Start by marking “The Namaqualand Book of the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Namaqualand Book of the Dead

The Namaqualand Book of the Dead

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
How far will you travel to lay your dead to rest?Struggling to come to terms with her boyfriend Aidan's death, Chlo is ill prepared to deal with the violent murder of his best friend. When tantalizing evidence suggests there is more to Aidan's apparent death than meets the eye, Chlo will not let her lack of material resources keep her from uncovering the truth, even if the ...more
Published March 21st 2011 by Lyrical Press, Inc (first published March 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Namaqualand Book of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Namaqualand Book of the Dead

Sonya Clark
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a darkly romantic and moody take on love and grief and how far a person can be driven by the combination of those two overwhelming emotions. The writing itself is evocative and downright beautiful in places. Chloe is a character that inspires a lot of sympathy and I was torn between wanting to see her find what she wanted or find what was best for her. The South African setting is so fully realized it's almost another character. All in all, a good read that left me wanting more.
Dorothy Shaw
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. The descriptions were some of the best I have ever read. Each place the character traveled and spent time was described with impeccable detail. I felt as though I was there walking beside the character the whole time. Chloe is a complex troubled girl, and through her eyes, I fell in love with Aidan. How could I not? What I longed for in the end was more story, more of what happened after...

I won't spoil the ending for the readers, but I want, need to see what happens
Carrie Clevenger
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The book, as it stands, is lovely. The plot unravels slowly and for awhile you're lulled into the story before a glistening hint of what is to come arrives, shaking your senses. Yes, I'd have loved to see more, but the end is correct, as it is an end, and anything further would warrant a brand new story.
Sheryl Nantus
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent read in an exotic land to this Canuck... looking for something different? Consider grabbing this!
Suzanne Rooyen
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very different and interesting read particularly because of the South African setting. I don't know the Namaqualand coastline well at all so visiting these little villages with the MC was delightful and made me quite nostalgic at the mention of familiar things.

This story is definitely more a road-trip story than a typical romance, which was refreshing if not exactly what I was expecting.

The writing is good and I liked the eclectic cast of characters. Hooray for diversity! My biggest gripe how
Melissa  Bowers
Sep 27, 2013
Icy Sedgwick
Mar 26, 2011
Nerine Dorman
Mar 18, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
KimWin
Dark Luna Rose
Apr 10, 2015
Frieda
Apr 13, 2017
Nerine Dorman is a South African author and editor of SFF currently residing in Cape Town. Her short fiction has been published in an assortment of anthologies, including the Midian Unmade: Tales of Clive Barker's Nightbreed; The Endless Ages Anthology for Vampire: The Masquerade; the Wraeththu mythos; and War Stories: New Military Science Fiction, among others. Her YA fantasy novel Dragon Forged ...more
More about Nerine Dorman...