Start by marking “Big Wave: Grade 7 8” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Big Wave: Grade 7 8

Pearl S. Buck

Big Wave: Grade 7 8

Kino lives on a farm on the side of a mountain in Japan. His friend, Jiya, lives in a fishing village below. Everyone, including Kino and Jiya, has heard of the big wave. No one suspects it will wipe out the whole village and Jiya's family, too. As Jiya struggles to overcome his sorrow, he understands it is in the presence of danger that one learns to be brave, and to appr ...more
Published (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Big Wave, please sign up.
Erin Pierce Without giving too much away...let's just say that both Jiya & Kino learn valuable life lessons about being truly "alive" and overcoming the trials th…moreWithout giving too much away...let's just say that both Jiya & Kino learn valuable life lessons about being truly "alive" and overcoming the trials that we all surely face.(less)

Start your review of Big Wave: Grade 7 8
Jonathan Peto
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-chapter
This short book for intermediate level readers is a simple story written in a majestic style that gives the narration the power of myth. I loved it. A boy named Kino tells most of the story even though the story's protagonist is probably his friend, Jiya. Jiya's father is a fisherman. They live in a small village on the Japanese coast. Kino lives on a farm on a terraced mountainside that overlooks the fishing village and the ocean.

The story is simple, but heavy with meaning. Kino's father is oft
Moonkiszt
Families, when they work, are the finest healing institutions of all.

In this short story of Ms. Buck's, a boy witnessing his family's demise, is folded in lovingly by a friend's family standing by and scooping him up. The father is so gentle and is the essence of all you want a father to be, as are all the members of this group.

From there the story continues, gently through the problems that arise.

I loved it. 5 stars, even though it is short.
Roxann
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I read this book with my students. We were studying natural diasters. This had a volcano, earthquake and a tsunami. The story has a village destroyed and families killed. The books covers a great deal and gives some insight to death, mourning and recovering.
Suraj B
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The name of the book is The Big Wave,by Pearl S. Buck. The story took place in an Island. Where big waves came and killed most of the people living in beach. People there farmed and fished the main character’s of book are Jiya, Kino, Setsu, father and the mother. Jiya’s family died in the big wave and he lived with the farmer Kino and Setsu family. Jiya and kino grew up to be a strong tall and handsome men's. After few years Jiya built a house where his parents and his brother lived, so he marr
Grace, Queen of Crows and Tomes
This is a nice short book that shows the results of tragedy and how someone overcomes tragedy, told simple enough for a child to understand. This is told in Kino's point of view, but it is really Jiya's story. It tells about the tragedy that befell him and how he eventually overcome it to continue living his life and to not be afraid. Good book to read if you want something short with a lesson.
Cheryl
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry I can't rate it higher. It probably deserves better, but I found it too short to be fully developed or to engage me. And even in this 25th anniversary edition the illustrations, famous art by Japanese persons, weren't reproduced cleanly.

But the intent was important. Buck published this in 1947, and the introduction makes it clear that it's a sort of an attempt at reconciliation and friendship between her American readership and the Japanese people, and an homage to their spirit and their c
Khagendra B
K.
A YES for the 12/13 yr. read aloud!

What a little treasure hiding in my library shelves! AT 57 pages one might not think there could be too much to it, only it's written by Pearl Buck, so of course she can pack everything she wanted to about the subject into such a tiny book.

I know next to nothing about the Japanese culture, but I felt captivated by the people in this book and their outlook on life.

I think this will be a great book to read aloud to kids of any age. If we don't read it to our F
Michelle Cotnoir
A captivating and beautiful story! We read this for school and couldn't put it down. I highly recommend it.
zabarj
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Kino lives on a farm on the side of a mountain in Japan. His friend, Jiya, lives in a fishing village below. Everyone, including Kino and Jiya, has heard of the big wave. No one suspects it will wipe out the whole village and Jiya's family, too. As Jiya struggles to overcome his sorrow, he understands it is in the presence of danger that one learns to be brave, and to appreciate how wonderful life can be.The famous story of a Japanese boy who must face life after escaping the tidal wave ...more
Teresa
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teresa by: Wicked Incognito Now
My thanks to April for letting me know about this book. I agree with her comments, and I also think it does a great job in bringing into the story why people rebuild in a devastated area.

These quotes from the story could've been written about here in N.O.:

father to son: "... Every day of life is more valuable now than it was before the storm."

'But time, however long, was split in two parts by the big wave. People spoke of "the time before" and "the time after" the big wave. The big wave had cha
Keri
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very short read with an incredibly powerful message. After a tsunami destroys a small fishing village in Japan, one surviving boy discovers that life is more powerful than death. A beautifully written story with lots to think about.
Tanya
Ashley VanDenBerghe
I read the book The Big Wave. It was a really good book and the author was very good. It is about a boy named Kino who lives on a farm. His friend Jiya lives on the beach because his father is a fisherman. There was a really bad storm coming so Jiya was told to go to the castle on the hill but he didn't want to leave his family. Jiya made it to Kino just in time. Jiyas whole family was killed so Kinos family took care of him. Jiya and Kinos sister got married once they were older. Jiya decided t ...more
Bethany Wright
A poignant story about life on the island of Japan in light of volcanoes and tsunamis. Although the story is simplistic, I found the father’s words about supporting someone through grief, loss, and death to be absolutely beautiful.

“What will we say to Jiya when he wakes?” he asked his father.
“We will not talk,” his father replied. “We will [sit with him and] give him warm food and let him rest. We will help him to feel he still has a home.” [...]
“I don’t think Jiya can ever be happy again,”
Deanna Anderson
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read The Pearl last year, I quickly became a fan of Pearl S. Buck. Her novels are short, more long long short stories, and they are perfect reads for a commute, vacation, or lazy day at home...and they are always poignant and hold some meaning. I guarantee that no matter what book you read or who the characters are or what culture they are from, you will find a little bit of yourself in any of her books.

In this one, devastation occurs on an island and lives are lost. The book then talks a
Abigail
This book surprised me. I really liked this book. It kinda scared me because it has a tsunami. I am scared of drowning, so it kinda triggered me. I thought is was really sad. A lot of people died from the incident. It surprised me that a wave that big, could kill millions of people. I have never been in the ocean. The title of the book really tells you what happens. I don’t recommend this book.
Andrew Nguyen
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short novella follows two Japanese boys, Jiya, the son of a fisherman, and Kino, the son of a farmer. The boys are best friends and often play in the ocean and fish together. One day, the very ocean that gave life to the fishing village, cruelly sweeps away the whole village. Jiya is one of the few survivors. What follows is a tale of friendship, family, grieving and healing.

I really like Pearl S Buck as a writer because she writes modern folktales that don’t end up being too corny or myst
Elizabeth
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and thoughtful. Positive message of hope after great hardship. Very short but many discussion points.
Pam
Wonderful grade school to mid-grade level book about surviving a natural disaster and learning an important life lesson!
Yi
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4children
This is one amazing book written by one amazing authoress! So many important topics were introduced in this heart-warming story about the lives of two little Japanese boys - natural disasters, life, death, friendship, courage, bravery, acceptance. In 78 pages (i.e. the edition I have), Pearl S. Buck was able to convey all these difficult topics to her readers, the young and the old, in such a way that one easily takes these ideas/Japanese philosophies to heart.

A few of my favourite quotes from
Anjali
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The theme of the book is always have family by your side .In the novel The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck young Kino lives in the island of Japan with his mother, father, and little sister Setsu. His best friend Jiya lives with his family in Japan near the water too. Every one has heard of the big wave and has believed in the big wave. Kino and Jiya do not even know what the big wave is .Never mind believe in it. When the big wave strikes Jiya goes through a loss. Jiya has lost his whole family and h ...more
Anne Elizabeth
Kori Looker
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Big Wave" is an inspiring story. Kino and his friend, Jiya, both live in Japan on different levels. Jiya lives on the beach as a fisherman. Kino lives on the mountain as a farmer. They both have heard of the big wave, but never thought much of it until it changed Jiya's life forever. The day the big wave came, Jiya lost his family, his home, and his happiness. Kino's family took Jiya in as their son. Jiya knew one day he would return to his home beach, and he did with Kino's sister, Setsu, ...more
Corbin Billington
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Big Wave is a book with great meaning and truly teaches readers a great significance to life. I gave The Big Wave four stars for the fact that it has more impact on the reader than most other books I have read. It tells a story of the people living in Japan and the dangerous things that could happen while living there. They know their lives are constantly on edge and somehow they learn to live with these fears while still enjoying life. In fact, life to them means more than to the average pe ...more
Aaron_ebert
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-13
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Corbin Billington
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Big Wave" was a book based on the life of the fictional character Jiya, a young boy from a farm village placed directly in between the ocean and the Mountains of Japan. Jiya's family died in the great storm and his best friend's parents were forced to raise him as their own. An old gentleman who owned a school specifically designed for orphans came and offered to adopt Jiya as his own son! You will have to read the book to find out the ending. This book would be perfect for children between ...more
Elizabeth Ricks
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olivia's class read this book, and I wanted to see what kinds of things they are reading. I would definitely expect a masterpiece like this from Pearl Buck. It didn't disappoint. There are so many things to talk about that I think I will "assign" it for one of our upcoming FHEs and have us discuss it. I think all of the grandkids from kindergarten on up would understand it. It's a must read and at only 61 pages is completely doable.

Who wants me to send them a copy of it?

I read it again, and I l
Fusako
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The copy of this book I was given to read from my teacher was an old, beat up book that was stapled together with tape all down the spine. This gave me a clear first impression of the book: that it was a VERY frequently read book. And after reading it, I could see why. "The big wave" is an amazing story and to me, mostly a recovery story. After the tsunami hits jiya has to live with kino's family and has to recover from his being washed away.
Michael
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this book to my six year old, all in one sitting. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is excellent on many levels, good for both adults and children. The quality of the writing, the beautiful illustrations, the cultural connections, the perfect blending of scientific and mythic explanations for tidal waves, the reflections on life, death, and fear: all of these work together wonderfully.
Wicked Incognito Now
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, a study of Japanese culture, or dealing with scary weather phenomenon
Recommended to Wicked Incognito Now by: from the Sonlight book list
This is excellent for opening the discussion with children about fear of natural disasters.

Pearl S. Buck teaches us to love life for what it is, not to fear the unknown......

Short, children's story.

• Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze
  • I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade
  • Sweet and Sour: Tales from China
  • Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes
  • Burying the Sun  (Angel on the Square, #3)
  • Gods Adventurer
  • Homesick: My Own Story
  • The Turning (Angel on the Square, #4)
  • The Year of the Dog
  • Rickshaw Girl
  • The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam
  • Breaking Stalin's Nose
  • Call It Courage
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more