Start by marking “Stars” as Want to Read:

Stars are everywhere.

Not just in the sky.

Look...
Published October 4th 2011 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars

Start your review of Stars
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

What a lovely book. Pages shining with hope, support, and warmth. “Stars are everywhere.” We just have to look. Look up. Look down. Look in the mirror. The stars will always be there when we need them to guide, inspire, and wish upon.

Stars is a gorgeous story depicting a full range of emotions—from hope and happiness to loneliness and fear. Every page holds simple words packed with life and emotion. Words that made me smile, think, and hope.

”As soon as you see one, there’s another, and anothe
Donalyn
Marla Frazee could illustrate a cracker box and I would consider it splendid. This is a gentle book about finding a star, keeping it close, and being one.
Cassie
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, night, stars
Late one night while up at our cabin deep in the woods, I persuade my daughter and her friend to bundle up and come take a short walk with me out to the clearing. “Why?” they demanded, since it was so very cold and so very dark (i.e. scary) outside. “For a great surprise!” I said; they were not convinced. We grabbed little flashlights and made our way (tripping and giggling) out to the clearing. I told them to turn off their flashlights. Well, that request was met with nervous “no’s!!!”, but I d ...more
Julie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I wish I had someone to give it to. (Because that's what librarians like to do with books they love.)

Caroline
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet, comforting story about stars and how they're always there, even if you can't see them. I thought this was really sweet and I love the diversity in the illustrations.
Richie Partington
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
28 October 2011 STARS by Mary Lyn Ray and Marla Frazee, ill., Beach Lane Books, October 2011, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-2249-0

"Would you like to swing on a star
Carry moonbeams home in a jar
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a mule?
-- Johnny Burke, "Swinging on a Star" (1944)
(I love hearing the Dave Van Ronk version from the late Sixties.)

"A star is how you know it's almost night. As soon as you see one, there's another and another. And the dark that comes doesn't feel so dark."
Amy Forrester
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful oblong book explores the beauty and versatility of stars. There are the stars you see in the night sky. Stars you cut out of paper and keep in your pocket, because sometimes “you need to know it is there.” There’s that special day marked on the calendar with a star. Some days you’ll feel as shiny as a star, but other days you might need to reach for that paper one in your pocket. But the best way to see the stars is to find a place where the night is very dark. Look up and you’ll ...more
Cheryl
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars....
ok, yes....
I can't quite recommend it as highly as some books that give me somewhat of a similar feeling, like the brilliant classic Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor and Peter Parnall, but it's lovely, and perfect for kids who are beginning to think they might be afraid of the dark... because you can't always see the stars, but you know they are always there.

Frazee is already one of my favorites (discovered via Clementine), but I didn't know Ray; I'll look for more by her.
Gulzar Malji
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is all about stars. It has some beautiful inspiring illustrations and is designed for the beginner reader. It starts with a boy noticing a star in the sky. He then explores more and realises that stars can be found in all kinds of places and not just in the sky. He finds stars on pumpkin vines and strawberry plants and even snowflakes. He blows a dandelion and blows a thousand stars into the sky.

I like this book because it gives children the imagination and creativity to go and explore
Kathryn
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, though I wanted to love it. I do love Marla Frazee's illustrations. She is one of my favorite illustrators, I love how real and yet how charming her illustrations are (the little bare-bottomed kid eagerly struggling into pajamas to go out and see the stars, haha!) I like the concept of the story, and I ended up loving the middle and end section, but the beginning felt a bit tedious and forced to me. Oh well, once we got to the "stars" (flowers) turning into strawberries ...more
Abigail
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Comforting Bedtime Books / Marla Frazee Fans
Shelves: picture-books
Opening with an invocation of the stars in the night sky, Mary Lyn Ray's narrative goes on to enumerate many other examples of the shape - the stars to be found in moss, in leaves, and in the pocket of every child who needs one in difficult times. What is a star? A shape... a source of light, and of comfort... perhaps a reward or pleasure? It can be all of these, and more...

A celebration of stars, in whatever guise they may appear, this charming picture-book pairs a simple text with lovely artwo
Allie Vera
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, charming book that wins you over in a quiet way.
Peacegal
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoughtful little book captures the wonder of the world around us, and the special moments that are all too fleeting as we grow up.
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
The illustrations by Marla Frazee were very charming but they were not enought to carry this slight story. The text was trying to be vague yet qurirky, but the subject just too cutsey to be taken seriously. I kept mentally comparing it to Neil Gaiman's Insructions, which is a picture book of vague mysterious suggestions/instructions about navigating fairy tales (and/or life). This story was just about pointy shaped things. At one point the author talks about stars in the sky in a cute way (catch ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I didn't think Marla could top All The World but this might just do it for me. I want several of the illustrations enlarged and framed. They are amazing and the text compliments the illustrations so beautifully. Can't wait to get my hands on a final copy of this.
paula
My big old boys (8 and 10) climbed onto my lap in the middle of the day so that I could read them this lovely, soothing bedtime book that is a meditation on stars, wherever they appear and whatever they signify.
Alyson
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Loved it! What a great concept - a celebration of stars in the sky, as shapes, in nature... I like the different dimensions of the book, because there is so much room for the sky.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stars are all around us. A beautifully illustrated, soothing story.
Amy Layton
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I teared up when reading this book.  If there's a book that every child should read, it's this one.  This one is filled with imagination, hope, love, positivity.  It's beautiful and meaningful and poignant--and Marla Frazee illustrated it!  This is a fantastic book about searching for stars and creating your own stars, about sharing and kindness.  The text is perfect for a younger child to understand--it's not too wordy or lengthy, and this book's theme and message is perfect for older children. ...more
Kate
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a children’s picture book about how stars can be transformative and how the shape represents many different things, from a sheriff’s badge to a magic wand to the white flowers that become strawberries to the snowflakes in winter. I liked the illustrations.
Gina
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The theme is a little loose, but some of the pages are magical.

I thought the moss looked more like ivy.
Josiah
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can easily see why this book is so "tall". The grandeur of the night sky as it deepens after the twilight hour and the pinpricks of stars beginning to grow in the velvety blackness could not have been captured as well if this book were of normal height. I've always thought that Marla Frazee was a good artist, but she really outdid herself in Stars. The beginning and ending scenes of the twinkling stars studded majestically in the dark reaches of space are enough to really inspire some feeling ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
A star is my favorite shape. I like looking at stars in the sky. I like making wands with stars when I need magical wishes to come true. I like taking pictures of stars. I just like stars. Which would make it no surprise that I wanted to read a book about stars.

This is a quiet picture book. I don't think I would enjoy reading it to my story time kids as much as I would enjoy reading it one on one. Mostly because it talks about all kinds of stars...like stars that you give to others and how stars
Barbara
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
Beginning with a boy noticing the first star of the evening, this book explores those particular stars, but then moves into a message of self-empowerment and self-worth. Readers are encouraged to draw and cut a star to keep in their pockets as encouragement during tough times, and then taken on a tour of the many places where stars might appear in nature: on pumpkin vines, on strawberry plants, in the form of snowflakes, and even this wonderful phrase--"Blow a ball of dandelion and you blow a th ...more
Gwen the Librarian
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
For a book that could be trite, this one hits all of the notes perfectly. It talks about stars in the sky, stars in nature, and carrying a star around in your pocket to remind you that you are a star too. The language is perfect, gentle, reassuring, hopeful. Frazee's marvelous illustrations are expansive, lovely hued, depicting the full range of children and their familiar experiences. You know, and perfect, gentle, reassuring and hopeful. It's delightful to find such a perfect pairing. This one ...more
Dolly
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet, calming story about stars. The narrative has a lyrical quality to it that begs to be read aloud, slowly, savoring each word. The illustrations are colorful, with a different color dominating many of the pages. I like how the illustrations alternate between bright, colorful pictures and small illustrations with lots of white and little background. It adds a nice contrast and complements the story nicely. We really enjoyed reading this book together and it's perfect for a bedtime ...more
Michelle
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kids sat still for this but adults get more out of this hopeful, beautiful picture book. It's a good choice for teaching metaphor and symbolism, as "stars" both present emotional states and stand for other natural phenomena that amaze us.

A good addition to story time (Mo Willems' Waiting Is Not Easy would be a good pairing) or a lovely gift for a grown up star in your life.
Tatiana
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Stars is a marriage of writing and illustrations that enhance, rather than distract or overwhelm, the other. Mary Lyn Ray tells a tale of watching, discovering, and being stars; Marla Frazee provides adorable, evocative drawings of children and the wonderous world around them.
Ginna
Jul 22, 2013 added it
Shelves: language
This book reminds me of the book Fancy Nancy Sees Stars. You can work with your students a lot of vocabulary and descriptive words when talking about stars. I would definitely use this book next time I have to work the out of space theme in my classroom.
Beautiful illustrations too!
Kim
Beautiful, serene text by Ray and illustrations by Frazee work so well together. This will be a joy to read aloud to primary grades.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Blackout
  • Lost & Found
  • The Seventh Wish
  • Cloudette
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Grandpa Green
  • Peanut Goes for the Gold
  • Boy + Bot
  • A Ball for Daisy
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
Mary Lyn Ray is a conservationist and author of several picture books for children. She was born in Louisiana in 1946 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Ray has lived in New England since 1964, when she first came east to attend college. She currently lives in a 150-year-old farmhouse in South Danbury, New Hampshire, which she restored herself.