Start by marking “Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)

Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles #5)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  6,597 Ratings  ·  257 Reviews

With the Earth on the brink of recolonisation by dragons, David Rain is sent on an important mission: to seek out and destroy a trace of dark fire, the deadliest force in the universe. But with success could come a terrible price, the sacrifice of a beloved clay dragon. How much does the life of one small dragon count, when the alternative is the birth of a darkling...?

Published October 7th 2010 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 2009)

Annie/Soul
I'm not sure if I want to finish it or not. After the third book of this series, the plot sort of... fell. I was really upset after David, the main character, died, (hey, I'm not going to add spoilers because if you're reading this review you should have read the other books yourself first before reading this so it's your fault you're shocked. XP) but now he's back and it turns out that David wasn't even human- just a creation made by the fairies... freakish goblins or whatever they were and now ...more
Ellie Brillhart
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ker Malkin
So it had taken me a few days to finally fathom my thoughts about this one. And I've gotta say, this was another bad yet kinda good in some way episode.

The fifth installment of the Last Dragon Chronicles had just gotten a bit darker and actually contained a number of unfortunate demise. But I've only had those doleful moments rather transient 'cause I just wasn't getting it. Not only did it have a BUNCH of plot lines to follow (which you'll be lost wandering in case you had missed something), bu
Amalia
I was eagerly awaiting this book. It was as compelling as the others in the series and had some of the lighter magical appeal of the first but there were some truly frightening scenes in there..

Don't want to give away the ending but it easily opens to a 6th book for this series. Very unsettling end.

I find the spiritual and physics elements of this series very intriguing. The way characters move through time rifts and space is enviable. Just imagine what we could accomplish if we didn't always ha
Anna
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just realised I have in fact read this one aready, but re-read it anyway. I find the dragon names irrtating and I enjoyed this less on a re-read: too much direct speech and not enough narrative. It is a strange series - I becomes more YA as it goes along and some of the ideas and references are quite complicated or sophisticated.
I'm not alays convinced Chris D'Lacey know where his narrative was going to end when he started the series or that might be because I read the first few in the wrong ord
Dayna Smith
The fifth book in the Last Dragon Chronicles. David Rain has returned and so have the dragons. Can David and his friends manage to free the dragons and defeat the Ix before the evil race manages to create a darkling? It's a race against time and the lives of everyone David loves, as well as the planet itself hangs in the balance. This book has much more action than the previous installments. The ending leaves you wondering if there will be a book six.
Isabel
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book in this series I have read recently, so it's the only one I have criticism of. I have come to not like d'Lacey's writing anymore. He adds too many types of animals and connections to the earth in each book, so it's hard to remember every animal in the later books. When I was reading the earlier books, they were so epic because I was a little kid. I never really understood why David did all the crazy things he did.
Preston
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very good book. Action, because there is lots of fighting. Mystery, because there is lots secrets. Comody because of the way they are to each other. I read 6 of the books in this series. One of the best series I had read in a long time. Do you like any type of mystery, action, or comody? Then this is the book for you.
Kevin
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a really good book so far! The only problem for me, was that it's been like a year since I finished reading "The Fire Eternal" so I got confused at times. Other than that, it's really cool how there's all these relationships between humans, dragons, and polar bears! I'm definitely going to read the whole series over again to make everything more clear. Amazing book, hope it's not the last!!
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Well. I am unsure what possessed me to give the fourth book four stars--I must have been in a really good and indulgent mood the day I finished it. I'm going to go and fix that as soon as I finish this. I'm pretty sure I gave the first three books more stars than they deserved too, but that can be put down to my high school naiveté when it came to quality writing.

I'm coming off harsh, aren't I? Perhaps it was reading this too soon after the fourth book that put me over the edge. I somehow manage
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY FAVORITE BOOK OUT OF THE SERIES. All of the details you know comes together but leaves you wanting more in the next book. It shows you the deep and scary things that are behind David's world. Really intense, and is definitely a book for those people like I who LOVE action!
Sarah Thomas
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the whole saga!!!
Jadine
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been over a year since I read the first 4 books on the series but I feel as if the 4th book was an ending and this one just drug the story on, but I could be mistaken on the ending of book 4.
Luna Lovebooks
Unfortunately this review is going to be short and to the point. There isn’t much to say about this book that hasn’t previously been stated. This series has become increasingly young adult and less middle grade. I am not sure how I feel about this as what first drew me to the series years ago was the cute whimsy of the Pennykettle dragons and the shenanigans of Wayward Crescent. There are several (often violent) deaths in this installment that I honestly did not see coming. The cliff hanger endi ...more
Alona
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done!
Byrus
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I started reading these books when I was around 12. I read up to Fire Star and thought that was the end of the series, but when I revisited the books as an adult, it turned out I was wrong. I have mixed feelings about this series as a whole. It has interesting concepts and characters, but the plot gradually became more darker, convoluted and confusing as it went on. Cerebus Syndrome, in other words.

The Fire within was a fun, light-hearted book. I suppose my main gripe about it was that it focuse
Kieran
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan Cichowski
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a fast pass and exciting book to read and always eat me on the edge of my seat.
Brooke
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aj Priebe-Carter
Riya Sheth
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked reading this book. I enjoyed reading this book because I really like reading fantasy, and this book is filled with just that. For example, all throughout the book there are clay dragons that come to life, and have a special ability. Also, because no matter how unrealistic the events in the book seem, the author has a way to make it all seem real. That happens to be something I love when reading fantasy books. For example on pages 17-19, when Lucy was writing her journal entry, the ...more
Ival Crisp
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fifth installment of the Last Dragon Chronicles is assuredly the most action packed so far. There were quite a few events in this book left me excited, yet thoughtful. I find that Chris D'Lacey incorporates his rich stories with fantastical and sometimes mind-boggling ideas which give his overall writing style a unique twist. Indeed, Dark Fire is a perfect example of such.

Throughout the book, the plot of the series is obviously escalating, almost hinting at an extreme future climax. The exci
Sam
In the 5th addition of Chris D’lacey’s series the Last Dragon Chronicles were back in the Pennykettle house. The Pennykettles are descendants of one of the last dragons that died on earth and have the ability or animate clay dragons with the creative energy of their ancestor. Elizabeth Pennykettle her husband Arthur, and her 16 year old daughter Lucy live with Zanna Martindale, the partner of their once tenant David rain, and their daughter Alexa.
Now with David, trained by the fain and dragons,
Jonathan Beckett
Alongside Fire Star this is the one of the best of the series. With the Ix slowly gaining more power and trying thier best to harvest dark fire for thier darklings the plot thickens. So many great things happen at this point in the series it's difficult to comprhend. As usual with most of the series the plot is complex but if you can follow it you are in for an excellent read. The Ix are quite devious villans. In Dark Fire you truly get to see thier ambition and power to achieve thier dark goals ...more
Rhys
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on ThirstforFiction.com

Dark Fire UK Cover

Two days have passed since David last appeared to Zanna and Alexa in the park. Those two days have filled Zanna with a confusion and hatred. Where was he? How did he survive? Who is he? What she does not know, is that David has been entrusted with a mission; a mission that will decide the fate of the universe. He must destroy all traces of the dark fire. But the question is, how much is he willing to risk?

As with the prev
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons, magic, child
Dragons have returned to Earth. They are gathering their resources to fight and hopefully completely destroy the evil IX. David has been sent to recover the last remaining Dark Fire, the one source that could give the IX ultimate power. However, the Dark Fire is part of a beloved Pennykettle dragon. It will take all of their special skills to save the world and the dragons.[return][return]This is the fifth book in the Last Dragon Chronicles. I’m just not enjoying these later stories as much as t ...more
Christa Lane
*Updated version*

So first of let me just say Sqweee! David came back so happy dance!

description

So now the gang is back and Gwilanna contains dark fire with Gwillan's fire tear. It is a powerful weapon that she plans to use to illuminate herself into a dragon. David and Zanna must both work together to stop Gwilanna from giving the Ix the dark fire or darklings will be made.

Like there are so many different things that happen within this that I couldn't wrap my head around it all until a little while after I
Karib
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Last Dragon Chronicles series, but found the book to be rather confusing. Maybe it was all the subplots. I read the book twice before I actually understood it. Also, I feel like far too many characters were added, and not enough time was given to each for me to actually bond to them. After about two chapters, they were either never mentioned again, or killed off in some depressing way. To make things even more confusing, old characters from previous books have become somewhat bland an ...more
Timothy Lee
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mesmerized, reviewed
The Last Dragon Chronicles are based around a man, David Rain, who moves into a house owned by a strange pair, a mother and her daughter, who turn out to be associated with dragons and the legends that include them. As time goes by, David starts to play out a huge role concerning the future of the dragons and other such mystical creatures, discovering his own powers as well as the powers of his family to be truly crucial as to determining the fate of the dragons. "Dark Fire" has David on a missi ...more
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Dark Fire 1 3 Aug 12, 2017 03:13PM
This is a really good ending! 1 9 Jan 18, 2012 10:20PM
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin Saga, #7)
  • Silvertongue (Stoneheart Trilogy, #3)
  • The War of the Ember (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #15)
  • The Rise of the Black Wolf (Grey Griffins, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • The Dragon Diary (Dragonology Chronicles, #2)
  • The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5)
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
He was born in Valetta, Malta, but as a child moved first to Leicester and then to Bolton. After gaining a degree in biology from the University of York, he returned to Leicester and got a job at the University of Leicester in their Pre-Clinical Sciences department.
Originally his writing was confined to songs and he didn't turn to fiction until he was 32. His first piece of work was a 250,000 word
More about Chris d'Lacey...

The Last Dragon Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Fire Star (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Fire Eternal (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Fire World (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #6)
  • The Fire Ascending (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #7)
“she’d wanted to do was shut herself away — and think.” 2 likes