Start by marking “Snow” as Want to Read:
Snow

Snow

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  3,875 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
Snow is a 1998 New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year and a 1999 Caldecott Honor Book.

"It's snowing, said boy with dog.
"It's only a snowflake," said grandfather with beard.

No one thinks one or two snowflakes will amount to anything. Not the man with the hat or the lady with the umbrella. Not even the television or the radio forecasters. But one boy and his dog have fa
Published July 15th 1998 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow

Mischenko
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Snow is a wonderful story about a boy who is wishing for snow and believes in his heart that it's coming. With just a few snowflakes falling, the adults he runs into on the street say it's nothing, it's not enough, and it'll just melt. Will the little boy get the snow he's waiting for?

We always enjoy this book because it's a simple winter story that feels so real. As a child, I was just like the little boy and couldn't wait for snow. Often times, my grandfather would say, "It's going over the l
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the confidence of the little boy who realizes its the beginning of the first snowfall of the season, while all the adults pooh-pooh it as just a few flakes. The town and its inhabitants have such character; this is a quick, delightful read. As my GoodReads friend Lisa said, the story and illustrations in this book are funny and comforting; a wonderful mix.
Lisa Vegan
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable!

I was enchanted with this book. It’s just lovely, and fun and whimsical. I loved the dog!

It’s a very simple but very enjoyable story. The illustrations are fabulous.

I didn’t at all need the Mother Goose characters participating; I think the story would have been better without them, but they’re okay and without them for me this book is near perfection.

So much is told without words: that grandfather lives with the family, that the town has at least two bookstores, and how snowfall
Ronyell
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the actual first story that I have read from popular children’s illustrator Uri Shulevitz, aside from the popular book “The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship.” “Snow” is a Caldecott Honor Book by Uri Shulevitz which is about a small boy wishing for snow in his small city. “Snow” might be a bit simplistic for some children, but snow lovers will definitely enjoy this book!

The book starts off with an image of a gray city and then suddenly, one snowflake starts falling towards the city a
Luann
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like Uri Shulevitz' quirky illustrations in this one. The snowflakes, while tiny, are perfectly visible. And Shulevitz' people are very fun. My favorite is "woman with umbrella." My favorite line in the book, when it continues to snow despite predictions on the radio and televion, is: "But snowflakes don't listen to radio, snowflakes don't watch television." I didn't quite understand why the Mother Goose characters came down from the display at the Mother Goose Books bookstore to dance ...more
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
It amazes me how something as simple as snow can change everything. The look, pace, and feel of the day! This captures that feeling perfectly—the anticipation in your heart and belly as the flakes start to float down from the sky--that something is about to happen!

I loved the look of this book too. The guy with the boom box! I want him on a t-shirt ASAP! :D

1/30/12

Jessica
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and simple book about winter. My kids were riveted, and so was I.
Robert
**** Caldecott Honor (1999) ****

A grey town turns into a wonderland for a boy and his imagination when it begins to snow. Simple and pleasant, but not very memorable.
Terri Lynn
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love this children's picture book about a snowy day and the little boy and dog who enjoy it. I also love the artwork which is reminiscent of some of the picture books written and illustrated in the 1040's, 1950's and 1960's which I enjoyed as a child in the 1960's.

The city and sky are quite gray and boring until the very first snowflake falls. Immediately alert, a little boy and his dog look out the window and see the snowflake. The boy dances with excitement though his grandfather says it is
Dolly
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is an imaginative tale about a snowy day. No one believed it would snow except for "boy with dog." Fun illustrations and simple narrative that is perfect for beginning readers. We enjoyed reading this book together.

This book was selected as one of the books for the February 2017- Caldecott Honors 1998-2002 discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Barbara
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We went to the library today to check out my grandson's beloved "Snow Sounds". Then he decided he wanted lots of "Snow" books and this is one the librarian found for us, along with "The Snowy Day".
"Snow" is a quick book so read it slowly to your grandchildren. It's a book of anticipation, of hoping for a major snow fall from a child's point of view. The illustrations are lovely and sow is the book!
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a Caldecott Honor book, and it's easy to see why. The illustrations are amazing. It's not easy to make snow pop off the page. It's white! The illustrator and author had the brilliant concept of making the city start out as a monochromatic grey and slowly beocme blanketed in snow. The process is depicted as magical for the boy in the book but burdensome for adults -- just as it is in the real world.
Janet
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having just read the children's non-fiction title, the Story of Snow this Caldecott honor book was the perfect follow up. It begins with a young boy seeing just one flake of snow and as the illustrations progress more and more flakes arrive covering the town. It is charming that the only store front sign that one can read says "Mother Goose Books". Lovely and peaceful--just like snow.
This was a fun little children’s book. The way that they characters were drawn in this book were quite comical. I found myself amused at their exaggerated proportions. The story was a simple one, but one that would still amuse children. I would probably recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-K
Shelves: winterstorytimes
Somber pictures...snow is predicted, but nobody believes it, even as snowflakes begin to appear. Very few words, and it's all in HOW you read it that makes it special.
Skip
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Nicely illustrated story about snow, a subject well known to the Northeastern U.S. this year. We got another 6+ inches today.
Jenny
I think both the poem and illustrations are just okay.
Erika Bowen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1. Book Summary in your own words
This is a Caldecott Honor Book. A boy and his dog are excited to see snow. No one pays attention to the snow because it is only one or two flakes. However, they pay attention once the whole city is covered.
2. Grade level, interest level, lexile
Grades K-2
3. Appropriate classroom use (subject area)
This book has a theme of culture and diversity.
4. Individual students who might benefit from reading
This would be a good book for students who are different. They notice
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Wonderful book, really captures that gloomy day that turns into a snowy day. Text is sparse and illustrations use a lot of grey. A small boy is excited about snow while the radio, TV and adults around him tell him that it won't snow. Of course, it does snow and the grey town turns into a town blanketed in bright snow.
Beverly
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
One of the things I liked about this book was the challenge of finding the snowflakes in the various spreads. The other thing I liked was that although in the beginning the skies, buildings, and people are in somewhat muted hues, as the snow falls more and more, the colors get brighter until the sun comes out and the sky is a brilliant blue against the snow. I also liked that the statues (?) from the Mother Goose Books store come to life and come dancing off of the building, and play with the bo ...more
Michele
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My children and I loved this book about the slow beginning of a snowstorm that builds into a steady storm. We loved the simplicity and the Russian flair (few or no articles in the sentences). I loved the initial denial by adults in the story that the snow was going to happen. I also loved the joy depicted when the city turns from grey and gloomy to bright and white with the snow. My children loved the strange magical creatures that danced off into the snow. A simple and fun joy.
Stefanie Burns
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott-honor
Whimsical story about a "boy with dog" excited about snow. The illustrations are cheerful and pretty. Even the reader joins I the boy's enthusiasm for the snow. The illustrations of the town and the characters are engaging and silly. I couldn't help but smile while reading this book. However, the addition of the Mother Goose Books' store characters joins the fray lessened my enjoyment of this book. It was a believable and relatable story until then.
Samantha
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book about the beauty and excitement of the first snow. A little boy insists that it will snow as the snowflakes add up in the sky, but adults everywhere insist it will not. The gray city is transformed into a glittering palace of white. Simple text makes for a good read aloud and playful illustrations include fun not mentioned in text such as fairytale characters walking out of store showcases to play in the fresh fallen snow. Must read.
Henry
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. What a great, quiet example of the power of picture books. It's not only a beautiful little story, but sends an important message that it's okay to trust your own eyes and instincts — no matter what other people (or even television and radio) may say. Simple text, gorgeous drawings. A perfect little book.
Lizzie
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a lovely little surrealistic eastern-European gem.
ღ Carol jinx~☆~
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book. The story was great and had some excellent lines about snow not listening to radio or watching TV.
Garren
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This fellow became one of my instant favorites. Each book is like a dream that ends on an odd beat, but this only makes them linger in the mind.
Didi
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorites ... so simple, and so beautiful ... just perfect. Always makes me cry. :)
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hailey Lavender
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: is-330-exam-2
As a reader who loves snow and hopes for snow each and every winner, I really enjoyed the story that went along with this snow day. The book is geared towards an audience age 3 years and older, which I think is appropriate. For younger children, teachers and adults can use this as a teaching tool to lead into a lesson about winter, the seasons, and what snow days really entail. The illustrations throughout the book were created using watercolors. The colors throughout the book are very soft, and ...more
  • Snowballs
  • Mouse's First Snow
  • In the Small, Small Pond
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Nothing At All
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more
More about Uri Shulevitz...