Start by marking “Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant” as Want to Read:
Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant

Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Mission Street Food is a restaurant. But it’s also a charitable organization, a taco truck, a burger stand, and a clubhouse for inventive cooks tucked inside an unassuming Chinese take-out place. In all its various incarnations, it upends traditional restaurant conventions, in search of moral and culinary satisfaction.

Like Mission Street Food itself, this book is more than
Published August 23rd 2011 by McSweeney's (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mission Street Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Street Food

mark monday
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: guidebooks
smart and whimsical and thoroughly enjoyable. it's only half cookbook; the other half is a choppy narrative about striking out on your own with your wife and some friends and just doing something you've always wanted to do, while having fun and giving back to the community. it's delightful. the authors write in a really charming way that made me want to befriend them.

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy many of the pop-up restaurant experiences brought to San Francisco by the authors. the food wa
Rebecca
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Cookbook” doesn’t begin to touch this amazingly honest, engaging, inspiring, and creative narrative about two people, their friends, their perseverance, their sheer luck, and the joy to be had in both dreams and realities.

From flatbreads on a food truck to a full-fledged restaurant, Mission Street Food is a tale told in the words of its two heroes, chef Anthony Myint and his wife, Karen Leibowitz. It is the story of a “start-up” like no other, set on the streets (mainly one street) of San Fra
Alison
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous read! Written in a casual and friendly manner, filled with excellent tips and gorgeous photos, this book is a fantastic buddy with whom to curl up on a sunny afternoon. Anthony Myint and his approach to food and life is inspiring - I only wish I could have experienced some of his previous ventures! I look forward to trying the remaining restaurants that he inspired/started and will definitely keep an ear to the ground regarding upcoming projects.

As a novice foodie, the recipes s
Dan Ryan
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is more than a cookbook. It's more of a hipster foodie Bible. Roughly half of the book is a history of a food truck/pop-up restaurant/restaurant that has closed, and the other half is recipes, and the other 10% is essays at the end that really make the preceding portions sing because they place the whole production in a higher philosophical mode. (Yes, I'm aware that my math doesn't add up, but the book would by typical and whole without the essays.)
James Eckman
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Foodies
This is a bizarre foodie book that is even crazier than usual. A fun and quick read, I burned through it in one sitting. Part of the reason for this is the recipe portion of this book is pretty much worthless for my cooking purposes. If you cook for 10+ people on a regular basis and are into lots of fried or fatty food, you might try some of these. The first portion of the book dedicated to starting and running their various food endeavors is hilarious, though if your squeamish you may want to p ...more
Linda
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the book to read if you've ever thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to open a restaurant?" If after reading this you still think so, you'll be going at things a little more realistically than the authors.

The explosive San Francisco food scene gets an extra kick from the adventures of the husband and wife foodies who also attempt to fix food that's nowhere near the norm.

I love to read cookbooks like novels and this definitely qualifies that way. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to see let alone t
Vuk Trifkovic
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Some bits feel forced and gratuitous ( esp. the cartoon of a silly story Leibowitz described in too much detail just a page earlier), but overall it's one of the most insightful books on cooking, running a food business and San Francisco in the first two decades of 21st century.

As per recipes, there are not many but some real gems in there, worth reading for Anthony's refreshing no bullshit approach. You won't find any of the annoying 'oh, it's so easy, just skip this step' crap that hip and not
Jenn Mar
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Got the first-printing, first-edition with autographs. Wonderful idea for cookbook, as it's also part business manual, memoir, critical theory, cookbook. Fun photography and graphic layout. All the recipes make me drool, but maybe impractical for those who don't work from restaurant kitchens? Recipes will serve something like 16--how to make burgers for sixteen people with your own meat grinder. Still, I love staring at this and dreaming about making their signature PBJ. Next big paycheck I will ...more
Mary
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I like the recipes in this cookbook for their uniqueness and the explanation for why Myint and leibowitz chose to make the recipe their way. The brownie, for example, is served with Brilliant Savarin cheese. And, who would have thought of ten different varieties of toast as dessert? But the first half of the book is just a discussion of the development of the restaurant. And, I just wasn't interested in that part.
Alee
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first portion of the book is basically an autobiography. It's a great description of the creation of the food concepts. The second portion describes the author's philosophy on the preparation of food with some recipes interspersed. This section is incredibly useful with basic knowledge and tips. The last portion is an odd piece about how to get yourself going in the food industry. Overall, the book is a great read. I'm looking forward to trying some of the recipes....
Dean
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I normally don't review cookbooks but this is one of those hybrid tomes that contain more narrative and anecdote than recipes (I estimate the ratio at 75/25). As far as recipes go, the ones here are nearly perfect in formatting and execution with plenty of color photos detailing every step in the process and clear and witty instruction that provides plenty of entertainment value even if you don't plan on actually making the product.
Eoin
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Stunning. A love story about ninja-MacGyver food hackers told as conversation/essay/comic book/cook book. With pictures. Or, the biography of a beautiful idea about food from it's originators. Or, yet another piece of irrefutable proof my beloved SF reigns supreme. Or, what I'm going to be cooking asap. Worth it for any recipe or the comic book. This book alone has made my McSweeny's Book Release Club membership worth it.
Justin
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink
Invigorating, tongue-in-cheek, dare I say "meta" cookbook from a collective of gastronomical upstarts tearing it up on the San Francisco food scene in the waning days of the first millennial decade...or, as the book eloquently cites, "High-falootin' line cook from Bar Tartine goes all nitty gritty and shit." That'll do. :)
Kathleen
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, linebaugh, 2013
Lot of folks would enjoy this - Foodies, Entrepreneurs, the Bohemia....

Way to go Anthony Myint for following a dream, making it happen - and the dream being one that is so philanthropic. We need to hear of people like you more often.

An autobiography of a Food Dream, plus cookbook & philosophy notes.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
♥ Oh My Goodness..... The richness, portion size, variety, lack of attitude, & pretentiousness....

The recipes...I am so Drooling..... The photos, the tongue in cheek Business Plan.

I was already planning my trip and how many days I was going to eat there when I went to Yelp and found out they had Closed!

I am Crying!
Ryan
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A pretty interesting book but more-so because we were there for the genesis of this. This book doesn't spare any punches. If you cook like this on a regular basis, you'd probably die. Reveals why restaurant food tastes so good.
Emily Joyce
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
As a coffee table memoir it's an excellent, visually engaging browse. But the recipe aspect is wanting. Restaurant cookbooks are always hit or miss, and there were few things in this collection that I could actually see myself cooking.
Andy Chu
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Found this in the library randomly. I was impressed by their work ethic. The thing that stood out was an analogy to "planning a wedding every 2 weeks." And the cookbook in the 2nd half is pretty opinionated and seems like it contains hard-won knowledge.
Carla
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Not so much a cookbook more of a story of guerrilla cooking and setting up shop in a unique way
Eric Meyers
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mcsweeney-s
Great story, layout keeps it fun and interesting. Can't wait to try some of the recipes!
Sean Roswell
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best 'cookbook' you will read all year, these guys make me want to cook for a living again....and that is saying a lot.
Brian
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting story written in a very conversational style.
Julie
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love everything about this book - design, layout, text, paper stock!!
Marjie
Oct 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
The book sounded interesting but I must be too old and unhip to appreciate it.
Sarah B.
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book! Fantastic pictures, great insight into the world of restaurant pop-ups, and delicious recipes. MMM.
Maggie
Aug 25, 2011 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Deeply whimsical and altogether improbable.
Eling
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
loved the story, such a great one. fun photos, just not totally into the overall format of this book. recipes sound delicious but definitely not for the average home cook.
Bonnie Tesch
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspiring, food, community
I like the story they're telling, and most of the way they're telling it, and I wish there had been a slightly higher recipe to fix instructions/philosophy ratio.
Michael
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent history of an excellent restaurant.
Paul Fredrich
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • Lucky Peach: Issue 1
  • Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide
  • The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
  • From Absinthe to Zest: An Alphabet for Food Lovers (Grand dictionnaire de cuisine)
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food