Start by marking “Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes (Peter Nimble #1)” as Want to Read:
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes (Peter Nimble #1)

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes

(Peter Nimble #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  8,023 ratings  ·  1,198 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Night Gardener, Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes is the utterly beguiling tale of a ten-year-old blind orphan who has been schooled in a life of thievery. One fateful afternoon, he steals a box from a mysterious traveling haberdasher—a box that contains three pairs of magical eyes. When he tries the first pair, he is ins ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, please sign up.
Vid And It depends. I'm reading it now and so far the main character's eyes are pecked out by ravens in the first chapter. Then in Chap. 11 the ravens commit…moreIt depends. I'm reading it now and so far the main character's eyes are pecked out by ravens in the first chapter. Then in Chap. 11 the ravens commit a "cold blooded murder". It might be not be appropriate if your child likes ravens or hasn't been desensitized to murder yet. A child with a strong imagination might be haunted by this.

Also worth noting: up to this point, Peter is physically, verbally and emotionally abused by his care-taker and there's some animal abuse as well; where some boys throw knives at a zebra.(less)
Melanie Dulaney I'm sure there are others. Like I tell my library patrons, there is a book for everybody, but not every book is for everybody! Go find something that…moreI'm sure there are others. Like I tell my library patrons, there is a book for everybody, but not every book is for everybody! Go find something that is fo you!(less)

·  8,023 ratings  ·  1,198 reviews

Betsy
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
What is the most telling difference between those works of children’s literature written long ago and those written today? Pose this question to a room full of children’s librarians and I suspect that the answers would be myriad. Books today are less racist. They’re willing to push more boundaries. They’re smarter, hipper, less didactic, and so on and such. Pose the question to a room full of kids now. What do they answer? Would they even know where to begin? I wonder since the memorable childre ...more
Mike
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I’ve been looking forward to Peter Nimble since the moment I came across Jonathan Auxier’s website, The Scop. The site is simple, the sketches are fun and that might be the best “about me’ section I’ve ever seen. So to hear Jonathan was publishing his first middle-grade this fall, literally made me giddy. Then I found that this particular middle grade novel is set in a quazi-Victorian age, starring a blind-orphan-thief.

Here’s what I need: books that I can look a kid in the eye and say, “Trust me
Miss Bookiverse
Dear Peter Nimble,
I’m sorry, but you and me, that’s just not going to work.
After an 86 pages long relationship I must admit you bore me. I know you are meant to entertain my inner child but either that child is on vacation or you’re not doing a very good job.
Also I think you’re overdoing it. Seriously, is there anything you can’t do? You are blind, yet you learned to smell and listen to the world as if it was right in front of you. You even learned how to stop your own heart beat so the dogs won
Kiera
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
April
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Now, for those of you who know anything about blind children, you are aware that they make the very best thieves.”

pg. 3

When I read books like Peter Nimble And His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier, I get disappointed. Disappointed because mediocre books are hyped so heavily, while truly timeless books like this one don’t even hit my radar unless I have to read it for something (CYBILS). Peter Nimble And His Fantastic Eyes is a truly magical read about a blind orphan, Peter Nimble obvs, who is t
Alexandra
Excellent and imaginative Middle Grade Fantasy Adventure.

9/24/18 Kindle version on sale today for $2.99.
SwensonBooks
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: danielle
Jonathan Auxier’s debut book, Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, released August 1st by Amulet Books, is an imaginative attempt within the Young Adult (YA) fiction genre. But what appears to be the beginning of an action-and-adventure-filled series starring a persevering and original cast of characters is in reality an imaginative but half-hearted tale foiled by an amateur voice and copycat style.

By his own admission in the book’s acknowledgments, Auxier is a thief like his protagonist Peter N
Sabrina
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
The storyline is just ridiculous-crazy. Things happen so fast and so out of the blue, it’s almost delightful. At first the adult in me was putting up a fight and going “Say whaa?”. Pretty soon, I shelved that irritating grown-up sixth sense and just immersed myself in the fantasy that is Peter Nimble. The creatures he meets are truly weird, his companions are funny, and his enemies are deliciously nasty! For me it was like reading The Phantom Tollbooth meets any Roald Dahl book meets Peter Pan m ...more
Lea
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Initially I really enjoyed this book -- the writing is clever and amusing, but I felt the story had several parts that were just jarring, considering that this is a kids' book.

Peter Nimble is found as an infant, floating on the ocean in a basket. His eyes have been pecked out by a raven.

Okay, what?!

Things get no better for Peter after he's rescued by sailors -- he's left at the nearest port town, where officials name him, then abandon him again on the streets to fend for himself. As a baby!!

Brenda
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a grand adventure; funny, scary, prophetic and imaginative. Peter Nimble has been blind all his life. Because he is blind, his other senses provide information the rest of us don't even notice - the smells of stones and of wealth, the sound of beating hearts and of friendship. These abilities lead him to becoming an extraordinary thief; perhaps the best thief in all the world. He can pick any lock. At the end of one particularly difficult lock-picking challenge he discovers a box containing ...more
Pandora
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book is divided into three parts: Gold, Onyx, and Emerald. The first part Gold is very strong and I was enjoying the story. There was a dark quirky humor to the story that was like Pullman's I Was a Rat. Examples:
"One problem with a life of crime is that it lowers your chances of social advancement."

"You see, when it rains, rich people seldom come out for fear of melting."

Unfortunarely the book goes on to epic length without having a story to support such length - the book is 381 pages lo
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes is one part fairy tale, one part epic adventure and one part magical. It's charming, witty and is definitely an unforgettable read. With everything Peter Nimble's story entails, this book has the same feel as the classic, ageless fairy tales I grew up reading or had read to me. Jonathan Auxier's fresh voice combines an array of timeless fairytale elements, and yet creates a story that in unlike anything I've read before.

Peter Nimble is a character who
Diane
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this aloud to my two children (age 7 and 10). It did a great job holding the attention of my 10 year old, but not so much my 7 year old. I cannot imagine many children younger than 10 years old reading the book on their own as many words are fairly complex, even for some adults. Despite that, it is a very fun, whimsical book. As an adult, you have to lose your grip on reality and just go with it.

I loved Peter Nimble's character and he has to be the best thief that has ever lived. He had a
Kayla
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dolly
This is an odd, but dramatic tale about fulfilling a legacy and embracing your true nature.

I liked it, but I had a lot of trouble staying engaged with the story and I put it down many times in favor of another book.

The story is sometimes violent, sometimes suspenseful, and often just...weird.

I have to admit, though, that once I committed to finish the book, I began to become enthralled with the storytelling.

You know that a book is good when you plan to read just a couple of pages, but find yo
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Peter Nimble, a boy who was abandoned as an infant, is the greatest thief in the world. Despite the fact that he is blind, he can pick locks and sniff out loot better than any other thief. He finally stumbles into an adventure that sends him to a lost land to save a bunch of people from some bad things that are happening.

I'm having a tough time figuring out what I liked and did not like about this story. It took me over two weeks to read this whole book, a snail's pace for a determined summer r
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Originally Reviewed on The Book Smugglers: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2011/08/j...

REVIEW

First Impressions:

Ana: I am just going to be upfront and start by saying: this book broke my heart. I love stories with thieves as protagonists and I was most intrigued and happy to see a blind kid as the main character of this story. And I was delighted with about 99% of the book: it is a fun book, it is wonderfully written, the story itself has awesome twists and turns and right up until the very endin
Hannah Jayne
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A fairytale. Written like a Classic.... with Updated Bonus Materials. So many things in this book made me reminisce of so many things in other books; I could say “it was like ______ “ with at least 11 (just counted) separate things, but in the end it’s not really like any of them. In the end, it is it’s own. It’s own wild adventure of friends and family and children and imagination. And I laughed and I cringed and I got confused and things made sense. I’m really glad I liked the cover. Because I ...more
Sierra Abrams
Received: Audiobook from library
Rating: 5/5 stars
Recommended to: 10+

SUMMARY -
Peter Nimble is nothing but a blind thief. He steals from pockets, purses, and shops. He is light on his feet and smart with his fingers. He has a gift for thievery, and that's all he's ever done...
But when a strange man appears in town, showcasing something marvelous, and blackmails Peter in
Joceline Foley
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes is a classic hero-on-a-quest novel, yet it manages to be anything but predictable and boring. The archetypal characters are fresh, funny, and smart.

What I loved:
--The fly on the wall narrator, who tells the story with wry asides and witty wordplay.
--The view of the world, reminiscent of Roald Dahl's children's novels, that adults are evil and stupid, for the most part, and children are the smart, brave heroes who can be trusted above anyone else.
--The author'
Kwoomac
I generally love a story with a quest. But... Our young hero, ten-year-old Peter Nimble, who is blind, is sent on a vague quest to save an unknown someone from something in a place that no longer exists. The characters are quirky and Peter has to figure out who the good guys and bad guys are and then fight for what's right.

There was actually a bit too much carnage in the story for me. Lots of people and animals getting slaughtered left and right. I thought it was overkill (ha!). And a personal p
Kevin Farrell
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable YA book. I could not put it down and give it at least 4-1/2 stars.

The main character is Peter who was found floating in a small crib with his eyes pecked out by ravens. Kind of a rough start. Following that was a very rough childhood that lead him to become a great child thief. Then he is suddenly sent toward his destiny on a mission with a most unlikely companion.

I liked the subtle humor that the author has sprinkled throughout the book. There are impossible characters
Jen  Bigheart
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed
This book is exactly what you would expect from the cover. What about the "fantastic" eyes? I'll tell you, they are magical! They get Peter - and cast of characters - out of harrowing situations, they put him in harrowing situations, but most of all....they take him for a wild ride. Fun fantasy suited for upper elem and middle grader! Language is challenging for the smarty-pants, and the adventure will keep every kid tuned in. I hate to say that this book is perfect for a male reluctant reader ( ...more
Danielle
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Ugghh This is a hard one to review! I liked some parts and other parts I didn't. I would not let my kids read this book, there are some violent parts that would scare my son (he has autism). Saying that I might read any further books in the series, I kinda want to know what's going to happen but not enough to add to my long TBR.
Angela Seals
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have ever pre-ordered before publication. Can't wait to get my hands on it in August.
DAYADEW
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hot belgian waffles, you know you're getting older when the author describes the hero as a thief who has survived since birth on a LIFETIME of stealing but "doesn't really like doing it and feels guilty about it," and instead of thinking "Awww, what a nice kiddo," you end up with "Are you kidding?? He's an orphan! No one's ever taught him stealing is wrong, at this point it's a necessity, how will he regret stealing when it's all he's ever known to survive? Not to mention he'll prolly have no ro ...more
Kayla
There's one thing I love as much as fairy tales and fairy tale retellings: books that have completely unique plots that are told with a fairy tale voice. That fantastical tone where magical things can happen and they're just matter-of-fact, because of course these wondrous plots are just seen as normal in a fairy tale world. The writing in Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes is amazing and beautiful, so I definitely want to read more by this author.

That said, the plot of the book does drag a bi
Maham
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
❤❤ ...more
Emily Goldthwaite
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! So amazing. Our whole family loved it. Two years later our child who was five at the time, still talks about it, and I often find myself thinking about it. Loved it!
Brian Williams
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
PETER NIMBLE AND HIS FANTASTIC EYES
By Jonathan Auxier

When a book starts with a small infant baby boy having his eyes plucked out by a raven it really must be read to completion. And so that’s what happen when I choose Peter Nimble And His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier for my before bed read. But ahead of getting way into the story discussion let’s talk about how this book came into my hands in the first place.

While attending ALA11 in New Orleans one of our biggest “Have To’s” was I had to me
Friends with Books: Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes 1 16 Dec 28, 2012 06:18PM

• Juniper Berry
  • The Mostly True Story of Jack
  • The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
  • Between Two Ends
  • The Friendship Doll
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery,  a Very Strange Adventure
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Windblowne
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • Aliens on Vacation (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #1)
  • Junonia
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
  • On the Blue Comet
  • Vanished
  • Liesl & Po
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • Cold Cereal (The Cold Cereal Saga, #1)

Peter Nimble (2 books)
  • Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard (Peter Nimble #2)
“Now, there is a wonderful thing in this world called "foresight". It is a gift treasured above all others because it allows one to know what the future holds. Most people with foresight end up wielding immense power in life, often becoming great rulers or librarians.” 35 likes
“A boy your age should know better than to consider anything impossible.” (p 62)” 21 likes