Start by marking “South of the Border, West of the Sun” as Want to Read:
South of the Border, West of the Sun

South of the Border, West of the Sun

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  64,992 Ratings  ·  3,768 Reviews
Alternate cover edition here.

Growing up in the suburbs of post-war Japan, it seemed to Hajime that everyone but him had brothers and sisters. His sole companion was Shimamoto, also an only child. Together they spent long afternoons listening to her father's record collection. But when his family moved away, the two lost touch. Now Hajime is in his thirties. After a decade
Published July 1st 1999 by Harvill Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about South of the Border, West of the Sun, please sign up.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Creo que lo hace (junto con muchos autores modernos) porque la vida no te presenta con sus conflictos todos resueltos, sin un hilo suelto, y todo…moreCreo que lo hace (junto con muchos autores modernos) porque la vida no te presenta con sus conflictos todos resueltos, sin un hilo suelto, y todo atado con un lazo bonito. La vida siempre sigue adelante; en cuanto que terminamos con una etapa, aquí está la siguiente (si es que no se superponen una a otra). Pocas personas reales son nitidamente definidas; el ser humano consciente de su vida está (y debe estar) en una condición de constante adaptación y cambio. Claro que existen personas que se limitan a respirar, comer, dormir y andar una linea recta de la cuna a la tumba, pasando por las etapas vitales una tras otra sin variación...pero no sería muy emocionante leer sobre ellos.(less)

Kelly Jean Egan
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever Murakami book I am reading, I find myself stepping back into the same world as before, with all of the same characters and themes of wells and transience and strangely poignant details like gold lighters and classical music records and the myriad spaghetti dinners--the mundane details of everyday life spun into a dreamy tapestry. The fact that every Murakami book I read seems to feel the same is a good thing in this author's case. His tone is something quite distinct. Every time I read ...more
Ian "Marvin" Graye
A Companion Intervenes

I re-read “South of the Border” immediately after re-reading “Norwegian Wood”, as part of my training regime for Murakami’s “1Q84”.

Although they were written five years apart and were separated by “Dance Dance Dance”, they are good companion pieces.

They stand out from Murakami’s other novels because they explore love and its consequences almost exclusively.

Although some things and events go unexplained, there is little of the surrealism and absurdity that characterizes mos
Brendon Schrodinger
The other night a friend mentioned she is reading '1Q84' at the moment and it got me all nostalgic for a Murakami experience. So choosing one at random of the ever diminishing list of Murakami's I haven't read yet I chose 'South of the Border, West of the Sun'.

What do you get? Unsurprisingly a story that is Murakami. There is an every-man protagonist, mysterious lady from the past, jazz, university protests, people with deformities... I could go on or just use the Murakami Bingo:

Desipite being s
I never fail to be impressed by the way Murakami captures mood and feelings. Even in his less fantastic novels, of which this is one, he draws you into a world that is all his, and so full of possibilities and connections that you feel you could grasp them if you reached out. Except you don't, because in Murakami's universe it's easier to stay put and wait than to get actively involved. It's about memories and reminiscences, about wishes and alternate realities, and if you were to reach out and ...more
Boysie Freeman (not my real name, it's just my Internet name)
At first I dislike this book but now I am confident to say that I hate it.

It's about this shallow and whiny man who wronged every women he put his hand on (probably because he is so deep, no one can understand him since he's the only child, yes, you gotta remember how painful it is for this Hajime guy to be the only child)... except his childhood sweetheart who is so deep that she never has a real personality but some random emo appeal which cannot make me care less. The author tried so hard bu
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature

ربما يقول شخص غريب إننا نعيش حياة مثالية. صحيح أنني كنت متأكدا من ذلك في وقت ما. كنت متحمسا لعملي و أكسب كثيرا من المال. أملك شقة بأربع غرف نوم في أوياما و كوخا صغيرا في هاكوني. عربة بي أم دبليو و أخرى جيب شيروكي. عائلتي سعيدة. أحب زوجتي و ابنتيّ. ماذا يمكن للمرء طلب أكثر من ذلك؟ لم يكن بإمكاني تصور حياة أفضل.

كان يعيش حياة هانئة قبل أن يقابل حبه القديم الذي انزوى في حنايا القلب و ظن أنه لم يوجد أبدا في يوم من الأيام

عرفت منذ قابلتكِ أن هناك شيئا مفقودا. السؤال المهم هو ما هو هذا الشيء المفقود؟ شي
Eddie Watkins
This book is the literary equivalent of cloud paintings. I’m not talking John Constable’s clouds, which are dense with specificity from a keen and earthy eye; but rather New Agey cloud paintings, which are designed to be innocuous and calming, to not stimulate the eye, to induce a meditative state and readjust the spirit and turn one away from the tangible.

So South of the Border, West of the Sun is not all bad – it does satisfy all the above criteria for New Agey cloud paintings – and I have no
Ahmad Sharabiani
Kokkyo no minami, Taiyo no nishi=South of the border, west of the sun, Haruki Murakami
عنوان: جنوب مرز، غرب خورشید؛ نویسنده: هاروکی موراکامی؛ مترجم: کیوان سلطانی؛ تهران، نشر بدیل؛ 1393، در 179 ص؛ شابک: 9786009423033؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان ژاپنی قرن 20 م
عنوان: جنوب مرز، غرب خورشید؛ نویسنده: هاروکی موراکامی؛ مترجم: سلماز (سولماز) بهگام؛ مشهد، ترانه: دانیال دامون؛ 1394، در 272 ص؛ شابک: 9786007061091؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان ژاپنی قرن 20 م
نقل از متن: همه همینطور پشت سر هم ناپدید میشوند. بعضی
Jim Fonseca
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel starts out as a coming-of-age story of a young Japanese man. Like other Murakami novels we have cats, Western culture and music – both American pop and European classical music. To the cats we can add lame women because there are two in this story. Another major theme of this book is that the main character and several others are an “only child” and the characters discuss what this means. This makes a lot of sense in Japanese culture with its exceptionally low birth rate to the point ...more
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this book, but it did make me think about why, so at least it had that going for it.

I found Hajime an infinitely unlikeable character, but I couldn't put my finger on the details of why. He had no problem doing things that would hurt the women he claimed to "love", even as he said that there must be something wrong with him for doing so. I think of "that's just the way I am, nothing to be done" as the worst, laziest possible excuse for bad behavior toward others.

But it was
Moushumi Ghosh
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked jazz music but I don’t think I qualify as a fan. But this book seems like a jazz symphony to me (I’m kind of clueless about jazz. Is there something like a “jazz symphony?”) It’s smooth, mysterious and leaves you thirsting for more.

I firmly believe that you don’t choose your books; the books choose you. Yeah, I’m one of them people who think that there is no such thing as a coincidence. So, this SOTBWFTS (short form) was a gift from a friend on my birthday.

Anyways, I jumped o
Apr 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتب ابراهيم حاج عبدي..
"عنوان الرواية «جنوب الحدود، غرب الشمس» هو عبارة عن توليفة ابتدعها خيال الروائي، ليختزل، بهذه الاستعارة الذكية، مزاج بطل روايته، ومخاوفه ورغباته وآماله. «جنوب الحدود» هو عنوان أغنية لنات كينج كول، بينما «غرب الشمس» هو اسم لمرض هستيري يعاني منه الفلاحون في سيبيريا. «فلاح وحيد في تندرا سيبيريا. يحرث الأرض كل يوم ولا يرى شيئاً على مد البصر سوى الشمس والأفق الممتد بلا نهاية محيطاً به من الجهات الأربع. يلقي بمحراثه ذات يوم، ويبدأ بالسير نحو ارض تمتد غرب الشمس، من دون طعام أو شر
Ahmed Oraby
هاروكي موراكامي، هو تلك المنطقة الرمادية بين الواقع والخيال
Jr Bacdayan
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in love with Haruki Murakami’s novels. I guess it might be the resonance of loneliness emanating from all his works. It might be the fusion of pop-culture and philosophical musings. It might be the mysterious atmosphere he creates. I can’t really pin it down. Most of his novels are deceptively similar in their tones and backgrounds but each one has a different center. Each novel shows a similar scene, but each one with a different focus.

South of the Border, West of the Sun is a meditation o
At home, we have a private joke about the two Murakamis. One Haruki Murakami, my Murakami, would be the author of “Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World”, “1Q84”, “A Wild Sheep Chase”. My boyfriend’s Murakami, the other one, is the one from “Norwegian Wood”, “Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki” or “Sputnik Sweetheart”. And by a rule of thumb, I love and admire my Murakami, and am indifferent at best (and hostile at worst) towards his.

This one is completely different, though. The protagonist, a
Χαρά Ζ.
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greek review cause i feel like it.

Κοιτάχτε να δείτε τι παίχτηκε. Το βιβλίο έχει θέματα, τι θέματα δηλαδή, θεματάρες. Έχει μέσα κάτι γελοίους διαλόγους, έχει πράγματα απλά γιατί έτσι του ήρθε, δεν εξηγεί ποτέ, τα αφήνει όλα μετέωρα ρε παιδί μου. Επίσης, βρε καρμίρη Μουρακάμι, βρε άνθρωπε, γιατί τόσο σεξ βρε μανάρι μου;
Και σαν να μην έφτανε αυτό, αμ τι βασικός χαρακτήρας ειν τούτος; Έναν φίλο δεν έχει. Τον θέλουν όλες και γενικά πάντα τις πληγώνει. Σιγααα μωρεεεε βάστα, κάτσε λίγο βρε αγόρι μου.
Ivana Books Are Magic
They say that Murakami is one of those authors you either love or hate. I can actually understand how his style of writing might not be for everyone’s taste, but I happen to love him. His unique writing style always had a sort of hypnotic power over me. I feel enchanted when I read his novels, almost like I’m entering some magical world. Moreover, at times it is almost like I’m in the book myself, a silent observer, but nevertheless, a person very much present. Do you know that feeling you feel ...more
After having read the bulk of his work, I've come to the conclusion that one has to have a general picture of Murakami's novels in order to understand each of his stories seperately. There are some recurring themes in all of them that at first I couldn't quite get. Now, it's become easier to interpret those symbolisms.

As much as I love his surrealistic tricks, I can't help but be equally dazzled by his more sensitive, romantic themes. This one belongs to the latter category, while it has been s
This novel (in an earlier translation Gefährliche Geliebte) gained a certain notoriety in Germany back in 2000 when it led to the acrimonious collapse of a long-running television institution, Das Literarische Quartett. It was, perhaps, inevitable. The programme was kept alive by its gladiatorial atmosphere. Four self-opinionated critics who come together to dispute the merits of a literary work, each trying hard to hold their corner and usually getting shouted down by the most self-opinionated ...more
Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal

"لو كان بمقدوري البكاء لكان الأمر أيسر، لكن على ماذا سأبكي؟ كنت مستقلاً لدرجة لا تسمح لي بالبكاء بسبب الآخرين، وأكبر من أن أبكي على نفسي
هاروكى موراكامى مرة أخرى بعد "رقص رقص رقص" أقرأ هذه الرواية صاحبة العنوان الغريب .."جنوب الحدود غرب الشمس" وهو عنوان
مناسب تماماً لحال البطل "هاجيمى" ف جنوب الحدود هو اسم لاغنية لموسيقار الجاز "نات كينج كول"..وغرب الشمس هو اسم لمرض هستيرى
يصيب من يعانى من الوحدة ,التشتت والخواء تماماً كحال البطل ..إيقاع الرواية سريع جدا وتنتهى فى وقت وجيز .. متابعاً سرد حياة ا
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
keep in touch:

Hajime is a happily married man. He is also the father of two daughters and the owner of two Jazz Clubs. At some point during his 30’s Hajime finds himself leading a typical suburban life close-enough-but-not-too-close to down-town Tokyo.

Some people would say that Hajime is one of those lucky-few-guys, who can afford a rather easy-going lifestyle, while others would argue that this sort of life is quiet dull, actually. But then again, that's exactly
Muhammad Galal
كيف لك أن تتخيل أن هذا هو العمل الأول ل"مواراكامي"،
بدايات الكاتب تشي بعقليته، وبجمال ما يكتب،
هو من العباقرة في كتابة السهل الممتنع،
أكثر ما يعجبني في شخصيات "هاروكي" هي شخصياته المفعمة بالرغبة، بالحركة، بالدوافع، بحب الحياة،
شخصياته تلعب الرياضة كنوع من التغلب على أحلام اليقظة القاضّة للمضاجع، تقرأ، تسمع للموسيقى بتأنٍ يبعث على التأمل، ويجعل من السكون حياة، تخوض وتخوض وتخوض مع نفسها في توقع ردود الأفعال، والإحساس بالذنب، أو التصالح معه،
شخصيات الكاتب تجيد التعبير عن نفسها،
الرجال مليئون بالحركة والع
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dala bih joj pola boda manje, ali mi ljubav prema džezu ne dozvoljava. Pritom, ovo je prvo Murakamijevo delo koje sam pročitala, pa mu je zamišljen kraj oprošten. Atmosfera mi se dopala, nakon bure koju je u meni izazvala Tenesijeva drama, bila je baš ono što mi je trebalo.
Stil je, u nedostatku boljih reči, tih i živ. Robins' Nest je lokal u kom bih i sama rado popila koktel, pred vratima ostavljajući zvuke dobovanja kiše, prepustivši se svoj lepoti džeza.
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بدون قطط ناطقة ولا اسماك متساقطة من السماء، نجح موراكامي في إبهاري هذه المرة أيضا. أسلوبه الحساس والشغوف المغلف بالحنين يتسلل ويتغلل في الحنايا رغم أن البساطة هي اللغة المستخدمة.

تطرح الرواية تيمات متعددة، إن لم تجد إحداهن صدى في نفسك، فستفعل الأخرى ذلك. هل سبق وأن طرحت على نفسك اسئلة تتعلق بمدى سعادتك في الحياة؟ أن احترت فيما أن كنت ترغب أن تحيا بالطريقة التي تعيشها حاليا أم أنها رسمت لك دون تدخل منك؟ ألم تشعر يوما أن هناك نهرا من الحسرة يسري تحت القشرة الصلبة من الروتين اليومي والكفاح المضني.
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: belletristik, asien
Ich war ja schon sehr gespannt auf dieses Buch, da es jenen Eklat im Literarischen Quartett auslöste, der der Anlass (nicht die Ursache) für einen Zerfall des Trios Löffler, Reich-Ranicki, Karasek war.

Und ehrlich gesagt, verstehe ich die Frau Löffler sehr gut. Dieses Buch ist so versteckt aber dennoch massiv patriachalisch, dass es jeder Frau, die nur einen Absatz in den Werken von Alice Schwarzer und Elfriede Jelinek gelesen hat, die Zehennägel aufrollen muss.

Der ständig unzufriedene Hajime,
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia, yearning, 2010-reads
Eh, this was Orange Crush trying to masquerade as champagne.

The book's linchpin is a lifelong unrequited or dashed youthful romance that obsesses the protagonists, Hajime (he) and Shimamoto (she), each -- unknowingly to the other -- holding a candle over a vast span of time. Unfortunately, Murakami is no Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and this glass of soda pop novel is no Love in the Time of Cholera.

I'm not a guy who requires plot, per se, but what plot there is here is perfunctory; Murakami makes thi
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Những bạn ngại nói về vấn đề sex thì không nên đọc cuốn này. Bác già y hệt thường lệ vẫn kể về sex theo cái cách vô cùng trần tục, như nó vốn dĩ.

Những bạn bị mắc bệnh căm ghét đờn ông thì cũng không nên đọc. Anh nhân vật chính nói chung không được đạo mạo theo chuẩn mực thông thường cho lắm. Nói thẳng ra là cũng buông thả, lăng nhăng và hay làm tổn thương phụ nữ, theo cách này hay cách khác :3

Những bạn suốt ngày than thở vì bị may mắn thờ ơ thì cũng không nên đọc mà hãy cố gắng chạy loăng quoăng
Karim Abdel-Khalek‎
طوال قراءة هذه الرواية كان كل ما يسيطر على تفكيري هو ماذا يريد موراكامي أن يقول ، هذه روايته الأولى فكيف كانت بداية هذا الكاتب العظيم؟
لنكن متفقين أن "كافكا على الشاطئ" رواية عظيمة و أن "سبوتنيك الحبيبة" رواية ممتازة و لكن هذه الرواية لم تجب حتى على الأسئلة التي قدمتها في البداية ، مجرد تفاصيل كثيرة و حوارات متبادلة دون فائدة و دون إضافة جديدة للأحداث . الجزء الأول من الرواية كان سيء جداً ، يحكي البطل عن مغامراته الجنسية فقط ، الفائدة الوحيدة من هذا الجزء تقديم "شيماموتو" التي تظهر في النصف الثال
Dr Osama
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
رواية رائعة أخرى للمؤلف الياباني هاريوكي موراكامي يسترجع فيها ذكرياته مع الفتيات اللاتي مررن في حياته منذ الطفولة حتى المراهقة فالشباب ثم الزواج. وكيف تجمعه الصدفة ببعضهن بعد مرور عقود من الزمن. الرواية تلخص أزمة منتصف العمر التي يمر بها بطل القصة ويجد قلبه منقسما بين ذكريات الماضي التي لم يتمكن من التخلي عنها وبين حقيقة الواقع الذي يعايشه في كنف أسرته الصغيرة. أسلوب الكاتب في هذه الرواية أقرب للواقع وربما تكون الرواية مبنية على ذكرياته حقيقية مع إضافة بعض الخيال المشوق. بداية الرواية لا توحي أب ...more
K.D. Absolutely
I just finished reading and liking another Murakami book. My last three read books by him failed to impress me at all: Norwegian Wood (2 stars), 1Q84 (2 stars) and What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (2 stars). The middle of the book is utterly boring especially while waiting of Shimamoto to show up and meet Hajime again. The waiting does not heighten the anticipation because you know that they are meant for each and the inevitable that they will make love when the see each other becomes ...more
  • Beauty and Sadness
  • After the Banquet
  • Hotel Iris
  • The Box Man
  • Kinshu: Autumn Brocade
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at:

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am
More about Haruki Murakami...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“I think you still love me, but we can’t escape the fact that I’m not enough for you. I knew this was going to happen. So I’m not blaming you for falling in love with another woman. I’m not angry, either. I should be, but I’m not. I just feel pain. A lot of pain. I thought I could imagine how much this would hurt, but I was wrong.” 8574 likes
“Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I'm gazing at a distant star.
It's dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago.
Maybe the star doesn't even exist any more. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything.”