Start by marking “The Betsy Tacy Treasury” as Want to Read:
The Betsy Tacy Treasury

The Betsy Tacy Treasury

(Betsy-Tacy #1-4)

“Some characters become your friends for life. That’s how it was for me with Betsy-Tacy.” —Judy Blume

The First Four Books in the Betsy-Tacy Series in One Volume

With Forewords by Judy Blume, Ann M. Martin and Johanna Hurwitz

The first four books in the beloved Betsy-Tacy series, together in one volume, ready to delight a new generation of readers—and to bring a grownup
Published November 8th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Betsy Tacy Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Betsy Tacy Treasury

Start your review of The Betsy Tacy Treasury
Stacia (the 2010 club)
********* Learning to Fly *********

******************************

It's so very hard to ever pick one single favorite book from one's childhood, but I have such an easy time picking out tons of 'favorites.' The Betsy-Tacy books would definitely be up there on the favorites list.

If there was ever a book character in child form who came close to who I was a child, it would have been Betsy, the star of these books. She was all over the place, and I loved her for it. Her crazy schemes and ideas
Soren Narnia
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's what I recommend for every jaded, bitter, exhausted human being who feels like the years are getting past them, nothing's ever as good as it once was, and life just isn't as wonderful as it seemed like it might be when we were young: read the Betsy and Tacy books. They possess innocence and a wide-eyed sense of simple discovery to the extreme, so much so that it's like drinking a magic elixir that briefly makes the world appear gentle and perfect. There's no brilliance here, and barely ...more
unknown
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 5-year-old is basically obsessed with this book (we've read it twice; note it is 700 pages). I dig it too. Maud Hart Lovelace understands a lot about childhood, and somehow writes about it genuinely without nodding too hard to parents in the process.
Julie G
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, classics
I would hope that every little girl met Betsy, Tacy, and Tib as a child, but, sadly, I don't think that's the case. I was fortunate enough to read these several times throughout my childhood, so I was thrilled when my friend Trish from TLC offered this new collection of the first four books in the series for review. If you aren't familiar, these books were written in the 1940's and 50's by Maud Hart Lovelace and are based on her own turn of the century childhood. Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are three ...more
Books I'm Not Reading
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readalong, buddy-read
I love these books. I wish I had read them growing up, but I'm so happy to have read them at all. This was the second time I've read these and I was moved by different things this time around, but still moved. I love these characters so much. Thanks to all of you who are participating in the readalong and I am greatly enjoying seeing the other videos people have created about these books.
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Betsy-Tacy Treasury is the first four of the Betsy-Tacy books: Betsy-Tacy, Betsy-Tacy and Tib, Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill, and Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown. Included in the book are great forwards by current authors that are also fans including Judy Blume, Ann M. Martin, and Johanna Hurwitz. There are also sections at the end with background about Maud Hart Lovelace, illustrator Lois Lenski, and each of the four books included. I loved all of this information and found it very ...more
Margaret
(This is a review of the whole series, by the way.)

Maud Hart Lovelace was born in 1892 in Mankato, Minnesota, the town she later immortalized as Deep Valley in her beloved series of Betsy-Tacy books. These follow the adventures of childhood friends Betsy Ray and Tacy Kelly from the age of five, when they meet for the first time at Betsy's birthday party, through the school years to marriage and beyond.

The books are based largely on Lovelace's own life, and I think this is what gives them their
Christy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I gave this to my granddaughter Paige for her birthday, and then I decided I absolutely had to have a copy for myself. It's the first four Betsy-Tacy books, in one volume! When I was in elementary school, I had to wait for them to be returned to the school library, and hope I got to them first. (No such thing as requesting them on line, back then.) Now I was able to read all four in the right order, unlike 56 years ago, when I read whichever one came in. They're absolutely delightful, just like ...more
Cally73
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. It was only through friends that I ever heard about the Betsy-Tacy books, and finally got around to reading them. Now I know why they're so loved. These first four books in the series are so heartwarming, sweet and with a lovely sense of humour.
Melanie Fishbane
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series is so delightful. I'm so glad that it was recommended to me. I love how the novels evolve as Betsy does, particularly in Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown. I'm excited to keep going.
Anna
I thought it was about time to revisit these favorite classics from my childhood, and I had a grand time doing so. The "Betsy-Tacy Treasury" consists of the first four books in Maud Hart Lovelace's series: "Betsy-Tacy", "Betsy-Tacy and Tib", "Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill", and "Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown". These four books meant so much to me in my childhood, and I haven't read the books in the series where the girls grow to high school, college and adulthood-age, but now I really want to ...more
Lori Schmidt
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really good set of books to read with kids. Nice to see how kids lived a hundred years ago and the differences in technology. Its also interesting to see how the girls think as little kids and see them grow up. My girls loved the stories.
Jessica
S.’s second time through! M. And I shared the reading, so I think by now I’ve read all, or at least almost-all, of the chapters. She’s not ready for the high school part of the series yet, but I want to read them!
unknown
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, readalouds
We stopped reading after making it through 3 or the 4 books in this treasury, because I think they were getting a bit too complex for my 5-year-old, but she really wants to keep going with them, and so do I—when she's a bit older, we'll definitely continue this delightful series, which rings so true, even 70 years later.
Teri-K
I'm giving this edition to my 10 year old "niece" for Christmas this year. I loved this series as a girl, in fact I named my daughter after the MC, and I'm always happy to share it with girls today. I chose this version over the hardback as this retains the original illustrations by Lois Lenski. (I dislike the newer childish illustrations the hardback version uses.)

This series is unusual in that the first books are written as easy readers, and as the friends grow up the books get harder. But no
Florinda
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Harper Perennial has made a project of reissuing the works of Maud Hart Lovelace during the last three years, and they’ve now worked their way back to the beginning. Unlike some of her later books featuring an older Betsy Ray, the earliest of Lovelace/’s autobiographical children’s novels about Betsy and her friends have rarely been out of print, but now the first four books in the series have been collected in a one-volume “Modern Classics” edition, featuring the original illustrations. Like ...more
Sara
There's a little history here...I read these years and years ago when I was in elementary school. I used to check them out of the library...at least the first two. I don't remember the others. But I used to read it over and over again. As the years went on, I always remembered the images this book gave me, but I had forgotten the titles. I only remembered that one of the girls was named Betsy. I thought the other was named Tracy, but I was wrong. I tried to remember the titles and have been ...more
Jared
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this book (set of books) enough. They are really wonderful and every girl should read them. Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are three friends in Minnesota that live in the early 1900s, and like the Edward Eager "Magic" books, really do a great job of showing what it's like to be a kid. I got this book for my daughter for Christmas and we've been reading it off and on for the past month or two. Great great book!

Ok...now that I'm done, I still stand with this decision. Can't get enough of
Rachel
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a rare children's book that can transport this adult reader in 2019 so convincingly back into the nostalgic childhood of the late 1800's-early 1900's that I was not only fully persuaded that it was my own, but whenever I saw my teens distracted on their phones, I desperately ached for it to be their's as well. No technological distractions, no "noise" from the world, just fresh air and wide-eyed innocent adventure. I felt like I was exploring "the big hill" and the whole of "Deep Valley" ...more
Erin
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 5 and up, and people who love good kid-lit
I was so thrilled to find this hardcover collection of the first four Betsy-Tacy books (BETSY-TACY, BETSY-TACY AND TIB, BETSY AND TACY GO OVER THE BIG HILL and BETSY AND TACY GO DOWNTOWN)...a great set of memories from my childhood reading list, and it lead me to Betsy's high school adventures, which I hadn't read. An excellent gift for an elementary school reader!
Ro Givens
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I missed these as a child. They are great children's stories about precocious little girls (I guess by the 4th one they are actually already 12). The first 2 deal with death in a child-like way, so that's helpful if you want/need to explain this to a child. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.
Jeslyn
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. Delightful. Will be purchasing multiple copies for young friends. Lois Lenski's illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to Maud Hart Lovelace''s charming stories of growing up in the Midwest in the early years of the 20th century.
Sheila Mayo
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All girls, young and old
The betsy Tacy books for the most part, took place in Mankato, Minnesota where my mother grew up. She herself read the books and then passed them to my sister and I.I passed them on to my girls who passed them on to their girls. Wonderful, endearing books with adorable illustrations.
Beth
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read aloud with my daughter. Lots of good memories from reading them as a child, and now, sharing memories with my daughter, chuckling and discussing these long ago lives that still seem to fresh and identifiable to us.
Jeannie
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great trip back to childhood.
Penelope  ~Conversations with my cat~
I just love Betsy and Tacy! Tib too!
Amy Austin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how I missed this book series as a child, but I’m so happy my friend (and librarian) introduced me to it now. What a delight to read these uplifting childhood stories and watch Betsy and her friends grow from little five year olds to age twelve. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series. And if I ever have grandchildren, copies of this book will be sure to be under a Christmas tree!
Beverly
I loved this as much as whenI first read it as a child (maybe more) and when I re-read when my daughter was a child. From another era and corny with it, these novels are still irresistible. The goings on in Deep Valley Minnesota, patterned after the author's home town, are a delightful slice of Americana.
Brave
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Betsy-Tacy: 3 stars
Betsy-Tacy and Tib: 3 stars
Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill: 4 stars
Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown: 4.5, maybe even 5 stars, I loved this one. Would've loved it even more as a child, I'm sure.

I also loved all the notes at the end about the author, illustrator, and each book. Would definitely recommend these bind-up editions.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• More All-of-a-Kind Family
  • Home for the Holidays
  • The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown
  • Pies & Prejudice
  • Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)
  • Wish You Were Eyre
  • Bloomability
  • Mother-Daughter Book Camp
  • Much Ado About Anne
  • The Worst Witch Saves the Day (Worst Witch, #5)
  • The Worst Witch to the Rescue (Worst Witch, #6)
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • The Dangers of Candy Canes
  • Celebration!
  • Aunt Bel
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Introverted Mom: Your Guide to More Calm, Less Guilt, and Quiet Joy
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above

Betsy-Tacy (10 books)
  • Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5)
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • Betsy and the Great World (Betsy-Tacy, #9)
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
“Do you girls have hope chests?' Lloyd asked.
We certainly do.'
I don't,' said Betsy. 'My husband and I are going to use paper plates and napkins.'
Poor Joe!'
Lucky Larry!”
13 likes
“Some characters become your friends for life. That’s how it was for me with Betsy and Tacy. —JUDY BLUME” 1 likes