Start by marking “Snow” as Want to Read:
Snow

Snow

Snow is a 1998 New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year and a 1999 Caldecott Honor Book.

"It's snowing, said boy with dog.
"It's only a snowflake," said grandfather with beard.

No one thinks one or two snowflakes will amount to anything. Not the man with the hat or the lady with the umbrella. Not even the television or the radio forecasters. But one boy and his dog have fa
Published July 15th 1998 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow

Start your review of Snow
Mischenko
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Snow is a wonderful story about a boy who is wishing for snow and believes in his heart that it's coming. With just a few snowflakes falling, the adults he runs into on the street say it's nothing, it's not enough, and it'll just melt. Will the little boy get the snow he's waiting for?

We always enjoy this book because it's a simple winter story that feels so real. As a child, I was just like the little boy and couldn't wait for snow. Often times, my grandfather would say, "It's going over the l
Calista
I think this book is wonderful. No one has a name, they have identifiers like ‘boy with dog’ and ‘man with hat’. There is a line per page, so this is a beginning story for children, but it didn’t feel beneath an older reader. It felt minimal like the snow. We see one flake in the air and then two and all the while boy with dog notices and people tell him it’s not going to snow. TV says it won’t snow, but boy with dog knows it’s snowing. He is so excited over the snow and the adults run for cover ...more
Manybooks
Now while I do realise and even much appreciate that Uri Shulevitz's Snow is a Caldecott honour winner and that most of the reviews on Goodreads seem not only positive but often even quite glowingly so, I am sorry, but on a personal aesthetic level, I simply CANNOT visually stand Shulevitz' accompanying illustrations (as they are much too cartoon-like, much too caricature-like for my tastes, and really, the ONLY visuals I have actually somewhat enjoyed are the images of mounds and mounds of snow ...more
Lisa Vegan
Very enjoyable!

I was enchanted with this book. It’s just lovely, and fun and whimsical. I loved the dog!

It’s a very simple but very enjoyable story. The illustrations are fabulous.

I didn’t at all need the Mother Goose characters participating; I think the story would have been better without them, but they’re okay and without them for me this book is near perfection.

So much is told without words: that grandfather lives with the family, that the town has at least two bookstores, and how snowfall
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the confidence of the little boy who realizes its the beginning of the first snowfall of the season, while all the adults pooh-pooh it as just a few flakes. The town and its inhabitants have such character; this is a quick, delightful read. As my GoodReads friend Lisa said, the story and illustrations in this book are funny and comforting; a wonderful mix.
Ronyell
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the actual first story that I have read from popular children’s illustrator Uri Shulevitz, aside from the popular book “The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship.” “Snow” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Uri Shulevitz which is about a small boy wishing for snow in his small city. “Snow” might be a bit simplistic for some children, but snow lovers will definitely enjoy this book!

The book starts off with an image of a gray city and then suddenly, one snowflake starts falling towards the city a
Melki
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even storybook characters can't resist coming out to play when the white stuff turns a drab, gray village into a winter wonderland. It's easy to see why the author's illustrations won a Caldecott medal.

description
Robert Davis
**** Caldecott Honor (1999) ****

A grey town turns into a wonderland for a boy and his imagination when it begins to snow. Simple and pleasant, but not very memorable.
Luann
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like Uri Shulevitz' quirky illustrations in this one. The snowflakes, while tiny, are perfectly visible. And Shulevitz' people are very fun. My favorite is "woman with umbrella." My favorite line in the book, when it continues to snow despite predictions on the radio and televion, is: "But snowflakes don't listen to radio, snowflakes don't watch television." I didn't quite understand why the Mother Goose characters came down from the display at the Mother Goose Books bookstore to dance ...more
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It amazes me how something as simple as snow can change everything. The look, pace, and feel of the day! This captures that feeling perfectly—the anticipation in your heart and belly as the flakes start to float down from the sky--that something is about to happen!

I loved the look of this book too. The guy with the boom box! I want him on a t-shirt ASAP! :D

1/30/12

Abigail
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Picture-Book Readers Who Love Snow & Wintry Scenes
A little boy has faith that the snow will come, in this Caldecott Honor Book from Uri Sheluvitz, who also won a Caldecott Medal for Arthur Ransome's The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship: A Russian Tale . As each naysayer denies the possibility of snow, the boy and his dog set off through the city, welcoming the snow when it does indeed begin to come down. Joined by the Mother Goose figures which hop down off a bookstore sign, they cavort in the snowy streets, celebrating the beauty and w ...more
Jessica
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and simple book about winter. My kids were riveted, and so was I.
Terri Lynn
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love this children's picture book about a snowy day and the little boy and dog who enjoy it. I also love the artwork which is reminiscent of some of the picture books written and illustrated in the 1040's, 1950's and 1960's which I enjoyed as a child in the 1960's.

The city and sky are quite gray and boring until the very first snowflake falls. Immediately alert, a little boy and his dog look out the window and see the snowflake. The boy dances with excitement though his grandfather says it is
Dolly
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is an imaginative tale about a snowy day. No one believed it would snow except for "boy with dog." Fun illustrations and simple narrative that is perfect for beginning readers. We enjoyed reading this book together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the February 2017- Caldecott Honors 1998-2002 discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Barbara
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We went to the library today to check out my grandson's beloved "Snow Sounds". Then he decided he wanted lots of "Snow" books and this is one the librarian found for us, along with "The Snowy Day".
"Snow" is a quick book so read it slowly to your grandchildren. It's a book of anticipation, of hoping for a major snow fall from a child's point of view. The illustrations are lovely and sow is the book!
Mary Jo Garcia
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a Caldecott Honor book, and it's easy to see why. The illustrations are amazing. It's not easy to make snow pop off the page. It's white! The illustrator and author had the brilliant concept of making the city start out as a monochromatic grey and slowly beocme blanketed in snow. The process is depicted as magical for the boy in the book but burdensome for adults -- just as it is in the real world.
Janet
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having just read the children's non-fiction title, the Story of Snow this Caldecott honor book was the perfect follow up. It begins with a young boy seeing just one flake of snow and as the illustrations progress more and more flakes arrive covering the town. It is charming that the only store front sign that one can read says "Mother Goose Books". Lovely and peaceful--just like snow.
Judy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the beginning, everything is gray. Then, we see the child's response to a snowflake, followed by the very different responses of the adults, and more color appears.

The message reminds me of Rachel Carson's Sense of Wonder. This was reinforced by the pages showing the Mother Goose book store.

A keeper.
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-K
Shelves: winterstorytimes
Somber pictures...snow is predicted, but nobody believes it, even as snowflakes begin to appear. Very few words, and it's all in HOW you read it that makes it special.
Sylvester
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, squirt
3* art
3* story

I love the boy's excitement about the first snowflake - I can relate!
Skip
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Nicely illustrated story about snow, a subject well known to the Northeastern U.S. this year. We got another 6+ inches today.
Heather
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lipko
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seeing the entire sky and buildings are grey, a young boy knows in his heart that snow will appear.

Throughout the book we cheer for the young book and his conviction and, who holds fast to his belief in the face of cynical, rational adult voices of reason.

As one flake turns to two and the original fake melts and another falls, the young boy knows that all snowflakes know is how to snow, snow and then snow more.

As the boy and his dog run past the Mother Goose bookstore, the characters fly off th
Kristalina O'bannon
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was fun to read and would be good to read to children on the first snow day in winter. The illustrations are very detailed even though there is little color on them, they are mainly different shades of gray and browns. It might be a good book to have children dig deeper into about why the author and illustrator choose little color. Children could also be asked to find a theme throughout book, which might be children are not always consider smart and trustworthy by adults. I am not quit ...more
AMY
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-5
(Caldecott Honor book) What a neat book! I love how the author manages to get the reader’s eye to zero in on the little snowflake. It is a very simple storyline that is so wonderful. The fantasy elements arrive later in the story and make it so wonderful! Kids will love it. You really need to read this one up close to see the snow magic and feel the excitement of the boy as it begins to snow in the town. Loved it! Highly recommended for Grades K-5.
This was a fun little children’s book. The way that they characters were drawn in this book were quite comical. I found myself amused at their exaggerated proportions. The story was a simple one, but one that would still amuse children. I would probably recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Wonderful book, really captures that gloomy day that turns into a snowy day. Text is sparse and illustrations use a lot of grey. A small boy is excited about snow while the radio, TV and adults around him tell him that it won't snow. Of course, it does snow and the grey town turns into a town blanketed in bright snow.
Jenny
I think both the poem and illustrations are just okay.
Marissa Lazar
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
"Snow" by Uri Shulevitz is a perfect example of how to be courageous and to stick to your guns even when no one else believes you. The little boy in this storybook got so excited when he saw the first snowflake, but everyone kept telling him that it was not snowing. He then saw two snowflakes, then three, then four, but everyone kept saying that it was not snowing, even the news and the radio. But as the boy and the reader soon find out is that snow does not listen to the radio, and snow does no ...more
Erika Bowen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
This is a Caldecott Honor Book. A boy and his dog are excited to see snow. No one pays attention to the snow because it is only one or two flakes. However, they pay attention once the whole city is covered.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
Grades K-2
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
This book has a theme of culture and diversity.
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading
This would be a good book for students who are different. They notice

• White Snow, Bright Snow
  • The Hello, Goodbye Window
  • In the Small, Small Pond
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
  • Hot Air: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Hot-Air Balloon Ride
  • What Do You Do With a Tail Like This?
  • The Paperboy
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems
  • Sector 7
  • Grandpa Green
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
  • Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more

News & Interviews