Start by marking “Across the Veil” as Want to Read:
Across the Veil

Read eBook

Across the Veil

#1 Amazon Best Seller -Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies & Short Stories
#1 Amazon Best Seller - Literature & Fiction > Short Stories

Princess Talia from Summerland has been hiding across the veil in the human world for the past five years.

Published March 17th 2011 by Lisa's Lair (first published March 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Across the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Veil

Ana
This was a short, but sweet paranormal romance read!
I enjoyed it and think that the author did a great job (considering this is a short fiction).
The story is about Nathalie Thurmout, once know as Princess Thalia, Princess of Light. She "crossed the veil" (left her Fae Kingdom Summerland) 5 years ago and entered a new world, the world of humans.
Becoming a star of Avalon Magic, the hottest TV show, she thinks she finally got over the reasons for "crossing the veil" in the first place...
She thinks
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Warning: This book is full of action! This is a must read short story that left me breathless.

My Rating: 5 of 5

My Thoughts/Review: This was a fast paced short story that left me wanting more. It is about a fairy Princess who escapes her world to live among humans because she does not want to marry the guy her family has betrothed her to. So she goes to California and has a career in acting. She misses her home but what she misses most is the love of her life. She can not seem to get him out of h
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Shelves: reviewed
The got this book as a part of R2R.

This story story caught me from the beginning. I was intrigued and read in less than an hour. This is a fae story about Princess Talia and her fate she fled from. Even though this was a short read, it didn't lack for substance because it was there. Yes, I wish the story would have been much longer because I enjoyed it so much. I would love to read the prequel that led up to the point where the story began. Great Job. I would read more from this author.
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
Across the Veil was a nice, short paranormal love story. Princess Talia crosses the veil in order to live in the human world. She is running from the man she has been betrothed to. In the human world, she goes by the name Natalie and is an actress for a hit television show. After 5 years, she is found.

This is a pretty good story. I think it would have done wonders for it to be novel length. There was so much back-story that I felt I missed out on. There wasn't time for the characters to be deve
Sharon
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Across the Veil is a wonderful little short story. I usually don’t read short stories unless they are by an author I know, about characters I know. There is just not enough time to slip into a new world and care about the characters.

Lisa Kessler was able to capture my interest in this world (I want to know about it) and write a romance that felt real. It made my heart go a pitter-patter . It is less than 26 pages, but there is a lot of story in there.

The story is about a Fae princess that leaves
Fictional Bookshelf
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading Across The Veil and instantly fell in love with it.

It was amazing how Lisa Kessler, the author, managed to fit a complete story in just 6000 words. She packed the story full of heat, descriptive words, and polished it off with a well thought-out plot.

The pacing in most short stories often feels off or forced in someway. In this little jewel, the pacing of everything came naturally. This book left me without any questions other than, will Lisa write a full story so
Tanecia
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was an over-all fun and light read. Its like one of the books i would pick if i wanted to have a relaxed and short read on an rainy day. Even though this book did have a wierd combination of Vampires and Fairies( i only say wierd because ive havent read a book yet that had a mix of the two.) it had some action,and wooh! the romance! and also a historical feel to it. Alot of things i know but luckily none of these clashed badly with each other, it meshed and was written very well and st ...more
Michelle (True Book Addict) Miller
I have been following Lisa's writing since I met her on MySpace, where she posted weekly short stories on her blog and I'm a big fan. I have been rooting for her writing journey and I'm happy to say that a week (or so) after she published this story on Amazon, she received a three book contract for her Night trilogy and a novella. Congrats to her! So, on to the review of Across the Veil. I love Lisa's characters. They are so real and believable. And her blending of the real world with the fantas ...more
Kate
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
"Across the Veil" was a sweet, fairy-tale-esque story of true love and happily ever after. I liked Natalie/Talia, and would have enjoyed getting to know her better. Keth was your basic knight on a white horse type, while Faldo's villainy was almost over-the-top. A little more background might have made him a more believable character, but given that this was a very short story, there was enough to understand. One minor aspect that I very much liked was the interference of electronic and digital ...more
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
i really liked this book. It was a very short story that followed Talia, a princess of summerland who had escaped after being betrothed to her lover's brother, who found happiness in hurting others.
I really loved everything that happened. With it being so short i didn't expect to become so involved with the characters but i did. As bad things happened to them i found myself gasping and going oh no that can't happen.
I loved it, it was a really good short story that i will read over and over agai
JoAnne Kenrick
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-rating
Lisa Kessler +vamps = awesome reading! Fab short story with everything you could ever need from vamp fiction -- peril, lust, romance...hubba hubba of a hero :) Now I defo can't wait to read NightWalker!
Kathryn
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Wanted to give 3 1/2. A sweet but short fantasy romance. I would have loved to see an expanded version, or perhaps a prequel that develops the characters more so we can see how they came to the action in this story.
Lisa Kessler
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My new release is now available!!! It's a 25 page short story that won Romance in the Backseat's Paranormal Fight Club... Hope you enjoy it!
Elaine
What an action packed short story! A fairy Princess of Light, Nathalie Thurmout, has escaped from her own world to avoid being forced to marry the man who her family have betrothed her to - he’s actually the wicked brother of the man she loves. She is living as an actress in California, missing her home and, most of all, the love of her life. When both men reappear in her new life there’s bound to be trouble!

A brilliantly written, fast paced paranormal romance that grips the reader from the star
Sapphyria
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
When, Talia, a fae princess crossed the veil to the human realm, it was for self-preservation. Always linked to the man who betrayed her, she only called on him when his brother found her location. Now, a life hangs in the balance and Talia must make an epic choice.

Across the Veil begins in the human realm and ends across the veil in Summerton. It is a quick story about the will to do what it takes to save true love and conquer evil. I was engaged from the beginning and enjoyed the short journey
Lorien Lyn
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read with intriguing characters. The story held my attention right from the very first paragraph and kept me turning the pages. For a short fantasy romance story, Across the Veil packs a satisfying punch. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an exciting, romantic read. Great job, Lisa!
Mindy
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just read this last night before I went to bed and it was so good. I was hoping it was part of a series so, I could download and read the rest. I'm going to check to find out and I'm really hoping it is. Read this awesome short story.
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
(short story) there definitely should have been more :) would have made a great longer story.
W.H.
I want to read this!! Wow this short story is jam-packed with emotion.... A fast paced and easy read! I loved it
Jeri
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just a small taste of Kessler's Fae World and it was intriguing. I loved the characters and their powers. They were beautiful and passionate and the setting for the Fae world sounded so beautiful. I'm excited to revisit this world with a full length novel.
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, fantasy, romance
Princess Talia’s parents have arranged for her to marry her loves brother. After having her heart broken she decides to leave Summerland and cross the veil to a human populated Hollywood. After working as an actress for five years her fiancée finds her. Faldo uses the fact that he is looking for his brother Keth, who also crossed the veil for a reason to contact her. He blackmails her into helping him. Talia does not wish to see either brother. One has broken her heart and the does not wish to ...more
Leora Stark
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it

Princess Talia of, well, the land across the veil, has been masquerading as a TV detective ever since she became enmeshed in a dramatic love triangle between two brothers; Keth and Faldo. Her world is turned upside when she is forced to seek out Keth, her true love, at the behest of his evil brother Faldo, whom she was supposed to marry. She hasn't seen Keth in many years but the minute they set eyes upon one another again the passion is reunited. I'll leave the description at that so as not to
T.J. Shaw
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sweet Novella!

I didn’t know what to expect when I decided to read ACROSS THE VEIL and was pleasantly surprised. Ms. Kessler has an easy-to-read writing style that lured me into her world and characters. For a short story, she had a lot of information to get across and she did so with beautiful, descriptive sentences and heated conflict between the characters. The initial re-union between Talia and Keth was a bit rushed for me, but this is a short story after all! I guess that just means Ms. Kess
Marlena Frank
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Even though it's not usually a genre I read, I found this piece very fun! I loved the magic that was used, and how powerful it was even a good distance away. The romance itself wasn't too interesting to me, just cause I'm not a big fan of it, but the fantasy world was amazing. I completely didn't expect what happened on the other side of the veil, but it was a fun ride to figure out how our two lovers would fair against the unexpected danger.

This was a fun quick read, and with so much magic, fae
Ciara Knight
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Across the Veil, was a well constructed character driven story in a quick, easy to read package. This is the first novella I’ve read that had a fully developed storyline and characters in only twenty-five pages while still achieving the emotional intensity a reader craves. I found myself quickly passionate about the heroine and her well-being. I highly recommend this for a short and enjoyable read. The only negative is that I wish there was more. Of course, that is a great place to leave a reade ...more
Shaeeza Haniff
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story packs everything a novel would have into 26 pages. Deceit, magic, love, supernatural beings, adventure, despair, romance, oh my!
A delightful tale for everyone. As an author of children's books I can see the story as one for every little girl who gets her prince charming (with some editing) and as a reader of YA books, I can see this developed into a full length novel to delight every teen who reads it.
Lisa has told this story very well for a fast read that leaves us panting and hanke
Carrie Enders
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I got a free ebook copy through the Read to Review. Thank you to the Author & R2R :)

Across the Veil was a short, sweet and fun paranormal short story. I would have liked to have seen a little more set up; the story jumps in so fast it feels a little abrupt. It would have been great to see a little bit of Natalie/Thalia's current life, her daily routine - and same goes for Keth.

The story moves quickly, and is full of romance, magic and good vs. evil. The end has a great fairy ta
Anjana
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm usually not a fan of short stories but Across the Veil left me wanting for more.
Lisa Kessler has managed to create characters that you can get attached to in a short period of time, which is definitely not easy. This book was a great short read and kept me involved and entertained from the beginning to the end.
I would've loved for it to be a novel/series as I know it's something I would read for sure! This is the kind of book that I'd re-read every time I'm looking for a short good story. T
Katrina
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Kessler has created a wonderful world of fairies in the midst of a movie set.
A fairy princess runs away because her betrothed and her true love aren't the same guy. Keth loves Talia, enough to give her up because of his brothers birthright.
While the story is short, this love story has the angst of young love. It has the twist of the evil brother, that has cursed Sumerland and so much more.Another very well written tale from a masterful author.
Krissys
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
Across the Veil by Lisa Kessler

Starring in a hit television show as human actress, Natalie Thurmont, her charmed new life is shattered when the past comes knocking on her door.

My Review:
So short but so sweet.

My Rating:
4 Stars

Reviewed By: Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews

Note: I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ghost of a Chance (1Night Stand, #45)
  • Under His Claw
  • Corporate Plaything
  • Night's Daughter (Flat Earth, #4-5)
  • Aaibhe-Shee Queen (Legend, #0.25)
  • Paranormal Playground (a collection of 10 Horror Erotica shorts)
  • Fairy Flavor (Fairy series, #1)
  • Thrill of the Night  (Avalon, #1)
  • Blood Vengeance (Blood Curse, #7)
  • Doing Thyme (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • Rituals of Passion (Brides of Caralon, #1)
  • Courts of the Fey
  • Passion After Dark (Passion, #1)
  • Moon Lust (Moon Lust, #1)
  • Of Blood and Pulse (The Pulse #2)
  • Wings of Redemption (Return to Sanctuary, #0.5)
  • Downpour (Ember, #2)
Join my Facebook Writer Page Here

Follow Me on Twitter Here

Lisa's Blog

Wow! Goodreads just asked me for my city of birth and date of death... What if I could answer that? Would I live life differently if I knew for sure how much longer I had left?

Interesting thought.

That's generally how my writer brain works. I've been dreaming up stories since I was in elementary school. My first book was titled