Jump to ratings and reviews

Misfit

Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She’s changed schools too many times to count. The only family she’s ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother—well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn’t exactly help.

But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.

Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.

384 pages, Hardcover

24 books569 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
307 (8%)
1 star
171 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 484 reviews
Profile Image for Wendy Darling.
1,519 reviews33.8k followers
January 10, 2013
Annnd I'm done at 6%. Aside from a whole mess of writing issues, I expect to be a little more immersed in the characters and the story in a YA novel before I have to listen to an anecdote about a girl going down on a guy just because he bought her dinner at a fancy restaurant.
Profile Image for Kitten Blue.
670 reviews365 followers
November 14, 2011
First of all, Jon Skovron is a really talented writer with loads of very interesting things to say, not to mention he's downright hilarious at times. However: (1) I can see why this book rubs some people up the wrong way. (2) It's pretty obvious why most of the rest find it aggravating, too.

MY biggest problem is that about 50% of Misfit is comprised of flashback scenes. Don't get me wrong, this is fascinating info-dumpage; unfortunately - IT'S STILL INFO-DUMPAGE. As much as I want to know about everything that has happened in the past, in *HuMoNgoNoRMouS* detail, I'd like to spend time with Jael and Rob more. This is just my personal reading preference, though. Characters make or break books for me, so if I'm dragged away from the protagonist for too long, I get Super Mega Antsy. Think Daughter of Smoke and Bone - the second half was like pulling teeth.

OTHER PEOPLE'S biggest problem will be the religious whatnot. As long as reading about it doesn't leave me Deathly Bored, I couldn't care either way how authors choose to twist the heaven and hell stuff, but that's because I don't believe in it anyway, so I can appreciate the wonderful world of artistic license. Not everyone is like me, though, and this book WILL PISS THEM OFF, GUARANTEED, because if there's one thing I've learned about religious people, it's that they tend towards taking EVERYTHING personally.

Mmmm ... that's all ... a good read, but kind of a chore to get through ... The End.

P.S. My brain decided to call Jael's succubus mom, Astarte, Ass Tart. This was very distracting.
Profile Image for Heidi.
Author 13 books455 followers
March 1, 2011
Smart, sexy and truly dangerous, MISFIT breaks new ground without forgetting the heart of its story. Though MISFIT is written for teens, adults, too, will appreciate its nuance, philosophical nature, and particularly the back story of Jael's parents, which is beautifully and painfully rendered. Math geek/skater boy Rob is about the freshest love interest I've read in awhile- he reads like someone you could really know, while still transcending the page. Skovron writes our tortured heroine Jael sympathetically and with guts. MISFIT made me laugh, cry and, most importantly, think—about what matters in life and the choices we make to get there.

I love this book and can't wait to recommend it to everyone I know.

Profile Image for Rachel.
495 reviews50 followers
August 3, 2011
You can find more reviews on my blog: Paper Cuts

I found it better than people have been making it out to be, though it did have its flaws.

I had a hard time getting into Misfit, but I trudged through, and once I got a little bit into it, the book got quite interesting. I think my original problems stemmed from the book being written in third person present tense. It reads like, "Jael sees her father's face," which just feels so unbelievably awkward to me. It also seemed to create a distance from the protagonist; we know everything she thinks, but it's not worded like she's telling us, but some other random person hanging around who happens to know all. But once I got over the writing, the story of Misfit hooked me.

I liked the different approach to demons, especially the fact that the author doesn't even delve into angels, which is obviously the more glamorous of the two. I also liked that the demons of today are actually the fallen gods of former civilizations. That connection to history makes the demons seem more plausible in today's world.

I also found most of the characters to be interesting. I am dying to know exactly how Dagon ended up where he was. I also felt like he was a very good character; a fallen god, resorting to being a baker in Hell, but very caring and nurturing towards his niece. Plus he always had sage-like advice. :) I didn't connect so much with Jael, but found myself not caring about that so much. I liked Jael's parent's relationship a lot, and felt like her mother, Astarte, was really the heart of the story. The flashbacks depicting Jael's parents were actually my favorite parts of the whole book.

I found the story to be compelling and the plot moved along. I never found myself getting bored with what was happening in the book or wondering when something exciting was going to happen, which is always a good thing. That comes from the interspersing of action-packed flashbacks, rather than the straight telling of just what was happening to Jael, and it worked quite well for me.

My biggest complaint from Misfit is the third person present tense. I have never been a fan of present tense in novels, but at least when it's in first person I can relate to the protagonist. I found myself not really caring about what happened to Jael except in how that would affect her family and friends. (Bad, I know.)

Oh! Almost forgot. I LOVED Jael's demon powers. I love love love how she has to communicate with elements, rather than just manipulate them to her will. I think it's unique and betrays the author's respect for the earth (No, I am not a hippie, but I can appreciate someone who cares.)

Misfit is a book I didn't expect to like, but found myself entranced by the engaging secondary characters and unique mythology.

*Warning* There is a decent amount of cussing and some lewd content, and I wouldn't recommend the book for younger YA readers.
Profile Image for starryeyedjen.
1,640 reviews1,231 followers
July 8, 2011
Review originally posted at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book going into it. I'd read the synopsis and was vaguely aware that it was about a teenage girl, demons, and supernatural powers. Sounded like my kinda read.

But the writing just blew me away! The story is written on a level that young and old alike can enjoy. The author exceptionally weaves philosophy and mythology into the back story of his heroine and her not-so-priestly father, and even though you start off feeling sorry for Jael's situation and resolve to dislike her dad, you find yourself rooting for Jael and empathizing with her father as they battle demons hell-bent on revenge.

While scuffling with demons and learning about her new-found powers, Jael still has time to develop feelings for her friend Rob. This love-interest is the kind of guy I was drawn to when I was in high school. He wasn't perfect and he didn't have it all figured out, but best of all, Jael didn't make what was going on between them a priority over the things that should have taken precedence in her life, namely keeping herself alive. It was quite refreshing to read a romantic lead who wasn't the end-all for the main character.

Jon Skovron has created an intriguing world within a world, full of darkness and danger but not without it's tender moments. The story is gutsy and heart-breaking and forces the reader to analyze their own beliefs and actions when faced with difficult decisions. MISFIT was a fantastic read, and I highly recommend you pick it up when it comes out next month.

I received a copy of this book for review from Netgalley.
Profile Image for Krystle.
872 reviews337 followers
September 8, 2011
I don't think I've ever dropped a book this fast before. Page 8. I can't comment on the characterizations, plot, themes, or relationships because, obviously, I didn't get that far into the book and I won't ever be able to make an honest assessment of them.

But what I can do is say what turned me off - the writing. This book is written in present tense and I am very wary of books with this type of style because it's very difficult to make it work. I've been lucky in that I've found some real superb books but this is one where it just fails horribly. The prose is just so awkward, rough, and doesn't flow at all. I keep noticing how much it gets in the way of the story and to be honest it feels like this is the author's first attempt at ever writing in this style and it really, really shows.
Profile Image for OpenBookSociety.com .
3,806 reviews116 followers
March 26, 2012
Brought to you by OBS staff member Annabell

Beware of spoilers

Jael Thompson has spent most of her life moving around with her father who used to be an ex-priest. Her father is more equipped as a boot camp sergeant than a father to a sixteen year old teenager. Jael finally feels at home in Seattle. She has a new best friend, Britt, and a new crush on a genius skater named Rob. But in the back of Jael’s mind she hangs onto the fear that her father will force them to move again. Jael and her father hold a very dark secret: her mother used to be a demon and Jael’s father lives in constant paranoia they will be caught by Hell’s minions who are seeking them. On Jael’s sixteenth birthday, her father gifts her with a necklace her mother had left behind for her along with the big secret he has been keeping for years: the necklace contains Jael’s demon essence. Once Jael’s powers are placed into her, she instantly becomes a powerful threat to Hell and the Grand Duke Belial is sending everything he can after her. Belial loathes half-breeds and is also after Jael for revenge for what her mother did to him. He will use anything he can to take Jael down, including her best friend and her big crush.

There are moments when a book leaves you completely breathless. Where the heroine may be flawed but redeems herself through growth in maturity and wise decisions. A book that leaves you wonderfully satisfied when you read it. Well, Misfit is not that novel.

Jael is one of the most selfish heroines I have ever read. She lacks common sense and wisdom. She also has no skill for self-preservation. Her attitude toward her father was such a big turn off. She was always acting so bratty and like a know-it-all even though she knew nothing about being a demon! She uses her powers in the open multiple times even though she’s been warned that’s how Belial will be able to find her. Britt, her best friend, was another lousy character. She is crass, superficial, vain, and irritating. She cares more about boys than self-respect. She was useless to the story except to deliver a very predictable outcome later on. Belial, the Grand Duke, that is built up so much throughout the novel, completely disappoints when he is finally revealed. He is far too cliché of a villain with his huge ego and even bigger monologues.

There are a few good characters. Rob is a skater who from the outside looks as if he cares more about outdoor acrobats than school. But he is actually a math and chemistry genius. He is really sweet, optimistic, and loveable. Uncle Dagon, demon baker for Hell and the brother of Jael’s mother, gave the story much of the comic relief it needed and provided a break in the always serious Paul (Jael’s father) and Jael’s angst.

One of the elements of the plot I really didn’t care for was the fact that Jael could see someone’s spirit and affect it. She uses that power on Rob even though she knows how incredibly dangerous it is and stupidly does it in public. She could have killed Rob! It made the romance between Rob and Jael seem completely fraudulent. Jael had no redeeming qualities so I couldn’t believe Rob could actually fall for her. Another element that made the plot fall apart was the fact that Jael was strong enough to defeat the Grand Duke of Hell, Belial. She has only had her powers for a very short amount of time and has no real way to control them. She makes more mistakes than progress, yet she somehow miraculously is able to defeat Belial. It was too unbelievable, even for a fantasy/supernatural novel. There should have been more of a build up. The dialogue was also a problem. So much of the dialogue read too dry and stale making it harder to connect with the story and characters.

The only real aspect of the this book that I truly enjoyed and loved were the flashback scenes of Jael’s parents, Paul and Astarte. The scenes were centered around how they met, fell in love, and fought demons together. I would have preferred very much for the author to have created a novel around Paul and Astarte (even though the constant reminder of Astarte’s beauty was borderline annoying at times). Jael’s story is just too boring and irritating because she is far too rebellious against a father who loves her and is trying to protect her, and cares more about herself than others.

Misfit has potential to be a good book but is lacking, the main character ruins the unique premise behind the story. The book doesn’t end on a cliffhanger but offers a doorway for the author to create more novels. I do hope Jael’s character improves far better in later additions.
Profile Image for Shelley.
5,100 reviews458 followers
July 16, 2011
*Rating* 2.5 stars
*Genre: Young Adult Occult/Paranormal

*Review*

Misfit, by Jon Skovron, is the story of sixteen year old Jael Thompson who is a half demon, half mortal teenager who believes that her father, Paul Thompson, has no respect for her whatsoever and is a boring man who has somehow lost his way and is now stuck teaching at a Catholic High School in Seattle. She whines and bemoans about not being able to afford new clothes, or have an allowance and the fact that he forces her to eat generic cereal for breakfast. Typical teenaged angst.

Her friend Brittany Brougher, even though she claims to be a devout Catholic, considers having sex with any boy that charms her pants off as being totally fine. Then, of course there is skater boy Rob McKinney who comes along and ends up being an item together with Jael. Rob immediate acceptance of Jael’s secret was a bit over the top in my opinion. You would expect more from a teen with his background and so called intelligence.

This could be considered a coming of age party for Jael in that she finally learns about her heritage, as well as whom her mother was, on the day she turns sixteen. When her father gives her the necklace her mother made for her when she was just a baby, her demon powers come full circle. She also finally understands why her father moved her so many times to keep her away from harm in the form of a demon called Belial.

Her mother was known as Astarte, as well as others depending on where she was at the time in history. Her father, it turns out, was a top notched demon hunter who was feared by hell’s minions. Astarte was also a succubus, whose powers are now manifesting in her daughters.

Note of contention: I was more than happy to read and follow the history of Astarte and the many other names she went by including Lilith the first woman. I was even happy knowing that her father wasn’t really this boring, non-caring entity who went through life moping around the house keeping secrets from Jael while continually running at a moments notice. I even liked her demon uncle Dagon who helps Jael discover her elemental powers and who she really is. I enjoyed reading the back story about how Astarte and Paul met and fell in love. I personally think Paul and Astarte’s story would have made an excellent novel if Skovron had decided to do an adult book, rather than a so called young adult novel.

The thing about this story is the whole idea of the Catholic Church hiding a half breed and helping them hide from Belial is a little bit like a Dan Brown novel. Then, of course, there is the whole priest who believes Jael is possessed and demands that she adhere to an exorcism thanks to her good friend Brittany.

I am pretty sure with the way that this book ended; this is the first book in a new series by this author. If not, he has a lot of explaining to do. He has to explain how he can leave the story the way he did without explaining certain characters like Ms. Speilman and her powers of healing. He has to explain why he ended the book by naming the rest of the Demons in hell that may be coming after Jael now that she has put a chink into Belial’s plans of killing her. And, lastly, he needs to be able to look himself in the mirror and wonder if writing a book for young adults is the way to go.

ARC Recvd from Netgalley.com. Book releases 08/01/2011
Profile Image for Gatorgal21.
134 reviews
June 14, 2011
This is actually a first for me, I am writing a review about a book that I have not actually finished. I wasn't expecting too much from Misfit, all I really wanted was a good, paranormal romance that would hopefully keep me, and anyone else entertained for a few days. I horribly misjudged it unfortuanately. Not to say that there wasn't good things in it, the back story about her Father and her Mother was pretty interesting, the skater boy love interest had potential to be very different and refreshing, and the over-all concept wasn't bad at all. But those few spots of light are drowned out by all the other junk that screams through this book. I'll start with the swearing, it wasn't atrocious, but it definitely wasn't clean either. I can usually deal with that though, what I cannot deal with though, is a paranormal romance that delves way too deep into religion. I'm okay with the recent angel novels, that stretch the truth soemtimes too fit their fictional story, but this one went a bit far for me. I did not like the view it took on Catholicism, or Christianity, I did not like the views it took on heaven and hell, and I definitely did not like the way it made my stomach hurt just by reading it and the bad taste it left in my mouth. Now, I read the reviews other people put on it, and all of them liked it, so if you have no problem with the stuff I mentioned, have at it. However, if you have any sort of faith, I would stay far away.
Reviwed by Kathryn Taylor
Profile Image for Christy LoveOfBooks.
841 reviews568 followers
July 22, 2016
I love this book. Sometimes when I love a book, it's hard for me to articulate exactly why. That seems to be the case with Misfit, but I'll try naming a few reasons. I loved the blending of so many beliefs through history. Jael kicks ass! Rob and Jael's relationship. How her mother's story was told. The use of the elements. On and on...

I don't know if Skovron plans on making this into a series, but I really hope so!
Profile Image for Teatree.
27 reviews24 followers
June 23, 2013
BAD d-n-f for me means i made it to 100 pg.s and do not want to read any more.
**WARNING SPOILERS OF THE FIRST 100 PAGES**
REVIEW: the first 13 pg.s were good. the next couple of chapters were o.k.even though they didn't give enough info at times to let the reader know what was going on,and out of place in the story her bff tells her a cute guy who has a great car took her to a "fancy" restaurant, so she went down on him( WHAT ! women DO NOT think that way).Jael knows nothing about her mom except that she was a demon and shes now dead.
Then in ch 4 it's the story of how Father Paul (Jael's dad) met Astarte (Jael's mom). I was really looking forward to this part of the story.But I was disappointed and confused by the whole thing. It was an academic attraction ,they talked about history and theology for like 4 pg.s then BAM ! Insta-love (because she saw his soul-no sex)But what had me con-fuzzed was the description of who Astarte was, it says she was;a demon, a succubus, The Phoenician goddess, Aphrodite, Venus, Isis, Durga, Gauri,& Kali.And later Erzulie, Freda among others( I'm not going to list them all I think you get the idea.It's like the author just put down what ever goddess came to mind-ALL of them REALLY !! it's to much and the goddess thing doesn't fit with the demon & catholic thing AT ALL.)) She says she was a goddess and now shes a demon because that's what people believe.She tells him about hell. Apparently its been a long time since her and Lucifer Morningstar/Satan have talked...then she looks into his eyes and is able to meet with his soul.Then the next morning he walks out the door to kill himself by jumping off a cliff.She appears out of nowhere in perfect time and saves him.They say they love each other.The story skips to they've been married for yr.s and fighting demons together.Apparently the demons are getting into real estate and it's up to Paul and Astarte to stop them(yes you heard right the big evil plan is real estate.I don't know why buying real estate is evil they never say.)And then there's the name dropping in this book,LOTS of names like Lao-tzu & Abbadon & bokur & the loa & Belial and lots more. Am I suppost to know who these people are with out explanation ?? With out any background ?? The author just throws out words and phrases.And sometimes Catholic things work to fight demons and some times they don't.An example is a piece of scripture in a door way and a demon can't cross,except Astarte can because shes to old, it says.
THEN HERE COMES THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE DEMONS BACK FOR ME.....An exorcism (which would normally be cool)goes like this
'"In the name of the Father,the Son, and the Holy Spirit, be gone!" shouted Paul, splashing holy water on the man.'(so far,so good)
'"In the name of Muhammad,Siddhartha,Lao-tzu,and Confucius, of Zeus and Jupiter, of Shiva, and Osiris, in the name of the faith of all those named and unnamed,I cast you out,you parasite, you scavenger, you bottom-feeding scum of mortality!"'(WHAT?, But wait there's more!!)
'"In the name of Yahweh, El, and Brahman!"'
I think he forgot-'in the name of the President of the United States, and the brand Nike,by the power of Ben and Jerry's ice cream' ..I just can't take the 'every thing and the kitchen sink'way this author has,pick a damn group and stick with it.I thought from the description this book was going to be demons and priests, and halve demons and catholic things.But no it's a confusing patchwork,that's not even half explained. Very Disappointed.
Profile Image for Val.
176 reviews
February 1, 2016
Le habría dado 5 estrellas pero me di cuenta que este libro no tiene continuación y creó que la necesita, porque la historia queda como en un veremos y no se , quiero mas de la historia así que por esa pequeña razón le pongo 4 estrellas.

Él libro estuvo genial, me atrapo desde él primer momento, y la verdad no entiendo muy bien porque tiene tan malas críticas. Me gusto la manera como escribe Jon Skovron, y él tema que trata él libro es muy profundo y en cierta medida te hace pensar ciertas cosas. Aparte la historia me pareció original, osea si en él mercado hay mas libro de demonios y mitad humanos, mitad demonios. Pero la manera en la que lo tratan en este libro es muy interesante y la protagonista, si es cierto que al principio me pareció un poquito sosa, a medida que él libro avanza coge fuerza y crece su personaje notablemente.

Y ahora Rob. No podía quedarme sin hablar de Rob, es genial su personaje, no es él típico protagonista badass que le enseña a la chica quien es y cual es su destino, Rob es un chico dulce, súper inteligente, súper leal, ay no se como que se me volvió un crush. Me encanto esta historia y sus personajes, la súper recomiendo.

Como dije anteriormente lo unico que me parece mal es que no tenga secuela porque en verdad creo que se necesita, aparte seria muy genial que tuviera una, pero pues bueno que se le va a hacer ya no creo que la saque, este libro salio en 2012 así que... Toco dejarlo a la imaginación.
Profile Image for Agustina Zanelli.
494 reviews41 followers
November 8, 2019
Me gustó mucho este libro. La trama es atrapante, no podía dejar de leer. Me encantó la forma en que el autor fue incluyendo una amplia variedad de mitologías en una misma historia. Fue muy original e interesante de leer. También me encantó el uso de poderes elementales desarrollado de una manera muy creativa, como si los elementos tuviesen sus propias personalidades. Es una historia repleta de imaginación, con toneladas de acción y adrenalina. Me encantó que fuese viajando entre el presente y el pasado, revelando secretos e intrigas que hicieron que la lectura fuese muy entretenida. Me gustó mucho y me alegro de finalmente haberlo terminado porque lo empecé dos veces y no lo pude continuar porque me asustaba jajaja. Pero bueno, ese toque oscuro y espeluznante que tiene el libro terminó encantándome, juntos con los personajes y criaturas tan interesantes y únicas que ha presentado el autor. Es una historia genial.

Pronto traigo la reseña.
Profile Image for Tamara Van dishoeck.
1,345 reviews4 followers
March 6, 2017
aan het einde van het boek baalde ik er van dat het een standalone was en niet het eerste deel van de serie. dit boek was spannend maar had ook een vleugje humor en romantiek. en vond het leuk dat demonen niet de standaard demonen waren maar dat er meer achter zat. er zaten wendingen in die ik niet zo snel verwacht had. heb dit boek bij het boekenfestijn meegenomen vorig jaar en absoluut geen spijt van gehad. kan je dit boek zeker aanraden.
Profile Image for Braiden.
359 reviews204 followers
July 24, 2011
Hesitant due to the significantly mixed reviews it has so far received, and simply because I was curious with the galley in my possession, I thought I’d have a go at Misfit by Jon Skovron. I actually did enjoy it. Although it did have its faults which were easily seen within a few chapters of reading.

Jael has known all her life that she is a halfbreed; half-demon due to her mother (a good-type of demon) and half-human due to her father (a priest). They once made a dynamic demon-banishing duo, but since Jael’s mother was killed her father has been on the run, hiding, doing all his best to keep Jael out of the spotlight from the dark forces that are after them. And they are only after Jael for one reason; she’s a halfbreed. (Halfbreeds are apparently epically dangerous. Think of what Merlin did.)

The major problem this novel has is with its pacing. The culprit I believe is the way we learn about the past. At the end of one chapter Jael feels something, touches something, and then the next chapter begins this past memory with no introduction or narration by Jael herself. It was just like the past was happening in the present. These events are what interrupts the flow of the plot. This would’ve worked better if these events had been told to Jael more as a verbal teaching and less as visual-seeing-memory (think of Harry Potter’s ‘Pensieve’ minus Jael experiencing the memory; it’s just there).

It wasn’t until Jael turned sixteen that being half-demon is harder than it actually is. Jael seemed to have been dumped with what she is almost straight away (prior to knowing and through the memories). She accepted her newfound abilities almost immediately. I would’ve liked to have seen her adapt to them, rather than commit to them instantly.

However, put aside the pacing problems and the unlikable writing, Misfit had a cool plot. It revolves around religious themes, mainly Catholicism since Jael attends a Catholic school, which could make or break the views of other individuals while reading. But I guess that’s what you get when you read a book mainly about exorcism and demons. What I did enjoy the most about this novel was the way Jon Skovron had used this idea of convincing the elements to change or do something magical, rather than manipulate them with a flick of hand...wand, etc.. It seemed well thought out for the most part.

Now I know this is an advanced reader’s copy and will have some, if not a couple, typo’s, paragraphing or formatting problems, but Misfit had major complications which in part can be a culprit of its poor pacing too. Jumbled words and paragraphing errors there were. The ones that I had problems with though, were: 1) when Jael speaks at to Asmodeous for example, his words are just paragraphs where you have to assume he is communicating, which could have been better if italicised; 2) the letters/messages should have been indented, italicised etc. like we usually see them; and 3), he abused a rule in writing that I’ve read publishers don’t like: he used too many ellipses or '...’. And I mean too many. Ideal storytelling devices seemed to have been just ignored. Hopefully these are all put right before final publishing.

Misfit was a paranormal/supernatural YA that will interest you if you enjoy exorcism-type novels. Or demons, in general. By the way, I had trouble picturing Jael’s uncle, who is half-shark apparently.
Profile Image for Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids.
1,952 reviews203 followers
August 4, 2011
3.5-

I really liked Misfit's unique mythology and Jon's writing style. He can be edgy, yet funny, darker, yet writes a great love story, and his humor and wit in the story were great! I really liked the way he incorporated Misfit's back story in with present day. It gave me a better understanding about what was going on and what had happened to make Jael's father the why he was, as well as understand why Jael plays an important role with everything that's going on. There are at times a darker feel to the book, but it's also a story about a girl who's trying discover more about who she is, falls in love for the first time and deals with a betrayal of her best friend. Not to mention a father who doesn't show much emotion towards his daughter, nor does he tell her much about her mother or her heritage.

One of the things I liked about Jael is her independent attitude, and her desire to seek out the truth and find answers. She's a grounded character who's also broken in the sense she's grown up without a mother and has a father who hasn't always made the choices for her, even though he felt he had her best intentions at heart. No matter how hard I tried, I did not connect with her character. Surprisingly that lack of connection didn't take too much away from the story, because there are some great secondary characters that made up for it. Aside from Jael, her relationship with her BFF Britt, was the only other relationship I felt was a little forced and not relatable at all. What I did like was the back story on Paul, Jael's father, her mother Astarte and getting to meet Dagon, her Uncle, who's also her mother's brother.

I'll admit when I first read about Jael's dad, I wasn't a fan. It wasn't until I got to know more his story that I felt I understood him more, or maybe it had to do with all the emotions that came alive in the story whenever Paul and Astarte's relationship is mentioned. In getting to know more of their back story, I also came to admire Jael's mother Astarte more, and what she did for her daughter. When she's introduced in the book I may or may not have judged her for what she does, and I quickly learned there's so much more to her than meets the eye. I loved her uncle Dagon. He's by far my favorite character. He's definitely the most unique character to get to know, and he's a lot of fun. He not only provided the right amount of humor to the story, but he's the one person who really gave Jael the chance to learn more about her demon side. I liked that even though they're demons, they're not necessarily evil. Then there's the main love interest Rob. The skater boy with a sense of humor who at times comes across as an absent minded professor, but I enjoyed that about him. I liked his character, because he accepts Jael for who she is demon side and all.

I liked the different layers to this book, and the way Jon was able to create characters with realistic emotions that I was able to relate to. Misfit has a rich demon mythology, but there's so much more to it. I enjoyed getting to see Jael grow into her own character and how her father changes over the course of the book. There's a lot great character development as the story goes on with many of the different characters. I'd definitely recommend this for teens, and I also think adults will enjoy it as well. There is some minor language in the book, but nothing that I thought was offensive for teen readers.
Profile Image for Miranda.
512 reviews117 followers
July 19, 2011
I didn’t quite know what to expect from this book when I first read the blurb. I thought, well, sounds like it could go either way. It has the basic stuff I’m interested in and after reading one or two positive reviews I decided to request it.

I probably shouldn’t have.

I regret to say that Misfit and I just weren’t meant to work out. I only got about 40 pages in so I’m basing this review off those 40 pages.

The first warning sign was when I saw that it was written in the present tense style. I’m not a fan of that style unless it really makes sense for the novel. The only time I didn’t mind it was in The Hunger Games series because it made sense why Collins chose that style to write in. Here, it just made things awkward. In second person present tense it’s too easy to fall into the trap of describing every single thing the character does, be it from making cereal and eating it to simply dressing. The other problem is that it’s easy to start telling and not showing. This book had an abundance of both problems which kept me from really being able to get into it or connect to any of the characters. I was being told how they were feeling without being shown, which kept me from really getting into their perspective. The dialogue sounded forced and too much like a guy trying to write what he thought a modern teenage girl sounded like, and failing, and you’ve got quite a bit of fail worthy writing.

There were overly dramatic moments, like when Jael’s father gives her a birthday present that was a necklace her mother owned. Instead of telling her right off the bat, “Hey, don’t put it on because it’s dangerous, like really dangerous,” he sits there and watches her take the gift, then move to put it on, then grabs her wrists and THEN tells her not to put it on. It just seemed like a really clumsy way of making the scene more dramatic and interesting. All it got from me was a roll of my eyes. There was also a throwaway remark about “demons not liking pizza” that was so bizarre I actually stared at it for a second, uncomprehending. Why the hell would demons not like pizza? The way it’s written makes it sound like a universal thing, too, that all demons everywhere of every kind hate pizza. I know it’s a small thing to get irritated over but sheesh, if you’re going to attempt a joke at least make sure it makes sense. That just failed as a joke, if it was even meant to be one.

The only time I was ever slightly interested in the book was when the tense switched to past for a flashback. The writing got marginally better and easier to get into, but that was the only time I had my interest piqued. Other than that I just couldn’t bring myself to care about any of it--the characters, the slight semblance of a plot there may have been, anything.

Speaking of the characters, I really did not like Jael. She was unsympathetic and cruel to people who didn’t deserve it. I just couldn’t bring myself to care about her or her plight--which, considering she’s a half demon girl with a dead mother and a neglectful, almost abusive father, is not a good thing to say. I could guess where Britt’s storyline was going to go and how her character was going to be dealt with, so I wasn’t interested in reading about anything there.

I wish I could have liked Misfit, but it simply wasn’t meant to be. I’m sure other readers who don’t mind the present tense will find it easier to get into than I did.
Profile Image for Samantha Young.
Author 90 books24.9k followers
July 18, 2011
Jael’s father has moved her from country to country, state to state, city to city. Now that they’ve been living in northwest Seattle for two years Jael worries that any day now he’s going to pack up their bags and take them somewhere new. When Jael turns sixteen, she discovers the mystery behind all the moving. Jael is half-demon, a being feared by the creatures of Hell, and subsequently enemy NO.1 But knowing the truth is freeing for Jael, and whether her father believes it or not, she’s not afraid of the demons out for her blood. In fact, she’d like to stay and fight.

OK, I absolutely love Jon Skovron’s Misfit. It starts off a little slow, but 10-15% into the novel it really picks up. And doesn’t let go. The demon mythology is so well thought out, so clever, dark, humorous, and definitely one of the best plot devices I’ve read in YA for a while. The story switches from present to past as the heroine, Jael, delves into the memories of the people around her. These moments, these memories are utterly mesmerising. From the first memory of her mother and father meeting, to their demon hunting, to the twisted tangles Jael finds in the souls of the supporting characters, I was enthralled. Skovron’s plot, weaved between the past and the present, is just as entertaining when we are in the present with Jael as she trains in her new found abilities. Jael’s training and her abilities are vividly described and wonderfully imaginative. She is one cool paranormal. Moreover, just as intriguing as the past told through character memories, is the plot written in present tense, in which Jael ducks and dives and takes on one of the Grand Dukes of Hell, Belial. It’s thrilling, suspenseful and action-packed. All the best adjectives for a YA paranormal :-)

As for characterisation… wow. Jael herself grows so much over the course of the novel. She’s a very unassuming character, frustrated with her father and all the mystery, but otherwise pretty laid back. When she discovers her heritage and begins to train, the reader discovers how truly brave and loyal Jael is, and by the end of the novel she stands proudly among the ranks of YA’s kick-ass heroines.
Another refreshing element to Skovron’s novel was the romance between Jael and Rob. It was so authentic and by that I mean they acted like actual teenagers. Rob is a charming character. He’s a laid-back, intelligent skater boy with a mind that’s wide open. The romance is just a sub-plot and doesn’t take over the storyline; in fact it’s just another layer to the wonderful subtlety that is Skovron’s writing. I’ll also add that the demons, the Grand Dukes of hell, are all amazingly colourful, twisted and violent. Jael’s mother is an amazingly intriguing character and I loved when we were sucked back into the past with her. Skovron moulds his mythology around existing history and religions in such a clever way that I found myself curling into my kindle with happiness – I’m a sucker for using real history/mythology and giving it a paranormal explanation, and the author does this exceptionally well.
Lastly my favourite character is Jael’s demon uncle, Dagon. He’s exactly how you imagine a demon to look. He’s old skool. And he’s hilarious, and I just loved every minute he was on the page.

Misfit is written in smooth, modern prose. The writing is stunningly vivid with smart dialogue and beautiful imagery.

One word: Awesome. Three more words: I want more.

Five Massive Stars!
Profile Image for Heather.
759 reviews29 followers
June 20, 2011
Jael is tired of moving around so often. Every time she gets settled in one Catholic school her father whisks them away to yet another, in another out-of-the-way place. Jael understands, really. After all, the demon Baliel has been hunting her since before she was born. He hates halfbreeds, and he really hated Jael's demon mother, so if he finds Jael he'll kill her. But Jael's uncle, Dagon, believes that Jael may have the untapped potential to destroy Baliel and bring back the era of the gods. If, that is, Jael can learn to harness her power before Baliel destroys her and everything that she loves.

I found this novel difficult to read. The omniscient narrative created an emotional barrier, keeping me from truly caring about Jael and her worries. The dialog was also problematic, sometimes spot-on teen and other times rather stilted and dryly academic. The flashback scenes of the relationship between Jael's parents was much more touching and realistic. The story has potential, though. Many aspects of the plot are unique and original, which can be difficult to find in today's teen lit. And somewhere around the last third of the novel it began to really catch my interest, though it was primarily the secondary characters who sparked my interest. Hopefully any sequel will develop Jael to the same level. Finally, as with many series openers, the climax wrapped up very easily, belying the drama of the buildup and the worries of Jael and those around her. The book will move because of the plot description, but readers will need to be determined to keep reading.

This review refers to the NetGalley digital advanced readers version of the novel.
Profile Image for Sherre Copeland.
207 reviews63 followers
October 29, 2011
Misfit was an amazing book about a girl with demonic powers. I haven’t read many demon books and this one was great.

I do not want to give too much away for this book because I definitely want everyone to read it. To begin, Jael is half demon, half mortal, an anomaly. Her Mother was a Succubus known by many names (trust me, you’ll be surprised when you find them out) who gave her life to protect her daughter. The book gave us a nice back story about the history of her mother and father, and history in general. I loved the telling of the stories and how Jael seemed to be magically transported into the story instead of just told what happened.

I loved the idea that Jael is half demon and is going to a catholic school. It’s just funny to me. Furthermore, I loved all the extra attention Jael received when she got her “succubus demonic beauty." It was amazing, funny, and perverted all at the same time (wait until you see what the priests at the school do…haha…too funny). The love interest was great and gorgeous and amazing, but the best friend annoyed me. I just didn’t like her “holier than thou” attitude. Don't judge others if you cannot judge yourself first, and please don’t even get me started on her reaction to the fact that Jael is a half demon. I wanted to reach in the book and punch her myself.

All in all, I absolutely loved the book. I was engrossed while I was reading the book and thinking about reading the book when I wasn’t reading it. It was amazing and realistic how Jael came into her powers, although at times it seems like her battles were too easily won. Nonetheless, I would DEFINITELY read this book again.
Profile Image for Katie.
882 reviews877 followers
June 13, 2015
Misfit was not at all what I expected and that may be what made me enjoy it so much. It was a very unique story and I feel like it will appeal to all readers: boys, girls, young, and old.

Jael is half-demon and half-human. It is something she has always known so she is okay with it. The powers that she acquires on her sixteenth birthday are what change things for her, in a good and bad way. I liked Jael from the very start of the book but I really liked her after she got her powers. She became a more fun, confident character. She didn’t worry what other people thought of her. She just made sure that she didn’t let her demon side take over her mortality. It never went to her head and she stayed very down to earth. She also had Rob to help her with that. He was a very sweet, funny, quirky guy that I thought was perfect for Jael. He really helped lighten the mood of the book. (My favorite scene was when Rob first meets Jael’s uncle!)

The plot itself was fabulous. It picked up at the very beginning and didn’t slow down until the end. There were demons popping up all over the place and I never knew when one would pop out or if it would be good or bad (because there are good demons in this book). The other thing that really made the book interesting were the visions that Jael had of the past. She got to see her parents story firsthand and it is not at all what you would expect.

Overall, Misfit is a wonderful book that will definitely stand out in today’s market and I couldn’t give it a higher recommendation. I really hope that there will be a sequel!
Profile Image for Kay ^_^.
3 reviews
April 5, 2012
Jael Thompson is a regular girl moving around from Catholic school to Catholic school. She's mostly unnoticed by all, including her father. Her friend Britt and a boy in her class, Rob, are the only people she seriously talks to. But when Jael looks into the magic necklace that once belonged to her mother, everything changes. Jael now sees into the past through the necklace and can see a younger version of her always serious father, her uncle Dagon, and her mother. But what she never knew about her mother, is that she's a demon. As well as her uncle. Jael's life is thrown out of sorts when she learns that she is being chased by Belial, Duke of Hell. He's trying to execute her for being half demon, half mortal. Jaels uncle reveals to her the powers that are hers that lie within the necklace. She now has the amazing powers to talk to the elements of the Earth. Uncle Dagon must now train Jail, a 16 year old girl, to face the Duke of Hell himself.
This was an incredibly interesting book - one that could not be put down! It includes teen drama, mythology, action, horror, suspense, love, and friendship. I recommend this book for everyone. The characters are very well built and hard to tear through. There's a twist around every corner and emotion within the pages.
I give this book a 10. It's very detailed and deep. The words are drenched with the graphics that make an amazing novel.
269 reviews3 followers
July 25, 2012
Uh.... Okay this is going to be spoilerific because I see no way to deal with my issues with this book unless we go into it.

Jael, the protagonist is a half demon/ half human. Which means she is given amazing powers for having powers over both the earth and human self. Okay that was very poorly explained. It also made Jael super human for no reason. She suddenly has powers that can defeat the Grand Duke of Hell for no reason other than her birth? and she has NO negatives as a result of this union other than seeing the universe and having a tendency to burn stuff. Sighs. Everything was too convenient. When Jael burned her clothes off, she magically had the ability to create clothing on her skin. She could defeat mr. grand duke just because she could tell him to go away.

EHgaslfjasd
Also her boyfriend is another very convenient person. He just so happens to have a perfect soul and accepts everything Jael does without any complaints. For once, just once, I'd like to see the heroine actually earn the love of her most perfect person.

I enjoyed her relationship with Britt. And her uncle Dagon. And the allegories in the book because I enjoy seeing the Bible through secular eyes. Not that this book was secular. In fact it was very preachy. But that's what happens when you set a book in a Catholic school with Catholic influences and Christianity everywhere.
Profile Image for Tania Rock.
80 reviews
September 3, 2011
I really enjoyed this book that I received from NetGalley and would highly recommend it.

This demon based novel kept me on the edge of my seat and the author was continuously introducing new concepts that kept my brain churning. The characters were interesting, quirky and easy to relate to and I found myself really rooting for Jael the main character in the novel. There is the perfect amount of action, romance and plot development.

What I really enjoyed though was how the author placed numerous characters existing throughout history. I actually used Wikipedia and input the characters names and was given references to biblical characters, historical deities and even warriors.

After reading this novel, I'm definitely going to try to get his other books and my fingers are crossed that there will be a sequel to misfit.

4 reviews
August 21, 2011
When I started this book, it did not grab me. I shared it with my fourteen year old daughter, and it did not grab her. Now I am reading an ARC, and I understand that changes could be in the works. However, I kept going. Then it grabbed me. This story is unique and distances itself from other paranormal YA lit. The characters were real, and I bought it. I couldn't wait to pick it back up each time I put it down. Jael is a heroine who's real, insecure, and not one of those typical "I have powers, I'm going to kick butt" types. She worries about her place in the world, she worries about her family and friends, she wants to do the right thing, and though realizing she has power, she is not arrogant. Her sincerity and her attempts to do the right thing and remain human are touching. I cared for Jael, and I look forward to a sequel.
Profile Image for Summeralism.
316 reviews20 followers
May 28, 2013
Not the best book I've read but I do love the cover art and the title! It's what first interested me.

The plot of the story thickens only to about milky. I tried very hard to get into it and finish it but I just couldn't get into it very much. The text style of this book is easy to get lost in. I'm not sure what it is but it definitely felt like walking through a maze or something.

The character development took forever I feel like! I did like Jael's strength, but I feel like she could be a little less selfish... especially towards her father. She needed to pause and see things through his eyes. However I do understand where she stands.

I was hoping for more paranormalcies...
Profile Image for Rhiannon.
51 reviews
August 16, 2011
I had gotten a copy to read from Netgalley and was excited to dig in after I read the excerpt online. But much to my surprise by getting to page 16, nothing was exciting enough to keep me going. I rarely find books I read like that, even ones I had to read in school.

I think it had to do with the perspective of the way it was written that didn't suit my reading needs. It had such hopes, but on some level it just didn't work for me.

Maybe down the road when I have the time or remember, I can re-read again. But right now, I'm not feeling this book.
Profile Image for The Lonely book club.
17 reviews3 followers
August 3, 2011
Complete review can be found at: The lonely book-club

I enjoyed this book quite a lot. The story was refreshing, and it is not a paranormal romance as it has wrongly been categorized as by some others. Misfit is a juvenile fantasy story. It’s not a “knock-you-off-your-feet”-romance and that is highly appreciated. It is a very youthful, intriguing story.
Profile Image for Cindy.
Author 10 books1,093 followers
March 20, 2011
4.5 stars!

i really enjoyed this novel that puts
a very intriguing spin on religion, demons,
and mythology. skovron has created a world
with interesting characters, human or not.
jael is a fantastic heroine, and i can't wait
to read more of her! alternately gruesome,
dark, smart, touching and funny. definitely
recommended!
Profile Image for Ene Kallas.
11 reviews3 followers
January 15, 2013
Mõnusa keelega, aga kuidagi tühi raamat. Ei, ega mul kahju pole ajast, aga ta ei jätnud sellist muljet, et tahaks edasi mõelda või midagi.
Mingil hetkel aga hakkas häirima pärisnimede naljakas kasutamine. Kui ma veel väike olin, siis olid Lao-Zi ja Aštarte ning oli Belials, mitte Belial...
Aga muidu, selline iisi raamat. Paras kerge palavikuga läbi pugida.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 484 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.