Start by marking “Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)” as Want to Read:
Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)

Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  54,398 Ratings  ·  5,330 Reviews
In the riveting conclusion to the acclaimed dystopian series, a boy and girl caught in the chaos of war face devastating choices that will decide the fate of a world.

As a world-ending war surges around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions. The indigenous Spackle, thinking and acting as one, have mobilized to avenge their murdered people. Ruthless human leaders pre
Published September 13th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published May 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Monsters of Men, please sign up.
Sydney Stene Nobody leaves in the main series, but in a short story Ness wrote placed shortly after the events of Monsters of Men, a small expedition is sent out…moreNobody leaves in the main series, but in a short story Ness wrote placed shortly after the events of Monsters of Men, a small expedition is sent out to explore the northern parts of New World. This includes the characters Lee and Wilf, and is found at the end of most new editions of MoM. Lee mentions in it that this is the first 'real' expedition away from the river where the first settlers landed, due to fact that they didn't have resources to spare for an expedition, or really the time/man-power... they were fighting for survival, fighting each other, and fighting the Spackle. It's also important to note that the group of settlers Todd's parents belonged to were religious settlers, and didn't have a lot of advanced technology like Viola's convoy did, even though they left at roughly the same time.(less)
Sydney Stene Remember that the lunar cycles on New World are different than they are on Earth, and that Todd and Viola could be as old as fourteen or fifteen. I…moreRemember that the lunar cycles on New World are different than they are on Earth, and that Todd and Viola could be as old as fourteen or fifteen. I had always interpreted 1017/the Return to be a few years older than Todd and Viola, so around 17 or 18 years old, but I'm not sure how much actual canonical evidence there is for that in the books. Regardless, that's still very young to take on such a leadership role, and we're not explicitly given any indication that Spackle age differently than humans, but I had chalked it up to there being a definite difference in emotional development for Spackle due to the massive interaction of the population through the communal 'voice' of their Noise. Granted, 1017 is raised as part of the Burden, not the Land, so again, I'm not really sure if there's really any solid answer on this.(less)

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
I am shocked. I am speechless. I don't even think I can do this book justice by writing this review. My first reaction is just to scream "OH MY EFFING GOD!!!" (only I don't say "effing"! heh heh … Well, if you've read the books you get the joke) … which is exactly what I said about fifty times after I finished reading it last night.

Seriously, it isn't often that a book like this comes along. I don't think a book has left me feeling this shocked and amazed in years––not even the first two books,
Emily May
After falling completely in love with the first two books in the Chaos Walking Trilogy, it made perfect sense for me to seek out the final installment asap. And I must admit, my immediate thoughts were mixed. This book doesn't share the fast pace of 'The Knife Of Never Letting Go' and doesn't put as much emphasis on the shock factor like 'The Ask And The Answer'. But it delivered beautifully in a way I could never have imagined.

Firstly, I've never been a huge fan of swapping the narrative repeat
Anushka
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just read it already!
Also find this review on Don't Stop Readin'

OH. MY. GOD.

I-
CAN’T-
EVEN-

Page 572
It will always haunt me.
I will never be able to forget it.
It was when I started crying hysterically until my throat started aching.

There are not enough adjectives in the dictionary to sing praises of this series. I am simply tongue-tied by the brilliance of this trilogy, the depth of the topics explored via the characters in this book.
I really cannot write a proper review, I just can’t. I am so severely shocked and utte
Regan
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best endings of a trilogy i have ever read. I sobbed, and laughed, but most sobbed. So poetic, honestly, Patrick Ness is a gift to this earth.
C.G. Drews
THIS FLIPPIN BOOK. I swear I just ran a 45 kilometre race because I'm exhausted. And I'm angry. Ohhhhh you made me SO ANGRY you little black hearted book. It is good though, it is very very good, although I'm still kind of salty at it but giving it 5-stars because you know when you love something a lot but you also want to slap it??? Me @ Chaos Walking.

CAN WE TAKE A MOMENT TO SHOUT ABOUT THAT ENDING. I'm traumatised and damaged but very pleased ultimately, because what is the bookworm life if no
karen
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya

this lower-than-five-stars rating is probably my fault. i had to put the book down because of life (stupid life) so there was a whole day there where i didn't get to read a single word of this, and i may have simply lost my momentum as a result.

this book is still fantastic.

it is a slower-paced, more meditative book than the other two. before, it was all breakneck excitement and every time the characters seemed to be able to pause for breath - blammo! another effing tragedy! which strangely, did
Ivan
Patrick Ness, that's what other writers of YA dystopian books want to be when they grow up.
Charlotte May
3.5 stars ⭐

I liked this, it was enjoyable. I just didn’t seem to find it as mind blowing and life altering as some other readers.

“War makes monsters of men.”

I was never bored, but I feel this novel could have been cut down by a few hundred pages. A good 300 pages in was just back and forth war between the people of New Prentisstown, Mistress Coyle’s group and the Spackle.

But there was plenty I did like (view spoiler) and that he had become like a messe
Clau R.
EVERYTHING HURTS RIGHT NOW, DON'T TALK TO ME!!!!
Amanda
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, blog
If you read my reviews of The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer, you'll find that I was a smitten kitten with the Chaos Walking series. In the carbon copy world of young adult literature, these are inventive books with powerful themes resonating throughout. I have been anticipating the moment when I would finish the last book in the trilogy, expecting to savor the return to Todd and Viola's world. So what effin' happened that led to a tepid 3 star rating? I'm still trying to f ...more
Kate
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you get to the final book in a series, and it feels like a different author is writing it, that the real author who began the story back at book one packed a suitcase and got a one-way ticket to some far-off place. This is how I feel about Monsters of Men, which is really the proverbial nail in the Chaos Walking trilogy's coffin.

I've read several glowing reviews for this book, and I admit I struggle to see many of the things those readers are seeing. While everyone's entitled to their
Isamlq
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes, Aaron... E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E!!!!!
Shelves: favorites
Two words: Emotional Investment.

This review is me on a soapbox telling shouting at anyone/everyone within hearing distance to read it… NOW! So, I guess, this review isn't a review after all. Right before I started Monsters, I was so worried if Ness would kill off one, some, or all his characters. Then I asked myself, “Is that all you can think of?” My response: a resounding, YES! My concern extending to the living or dying of these people, clearly establishes my emotional investment. If someone
Mariel
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reach the dumb to fool the crowd
Recommended to Mariel by: Infiltrate imagination
"The leaders of men
Born out of your frustration
The leaders of men
Just a strange infatuation
The leaders of men
Made a promise for a new life
No savior for our sakes
To twist the internees of hate
Self-induced manipulation
To crush all thoughts of mass salvation"
- 'Leaders of Men' by Joy Division

Patrick Ness?

Patrick Ness says: "Even in a society where we're constantly being told to 'be be ourselves', the pressure is to conform is terrible, especially for the young. If the Chaos Walking trilog
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my heart has officially been blown up into a million little pieces.

boom.
PopiTonja
Definitivno najslabija knjiga trilogije.
Malo vise me je smorio rat na 500 strana.
Denisse
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was some solid and furious ending. Maybe a bit larger that it should’ve been but powerful in the lessons it wants to deliver, and emotional in its characters. I’m very happy I got to finish this trilogy that has so many depths under the already great superficial plot lines. Highly recomended for any YA lover looking for a mature reading.

Choices may be unbelievably hard but they’re never impossible.

Cuando un libro centra toda su historia en algo muy pequeño y lo repite mucho puede llegar
Priscilla
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a book, and what an ending! I couldn't have asked for more. Exceeded my expectations!

Initial Thoughts:
1. Love Todd. Definitely one of my favourite literary characters. His character development throughout this series is INSANE. A genuinely sweet, well intentioned character, you can't help but fall in love and root for Todd.
2. All of the characters are amazing. From the antagonists, and side characters, each had a unique purpose, and perspective in the book. Each character complemented each
Warda
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*sigh*

I'm in love. I'm in love. I'm in love.

*heart eyes*

“That's the secret of this planet, Todd. Communication, real and open, so we can finally understand each other for once.”

So, now that I've managed to gather my thoughts a bit, I'll try and write some form of a review for the whole trilogy rather than the last instalment alone.

First off, I can't recommend this trilogy enough. It's unique. It's original and goddamn near perfect... No, it IS perfect.

This book is about a boy who lives in a
Ecmel Soylu
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ya harika harika harika harika harika
Choko
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: distopia, ya
*** 2.65 ***

"...“Worst is the one who knows better and does nothing.” ..."

I don't get it... I think this is the moment I figure I am reading this series wrong, because I stuck with it to the end and I still had some major issues with it. Most of all, the two teenage main characters, Tod and Viola. It is very hard to keep on reading when you strongly dislike the leading couple and where everything and everyone makes you extremely angry. I had this constant buzz, or noise, of anger simmering und
Lisa Scott
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Reading Monsters of Men is like being on a roller coaster. At first it feels fairly slow, with tension building and building, and then you're hurtling down and hanging on for dear life. It took me several days to get through the first 200 pages or so, and then the last 400 I polished off in several hours.

The moral ambiguity of The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer (can Patrick Ness title a book or what?) continues as Todd and Viola attempt to negotiate peace among two human f
Melissa Veras
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do I begin to describe the awesomeness of this book? When I read The Knife of Never Letting Go, I liked it A LOT... but I never imagined that book would lead us to this masterpiece.

I really don't have words.

Just... wow.

Clair
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction, faves
How do you review Monsters of Men?

Just how?

Do I come in with a basic summary of the plot and then move on to what I thought about it? Because if I even tried doing that with Monsters of Men, it might end up something like this:

So after revealing that there are thousands of Spackle still alive on the planet and they are VERY pissed off at the humans for killing several hundred of their own species and have thus formed an army at the end of The Ask and the Answer, Patrick Ness drops us straight in
Ferdy
Spoilers

Ugh, I hated it. I mostly enjoyed the first two books in the series but Monsters of Men was bloody awful. It was a struggle to get through it. The main problem was fucker Todd and fucker Viola, they were the most selfish and vile teenagers ever — the dicks actually thought it was cool to start a war as long as it meant saving the other. What pissed me off more was even though they were horrid little gits, everyone and their mother acted like they were oh so perfect. Ugh. What gave those
Robin (Bridge Four)
5 effing Stars for Monsters of Men and 4.9 Stars for the entire series.

WOW....just Wow. This is one of those books or actually it is an entire series that I will have the most difficult time putting into words how fantastic it is.

photo broken-heartfixed_zps035976c6.jpg
There are so many great moments and beautiful writing that I'm amazed by it all.

The thing about war is there is never a winner. Both sides lose; the winner is the one that loses the least. Ness did a fantastic job of showing the lengths that people go to for what they
Reynje
This one time, Monsters of Men punched me in the face.

It was awesome.

Photobucket

Proper review to come (eventually).

[Note: By "proper" I mean probably full of italics, caps, uncontrolled flailing about, and the literary equivalent of high pitched screeching].

Start making my t-shirt, Jo!
Polly
This series and really this book in particular was such a crazy rollercoaster of feels. It made me curl up in a ball and cry, it made me feel hopeful and empowered and the writing made me very happy because it's so beautiful.

The changes and development these characters (especially Todd) went through was one of my favourite things about this trilogy. I don't know what took me so long but I'm so glad I finally picked this series up.
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace
Shelves: ya, borrowed, series, war, populist
YA fantasy at its finest.

The best book in this trilogy. What a way to conclude the story.

This is the LOTR of the 21st century. The triumph of good over evil is a deathless theme and no matter how many times it has been written, during our times of uncertainties, hope is sometimes the only thing that remains with us to hold on to.

I loved everything about it. Well, to do that, I had to drop all my defenses, sit back and relax and let myself be wooed by Ness. When I decided to crack this final boo
Am I the only one who loves Mayor Prentiss? 82 291 May 25, 2018 05:25PM
Todd's mother's book 9 50 May 19, 2018 12:00AM
Prentisstown..MAJOR SPOILER!! 11 71 May 18, 2018 11:39PM
What are the best third novels in a trilogy? 2 20 Mar 25, 2017 10:20AM
YA Apocalyptic an...: November 2016 BOTM 1 4 Nov 09, 2016 08:42PM
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
  • UnDivided (Unwind, #4)
  • Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • The Alex Crow
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • El cuchillo en la mano (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“To say you have no choice is to relieve yourself of responsibility.” 762 likes