Start by marking “Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When you’re new to the workforce, ambition and talent aren’t enough—getting on the fast track to success requires much more.

If you’re a recent college graduate or new hire, Effective Immediately shows you how to excel at your first job and jump-start your career. As an up-and-coming professional, you’ll learn how to transform yourself from entry-level employee into skilled
Published April 13th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Effective Immediately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effective Immediately

Jessica Lawlor
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Even though I recently hit my one year anniversary at my first real out of college job, for some reason, this book appealed to me anyway and I decided to pick it up. I really enjoy career books, and figured that even though this information is targeted at very new grads and professionals, the advice in the book could really apply to anyone looking to be better in their careers. And after finishing the book, I can say that this statement is 100 percent true. While this book was written for new pr ...more
surpriseitsnada
Interesting and informative, but some suggesions are outdated. This suggests arriving before 8 for a job that begins at 8:30. Not realistic orneccessary. Arrive on time or a few minutes early. It also suggests standing when an executive enters the room. Really? No one does this, outside of extremely unique and formal settings (i.e., welcoming forign dignitaries). There is some good advice in this book, with some of it being more realistic and practical than others.
Alex
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good general tips - great if you are new, but most of this stuff you can learn as you go. Might save you some early mistakes if it really is your first job. Just don't suck up and focus on your real goals (don't be a slave to the system...)
Rachel
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of good, basic advice about how to become a truly valuable part of your team at work and then move up to where you want to be in your career. It's also written in a very cheerful, engaging style. It is definitely geared toward people who want to be at the top of their field in the business world or at least an office job, so it doesn't have much to say that's specific to careers in academia, the arts, the trades, etc., but a lot of the advice would probably transfer well to o ...more
Joshua Tuck
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book upon being hired for a seasonal internship at the accounting firm Dixon-Hughes because the co-author, Emily Bennington, already worked there in marketing. The day after receiving this book in the mail, I attended a short talk at my graduate school by Mrs. Bennington, about personal branding and resumes/online presence. Meeting her only days before I was to begin my internship was very helpful and this book gave great advice for starting a new job.

Most of it is common sense
Avolyn Fisher
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book is filled with helpful "nuggets" that you will be glad you learned and want to remember for the future. Unfortunately 1/3 of the book is pure raw common sense. I guess I can't say that with 100% of the population as a broad over statement but for anyone who is familiar with the business world, read books, or had a decent amount of mentoring, it will be common sense. I don't regret reading the book and I will hold onto it for future reference for a few of the items but it was definitely ...more
Lisa
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Non-Fiction - Business - Career Development) Awesome book. Although it is marketed towards new college grads in their first real job, this book is a refreshing and empowering read for anyone beginning a new job. Regardless, any working professionals will enjoy the short chapters (1-3 pages) and wide array of tips for success.
Abdulaziz Alzain
This book is not only for the people on their first job, but it will make you effective immediately for your fourth and fifth job! A must read this book will make your boss and colleagues looking forward to work with you. So always be effective!
Sonya
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Finally! A book that is very actionable, no b.s., and useful on starting a new job, or getting a promotion. I loved it! I recommend re-reading this book every time you get a new job or think about your next promotion.
Torpor
Oct 30, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Talks about what to do what not to do in your first job. One can relate easily to things mentioned in the book for a beginner.
From coming to work on time to dinner etiquettes .. books has it all.
Section 20
Rachel Thell
This was an easy read and was very informative. Would definitely recommend this to anyone starting their first professional job.
BLACK CAT
General advice and tips on people skills and management for newbies.
Iyad Al Aqel
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
" Effective Immediately " will assure you a smooth transition from collage life to professional life. Practical tips for each day business situations . A must read for recent graduates .
Karima Sundarji
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it for work to train our newbies
Elaine
Mar 24, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
New culture, new world. How to adapt and find your place.

This book is in Birdsong 207.
Austin Copp
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information for new graduates who are just starting their careers. Tips and tricks on prioritizing, organizing and handling office drama.
Ernest Sneed
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A good book to learn the basics of the expectations of a new employee. An introduction to workplace etiquette and office politics. Read it before starting a first internship or job.
Renee
Jul 18, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career-advice
The author lead an awesome webinar at CareeRealism: http://www.careerealism.com/7-boss-da..., which makes me think this will be equally helpful.

Ayu
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great tips. Will read again in three months.
Ryan Go
Aug 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Dream Year: Make the Leap from a Job You Hate to a Life You Love
  • The Brand You 50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • Fumbling the Future: How Xerox Invented, Then Ignored, the First Personal Computer
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Raising Venture Capital for the Serious Entrepreneur
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Startup CEO: A Field Guide to Scaling Up Your Business, + Website
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
  • Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go from Manager to Leader
  • The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital: Management Lessons from the Pioneers of Private Investing
  • The Bliss List: Discover What Truly Makes You Happy--Then Land Your Dream Job
  • What's the Alternative? Career Options for Librarians and Info Pros
EMILY BENNINGTON is a frequent speaker on the topic of career success and has been featured on Fox Business, CNN, and ABC, and quoted in publications including the Wall Street Journal, New York Post, and Washington Post Express. She is a contributing writer for Monster.com, a featured blogger for The Huffington Post, Forbes Woman, and US News and World Report.
More about Emily Bennington...