Start by marking “Art Geeks and Prom Queens” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  3,027 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
Being the new girl is tough—just ask sixteen-year-old Rio Jones. A New York transplant, Rio has no clue how she's going to fit in at her fancy new private school in Southern California. Plus, being late, overdressed, and named after a Duran Duran song doesn't make the first day any easier.

Then, Rio meets Kristi. Beautiful, rich, and a cheerleader, Kristi is the queen bee o
Published September 27th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Art Geeks and Prom Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Geeks and Prom Queens

Courtney
When I was seventeen, I was given a gift card to B&N for Christmas. I’d always loved to read, but had fallen out of the habit ever since I’d hit high school – at most, I was reading a few books per year. I just didn’t seem to have enough time for it. But what eventually got me back into reading was that gift card, fifty dollars of pure sweetness. One of the books I ended up buying with my little slice of heaven was Alyson Noel’s Evermore. While I didn’t exactly love it, seventeen-year-old ...more
Aldana
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reconozco que después de inhalar dos líneas de coca me siento muy hiperactiva, consciente y algo poderosa, y estoy vagando de un lado a otro hasta que termino de pie fuera de la pequeña cabaña al lado a la piscina.

description

puede haber algún que otro mini mini mini spoiler

Creo que esta es la primera vez que leo un libro juvenil con una portada tan infantil y un contenido tan turbio.
Esta historia es una montaña rusa impresionante. No paran de pasar cosas y, a medida que avanzamos, es todo más complicado
Charlize Diedericks
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Firstly this book was a big doze of reality! I am kind of a naive person and don't like reading about drugs, because it has never played a role in my life in any way, so I really don't relate to the character. As soon as it comes up I feel disconnected. But I have mixed feelings about this one. I really enjoyed the style of writing, although there were a few things I think that I would like to change about the story to make it more loveable. Like Jas... I loved everything about him, except the p ...more
Arminzerella
77 pages in and I'm really not enjoying this anymore. It starts out ok - Rio Jones is the new girl at her school (having just moved to California from New York). Rio's never been all that noticeable, but she gets her braces removed, shoots up a few inches, and, suddenly, in the new wardrobe her former-model mother has purchased for her, she's a knock-out. Rio falls in with a group of art-geek stoners her first day of school and develops a crush on Jas (hot surfer boy material). But she's not sur ...more
Claudia
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay, so let me start off by saying that this book is essentially the movie Mean Girls in written form; therefore, I can't say I hated this book entirely because I do like that movie. That being said, I also can't say I enjoyed this book, either. It was very predictable, and not just because of the "geeky girl becomes popular and realizes she should stay true to herself" storyline, but because it's a little too much like mean girls. Seriously, there's even a part where the queen bee mean girl ac ...more
Kayla
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ninth-grade
By Alyson Noel
St.Martin's Griffin
ISBN:0312336365

"She holds up the denim mini skirt and sparkly tanktop she gave me right after she broke the news about moving, as if it were no more than a simple costume change and that they weren't really wrecking my life" (Noel 1). Not everyone has to start over, to leave one place and go to another. New school, new house, no friends, and a mom who wants only what's "best" for her daughter.

Rio and her mom have moved from the fast pa
Izzy Naveda
Dec 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ni siquiera puedo empezar a describir todo lo que no me gustó de este libro. Tuvo un final aburrido y algo apresurado, sumado a que la protagonista no solo se vuelve una perra Queen Bee, sino que es peor que eso, simplemente llegué al punto en el que no soportaba ni leer sus estupideces, tsskk. Por lo menos reconoce cuando tiene que cambiar.
Kristen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fun change of pace. It was a quick entertaining read. If you are nerdy like me you'll appreciate it.
Emily
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: Art Geeks and Prom Queens

Author: Alyson Noel

Published By: St. Martin's Griffin; First Edition edition (April 1, 2010)

Genre: Young Adult

Recommended Age: +13

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 5 Ravens

I’m a sucker for Young Adult books especially some of the ones that have that good moral behind the story. With todays Youth seeming to loose their innocence younger and younger each year or having to deal with the
PhobicPrerogative
Apr 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
New girl who starts off pretty smart and confident, but at her initiation into the popular clique, she fizzles to weak, bitchy and a complete follower.

Irritating.

There's no other way around reviewing Art Geeks and Prom Queens than getting nasty. Halfway through, I'd rolled my eyes a few times, wondering if I was reading a cheesy diary of someone who is actually in high school, giving writing a go.
The tone of writing, the voice of the main character, all the brand name dropping and fancy living h
Amber
Aug 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What was this book?

I swear this is the ultimate fantasy of every girl, to somehow be magically 'pretty enough' to be noticed by the popular girl and welcomed into the folds.

Yes, this was a story about Mean Girls ... a twist on it.

It was so BAD. I can't tell you how many times the protagonist made NO sense. She stopped caring about her crush and started caring about the popular girls so fast it was unbelievable. Although what she did at the end was cool, she was just the most insufferable person
Stamyr
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyson Noel's form of writing really captures my attention. I loved alot of things about Rio. First of all: ♥heart the name. Second: I love how everyone seems to be against her but if she just open her mouth, she can bring them to their senses. And Third: I LOVED how she was clumsy and screwed everything up. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, I'm just happy this character made so much more than I have (well...). Rio is fun to chill with and i'm glad Alyson introduced me to her :) Thi ...more
Cyndi
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story. Lots of drug use, random hookups. Trying to reach teens 'on their level' to teach how to 'be yourself'. But...I'm not quite sure it made the connection. In the end after being tortured school-wide on the word of one person, she quickly and decisively turns it around by confronting this one person. Hmm. Then the story gets wrapped up into a tidy happy ending. One question...why not just ask if the guy has a girlfriend? Stop chasing other girls guys. Makes the heroine feel unredee ...more
Sandra Strange
Rio, named for her mom’s favorite Duran
Duran hit, has moved from New York to a fancy private school in Southern California. Almost immediately she has to choose between the “jet set” popular kids and the “art geeks” she meets in AP art class. Though the novel is positive, it includes short references assuming casual acceptance of recreational marijuana use, drinking (with negative consequences), and a relatively graphic near rape.

Taylor
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
*Actual Rating: 3.5/5*
I like this book. It isn't amazing, but it isn't terrible. It's a very fast paced read, and that's one reason I like it. I found the story to be a bit repetitive at times, but it didn't bother me too much. The concept of the story is pretty good, and in some parts, the main character conveys a good message. If you're looking for a fast paced read, I'd recommend this book to you!
Louise
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I am a big fan of Alyson Noel, So I was really looking forward to reading Art Geeks and Prom Queens - especially because it's not fantasy and paranormal like her other books I have read. I really enjoyed this book and the story was great and I couldn't put it down. If you like Meg Cabot then I would highly recommend this book. :]
Brianna
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alyson Noel really brought out the emotion in the characters. As I was reading it, I definitely felt like I was the main character. I would take a break from reading and come back to reality and find myself feeling exactly as the main character did and felt like I was living her life. It took awhile to realize that nothing was wrong and I managed to separate reality from fiction.
Hallela Hinton-williams
A book that was perfect for listening to while trying to fall asleep. It did make me question my future in school administration. And why anybody would name their character, over the age of 10, Jen-Jen un-ironically is beyond me, it was an okay, at times infuriating, book.
Eve Muratore
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, kind of short and shallow at some points. but still a good light read for before bed
Renee
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
haven't read it since I was 12. It was better back then. ahahhaha
Mia
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It really got me thinking about what I should be careful about when I go into high school and to always stay true to myself no matter what.
Kimberly Cayton
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
NO REAL SPOILERS BUT JUST BEING SAFE

From the first page of this book, it was painfully obvious that it was intended for someone a few years younger than me, although I am pretty sure my response would have been the same had I read it before now.

Immediately, I was struck by how entitled and whiny the main character, Rio, is. She complains about every aspect of her life, which gets annoying just about as quickly as you would think.

There were also several instances in the book where wild use of dru
Sleepless
When you compare between this and Mean Girls, this brings nothing new to the table. I can't think of a single thing that's different here. To me, that's a big problem.

I don't know why I have this book. I think I somehow remembered it would be about gay couples. This really influenced my reading because I kept thinking Rio would come out and date someone else.

I feel like Rio should have apologized to JC and it's not fair that just because he's a jock, Rio assumes he doesn't have feelings. There
Keisha Simpson-Baker
Most of the way through I kept thinking I was reading the movie Mean Girls. It was strikingly similar, girl hangs out with a male and female pair of outcasts, then gets sucked into the popular girl crowd. She then finds out the popular crowd isn't so nice. It would have been a good story if it hadn't been done before.

Also as of late I've been reading a lot of books that have a young female main character move to LA or SoCal, this particular book, the main character moved from NY to Orange Count
Aleisha  Zolman
For a common genre, (possibly overdone theme?) this was more enjoyable to listen to than I thought it would be! Enough current stuff to make it real. I would not recommend it to everyone, nevertheless!
Megan Kinderman
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really glad I wasn't popular in high school. I mean not that its always like this.. But it would suck.
Wizard
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cant-finish
Nope
Steph
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Essentially a book version of Mean Girls but with more drugs. Sometimes you need a junk book to get ready for epically long high fantasy :)
Keli burris
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. at some points it was slow. and you could tell it was a little outdated. but still a good read that kepted my attention. I enjoy this authors writing alot!
Harley
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Madison Mega-Mara...: #155 - Art Geeks and Prom Queens 1 1 Aug 31, 2015 08:29AM
  • In the Bad Boy's Bed
  • So Hot For You
  • Putting Boys on the Ledge (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #1)
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • Stuk
  • Summer Intern
  • Rhymes with Witches
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Prom Kings and Drama Queens
  • Robyn (Making a Splash, #1)
  • Faking Faith
  • The Star Shack
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
  • Magic Hands
  • Tangled Up in Love (Chicks with Sticks #1)
  • Crush Control
  • Hazing Meri Sugarman
  • Geek Magnet
200317
*Note to readers: I'm slowly trying to add to the long list of books I have read, books I am reading, books I want to read, and books I loved reading. I only add books I loved, hence all my ratings are 5 stars!

Alyson Noël is the #1 New York Times best selling, award-winning, author of 26 novels, including: Faking 19, Art Geeks and Prom Queens, Laguna Cove, Fly Me to the Moon, Kiss & Blog, Savi
More about Alyson Noel...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
“But why didn't you just ask me?" I set down my fork and glare at her.
"Because you were sleeping," She says, taking a sip if Chardonnay.
"I was taking a nap, Mom. It wasn't intended to be some kind of Disney fairy-tale hundred-year snooze.”
12 likes