], however, I really did enjoy reading it. I enjoyed reading all the Night Elven bits, and picked up a few tidbits of information that I didn't realise [such as Shandris Feathermoon being in love ...more
Jaime  ( Chicken Mama )
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love audiobooks, I can listen while I am at work.
Răzvan Balașov II
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Following Malfurion's drugged odyssey in Stormrage, this Varian Wrynn -almost- full head-on action is just exactly what I needed.
Chad Kosch
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, I am not a fan of Alliance themed stories, but I can't deny that this book had it's highlights. Set in the era of the Cataclysm, this book focus's on the growth of King Varian as a king, Genn Greymane and the Worgon coming into the Alliance, as well as the night elves coming to terms with being mortal. Overall this was a four star book. :)
Ryan Cunningham
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wolfheart, by Richard A. Knaak is a fantasy novel and a great book to read. Instead of the usual action-based approach this series takes, the main plot of this story is a mystery. Of course, there is still some fight scenes inside the book but it is not the main plot. This story follows the night elves, who are struggling to hold back the Horde in Ashenvale as they chop down the forest to harvest wood for themselves and dealing with a mysterious assassin who is killing highborne, former high ...more
Mostafa
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
When Thrall left the horde to heal the world, Garrosh, son of Grom HellScream became warchief and start an attack to Ashneval. Furion and Tyrande was trying to gather the alliance and re-unite them, but Varian Wrynn, king of Stromwind denied joining Worgen of Gilneas to the alliance.

There is no much history about this clan, but it seems that they were infected by forsaken (Sylvanas) and became wolves. Then they found a way to control their anger and found tranquility, with the help of Furion,
Kae
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Definitely one of Knaak's better Warcraft novels. The prose seems less flowery and the characterizations a bit more dimensional. The action scenes were too long in some cases but not as bad as usual.

I wasn't expecting this novel to be so focused on the night elves, given the title of "Wolheart". I found it interesting seeing the night elves begin to deal with their mortality. The entire battle setup in Ashenvale rather bored me though.

This novel brought together almost all the Alliance leaders
Jeremy
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Warcraft Universe fans
My opinion on this book is somewhat divided. I enjoyed the exploration of the Night Elves shift in culture on the heels of becoming mortal after thousands of years of relative immortality (never sickening or growing frail due to age and infirmity, with only violence possibly ending their lives). It was interesting seeing how they coped with the first death due to age and infirmity amongst their race, this on the heels of a cultural shift ending their self-imposed exile from the world at large.

On
Dustin Ogan
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this book is great for a very particular audience. That being those that play or have played World of Warcraft the past couple of years. Being familiar with the main characters and their depictions made it a lot easier to follow and visualize what was going on or who was speaking. Because they all have in game representations a google search can give you most of the creatures and figures mentioned.

The book itself has 3-4 slightly related plot lines going on. A brother and sister
Michael Alexander
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, video-games
I tend to really enjoy the Warcraft books. The game world, by design, has to be rather static, to enable everyone to experience the same content. The books are nice because you get to see the story of WoW actually moving forward.
This particular book dealt mainly with the Night Elves, and an Orcish incursion into Ashenvale. After watching Thrall lead the Horde for so long with a message of peace and tolerance, it is kind of hard to get used to Garrosh Hellscream's much more militant approuch. To
Nicole
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolfheart was packed full of lore with lots of characters and action. It took me almost a month to read Wolfheart which surprised me since I am pretty up to date on World of Warcraft lore however I had to look up several minor characters to keep up with everything going on. This kind of annoyed me at times so I would put down Wolfheart and not go back to it for several days.

I wanted more about King Varian and from the title I assumed he would take center stage but I was mistaken. Instead the
Theresa
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Richard A. Knaak are you trying to kill me? I feel sure more people than I have said that to him. Some of them probably to his face.

Goodness, this whole entire book was filled with calamity. Everything was going wrong in monstrous proportions. The Horde was killing everyone in sight. Varian Wrynn was angry enough for an entire army. The Highborne were being hunted and slaughtered. Ugh. It was a pretty rough read for me.

Then Anduin left.

Anyone who has ever read a Richard A. Knaak book knows the
Kevin
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think I gave this book a higher rating based solely on the fact that it wasn't the book I had just previously finished reading. That said, this was an enjoyable book. Sure, it's an easy read, but it's exactly what I wanted and expected when I picked it up. There were some parts of the book that bothered me: (view spoiler) ...more
Ken
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a WoW player, I love reading how things tie in together. Whether it's lore of how things came to be long ago, stories of current important characters, or information leading up to why things are changing, it all makes the game more enjoyable. To be able to immerse yourself further into a book, because you are more familiar with places and characters, makes it that much more enjoyable for me.

I loved the writing style of Richard Knaak in this story. New characters were very well developed, old
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • Warcraft: Durotan
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 3
  • Curse of the Worgen (World of Warcraft)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Warcraft: Death Knight
  • World of Warcraft: Paragons
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Warcraft Official Movie Novelization
  • Halo: The Cole Protocol
  • Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade (Assassin's Creed, #3)
  • Halo: Contact Harvest
  • The Heart of Hell
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, the Dragonrealm and Black City Saint series (his own creations), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written several non-series fantasy books.

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)