Start by marking “The Expendable Man” as Want to Read:
The Expendable Man

The Expendable Man

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"This book is thrilling and chilling." says reader. Nick Grocchi, who has been sentenced to prison in Turkmenistan for a crime he did not commit, wakes up in a hospital in the U.S. where he's about to be subjected to an ultra-experimental genetic protocol in attempt to save his life.

Yet, if the treatment cures him, not only does he face being sent back to Turkmenistan to f
Published February 24th 2011 by Expendable Man Publishing (first published January 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Expendable Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expendable Man

Terri Lynn
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The author of this excellent thriller is also my Goodreads friend Peter Pollak and he gave me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Those who know me here know that is the only kind of review I give and I do not hesitate to tear apart an awful book by even a best selling author I tend to love.

I read a lot in the mystery/suspense/thriller genre and it is a personal favorite. This book kept me glued to my seat racing along with my heart pounding to see what would happen next.

The
Judy
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was into the story from the first page. I liked the dated "chapters" and found it easy to follow from one exotic place (Ashgabat, Turkmenistan) and not so exotic (D.C. and Albany, NY). I recommend it to anyone who likes a political "thriller". I even recommend it for our book club where 8 out of ten people usually like a book with only 2 disgruntled readers Disgruntled but with something to say in any case. Nick Grocchi (what a name) is a likable character.
Peggy Bechko
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
For those who enjoy thrillers, this is a great book. It was recommended to me and I'm glad I got it for my kindle reader on impulse. The plot was fast-paced, not losing my interest. Characters were interesting. A grab you by the lapels and keep you reading kind of book. I'd most definitely recommend it. I'll look forward to another book by Peter Pollak
Peter
May 04, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my first novel and again I'm not going to rate it. However, if you haven't read you may be interested to learn that I've lowered the price for the paperback edition to $11.99. My agreement with my printer requires me to charge at least that amount (rounded up to ninety-nine cents).

The Expendable Man is available in print from bookstores in Tucson, Denver, Albany (NY), Schenectady and Johnstown (NY). Links are on my website -- www.petergpollak.com.

It's also available from the Amazon and B
Steve Wilson
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Melinda
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The Expendable Man is true to its genre – it is a thrill a minute. One fast pace read, you will be completely absorbed by this intriguing story.

I enjoyed several features of Pollak’s novel. I was caught up in the swiftness of the narrative, very fast moving story which adds to the subdued excitement. Having the government/political facet and the main protagonist of savvy and sharp businessman Nick Grocchi created a interesting angle. Grocchi is calm and intelligent, mysterious but basically a s
T. Bakutis
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read mysteries, but I enjoyed this book quite a bit. In particular, I liked that Mr. Pollak stayed away from most of the cliches often seen in mysteries and thrillers. While the events in this book are set in motion by a government conspiracy (which are generally a dime a dozen) in this case the conspiracy isn't all that thought out or really well planned. Essentially, one bureaucratic screw up leads to another which leads to really, really bad time for the protagonist. I liked t ...more
Claudia Mosey
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, own
1/21/12 I received "Expandable Man",free,from author! I totally enjoyed reading this book.The plot was good,characters easy to follow,and I just had to know how it would end.I read it in one setting.I thought in the beginning it would be more of a "man's reading"A political thriller.American businessman sentenced 7 years in a Turkmenistan prison,he and his co-horts were trying to sell them an airport radar system,with the okay of "State".Russians and Islams ,oh my!.Then our hero develops a horr ...more
Tom Costello
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gripping. On the edge of my seat the last third.
Ilana
Quetzi Fernald
Anneka
Malinda
Jan 13, 2012
I'm passionate about writing stories that readers don't want to put down.

My 6th novel, a political thriller entitled Inauguration Day, was released in November 1, 2017.

My first five novels are:
* The Expendable Man (2011)--a thriller