Start by marking “Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10” as Want to Read:
Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10

Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10

Dogs of all shades, shapes, and dispositions introduce children to numbers as they count their surroundings from one to ten. On each spread, children count the clues to discover the missing number and complete the rhyme!

Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10 takes readers through a world of playful pups that love to count! Each spread's rhyming text leaves out the last word, allowing
Published March 29th 2011 by Abbeville Kids

To ask other readers questions about Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10

Start your review of Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10
 Reading Divergence
Delightful, delightful, delightful-this little storybook is 10 times delightful! I am so eager to read this to my younger grandchildren. This is a special, "read-me-again!!" book.
Melissa
My son had enjoyed the other book that we read by Ami Rubinger that I just knew we had to read this one when I found it on *Netgalley.

Simple rhyming book that leaves out the last word so that way children can shout it out for themselves. Features all different dogs and even a few feline friends.

Just like the last one my son loved shouting out the end of the rhyme. In fact he got a little too excited and at one point bounced right off the bed and onto the his bottom. He wasn't hurt and just
Liane Marie
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

Category: Hardcover (English)

Hebrew Title: האו עד עשר

Age: 1-3+ years

Synopsis: In this counting book from Israeli author and illustrator Mr. Rubinger, we are introduced to ten very different (and quite silly) dogs. We also meet again the funny felines from Big Cat, Small Cat.

Bilingual benefit: This book is also available in Hebrew. Both the English and Hebrew versions teach counting and number recognition. Like all of Mr. Rubinger’s children’s picture books in English and Hebrew, this
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Once again, Ami Rubinger has written an adorable book that helps children learn to count in a fun way. Each dog presented has a little rhyme of its own with that missing word at the end again as Ami's other books. The missing word is the number that corresponds to the dog and is hinted at by the rhyme that describes each dog. Each page is entertaining by the art that covers it. The illustrations feature all different dogs and some cats. They are funny looking which children will love.

The simple
Suzanne
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, ya-kid-lit
This is a simple counting book with rhyming text. The dogs are introduced one at a time and each one tells something about himself or herself. "Playing chase is so much fun! My name's Rover. I'm dog number ..." The number is always left for the reader to fill in. When the story reaches ten, the cats from Big Cat, Small Cat appear and count off by twos. Then together with the dogs, they make a group of twenty. Readers who enjoyed calling out the missing words and the vibrant computer-generated ...more
Melissa
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
On each page, we meet a new dog, who tells us something about themselves in a rhyming couplet that always ends with "I'm dog number..." letting the child fill in the number themselves. I really liked this interactivity. I also really liked that worked into each of the illustrations were sets of things in the corresponding number - be it flowers, or birds, or other animals in the background, or even features on the dogs themselves like spots or whiskers. To really reinforce counting, you could ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
DOG NUMBER 1, DOG NUMBER 10 is a hardback that features cute abstract drawings of fun-loving pups.

LIKES
--solid rhyme makes this book an easy read-aloud
--the text is structured so that it begs for the child to complete the couplet
--I particularly LIKE that at the end ten cats are introduced so that children can practice reading to not only 10 but 20!

WASN'T CRaZy ABOUTS
--I thought some of the rhymes might not be all that meaningful to very young children. "Call me Buddy, I'm dog number..., as
Christian
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Netgalley ARC

Once again, Ami Rubinger has written an adorable book that helps children in group particpation as well as teaches counting in a fun way. Each dog presented has a little rhyme of its own with that missing word at the end again as Ami's other books. The missing word is the number that corresponds to the dogs and is hinted at by the rhyme that describes each dog. Each page is entertaining by the art that covers it.

I really enjoyed reading this book and was entertained by the
Armanda Campbell
Feb 12, 2013 added it
Shelves: math
This is a book that teachees counting. I begins counting dogs by ones and ends counting cats by twos. Towards the end of the story, the numbers are not written out, so the students have to complete the sentece.

This is great for a math lesson, especially since it counts the cats by twos. This is something that you dont see enough of in grades higher than kindergarten, so the kids get caught up when they are required to count by anything other than ones. The students could create a number line,
Marcy
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents and babysitters
Recommended to Marcy by: Netgalley
This is a cute counting and rhyming book that uses dogs and cats to teach numbers. Each of the 10 dogs is introduced with a saying that rhymes with their number. The number in numeral form is taped on each dog to aid in the rhyme. I really like this book because I am an animal lover and the rhymes are really cute. I recommend this book to parents and teachers alike. Even if you are not an animal lover you will enjoy this book as it teaches your child how to count first by ones with dog pictures ...more
Jennifer Heise
I can't like this book because the layout of the first page doesn't make it clear that the end of the line on the first page is the number on the dog. The dog is on the left side of the double-page spread, but the text ends on the right side of the page, with an ellipsis. As the designated reader-aloud, I didn't twig to this until I got to page 4-5, and at first hunted for a missing page 2-3! I like the concept, but if you don't tell a parent that they are supposed to stop and point to the dog ...more
Sue
The wonderful thing is that children can play along with this book as they try to fit in the word that rhymes. The colorful illustrations make the book come alive.

Reading Challenges:
2016 Pages Read ( The Crafty Engineer's Bookshelf)
2016 I Love Picture Books (Bea's Book Nook)
2016 What an Animal Reading Challenge IX (Socrates Book Reviews)
Let's Turn Pages Challenge (GoodReads - 2015 and 2016 Reading Challenge)
2016 Reading Challenge (GoodReads)
Anne
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I did not care for this one as much as Big Cat, Small Cat, Rubinger's earlier book. That one is also rhyming, but about opposities. This one is a counting book, and more obvious to the kids I think. It could still work for storytime if you are looking for a counting book, but as far as numbers books go--this one doesn't stand out.
Carol
This is a fun concept book that engages the reader in predicting the numerical rhyme. "Playing chase is so much fun! My name's Rover. I'm dog number..." Of course the reader will know that "one" is what fits there and they will subsequently be able to predict the rest. So this is a fun and interactive book to read with young children. My only complaint is the flat colors used. They are too pastel and unnatural for my personal taste. However, kids probably won't mind.
zapkode
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another nicely written book by Ami Rubinger. It is about counting from one to ten, however it is written in a rhyme. I think the illustrations fit the book very well and can be appealing to children in preschool - first grade. The only thing I was not fond of was the red text on a few of the pages because it made it difficult to read.
Julie Barrett
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10 by Ami Rubinger
ISBN: 9780789210661
Illustrated, very colorful educational children's book.
Each dog not only has their own name, but a number and each has something different about themselves.
Good for not only colors but numbers and playing counting games.
Also adding game at the end when the book combines different numbered dogs on a page.
Amanda
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is perfect for playtime. It takes readers through counting numbers 1-10 using a quick rhyming text and leaves out words to allow children to complete the story. It even goes a step further uses cats to count by 2's all the way to 20. Kids and parents will enjoy this book time and time again.
Lisa
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
A very cute book with interesting and quirky illustrations that invite you and your child to finish the rhymes. This helped my daughter get more involved in and excited about reading this book.

Counting from 1 to 10, describing characteristics that match up with the illustration, this was one we wanted to read again.
Emily
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a fun book for children. I thought the illustrations were a little different but the colors are bright and I think kids would like them. The story rhymed and I liked it that the author left the number unwritten in the story to allow the child to come up with the answer. This book is great for reading to children and also for beginning readers to read alone or with help.
Katie
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ami Rubinger's books are great for storytime. Bold illustrations, simple rhymes, and a story that just begs for call-and-response. The end was a little difficult for the kids to grasp (counting 2x2 and adding 10 plus 10 might be a little beyond preschoolers) but they still seemed to enjoy it.
Candice Mckinnon
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: math-book-shelf
Dog Number 1, Dog Number 10 is a good counting book for young children. Children will find fun in guessing what number comes next. The pictures are very detailed so they can easily count the animals to figure out the answer. Teachers can use this book as an introduction to a counting lesson.
Jay
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
loved this book! learn to count from 1 to 10 with clever rhymes for each dog to help young children remember/guess what number dog it is. nice bright pictures keep the kids interested.

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Adam
Corbchops says: "The dogs and cats are not mixed up because they have number tags on them."
Gina Hott
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute. Fun pictures. The kids enjoyed it.
Morgan
May 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This will be fun for the kids at storytime because they will be able to rhyme the numbers and shout them out.
Jenn
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Some of the images bordered on creepy instead of just colorful and cute. But perhaps that works better for little people...
Poongothai
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Rhyming dogs teaching counting. Enjoyable read

Thanks to netgalley
Michelle
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great for interactive reading. The rhyming scheme helps children to supply the right number when prompted. I thought it was cute and fun.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is a fun book. a great way to teach counting to little kids.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read for my tenth anniversary! This book counts up to ten.