Start by marking “Kamen poslednjeg pozdrava (Sećanje, jad i trn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kamen poslednjeg pozdrava (Sećanje, jad i trn, #2)

Kamen poslednjeg pozdrava

(Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn #2)

Drugi deo trilogije Sećanje, jad i trn.

Došlo je vreme tame, užasa i konačnih iskušenja za kraljevstvo Osten Ard jer divlja magija i stravične sluge neupokojenog sitskog vladara, Inelukija, Olujnog Kralja, kraljevstvom šire naizgled nepobedivo zlo. Sila Inelukijevog besa opustošila je čitavu zemlju, a odrpani ostaci nekad ponosite vojske ljudi beže u potrazi za posledn
Published 2011 by Laguna (first published August 7th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Kamen poslednjeg pozdrava, please sign up.
George I think you're exaggerating, but here are a couple of answers anyway.

A1. It works for narrative purposes--including that he'll eventually…more
I think you're exaggerating, but here are a couple of answers anyway.

A1. It works for narrative purposes--including that he'll eventually remember and assemble what he's temporarily forgotten. (Not a spoiler, that statement; if it weren't true, it would be bad structure to tell us readers more than the PoV character ever knows.)

A2. Some people, in reality and even more in fiction, do faint in such circumstances, esp. those who, like Simon, are connected to the Dream Roads ... or whatever you prefer to call the Other Side.(less)

Start your review of Kamen poslednjeg pozdrava (Sećanje, jad i trn, #2)
Dirk Grobbelaar
My review of The Dragonbone Chair did not do the novel justice. It was written in haste, a few quickly typed lines before I launched into The Stone of Farewell. See, The Dragonbone Chair ended on such a note that I just did.not.have.the.time to think about a decent review. I simply had to know what happened next.

The first novel went to great pains to establish the world, so there wasn’t such a lot of exposition required for The Stone of Farewell. This freed the author up to do what he apparently does best: write awesome, and remarkably cin
Claudia
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too long even for my taste, although, if you ask me, I don’t know what could have been cut from it. We follow our heroes’ quest throughout Osten Ard, but now we have more threads. The remaining ‘good guys’ are scattered throughout the land, each trying to reach the Stone of Farewell, the last safe bastion from the Storm King.

There is a single wow moment, for me at least, and it was at 96%. However, there isn’t a single dull moment in the whole book. It’s just that their journey
Solseit
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great second book in a series.
Plenty of characters, great characters, challenges which showed more of the main characters reactions and humanity.
Amazing plot, properly written and developed. Just the right amount of cliffhangers.
Also, great female characters, stronger than average and annoyed by being contained in a stereotype.
I felt completely immersed in the story and invested in the characters.
Wanda
As I look back on the reading experience for Stone of Farewell, I wonder exactly why I enjoyed it so much? I mean, not an awful lot happens. Simon returns to being a pouty, immature boy more often than not. There’s an awful lot of walking, while keeping a look-out for the bad guys. In fact, you could probably sum up the whole book in one sentence: Most of the good guys get to the Stone of Farewell.

I guess what made it worthwhile for me was learning quite a bit more about the Sithi (Williams’
Kaitlin
This is book #2 in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series and it's a pretty classic fantasy series. I find that classic fantasy often tends to fall into some of the tropes I don't love very much (sloooooow pacing and not so developed characters were the two major complaints with this book) but when I am in the mood to read a classic fantasy series I do enjoy a good one and I think this one is that :)

Simon is the main character for a lot of the first book but I feel like in book two we s
Ahdam
Ok first review of 2018 and what do you know its 5 stars out of 5

Anyway this book is a huge improvement on the previous book which was already fantastic, I think what stood out for me in this book was the pace and tension kept building as it wasn't like in the great hunt where it starts all over again for each book. I felt the story moved much more here than in Dragonbone chair and I was invested into what the characters were up to as they got on with there tasks set for them in Osten Ard.

That
Chris Gousopoulos
  The apocalypse that has befallen the world of Osten Ard is fully unveiled. It might be a slow unravelling but it is a very satisfying one. The worldbuilding is tremendous. Our view of the world expands and its full of magnificent places, people and their stories. Especially the various subraces of the elvenkind are awesome. Apart from the Middle Earth this is the only place that I can say that I love the Elves. They share the grandeur and the drama of their Tolkien counterparts but they are at ...more
Aurora
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book. Here, let me sum it up for you so you don't waste all the time I did hoping this monstrosity would get better.

Some people walk through a forest. A fight happens. Someone falls down and has a prophetic dream that they never tell anyone about. More walking through the forest.

Repeat ad nauseum.
Yes, that was the entire book. People 'falling senseless' or whatever the heck every ten pages, a lot of whining, and the occasional anticlimactic pointless battle followe
Kitvaria Sarene
It has been about 7 years since I read the first book - and it took me quite a while to get back into the story. Once I remembered the multitude of characters, I was quickly sucked in again.
On the one hand I really enjoyed the story - on the other hand it was veeeery long in places. A lot of description, that didn't feel entirely necessary in some scenes - while at other places it felt perfectly balanced, even though it had some minute details.

What bugged me (as everyone knowin
Dawn
++SPOILERS++

Whereas the first book was a nice comfort read, this one gave me anxiety through much of it.

Lots of stuff going on, a bit more conflict but few resolutions, which I expect will come in the last book.

There is alot of back and fourth with different characters POV's as they all strive to their own purposes.

I have grown to dislike Mirabele, who in the first book seemed strong but has now turned to a stupid shallow child. I hate that she gav
Sara J. (kefuwa)
#ReturnToOstenArd: Re-read this as part of a bookstagram group-read with Tange, Jacob & Nadine in anticipation of the Witchwood Crown coming out in June 2017!

23/5/17: Annnnd I'm done! Not going to stop to write anything atm as it will be mostly fangirling as per the review for Dragonbone Chair. Used mostly my ebook version to get through this one as well - I will stick a review on the ebook version later on too (urgh - so many mistakes Hachette UK!) - I also need to add a new edition f
Aldi
Marina
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. Full of magic and intrigue, characters were awesome. Plot was engaging, but it is still bit too long. Picking this book would be great way to loose couple of hours or, in my case, weeks. I'm slow reader, but it was worth reading this book.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read on audio. Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Maja Ingrid
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not as good as the first book. It doesn't have much going for it, and felt too long for what happened in it. Could easily been a tad bit shorter. Blaming this on middle book syndrome. I struggled a little getting into it in the beginning and at the end I grew a little tired and just wanted it to be done. Hopefully next one(s, bc my edition are split in two parts) will be better.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Simon. He's still such a mooncalf at times. And for some reason the voic
Taylor
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely my favorite out of the four Tad Williams books that I've read so far! Stone of Farewell is pure awesomeness! :)

My Goodreads Rating/Score: 5 out of 5 Stars / 10 out of 10 on my own scoring system.
Celine
Stone of Farewell, the sequel to The Dragonbone Chair and the second book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn epic fantasy series continues the journey of our cast of main characters - quite literally.

Simon and his friends might have found the sword Thorn, but a single sword is not enough to bring down King Elias. Meanwhile, Prince Josua flees from the Norn that have destroyed his army and his city. Miriamele and the mysterious Father Cadrach try to reach her uncle to appeal to him and get his to sup
David H.
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I feel we have a much larger cast in this book compared to the first in the trilogy, and it's so much the better for it, as we usually get to skip past the boring stuff and visit other plot threads doing interesting things. However, it suffers a bit from middle-book-syndrome, especially once you realize by the end that we ended up with 3 different groups of people just aiming to get to a single point. I'm very curious to see how this story will progress.

The final book will likely satisfy, b
Jacob
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
When I first read this book twenty years ago I was frustrated with the side characters/stories because I had no patience and thought this story should be about Seoman alone. Now I can laugh at how foolish and shallow I was and marvel at how beautiful the story truly is. Tiamak's inner struggles alone would be worth a story about. This is an excellently crafted tale that adds depth and life to this trilogy.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On my third (possibly fourth) reading of this book, I realized something: it was just as good as the first time I read it.

The splendid cast of characters, all real individuals, are just as engrossing. The layers of plot (and plotting) are just as tight and as fascinating.

Thus I maintain my stance that this is one of the best fantasy series of all time.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Beautiful prose, interesting and complex world, an extensive cast of well defined characters (even females!), however the pace was slower that I would have liked, I wasn’t exactly bored but I felt I was meandering along the story.
3.5 stars rounded down
Matthew Quann
While I loved the world-building and moderate pace of The Dragonbone Chair , I found myself missing the compulsive readability of a lot of modern fantasy. All the same, there were nuggets of classic fantasy I read as a fledgling that stoked the fires of nostalgia, while the signs of fantasy pivoting from its roots gave me a bit of historical satisfaction. You can imagine my pleasure when I discovered that Stone of Farewell picks up the pace and deepens the richness of Osten Ard.

I found myself fl
Eric
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as dramatic as the first book of this trilogy, but again, well written. Being a middle book, it ebbs and flows like an impatient stream itching to reach a river. Eventually, we get to the river, which is book three.

The author, in his acknowledgements calls Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn a bloated epic. A classic epic it is of good versus evil. Lots of characters, places and individual struggles to follow. So follow I will and onto book three, To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3) by Tad Williams To Green Angel Tower, go I.

York
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, owned, adventure
Liked it better than the first....good mix of action and "thinking" scenes....and as in the first book it is interesting to see where many themes and ideas for Game of Thrones came from...almost a 5...
Scott
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, fantasy
This one is a tough one for me.
It's a re-read and I haven't read this book since it was first released 30 so years ago.
My memory has always told me that it's my favorite fantasy series of all time and I loved the last book...this one was not as good.
The writing is beautiful, almost poetic.
The characters are amazing, probably a hundred or so, all fully formed. Interesting, conflicted, complex.
The plot is just what I like - epic, huge, sprawling, majestic.
But ...more
Max
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, hard-copy
This is one of my favourite series, ever. Tad Williams is my favourite author of fantasy. I met him once, and he is also hilariously funny and a good guy.

So, I can not give an unbiased review, hee hee. :-) Only praise for this series and everything else Tad writes.

I was looking for fantasy books like Lord of the Rings when someone recommended me this. And while you shouldn't compare anything to Tolkien in terms of writing (my humble opinion), these books are a whole diffe
Jenn
This amazing fantasy series continues in the second volume with more excellent plotting, characterizations, and world-building. It reminds me of the Two Towers, which is also a "middle" novel, where events continue to progress from the first novel (and there's a lot of traveling and characters moving around). I'm impressed with Williams' ability to create so many characters who are given interesting roles and backgrounds, and to weave their stories so effortlessly, but sometimes feel resentful w ...more
Nikki
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There are many things about this series which are just rather typical. You can predict a lot of the narrative beats and tropes, because it’s drawing from the same well of story as a lot of other epic fantasy. However, if you made it through the first book (a feat in itself just because of how long it is), you’re probably aware of that and on board for the characters. And I’m pleased to note that they don’t disappoint: Simon gets less annoying, Rachel the Dragon continues to play her part, Binabi ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
It's true, what they say, there is a lot of walking in this book. In fact, one could say that the entire book is, for the most part, one big journey. Don't be fooled, however, this is no mundane trek through a predictable fantasy world full of whimsy. It is a journey fraught with peril - filled with Giants and creatures that crawl beneath the ground - and not all the dangers are as mysterious as the creatures of legend, for the evils of man are just as treacherous as the teeth of the most fearso ...more
Aleah
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Readers of fantasy know that, quite often, the second book in a trilogy suffers from the dreaded "black sheep" syndrome. Book two is the slightly overlooked middle child. Less respected than the first and less spoiled than the last -- but necessary nonetheless. Characters often go on long journeys in the second book and think about things ad nauseam, all in preparation for whatever climax awaits in book three.

Luckily for us, Tad Williams is a master of the genre and handles this unfortunate yet

• King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
  • A Song for Arbonne
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
Tad Williams is a California-based fantasy superstar. His genre-creating (and genre-busting) books have sold tens of millions worldwide, in twenty-five languages. His considerable output of epic fantasy and science fiction book-series, stories of all kinds, urban fantasy novels, comics, scripts, etc., have strongly influenced a generation of writers: the ‘Otherland’ epic relaunches June 2018 as an ...more

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (3 books)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
“Not everyone can stand up and be a hero, Princess. Some prefer to surrender to the inevitable and salve their consciences with the gift of survival.” 12 likes
“Now I end my death song. I give my farewell to mountain and sky. It has been good to be alive.” 5 likes